Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

You're killing your father, Larry.
    My favorite censored-for-TV line is "My name is Buck and I like to [party]" from Kill Bill Vol. 1.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Batman movies have never done anything for me. , Chris Nolan (good director) trying to intellectualize it made it even worse.
    Yes all movies have their moments... yet ive never been able to warm to the whole franchise.
    Always thought it was a very camp comic book. More suited to that style. Same with Spiderman. Something blocks me from taking it too seriously.
    Maybe its just me.....i loved X Men on big screen though.
    I thought the first X Men from 2000 by Bryan Synger was the best.
    The source material for X Men is darker (holocaust survivors etc) . It for some reason to me works better in a dramatic way on the big screen.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Nothing can beat this one. They redubbed a line from the movie that was somewhat offensive (plus it had cursing in it), and they actually made it more offensive...
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 12-14-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly9lKAaL8zQ
    Nothing can beat this one. They redubbed a line from the movie that was somewhat offensive (plus it had cursing in it), and they actually made it more offensive...
    I'll do you one better

Probably the only time I'll ever suggest Renny Harlin was better than Scorsese.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I wish James Cameron would stop wasting his time with the Avatar films.
    He has made ONE film since 1997.

He made some great films, he had a lot of talent, i loved the women in his films, he added depth to his charachters.

What is he doing? He could have made about Ten films since Titanic.

Wasting his time on this dull Avatar bullshit...

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Since '97, Cameron's made a bunch of science center IMAX movies, developed his PACE 3D camera system, finally filmed Avatar, developed the next 3 sequels, developed a custom submarine, gone to the ocean floor and back, joined a tribe and protested a government, etc.

Criticizing JAMES CAMERON of all people for "wasting time" is ridiculous, lol.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    developed the next 3 sequels
    OK, I get making one Avatar film. But is he creating any new revolutionary techniques along with those 3? If no, then yes he is wasting time now.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Ghostbusters: a fine example of how stupid the eighties were.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by substance242 View Post
    ghostbusters: A fine example of how stupid the eighties were.
    Blasphemy.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I guess this is controversial? Other than John Goodman's knockout performance, 10 Cloverfield Lane was pure garbage.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Ghostbusters: a fine example of how stupid the eighties were.
    It's a family movie, what did you want? Manhunter?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Dennis Quaid was a much better Doc Holliday than Val Kilmer.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Dennis Quaid was a much better Doc Holliday than Val Kilmer.
    Blasphemy.

You. Me. Tombstone. Right now.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm not putting down Tombstone at all, it's a really good movie. Quaid dared to play him as unlikable, which probably factors as a plus in Kilmer's favor. I've not seen either it or Wyatt Earp in awhile so I'm probably due a re-watch soon.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'm a huge comics fan but tend to hate all film and TV adaptations. I just don't think it shines as well outside of its own medium.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I think The Neverending Story is the best thing in the fantasy genre ever put out on film or television. And I say that as a big fan of Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    I think The Neverending Story is the best thing in the fantasy genre ever put out on film or television. And I say that as a big fan of Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.
    I'd take TNS over Lord of the Rings. I enjoyed the trilogy, but was never that into it.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    no one will ever know how to pick final scene music like john hughes did.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rogue one is the second best Star Wars movie, only behind ESB.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    martin scorsese is overrated, for the most part. while Taxi Driver is an incredible film, and he definitely knows how to craft a quality movie, i don't ENJOY most of his films. i don't understand why people have such a collective boner for The Departed. i found it bleak, upsetting, and not entertaining.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    martin scorsese is overrated, for the most part. while Taxi Driver is an incredible film, and he definitely knows how to craft a quality movie, i don't ENJOY most of his films. i don't understand why people have such a collective boner for The Departed. i found it bleak, upsetting, and not entertaining.
    You thought Taxi Driver was incredible, but The Departed was too bleak for you? I find that really odd considering that Taxi Driver is a lot more bleak than The Departed.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Singles is one my favorite movies and is somewhat overlooked. Not a great film, but it is funny, has such charm, is the zeitgeist of the early 90's that really resonates with me, and has a killer soundtrack.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Twilight is one boring overhyped film, could only watch half of it

