Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Prometheus

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by owinn View Post
    In interviews with Rapace she says Shaw becomes a warrior towards the end of the movie - she's not going to be able to just turn up at the front door of the Engineers homeworld and politely ask for answers and then fly home, especially considering the prior knowledge that they want us dead. If there is no ass kicking in the next movie it's going to be pretty shit.
    The next Ripley. I can see it. Unsuspecting woman, eventually battle-hardened from all the shit she's been though. Showing up at the door step of the engineers isn't going to be pretty. Especially, when her support comes with a decapitated android unless she manages to patch him up somehow between now and then. And wouldn't it be funny if the enginner in the ship on Alien is her. That suit is armor connected to the seat. I'm just guessing and running my mouth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    And wouldn't it be funny if the enginner in the ship on Alien is her. That suit is armor connected to the seat. I'm just guessing and running my mouth.
    Haha, I think you could have just spoiled the end of the supposed 'sequel'.

But wouldn't it be beautiful, if that was the case. The fact that humans learn nothing from past mistakes and history repeats itself once again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I’ve read some of the Dr Who similarities, but did anyone else feel there was a lot of X Files overlap too?
    (I’m not trying to say the X Files mythos was a completely “original” idea/concept)
    Black goo, Shared DNA/origins of life, various black goo mutations, originators come back to destroy, a miracle pregnancy, translations of glyphs that lead to god concepts, etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha 60 View Post
    Black goo, Shared DNA/origins of life, various black goo mutations, originators come back to destroy, a miracle pregnancy, translations of glyphs that lead to god concepts, etc
    These:
    • mysterious liquids
    • common ancestors
    • shapeshifters
    • punitive deities
    • miracle pregnancy
    • monoliths/glyphs that lead to deities

are all common motifs or archetypes in literature and folklore.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    don't know if this was already posted but over at the Prometheus forum there are some nice scans from several magazines that deal with SFX and cinematography. Spoiler heavy but worth a read:

http://www.prometheusforum.net/discu...rapher-updated

And I still haven't seen that goddamn movie. O well...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, I know, that is why I said it was not original to the X Files, but the way it was presented/explored is very similar to X Files. I found those archetypes lazily explored and portrayed in the film. I could say the same thing about the pseudo religious allusions/symbolism in the film or the reason those archetypes also show up in religion. But, I was just saying that of the many generic uses of those concepts (especially in science fiction), the X Files was fairly recent and very similarly explored.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Nice to see Ridley Scott designed the Engineers off of Trent.
    I was just searching for images and found this:

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/comm...ums/topic/8376

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    TBH I was a bit disappointed that the engineers were all men.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    The engineer women were all at home knitting sweaters and making bread. LIKE THEY SHOULD BE.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Scott on purposefully leaving it open ended for a sequel he has alway wanted to do (Alien/Jockey homeworld) and an indication that they may return to calling the sequel Paradise

"From the very beginning, I was working from a premise that lent itself to a sequel, I really don't want to meet God in the first one. I want to leave it open to Shaw saying, 'I don’t want to go back to where I came from. I want to go where they came from.'""I'd love to explore where [Dr Shaw] goes next and what does she do when she gets there, because if it is paradise, paradise cannot be what you think it is. Paradise has a connotation of being extremely sinister and ominous."
    "Because [the Engineers] are such aggressive fuckers, I always had it in there that the God-like creature that you will see actually is not so nice, and is certainly not God."

