Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2035

Thread: Qotsa

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    If Töôrnst Hülpft is indeed Reznor than this is the biggest prank since Strobelight. Doesn't sound anything like Trent at all, more like Ween or Bigdumbface. Will be listening to the record in full later and give my thoughts.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    If Töôrnst Hülpft is indeed Reznor than this is the biggest prank since Strobelight. Doesn't sound anything like Trent at all, more like Ween or Bigdumbface. Will be listening to the record in full later and give my thoughts.
    I'm interested to know how this sounds before taking the plunge and ordering, was hoping to see some reviews etc. You have a early copy?!

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Yeah got mail today, but only had time to listen to this one yet as it was the one that intrigued me the most with the TR rumors. I'm a bit dissapointed it's only 8 tracks though. 9&10 had like 13, 14?

Update:

Incredibly underwhelming effort. Like I feared this has no real highlight and I'm indeed missing the old personel like Lanegan, Olivieri, Alain Johannes. Just remerkable voices. This isn't bad by any means, but feels like a b-side compliation.

The last two songs are great, actually both Homme songs remind me alot of "...like clockwork" and Jake Shears does very well indeed. Libby Grace has a nice voice, but I think I heard that song a hundred times already.

Strangely enough the Töôrnst Hülpft & Matt Berry song is a higlight as well for its outlandish-ness. Yet Ween, Beck etc. can do better. Does Claypool play on this one? If not, I absolutely have no idea where his constribution is. A shame, as I was looking forward to a spaced-out Homme/Claypool thing.

It's insultingly short and a little slap in the face after the roaring 9 & 10 with PJ Harvey.
    Last edited by dlb; 10-17-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Yeah got mail today, but only had time to listen to this one yet as it was the one that intrigued me the most with the TR rumors. I'm a bit dissapointed it's only 8 tracks though. 9&10 had like 13, 14?

Update:

Incredibly underwhelming effort. Like I feared this has no real highlight and I'm indeed missing the old personel like Lanegan, Olivieri, Alain Johannes. Just remerkable voices. This isn't bad by any means, but feels like a b-side compliation.

The last two songs are great, actually both Homme songs remind me alot of "...like clockwork" and Jake Shears does very well indeed. Libby Grace has a nice voice, but I think I heard that song a hundred times already.

Strangely enough the Töôrnst Hülpft & Matt Berry song is a higlight as well for its outlandish-ness. Yet Ween, Beck etc. can do better. Does Claypool play on this one? If not, I absolutely have no idea where his constribution is. A shame, as I was looking forward to a spaced-out Homme/Claypool thing.

It's insultingly short and a little slap in the face after the roaring 9 & 10 with PJ Harvey.
    Damn. Not the review I was hoping to see. Especially disappointed by the lack of Claypool.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    It feels rushed, but the songs are not bad by far. There is just nothing that kicks or grabs me from the start. Billy Gibbons track is nice, both Homme tracks are nice, the Libby Grace ballad is cool, but it's just that: nice. A little bit lame with just the Royal Bloo track really kicking.

Would love to hear a little QOTSA EP in vein of these two tracks. Give me three more of those and make it a nice little release to hold us over until the next record. That being said, I hated "villains", but Homme sure can write a good song still.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The original conceit of Desert Sessions was these guys would go into the literal desert and jam and do peyote and jam some more and then record something. The first few efforts sound like the people got the song together maybe five minutes before recording it and it's raw and interesting. everything about this latest version seems over-produced and promoted like a Katy Perry release. There's no soul evident in it. So I'm not surprised at that review, and it's pretty much on par with what I expected, maybe even a little better than I expected.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    It feels rushed, but the songs are not bad by far. There is just nothing that kicks or grabs me from the start. Billy Gibbons track is nice, both Homme tracks are nice, the Libby Grace ballad is cool, but it's just that: nice. A little bit lame with just the Royal Bloo track really kicking.

Would love to hear a little QOTSA EP in vein of these two tracks. Give me three more of those and make it a nice little release to hold us over until the next record. That being said, I hated "villains", but Homme sure can write a good song still.
    What's the total runtime?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hey, anyone have a FLAC or other lossless format copy of 'The Fun Machine Took a Shit and Died'? I can't find my CD with it and it is driving me insane. PM's are more than fine if you can help a brother out. Thanks guys!

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    What's the total runtime?
    about 31 minutes.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ That's about on par with previous volumes, timing-wise.

Matador Records has shipped my vinyl (hopefully with the added sticker sheet included, as well)! Excited to spark up and take a listen.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Well, 9&10 was 44 minutes, even longer counting the bonus tracks. While the others were around 35-40 the new one is still the shortest though with 1 to 2 songs missing that could have easily elevated my listening experience.

Gave this a couple of more spins yesterday, but I really only find Josh's songs to be good. The rest is just okay, so I'm happy a new Lanegan record is out as well these days with another new one set for early next year.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Nice write-up in the LA Times, Reznor gets a shout-out in it (though, to be clear, it really looks like he is not involved in any way this time).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Anybody got an Amazon link for the repress of Era Vulgaris? All I can find is the 3x10" pressing available on there... Thanks in advance!

I like having the 3x as a fun curio and has held me over, but can't wait to get this album on a single LP. I think so much disc flipping has prevented me from listening to this as much as I would like.

