Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I really felt sad watching that

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I really felt sad watching that
    I know he's older but on stage it seems his 'fire' is but a dull spark.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    gosh, that was painful to see, maybe the "Twins of evil" tour wasn't a good idea, he's just being ridiculed night after night...

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    um wow. I think if Manson got sober and just got his head on straight, then maybe he could be back to what he was. Its kind of like the end of The Doors where Jim just stopped giving a fuck and got fat and wasted, only difference is that Morrison actually still kicked ass.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Ugh... that was unbelievably bad. Watching Manson go down like this is torturous in a lot of ways. What a waste.

Apparently Manson threatened to kick Rob Zombie's ass after (according to Zombie) ending his own set early, and then blaming it on Zombie.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I couldn't believe what I saw. Like, making me wonder if he's just trolling everyone. I doubt it though.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    He's painting himself a jawline now ? Is that fucking make up ? Holy hell, we're not on the high end of low anymore... I really, really wanted to believe he could snap out of it and get back on track. But that's just too sad to watch, I don't think I care anymore. Reznor may have lost the edge I loved, but at least he's a human being I can still look up to, and not a perpetual embarrassment.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Trent losing an edge? What do you mean, just like by raw fast aggressive music? I would rather someone approaching 50 to make music that ages with him as opposed to guys like 50 + still making music that sounds like that of someone 30 years younger.

That's just me though, I'm okay with Trent's music being less "Letting You" and more "Echoplex" if that makes any sense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Trent losing an edge? What do you mean, just like by raw fast aggressive music? I would rather someone approaching 50 to make music that ages with him as opposed to guys like 50 + still making music that sounds like that of someone 30 years younger.

That's just me though, I'm okay with Trent's music being less "Letting You" and more "Echoplex" if that makes any sense.
    Totally agree with this. One of the best things about following artists for years is watching as they grow and challenge their sound. Manson's basically been rooted in the same formulaic style since day one. He's made good records in his heyday, no doubt, but he just needs to grow up and get over it, after all, he's 43. This Rob Zombie stuff is really stupid too, just further goes to show Manson's perpetual immaturity.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Yeah, that wasn't like that, it's just that his music doesn't blow my mind like it used to. YZ was an interesting exploration, but it lacked soul and got stale fast. Anyway, that's off topic.
    I think what we have here is a Brian Warner desperately clinging to his Manson persona to make it all right again, to fix the fact that he's had nothing to say for more than ten year now, to hide the fact that he's getting indeed too old for this shit. Problem is, Manson has always been a dick, and dope and booze don't make you deep or edgy. What was interesting was Warner speaking via Manson, but there's not much of that left apparently...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    wow, that was terrible. i used to love this guy, now he is a joke. such a waste.

i feel like he is trying to provoke people by wearing that SS dress uniform cap. pretty lame imo, that shit isnt cool. hes made subtile allusions to nazism in the past, so this isnt the first time. golden age was full of em, the swastika-esque tattoo on his forearm, ect. even the lightning bolt symbol was used by communications personnal in the wehrmacht (anybody else notice that one?) dont get me wrong, i find the third reich facinating too. but as a historical study though. it just isnt right to make something so horrible into something entertaining/artistic.

that last line seems like something that brian would have railed against 10 years ag maybe it is some joke on the state of our society and its just not coming acros right? i doubt it, especialy after reading some of the court documents from back when stephen brier took brian to court for spening the bands money on shit for his wife at the time and nazi uniforms.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 10-30-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    The GAOG era was specifically referencing the '40ies cultural environment ; Rock and roll, dadaism and, of course, Nazism, drawing parallels between that society and ours. Had the album been a bit more focused thematically and musically, it could have been a great one, in my opinion.
    Nowadays ? Who knows why he does stuff ? His ego has constantly inflated for decades, then crumbled on itself and gone supermassive. You just don't make a star out of a black hole.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    The GAOG era was specifically referencing the '40ies cultural environment ; Rock and roll, dadaism and, of course, Nazism, drawing parallels between that society and ours. Had the album been a bit more focused thematically and musically, it could have been a great one, in my opinion.
    Nowadays ? Who knows why he does stuff ? His ego has constantly inflated for decades, then crumbled on itself and gone supermassive. You just don't make a star out of a black hole.
    I agree, conceptually "Golden Age of Grotesque" could have been one of Manson's best works: sadly the music (mostly mediocre loops by Tim Skold and the most uninspired John 5 guitars i've ever heard), the dumb and forced lyrics ("hold the S because I am aint") and the Faith No More ripoff ("mObscene") ruined this fuckin album beyond repair, making it one of the worst Manson's works ever!