The above refers to Paradise, which was the name of the film before Prometheus was chosen instead, and by the sounds of things it will be the title of the sequel which seems quite likely to be made based on the above. Although you'd imagine we'll have a bit of a wait as Scott is committed to making The Counselor first, and more than likely the new Blade Runner film after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    The engineer women were all at home knitting sweaters and making bread. LIKE THEY SHOULD BE.
    Engineer Queen! 'these things ain't bugs man'

The next Ripley. I can see it. Unsuspecting woman, eventually battle-hardened from all the shit she's been though. Showing up at the door step of the engineers isn't going to be pretty. Especially, when her support comes with a decapitated android unless she manages to patch him up somehow between now and then. And wouldn't it be funny if the enginner in the ship on Alien is her. That suit is armor connected to the seat. I'm just guessing and running my mouth.
    I have also thought that this might be a way explain the LV426 derelict, but that guy was massive, and old what we REALLY want to know is more about the Alien egg cargo, where do THEY come from, how did they get there? What happened to that particular pilot?

Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    I'd like to see a distant prequel to Prometheus that involves alternate-history, along the lines of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

The film could be Jesus Christ: Alien Emissary.
    Or maybe The Last Temptation of Space Jesus.
    Or The Passion of the Engineer.
    Or The Greatest Alien Story Ever Told.

Aliens Vs Jesus

EDIT
    I just freaked out... AvP just started on TV and the opening is almost like-for-like identical to the beginning of Prometheus, not the part with the Engineer but the archaeological dig, the funding of the mission bringing scientists together on a trip to a hostile environment to investigate a bunch of pyramids. Hell even the mission briefing is near enough the same. Yow.
    Last edited by owinn; 06-27-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    That engineer was huge. She seemed to manage though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    That engineer was huge. She seemed to manage though.
    Tiny Elvis: Hey man! Look at that Engineer! That Engineer is HUGE! I'm just sayin' that's a big Engineer, that's all.

So, if you're curious about what Shaw does in the time between Prometheus and Paradise, well, here ya go:

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    This might sound sad to pretty much everyone around here, but I FINALLY get to see this fucking movie tomorrow and even that is an advanced screening over here.

I'm beyond confused as to why this movie arrives here so god damn late. Every other big summer flick (Avengers, Snow White, Spider-Man and Batman etc.) is shown already while this one took about 2 months to finally get here. I mean, wtf?! Still psyched as hell to finally see what has been spoiled for me since it hit theatres in the UK. :P

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    studio/theatre chain deals is why. or even simpler...$$$.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yeah, basically. We're seeing more movies release internationally first now because the American movie market is slowly withering as the international one takes on a larger slice of the pie, and studios are going to go for the biggest money first.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Guess you're right, but with the DVD/BD release not too far away one has to wonder if people will still churn out the money for a cinema ticket or just simply rent it in a few weeks. Seeing that Germany is not the smallest market such a late release date (August 9th) seems rather stupid. But oh well, can't change it now.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    This might sound sad to pretty much everyone around here, but I FINALLY get to see this fucking movie tomorrow and even that is an advanced screening over here.

I'm beyond confused as to why this movie arrives here so god damn late. Every other big summer flick (Avengers, Snow White, Spider-Man and Batman etc.) is shown already while this one took about 2 months to finally get here. I mean, wtf?! Still psyched as hell to finally see what has been spoiled for me since it hit theatres in the UK. :P
    I've heard there was an assumption that Germany and Italy box office would be hit hard by Euro 2012. Obviously that's long since finished at this point, but I guess they needed to find the next available release window after quite a packed summer.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Wow, so finally saw it and I have to say that I was pretty pleased with it! Definitely left with a feeling that I did not have for a long time after going to the movies. The room was packed and every single ticket sold for tonight. They even added a second screening due to the overwhelming demand which should still be playing as I write this.

Only downsides: It could have been so much better though!

Let's say add half an hour run-time to let the atmosphere soak in a bit more, better cuts, some soundtrack tweeking and using more of the unused concept art (e.g. Fifield monster and Hammerpede). The many nods to the Alien franchise were amazing though and I was in awe looking at those great images the film delivered. One of the best looking sci-fi flicks out there for sure!

Seeing the Engineer getting into the Space Jockey chair and the Derelict/Juggernaut starting up might have been my favorite part and was totally worth the wait. I was literaly shaking. That and David activating the log in the chair-room. Even the 3D looked amazing, although I still think its just a feature and does not justify such a high ticket price.