Also, I think it's a *HUGE* missed opportunity to not do this as a 2LP and include a side 4 that includes the song "Era Vulgaris" as well as a few of the stellar b-sides from this era.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    read a review of 11&12 that liked it, lamented the lack of women but liked the one song, and said that Dave Grohl is probably the mystery member. It was on my phone so I don't have a link, but I was encouraged by the song descriptions.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Anybody got an Amazon link for the repress of Era Vulgaris? All I can find is the 3x10" pressing available on there... Thanks in advance!

I like having the 3x as a fun curio and has held me over, but can't wait to get this album on a single LP. I think so much disc flipping has prevented me from listening to this as much as I would like.

Also, I think it's a *HUGE* missed opportunity to not do this as a 2LP and include a side 4 that includes the song "Era Vulgaris" as well as a few of the stellar b-sides from this era.
    doesn't the 3x10" have extra songs on it?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Why Amazon? You can preorder it directly from the band store: https://store.qotsa.com/collections/...ra-vulgaris-lp

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    doesn't the 3x10" have extra songs on it?
    Not according to Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Queens-Of-Th...elease/1152332
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 10-25-2019 at 02:49 AM.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    So Töôrnst Hülpft is Josh after all?

And I really have to be deaf by now, I just can't make out Claypool in these songs, but his bass playing is all over the liner notes. Whicb btw along with the packaging make me enjoy this release a little bit more apart from having had higher expectations. "something you can't see" and "easier said than done" made it into my top d/s tracks though.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

https://amzn.to/347mYe9

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Because Amazon doesn't charge me until it ships, which I prefer. And yes, despite being on 3 10" discs, no extra songs at all

Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    Why Amazon? You can preorder it directly from the band store: https://store.qotsa.com/collections/...ra-vulgaris-lp

Not according to Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Queens-Of-Th...elease/1152332

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think the new Desert Sessions is great. I wasn't crazy about the last Queens record, but this is fun and accessible which I think Villians tried for but fell flat slightly. It is short and I've already listened to it about 4 times this morning so it could suffer from burn out.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Because Amazon doesn't charge me until it ships, which I prefer. And yes, despite being on 3 10" discs, no extra songs at all
    Ah, okay. Yeah, that's convenient if you don't want to already get the payment out of the way.

[QUOTE=dlb;471228]So Töôrnst Hülpft is Josh after all?[/QUOTE]

After hearing the song, I'm convinced that's who it is. On Josh's Beats 1 radio show (The Alligator Hour), there's an episode where he has a guest fill in and they sound exactly like Töôrnst.

Edit: Here's the episode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cFK...__64TMlj8/view They are identified as European DJ Ms. Frantastic, who proceeds to play more "out there" songs for the remainder of the show. The voice, however, is identical.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 10-25-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Re: the vinyl reissues, I don't think Universal have the rights to put any bonus tracks that weren't on previous vinyl versions; hence the 12" Era Vulgaris reissue has "Running Joke" at the end of side one, the reissued R apparently has "Ode to Clarissa" but nothing else, and the bonus tracks on Lullabies are exactly the same as on the original orange & purple pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    read a review of 11&12 that liked it, lamented the lack of women but liked the one song, and said that Dave Grohl is probably the mystery member. It was on my phone so I don't have a link, but I was encouraged by the song descriptions.
    Yet there are women playing on every single song, and Dave Grohl was nowhere near this! I think it's a much better record than Villains was; full of more interesting textures and variety. Fun stuff, the vinyl packaging is amazingly cool, and it sounds terrific.
    Last edited by botley; 10-28-2019 at 10:04 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ... "Ode to Clarissa" ...
    is this a reference to the movie Zero Effect? it's one of my favorite films and there's a poem in it entitled "ode to clarissa" which i feel like is a specific enough reference that it has to be related...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    is this a reference to the movie Zero Effect? it's one of my favorite films and there's a poem in it entitled "ode to clarissa" which i feel like is a specific enough reference that it has to be related...
    Could be! That's the first time I think anyone's ever pointed it out to me... I'll have to watch the movie now.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Could be! That's the first time I think anyone's ever pointed it out to me... I'll have to watch the movie now.
    it's great! ben stiller and bill pullman are perfect together, ryan o'neil is awesome, and kim dickens is just...she's fucking great. the soundtrack is also wonderful.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I had nothing to like about this album. The promotion was too gaudy and the guests too 'famous' for something like this project. My first listen I did not like this album. Heck, I still don't like it. But I do like listening to it. The songs are pretty good, especially "If You Run" which borders on amazing. A lot of it sounds too much like a Queens album where he fired his band and hired some people off the street but there's still some cohesion anyway.

Chic Tweetz is stuck in my head God Damn It.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Vinyl Me, Please has a beautiful pressing of "Song For The Deaf" that I really recommend checking out. I'm a sucker for colored wax so they got me hooked for another 3 months.
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 10-31-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Gave the new DS a few more spins, but no, I can't stand it. Maybe it has something to do with the overmarketing as well, making it look like a new QOTSA album and the incredible lack of Claypool. Wonder if Sean Lennon would have fit on there as well...

The packaging is great on this and I really like the artwork, but the whole thing feels incredibly dull to me. Standouts are still "something you can't see" and "easier said than done" (makes me want to revisit "...like clockwork!") with "if you run" close. The rest? No thank you, that's just lazy. Can't believe how many people are eating this up as a stand-out record... without the Homme-stamp no one would give a listen.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Chic Tweetz is fucking hilarious. I kind of want Queens to go full Ween on the next record and get silly and weird

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's definitely not as good as the previous album (my personal favorite), but I have to say that I'm liking the variety on the new Desert Sessions album. It's good fun, nothing more, nothing less.