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    I'm waiting for Hazekiah to show up and start defending him again

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    . even the lightning bolt symbol was used by communications personnal in the wehrmacht (anybody else notice that one?)
    I think it was supposed to evoke the British Union of Fascists' rallies

But could just as easily be a riff on the SS logo, floyd's crossed hammers, the bowie/ziggy flash logo. The BUF earls court rally (pictured above) does remind me of the setup mm uses during "antichrist superstar" though

Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    The GAOG era was specifically referencing the '40ies cultural environment ; Rock and roll, dadaism and, of course, Nazism, drawing parallels between that society and ours. Had the album been a bit more focused thematically and musically, it could have been a great one, in my opinion..
    GAOG was supposed to evoke the 20s/30s weimar republic culture (which was all banned and swept away by the 40s). Also rock n roll didn't really come about till the fifties. Sorry to be a pedant, but you sound like you'd like to know! 100% agreed on how that album more or less failed to evoke that era though (felt like more of an aesthetic that a musical/lyrical theme - it was just commercial industrial rock anthems).

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I'm waiting for Hazekiah to show up and start defending him again
    Still on the road chasing the Twins of Evil tour all over the country (maybe even to Guadalajara!) and can't see the video everyone's talking about with my cheap-o phone's limited internet functionality, but I'll be back home at a real computer soon enough with plenty of excellent footage to demonstrate how great the shows have been, fear not.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    LOLZ...a full grown man doing that.

Can't wait to see more YouTube footage of that washed up fatass slurring through another shit set with comments from 'DemonicRainXXX' and 'MMRoolz1989' saying how 'FUCKING AWESOME' it was. Hurry back!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post

Can't wait to see more YouTube footage of that washed up fatass slurring through another shit set with comments from 'DemonicRainXXX' and 'MMRoolz1989' saying how 'FUCKING AWESOME' it was. Hurry back!
    Quoted just because it cracked me up and I want others to read it again

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Still on the road chasing the Twins of Evil tour all over the country (maybe even to Guadalajara!) and can't see the video everyone's talking about with my cheap-o phone's limited internet functionality, but I'll be back home at a real computer soon enough with plenty of excellent footage to demonstrate how great the shows have been, fear not.
    If you're going to Guadalajara make it worthwhile try the tortas ahogadas it will be the best part of your trip...

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Still on the road chasing the Twins of Evil tour all over the country (maybe even to Guadalajara!)

I actually regret not doing that for NIN's wave goodbye tour to be honest. Had I known it was truly "the end" of touring, I would have done the same.
    Especailly the last leg with the NYC shows and the (cancelled/postponed) LA ones. those are the shows i'm REALLY regretting not hitting, and I'm 29!

So with that said, no matter the cost, i'm gonna do a whole North American trek if Trent EVER brings Live Nails back. I want one last blast before he goes 100% into retirement. ESPECIALLY if he announces Fragility Version 3.0 and plays the album from beginning to end like Roger Waters does with The Wall.

It seems like a far fetched idea now, but talks about re-releasing The Fragile have been around for ever, there is no doubt about it TF WILL be re-released, I just don't think anytime soon, and I have a feeling he might do a full fledged "guess who's back" tour to support the re-release.

Then again, this could be me just dreaming...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    While that would be fun, I'm married, in my 30's, and have a mortgage lol. While in no way does that mean a grown ass man can't spend at least some money on something ridiculous now and then, at least do it for something like yeah...NIN. Something where *gasp* it'd actually be worth doing. If I wanted to see a bloated, self absorbed drunk babble on I'd just cruise down to Hastings and Main for a few hours.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    You guys really need to back off this guy. Its fucking silly to be honest.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    No yeah, totally not trying to be an ass about it. Old Manson I'd be down for sure...I just can't see how people would literally follow this wreck of a show around. All joking aside...how could ANYONE see that vid on the last page and come up with seriously one redeeming thing about it. Literally one...thing. It's literally baffling.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Exactly. I asked a bunch of friends who went to Twins of Evil when it came by St. Louis how Manson did and like everyone else here told me how horrible his performance was on top of him being wasted out of his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I actually regret not doing that for NIN's wave goodbye tour to be honest. Had I known it was truly "the end" of touring, I would have done the same.
    Especailly the last leg with the NYC shows and the (cancelled/postponed) LA ones. those are the shows i'm REALLY regretting not hitting, and I'm 29!

So with that said, no matter the cost, i'm gonna do a whole North American trek if Trent EVER brings Live Nails back. I want one last blast before he goes 100% into retirement. ESPECIALLY if he announces Fragility Version 3.0 and plays the album from beginning to end like Roger Waters does with The Wall.

