Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stabbing Westward

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Stabbing Westward

saw stabbing westward last night at cold waves in chicago.

amazing.

here

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...cibctJ7yQDwj4H

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post

amazing.

here

I was there. The show was everything I wanted it to be. Where were you standing?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    saw this band only once in the parking lot on some side stage of a radio station festival. I think it was WBCN's festival in up where the Patriots play. It was after the self-titled came out...so maybe 2002 or so. Anyway, I was so happy to finally catch them and they were surprisingly great despite obviously being on the downswing. Played all the songs I wanted to hear. Would def. check em out now if they still got it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    about 10 people back right side. those vids show pretty much

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I was there last night too. Amazing show! I wasn't really sure what to expect seeing as the last time I saw them was in 1998, but they were spot on!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    yea i saw them open for depeche in 98. they sounded amazing last night. and very positive. i hope they get back together officially.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Setlist:

Drugstore

Falls Apart
    So Far Away
    ACF
    Sometimes It Hurts
    Lies
    Why
    Slipping Away
    The Thing I Hate
    What Do I Have to Do?
    Nothing
    Save Yourself
    Encore:
    Plastic Jesus
    Waking Up Beside You
    Violent Mood Swings
    Shame

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

amazing.

here

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbookpress1984 View Post
    I was there. The show was everything I wanted it to be. Where were you standing?
    my old band, Ganser, opened for them. kind of broke my heart a little.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    i didn't catch ganser. caught the last half of En Esch. we scalped tickets for 50 bucks as we got there.

i'll have to check Ganser out. @eversonpoe

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    That's a sick set list, would def check them out if I had a chance, I used to listen to these guys along with stuff like God Lives Underwater, back in the day.

The only time I saw them live was in summer of 2001 at a festival down in Nebraska, it was the middle of the day and hot as hell so I don't remember too much about it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i didn't catch ganser. caught the last half of En Esch. we scalped tickets for 50 bucks as we got there.

i'll have to check Ganser out. @eversonpoe
    eh, if i'm being 100% honest, when i left the band (which was both to preserve my friendships with nadia and alicia – which didn't work – and because i wasn't having fun MAKING music with them, only playing it live) they replaced me with two people (because i played drums and guitar; we used my live drums in backing tracks when we played shows) and they just don't have the same energy. their last two singles have been SO GOD DAMN BORING and i really don't understand how/why they're getting so much attention. their newest single, which came out this week, is also mixed TERRIBLY and i can't believe they released it sounding like that. :: shrug ::

in all seriousness, i'm not bitter (but i am sad that my friendships with them dissolved). i'm just being honest. i'd much rather they were doing well because their music was exciting. i find it kind of baffling.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Wither Blister Burn + Peel is my fave...

Followed by Ungod.

I like Darkest Days, but I love the production with Ungod and Wither more. I think credit goes to producer John Fryer for that.

But that last self titled album was terrible, except for the song "Television"

Anyone here listen to Hall's The Dreaming's last album? It is very Stabbing Westward-y.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    The video for "Shame" is awesome. I just love how the band members decide to bail during the performance just so they can watch the movie.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i love the quick snare drum build-ups in Shame right as the chorus comes back in. I love how they quickly fade in. Such a great song & band. NIN lite done right.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    eh, if i'm being 100% honest, when i left the band (which was both to preserve my friendships with nadia and alicia – which didn't work – and because i wasn't having fun MAKING music with them, only playing it live) they replaced me with two people (because i played drums and guitar; we used my live drums in backing tracks when we played shows) and they just don't have the same energy. their last two singles have been SO GOD DAMN BORING and i really don't understand how/why they're getting so much attention. their newest single, which came out this week, is also mixed TERRIBLY and i can't believe they released it sounding like that. :: shrug ::

in all seriousness, i'm not bitter (but i am sad that my friendships with them dissolved). i'm just being honest. i'd much rather they were doing well because their music was exciting. i find it kind of baffling.
    Amanda and I were trying to place your connection with them as we were driving down. ( I knew you were either in the band, or help record / produce a bunch of material). But yeah, I have to admit they did not have much energy / presence.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    One of my favorite tracks is "Inside You" off WBB+P. That synth sound, just f'n love it. The whole build up before the band erupts.

