Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The 10 songs that changed your life

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The 10 songs that changed your life

So heres something that might be a little fun, i did this over discord so i thought it would be fun.
    Share 10 songs that have changed your life, inspired you as has a really special place in your heart.
    only one rule, one song per artist.

Alice in Chains - Nutshell
    NIN - Leaving Hope
    Deftones - Battle-Axe
    Soundgarden - Boot Camp
    Linkin Park - Breaking the Habit
    Stone Temple Pilots - Sin
    MCR - The Ghost of You
    Radiohead - Pyramid Song
    Taking Back Sunday - A Decade Under the Influence
    Diablo - Tristram (yes the video game one)
    Last edited by Dryalex12; 08-20-2020 at 04:49 AM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    On any given day, this list could be different. But for today...

David Bowie, "Rebel Rebel"
    Pearl Jam, "Black"
    U2, "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"
    Muddy Waters, "My Home Is In The Delta"
    Nine Inch Nails, "Something I Can Never Have"
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, "Mary Jane's Last Dance"
    Cracker, "Euro-Trash Girl"
    Patsy Cline, "I Fall To Pieces"
    Prince, "Cream"
    Joy Division, "Love Will Tear Us Apart"

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Changed your life? In what extent? In strictly a music sense or life outlook?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Van Halen- Panama
    Guns N' Roses- WTTJ
    Nine Inch Nails- Hurt
    Doors- Light My Fire
    Beatles- She Said, She Said
    Monkees- Last Train to Clarkesville
    Frank Sinatra- One More for my Baby, and One More for the Road
    Tori Amos- Yes, Anastasia
    Led Zeppelin- Good Times, Bad Times
    David Bowie- Heroes

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Daft Punk - One More Time
    Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
    Converge - Concubine
    Sun Kil Moon - I Can't Live Without My Mother's Life
    Pedro the Lion - Options
    The Flaming Lips - Fight Test
    Red House Painters - Have You Forgotten?
    Animal Collective - Derek
    Madvillian - Accordion
    Tom Petty - Don't Come Around Here No More
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 08-19-2020 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky
    Iggy & The Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog
    Alice Cooper - Ballad of Dwight Frye
    The Who - Love, Reign o'er Me
    The Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen
    The Police - Roxanne
    The Smiths - How Soon is Now
    Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
    Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Nine Inch Nails - Wish

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I'd love to hear this story.
    Changed the way I thought about and listened to hip hop/rap. From DOOM's delivery to how abstract, bizarre and how almost sad the sample was to hear at however old I was about a year or so after Madvilliany dropped.

It kinda turned everything upside down for me in the best way possible.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Aphex Twin-Rhubarb
    Beastie Boys-Sabotage
    Daft Punk-One More Time
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor-East Hastings
    John Carpenter-Halloween Theme
    Joy Division-Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Laurie Spiegel-Passage
    Low-Violence
    My Bloody Valentine-You Made Me Realise
    Nine Inch Nails-The Hand That Feeds

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I will just include songs that made the biggest impact on me and stuck around with me

Swans - Goddamn The Sun
    Have A Nice Life - I Don't Love
    Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been
    Nine Inch Nails - Right Where It Belongs
    Death Grips - On GP
    Weezer - Pig
    Weezer/Rivers Cuomo - Longtime Sunshine
    Deftones - Knife Party
    Radiohead - Let Down
    Radiohead - Glass Eyes

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Did you mean one song per artist?

Very fun game! For twenty-two years now, I've kept a playlist (first on tapes, then burned CDs, then iTunes) of the soundtrack of my life, separated into "Regenerations" (a la Doctor Who) when it seems like a dramatic shift in self has occurred (fun fact: after thirteen years of age, this pretty reliably tends to occur every four years for me).