It seems like a far fetched idea now, but talks about re-releasing The Fragile have been around for ever, there is no doubt about it TF WILL be re-released, I just don't think anytime soon, and I have a feeling he might do a full fledged "guess who's back" tour to support the re-release.

Then again, this could be me just dreaming...
    Not to go off subject here, but you're giving me goosebumps! Stop it! Haha. I too would love ONE MORE NIN tour just get another chance to see them again...but I doubt it will be because of the Fragile. Maybe we'll get another go around with NIN again!

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    You guys really need to back off this guy. Its fucking silly to be honest.
    Seriously. Look back far enough and you'll even see the mods here warning everyone that insulting me for the bands I choose to follow on the road and attacking me personally over it was going too far. I mean, it was just a couple months ago in the very same thread, ffs. But some people are just douchebags. C'mon, this was october_midnight trying NOT to be an ass about it, lol. Go figure.That said, I've got some great footage from the St. Louis show to share later, too. Pretty sure it was the only time they've performed "Murderers Are Getting Prettier Every Day" on the Twins of Evil tour and maaaan it was great.
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 10-31-2012 at 02:04 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    While that would be fun, I'm married, in my 30's, and have a mortgage lol. While in no way does that mean a grown ass man can't spend at least some money on something ridiculous now and then, at least do it for something like yeah...NIN.
    I agree Manson is bit of a state at the moment, but you are being just a little pompous. "it would be ok if it was the kind of teenager music I'm into". What has being married got to do with it anyway? Does your other half not allow you to go away on your own

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Nah, of course she does...at that point I believe I had digressed so let me get to the point...again without attacking or insulting as its not my intention. Other than to Manson of course, he's awful.

Manson's music itself is geared toward the teenage mentality what with the rebelliousness (well, not anymore but still..), the imagery, yada yada. Of course he's been stuck with detractors saying that's all it was for his entire career (i.e. you're just the next Alice Cooper, blah blah) and for the longest time it was that he at least was still bringing something interesting to the table. I was among the many that never found it really that shocking but still enjoyed it...obviously because when ACSS came out I was 15. At some point, I refuse to believe that everyone with at least half a brain, which I take the people here to be....everyone here's for the most part smarter than the average yutz I see elsewhere online...can not only take it seriously well in to their 30's and 40's, but even enjoy it.

It's disingenuous drivel at this point. The ultimate of cliches...a washed up, overweight alcoholic who has comfortably slipped in to the ultimate 'rockstar' role of no longer delivering anything culturally or musically relevant, obviously has next to no respect for the people who (for some baffling as hell reason) still care what he has to say. As was said, if it was NIN...sure. The albums have mattered, they've made statements and have pushed the boundaries of a particular subset of music. Trent Reznor was creating ARG's while Manson whines on and on about how shitty the world is. We already know that, genius.

I guess it boils down to a man in his 40's still playing music that's solely geared towards kids. It's like any of the other bands of guys that old that are still pandering to the teen crowd...it blows me away that people could go onstage and do it...let alone others spending thousands of dollars to witness it. Like a 55 year old father of four packing up in a van and following Green Day on a cross country tour, only to come home to his room filled with American Idiot posters and bobbleheads. Hey, if that's what you wanna do...all the power to ya, live your life. It just boggles me I guess that people that some people out there refuse to take the blinders off. After seeing a charlatan for what he is, still being able to shell out money for it. Blows my mind. When I was a kid, sure! I'd pack up and follow Fear Factory or NIN around the fuckin' world. As someone a lot older, my first thought is 'I have more important priorities, and you can be damn sure if I still wanted to do something like this, it'd be for someone making art that actually meant something.' The fact that Manson's shows are a laughing stock now only makes it more ridiculous for those that ARE shelling out the money. Again, it's all opinion and that's mine...disagree, agree...makes no difference.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 10-31-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Totally agree. It's embarrassing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    not gonna lie, this whole "feud" reeks of a publicity stunt

creating some drama and tension so that people actually bother to TALK about the shows so they sell more tickets. remember when it was kerry king vs manson last tour? media loves this shit. mark my words this is all bs.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I have a hard time believing Zombie would 1): give in that kind of bullshit, 2): react the way he did if he was part of it. And Manson can't scheme for shit at this point. Sure, the media love this to some extent, but it's just a drunk acting like a dick, you just have to go downtown to see the same thing. If it's a publicity stunt, it's one of the most pathetic attempt at gaining attention ever.