I've been trying to hunt down their singles with alternate mixes/remixes.

I also loved Gravity Kills' debut self titled album, another album produced by John Fryer. Been trying to find more albums he worked on.
    Last edited by neorev; 09-26-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So excited! I was lucky enough to get 1 of only 500 Cold Waves V compilation CDs featuring a brand new track from Stabbing Westward!!!
    MP3 download is also available...

Hurry up before they are all gone, folks... http://coldwaves.net/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'll be a son of a bitch. I had no idea these guys were back together.

Sweet!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Actually the track is not entirely new, it's "Plastic Jesus" from their early Iwo Jima demos. Looks like they went back and remixed, re-recorded, and remastered it for the compilation. Includes newer vocals and instrumentation.

http://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=alret7HPTlw

The Thing I Hate was also originally called P.O.M.F. from the same demo collection, later redone for Darkest Days.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Anyone seeing any of the Darkest Days 20th anniversary shows? Chicago is sooo tempting, but it seems like they only did the full album on the first night and have been gradually cutting songs off. Darkest Days was probably my favorite album from them, so it would be cool to see a show centered about it, but I just don't think anything can top the Double Door show a couple years back.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Never liked "Darkest Days" but i would love to watch them live, i wasn't aware they were still together, i thought they disbanded a long time ago...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Never liked "Darkest Days" but i would love to watch them live, i wasn't aware they were still together, i thought they disbanded a long time ago...
    Ungod and Wither Blister Burn +Peel are my faves, Darkest Days was 50/50 for me.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Ungod and Wither Blister Burn +Peel are my faves, Darkest Days was 50/50 for me.
    Yeah, for me too, the first two albums are the best; "Darkest Days" does have good songs like "Haunting Me" and "Everything i touch" also the album cover is awesome, but most of the album is a bit "meh" for me...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Yeah, for me too, the first two albums are the best; "Darkest Days" does have good songs like "Haunting Me" and "Everything i touch" also the album cover is awesome, but most of the album is a bit "meh" for me...
    “Waking Up Beside You” is a great track, IMO.

I saw them back in January, and they put on a really good show.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caca View Post

Oh yeah, i like that one too...

I hope they come to my town someday, i will be going for sure

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caca View Post

Yes, especially that. Drugstore and Drowning/Desperate Now are also so amazing that I guess they make up for the weaker tracks on the album for me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I saw them in Providence August of last year. I got a picture with Chris and Walter, and they signed my SW t-shirt. I didn't realize they were playing more shows this fall, but nothing east of NY anyway.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

IWO JESUS, the 1989 4 song cassette EP that launched SW has been resurrected. The original EP was recorded in 1989 on an 8 track tape machine synched to an Emax II Sampler and an EMU SP1200 sampling drum machine. 100 copies were originally printed and sold both at local shows and in the legendary Wax Trax Record store in Chicago. The first time we walked into the store and Frankie from Thrill Kill Kult was playing our tape in the store I thought my heart was going to explode. Walter found the tape during a recent move and tried to remaster it but the tape was badly worn and was more noise than music. (which back then I would’ve considered a compliment). We made the decision earlier this year to attempt to recreate the original as faithfully as possible using what gear we had in our closets and utilizing more modern gear to fill in the gaps. It was difficult for me to not “improve” the songs. (It’s my perfectionist producer mentality). But we chose to let them remain trapped in 1989 and embrace the angsty industrial rage of the late 80’s. We pressed IWO JESUS as a limited edition of 300 Purple vinyl and reconstructed the original cassette artwork into a gorgeous 12 inch piece of history. Hope you enjoy owning it as much as Walter and I enjoyed making it. Chris.

Buy here:
    https://www.stabbingwestward.com/buy...jesus-ep-vinyl

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    That logo reminds me alot of the font Skinny Puppy used to use

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    recreating this now is weird, no?