Thread: Carnivale

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @NYRexall @elevenism @eversonpoe @Self.Destructive.Pattern

Another amazing period piece drama series is Cinemax's The Knick starring Clive Owen and directed by Steven Soderbergh. So so so good! Takes place in early 1900s NYC at the Knickerbocker hospital with Owen playing a liquid cocaine addicted surgeon trying to push the boundaries of surgery. U2's Bono's daughter is also in it and quite amazing. Honestly, like Carnivale, everyone is fucking stellar. It went for two seasons. They were thinking about continuing it, but it seems Cinemax decided against it and would rather stick with action shows. I mean it does come to a conclusion with the season 2 finale, but they were looking for a new way to approach future seasons and possibly new characters. As much as I'd love to see more of The Knick, the two seasons are perfect and don't leave you hanging like Carnivale. Very well done and beautifully shot. I highly suggest folks to check it out. It really looked like Cinemax was finally stepping into HBO, Netflix, etc. greatness with this series, but it seems they want to stick with cheaper, mindless action shows according to their statement. When The Knick first premiered, they were also playing it on HBO to get people to come over to Cinemax (since both channels are owned by the same company) but they really should have just released it on HBO. I imagine it would have received an even bigger audience there than on Cinemax. It truly deserves more praise and respect.
    Last edited by neorev; 03-29-2017 at 01:32 AM.