It also did not hurt that the whole movie was pretty much spoiled for me already. I still had lots of fun and could already focus one some of the things you guys and people on other forums have mentioned.

A proper DC can't come soon enough, even if it's just for an extended opening scene (that one was amazing aswell although quite unusual for the Alien franchise IMHO). Will go and see it again with a friend when it hits theaters offically here.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Saw this tonight in 3D. Picture quality/cinematography was incredible. Lots of scary bits and they were the highlight for me. That stupid fuck deserved to get his arm broken by the lamprey creature. Awesome acting for David's part. The egg-blob buttons in the Engineers' command chamber made me chuckle. Like the primordial DNA insta-random evolution sauce. Not sure if it's random though..maybe there's a sequence or progression. My impression was that the sauce mixes with each life-form it comes in contact with in a different way.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    10 minutes of unreleased footage . nice.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    that was great. i wonder why they cut some of that. it added to the characters quite a bit.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    also drip drip... as they say on the internet...

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    great find and pretty good scenes. especially the one with Shaw & Holloways, aswell as the extended Weyland/Vickers scene would have really added to the film. Can't wait to see the other 20+ minutes that'll be on the bluray!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's gone. . .

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    ...and music, editing, sound design, production design (worth noting that there's a shit ton of stunning concept art for the film, almost all of which was neutered or dropped on the way to the cameras. Pretty telling that something's fucked when you bring Giger on board and only have him draw up a couple of wall murals, partially glimpsed for a few seconds during the film), not to mention a couple of suspect acting performances.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Although I disagree with anyone who dislikes this movie with a militant fervor (there are people with nothing better to do than actively WANTING a movie to fail as though it raped their grandma), it certainly has its flaws. There are those however who insist 'WTF I DON'T KNOW WAH HAPPEN?!" after seeing it, those who didn't understand what was going on are really failing with their basic comprehension skills, and it's not like you need hours of research on its deeper themes and meanings.

How many times did Scott and Lindelof say 'this has Alien DNA but it ISN'T an Alien movie'? Just because H.R.Giger wasn't brought on board to design alien penis monsters and vaginas does not mean it was a bad movie in terms of the set and creature artistry. The sets pieces were absolutely fucking epic, no doubt about it. Yeah there was loads of shit left out but that's the nature of the beast, it's weird though that Prometheus will be known for its concept art rather than exposing a wider audience to Ancient Alien theories and an interesting if not a bit goofy way of life being spread throughout the universe.

My biggest complaint was that all the scientists were portrayed as absolute retards and I'm surprised Vickers didn't flamethrower the lot of them.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Finally the rest of the deleted scenes started leaking onto the internet, although some of them remain unseen until the BD hits. Here's two teasers from the "Engineer speaks" scene. I love his disgusted look when he basically flips Waylond off...

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/18...-deleted-scene

It's not even funny how this movie was butchered in the editing room. The scene above alone is already 4 minutes long. All of the deleted scenes I've seen so far really add to the movie and should have stayed in it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tommygunn View Post
    I think it would have probably been a better film with all Alien DNA removed, they kept saying it was it's own movie, but kept ham-stringing the script with throwbacks to Alien
    That's an interesting thought: would this movie have been better with the Alien DNA removed? I don't know, but it makes me think we might all be bitching a lot more if Jon Spaights' original script was left untouched. Then again, maybe it would have been more gratifying to have a film that was 100% less shy about being a prequel.

So in regards to the deleted scenes: in the original theatrical cut, we heard David speak the ancient language to the Engineer, but we didn't hear the Engineer speak back and we didn't hear David translate, correct? I saw the movie twice in theaters but clearly that wasn't enough.