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    Twilight is one boring overhyped film, could only watch half of it
    That's not really controversial unless you're one of those teens that loved those films. I thought they were shit though the first film was kind of watchable but it got worse w/ every other film that followed.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    No idea if this is really controversial, but whenever I read that Dave Bautista is also in a movie I get immediately put off. I don't know why since he seems like a nice person to be around with but why is he cast in probably every movie in need of a brute? I hated his performance in Spectre and I think he's the worst thing about Guardians. Of course he can't rewrite his roles, but his casting is always annoying IMHO. Since Jason Mamoa is in about everything already and so is the Rock, let's get Bautista... jesus.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    No idea if this is really controversial, but whenever I read that Dave Bautista is also in a movie I get immediately put off. I don't know why since he seems like a nice person to be around with but why is he cast in probably every movie in need of a brute? I hated his performance in Spectre and I think he's the worst thing about Guardians. Of course he can't rewrite his roles, but his casting is always annoying IMHO. Since Jason Mamoa is in about everything already and so is the Rock, let's get Bautista... jesus.
    wait, you didn't like him in Guardians? i thought he was perfect and hilarious. i haven't seen him in anything else but i can't imagine anyone else pulling that role off with the same balance of comedy and brutishness, where you'd still love the character.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I understand being put off by an actor; God knows I have my own *cannot stand* list.

From what we've seen about GotG 2 it looks like Bautista's Drax is going to steal the show. And that is something when you share a screen with Baby Groot. I haven't seen him outside of Guardians so I have nothing to compare his acting with but I do like him a lot in the MCU.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The movie Heat with Robert De Niro and Al Pacino, a lot of people hated this movie and said it was unrealistic, but I fucking loved this film. Its dark and brooding there is an almost heaviness to the movie that I credit Michael Mann the director with, I like most of Michael Mann's films but add De Niro and Pacino and to me it is one of the classics. The way the movie was shot around Los Angeles in the mid 90's and its dark rich cinematography with almost a blue filter on the lens at times just adds to the vacantness of both De Niro's and Pacino's characters. Obviously there is a lot of violence in the movie, but I like that as well.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Not really controversial but here it goes.

I LOVE the first Pirates movie. It's a fucking fantastic piece of cinema, easily in my top 10. It has everything: a compelling story, a great setting, awesome characters, unexpected twists, great action sequences and most importantly — heart. Something that's deeply missing in modern blockbusters.

I recently saw the fifth one and it was a huge disappointment. Granted, I expected it to be crappy but it still kinda hurts. I think it's a great franchise and although the first two sequels weren't perfect they still captured a lot of the things that made the first one so great. This one is the same half-assed, poorly written, uninspired and heartless sequel as the fourth installment. What makes me especially mad is that Jack Sparrow literally evolved into a caricature of himself; in the first one his character is so fascinating because he's sharp-witted, unpredictable and brilliant in his own way — now he's just a stupid drunk who's falling asleep mid-sentence.

It's also fucking sad because I hear a lot of positive feedback for this film. "It's going in the right direction again" ... No. Just no. It's nothing like the first movies. Is this really what people want? Soulless sequels that completely miss what was great about the franchise? Why do mainstream blockbusters need to be this fucking shitty in order to make money? I just don't get it.

Late edit: I get it now. I somehow forgot that people have shit taste.
    Last edited by niggo; 06-03-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Not really controversial but here it goes.

I LOVE the first Pirates movie. It's a fucking fantastic piece of cinema, easily in my top 10. It has everything: a compelling story, a great setting, awesome characters, unexpected twists, great action sequences and most importantly — heart. Something that's deeply missing in modern blockbusters.

I recently saw the fifth one and it was a huge disappointment. Granted, I expected it to be crappy but it still kinda hurts. I think it's a great franchise and although the first two sequels weren't perfect they still captured a lot of the things that made the first one so great. This one is the same half-assed, poorly written, uninspired and heartless sequel as the fourth installment. What makes me especially mad is that Jack Sparrow literally evolved into a caricature of himself; in the first one his character is so fascinating because he's sharp-witted, unpredictable and brilliant in his own way — now he's just a stupid drunk who's falling asleep mid-sentence.

It's also fucking sad because I hear a lot of positive feedback for this film. "It's going in the right direction again" ... No. Just no. It's nothing like the first movies. Is this really what people want? Soulless sequels that completely miss what was great about the franchise? Why do mainstream blockbusters need to be this fucking shitty in order to make money? I just don't get it.

Late edit: I get it now. I somehow forgot that people have shit taste.
    I dug On Stranger Tides. Not sure how I feel about this new one though.