I'd also like to hear some explanations for some of these. For instance, I'd be interested in your "Leaving Hope" and "Battle-Axe" stories.
    Yes i did mean one song x.x

Still had a very big impact on me when i first listened to it. I was still a pretty new NIN fan at the time around 2012 because i actually use to have an weird hate for NIN for the longest time. My depression got worse and my mind was changed when i heard Hurt. I didn't know what to expect when i first put on Still. I was just an early teen who was into minecraft who was into nu metal so i wasn't prepared for this kind of raw emotions to come out. By the time i got to And All That Could Have Been, i was balling my eyes out, but it's when i got to Leaving Hope is where i truly became a mess. The song had no words but i felt so much emotions an passion coming out of this song and it just broke me. I couldn't stop crying. It felt like i lost someone really close to me. It really lived up to it's name of "Leaving Hope". The Same thing happened to me when i Listed to Pyramid Song. When i first heard it I was like "wow, that's pretty sad, let me play it back and look at the lyrics.". Next thing I know, im a crying mess. Pyramid Song is probably gonna be the soundtrack of my life when i reach old age. Really Powerful stuff.

As for Battle-Axe, i didn't realize how great the song, the melody and chord progression the song had until I did a cover of it. It was a stripped down piano and stringed version of it. I put a lot of fuller chords in the song instead of just the power chords and regular major and minor chords the song had. The song is in Bb minor, which i consider one of the saddest keys and when i was putting all these chords in the song, it made me rethink how i viewed the song. I was like, "wow this song how a really great melody". Ive never been in a relationship since im aromantic asexual but i could still feel a sense of sadness and longing from the lyrics. It's a really beautiful song.

Nutshell and Breaking the Habit are pretty simple. They are the songs I relate too the most with. I think it's their best body of work.

Now, the curious thing about Tristram is that the Diablo soundtrack has a very big influence on my sound as musician, along with the Turok Video Game Soundtrack. I remember one time in late Dec in 2017 i had made a song that unintentionally sounded like something that would of played in a Diablo 1 or 2 dungeon. At The time, i had been playing the first game for like 3 days straight and it sorta bled into the song i was making. I rarely listen to video game music as i often turn it off as most of it isnt too my liking. Diablo, Turok, Quake are the few exceptions. Tristram just has a really good sound, got a lot of fancy chords that i also love to use in my songs that ive learned from the song. It's pretty iconic

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Literally never had any idea what the name of this song was, nor that it was by someone named Norman Greenbaum. Seems like a thing that, if only for reasons of cultural saturation, should have been in my brain somewhere.
    This song came on the other day in the car on one of the Sirius/XM Classic Vinyl channels, and it INSTANTLY transported me to the school bus each day in 2nd grade. The bus driver had a little transistor radio and she’d play it loudly and us kids would all sing along to the hits. Mostly average top 40 hits but then THIS song became a hit and it rolled through the bus like some kinda fucking hypnotic wave, with kids closing their eyes and grooving and clapping like we were all in some religious revival meeting on drugs, without even KNOWING what the fuck the LYRICS were about!

So I was listening to the lyrics in the car with my husband and they’re all about “I got a friend in Jesus” and “gonna lift me up to the spirit in the sky” and my husband says “by Norman Greenbaum?” and I said yeah and he never had any other hit, that I know of, and I’m pretty sure he’s Jewish. So I Googled him in the car and yup, he’s an observant Jew who wrote a huge hit about Jesus and all of us kid were singing along and rocking to this song, having NO idea wtf it was about.

I only cared that it didn’t sound ANYTHING like anything I’d ever heard, before. And I STILL love this song, and when I hear it I PLAY IT LOUD.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-20-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Awesome idea for a thread. In no particular order:

Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer: The first song I remember liking.
    Korn - Good God: First Korn song I heard and, at the time, probably the heaviest.
    From Autumn to Ashes - Short Stories With Tragic Endings: My introduction into metalcore which would be my preferred genre for quite some time.
    Marilyn Manson - Great Big White World: This was the first time an artist I liked drastically shifted their direction and was better for it.
    Converge - No Heroes: Converge has become one of my favorite bands over the years and this was my intro.
    Scarlet - Apocalyptic Love Song: This band was the perfect blend of metalcore and electronics.
    Norma Jean - The Human Face Divine: I can still distinctly remember where I was when I heard this song. The overall vibe is nuts.
    Guns N Roses - Coma: I had never heard a song so long before. GnR was my favorite band and it totally changed the way I looked at songwriting.
    Orgy - Platinum: Loved the aesthetic and the music. I was the fat kid that dressed like I was in the band. Glad no pictures exist of this period.
    Chimaira - Cleansation: I was into heavier music already, but this really tilted the scales for me.