I'm very much looking forward to owning this movie. I can't find a list of Special Features yet, so if anyone stumbles upon those details, please share! I quite like the cover art, though, especially for the Blu-ray 3D release. I'm hoping we get the theatrical and "director's cut" versions on the blu-ray, which would be appropriate given the wealth of different cuts on the Alien Anthology. Oh, and feature-length commentary, please.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    various sources claim that these are the definite special features for the BluRay release:
    • AUDIO COMMENTARY BY JON SPAIHTS AND DAMON LINDELOF [118m 38s]
    • DIRECTOR’S AUDIO COMMENTARY [118m 38s]
    • PROMETHEUS UNBOUND: POST-PRODUCTION AND RELEASE (directed by Charles de Lauzirika) [29m 26s]
    • PETER WEYLAND FILES [Total 17m 58s]
      2:23 (VIRAL VIDEO: QUIET EYE: ELIZABETH SHAW)
      6:44 (VIRAL VIDEO: PROMETHEUS TRANSMISSION)
      2:15 (VIRAL VIDEO: HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID)
      6:34 (VIRAL VIDEO: TED CONFERENCE 2023)
    • PROMETHEUS – SCREEN TESTS (X2) [Total 20m 28s]
      09:29 (“NAOMI RAPACE SCREEN TEST”)
      10:58 (“(“HAIR/MAKEUP/COSTUME SCREEN TEST”)
    • PROMETHEUS – PRE-VISUALIZATIONS [Total 24m 26s]
      3:57 PROLOGUE
      1:03 DISCOVERING THE PLANET
      4:11 MED-POD SEQUENCE: PG-13 VERSION
      4:08 MED-POD SEQUENCE: R VERSION
      6:26 AWAKING THE ENGINEER
      4:40 PROMETHEUS VS. JUGGERNAUT
    • ENHANCEMENT PODS [Total: 63m 16s]:
      2:29 THE TITLE CONUNDRUM
      3:12 PROMETHEUS: THE BOARD GAME
      1:46 SEXBURSTER
      4:30 KNICK KNACKS OF TOMORROW
      5:57 FUN WITH MOLECULAR GASTRONOMY
      2:13 BUILDING BETTER LOGOS
      1:51 MAKER’S MARK
      2:02 THE AMPULE SHOPPE
      3:45 LANGUAGE OF THE GODS
      5:31 FIRST EXPOSURE: ALIEN
      1:04 BODY MECHANICS: TRILOBITE
      1:20 XENOMORPHOLOGY: THE DEACON
      1:55 CONSTRICTIVE CONSTRUCTION
      3:53 CHAIR FETISH
      1:47 ONE DAY IN AFRICA
      3:24 LOCATION: ICELAND
      1:29 THE ART OF TERRAFORMING
      3:07 BATTLE OF THE PLANETS: LV-223 VS. LV-426
      6:00 ALL THINGS HOLOGRAPHIC
      2:31 WEYLAND’S WET DREAM
      2:24 THE CASE OF THE FANFIC FAKE
      0:58 MERGING RIDLEYVERSES
    • 5 FEATURETTES: REVERSE ENGINEERING – USCSS PROMETHEUS [15m 36s]
    • VARIOUS OTHER FEATURETTES
      NOOMI RAPACE ON SHAW [1m 31s ]
      SHAW [1m 16s]
      LOGAN HOLLOWAY [1m 10s]
      CREATION [3m 11s]
      CHARLIZE ON VICKERS [1m 16s]
      CREATION [3m 11s]
    but the approx. 20 minutes of deleted scenes are not listed.
    Last edited by dlb; 09-19-2012 at 05:02 AM.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    So in regards to the deleted scenes: in the original theatrical cut, we heard David speak the ancient language to the Engineer, but we didn't hear the Engineer speak back and we didn't hear David translate, correct? I saw the movie twice in theaters but clearly that wasn't enough.
    Davids talks to the Engineer, but does not get a response, instead the Engineer touches his head and rips it off right away without any further interaction.