Thread: Coil

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    It’s perfectly possible to get 24 bit MP3s so it’s confusing to name them as such when they aren’t. Except they actually are. Just low bit rate ones. Oh, and it’s fairly unusual I think to get 44.1kHz sample rate paired with 24 bit. Both the WAVs and the MP3s are that too. The bleep FLACs are 16/44.1.

In this drew interview https://www.thewire.co.uk/in-writing...nd-materiality

They mention that both volumes of MTPITD have been redone

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Sorry to be a stickler here, but that just isn't true. The MP3 format does not have bit depth because of the way it stores data; decoders either have a fixed depth or a user-chosen one that is used during re-quantization (more here). So there is no such thing as a 24bit MP3, or 16bit, or any other value, just whatever the decoder uses for re-quantization on playback. 24/44.1 is also a super common delivery format on sites like HDtracks, so I'm not sure why that would be considered unusual.

I think I had read somewhere previously that MTPITD2 was slated from the beginning like 1, but would be released later. It was probably on the Coil FB group.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Sorry to be a stickler here, but that just isn't true. The MP3 format does not have bit depth because of the way it stores data; decoders either have a fixed depth or a user-chosen one that is used during re-quantization (more here). So there is no such thing as a 24bit MP3, or 16bit, or any other value, just whatever the decoder uses for re-quantization on playback. 24/44.1 is also a super common delivery format on sites like HDtracks, so I'm not sure why that would be considered unusual.
    No need to apologise. I appreciate being educated. I'm really surprised, but TIL! As or 24/44.1: I can only speak from what I've seen or experienced. I don't buy much HD music so I haven't seen it on sites like HDTracks. It must be much more common than my limited sample suggests, which (looking at it now) is heavily weighted by TR&AR/NIN releases: lots of 24/48, some 24/96, but no 24/44.1.