Page 153 of 155 FirstFirst ... 53 103 143 151 152 153 154 155 LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,590 of 4626

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Just binged half of the new season of the Bear. Excellent with a great soundtrack. Long live the Replacements!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    just watched the new Indiana jones.

I had to stop myself from being critical of some of the cgi, and after that I just enjoyed it.

its not on the level of the originals at all. but its enjoyable. better than the crystal skull.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This was a cool horror

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just re-watched "District 9"... still a very good and powerful movie.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    and to follow-up... re-watched "Chappie"... again, a very good movie, lots going on and well worth watching. An emotional ride.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Watched The Favourite and it was thoroughly OK. The trailer makes it seem like a darkly funny piece like The Lobster was but it was all the more confusing when it wasn't that but instead a pseudo period piece that didn't play out several storylines that were fostered in the beginning.

I am all the more confused then by reading the Wiki article and seeing the accolades it has garnered. I might need to watch it again? The camera work is one thing that certainly stood out to me, mostly for the ways it went from broad and sweeping to a weird close fisheye lens mounted on a swivel so when it turned the edges of the screen were warped as it went.

the night before we watched Emma. and it was similarly OK, though I had no idea what to expect from it as I hadn't seen a trailer but my wife wanted to see it based on a YouTube video she watched about how the dresses were period authentic. No I don't know why she was watching that, she usually watches videos about how to build things, so it was a weird choice. Anyway, the only good out of that one was Bill Nighy (a treasure as always), Miranda Hart (who I know from something but cannot tell from looking at her Wiki), and Rupert Graves. An example of why the movie didn't work for me is that the main character is shown as perfectly polite for most of the movie. Sure she's an ass but she's polite about it. Then suddenly she politely attacks a character's...character...and it's very jarring because there's no reason for it. In another movie it would be the "oh this is the person being drunk and 'speaking a truth' moment" but instead it's just vicious.

Also, watching the credits I saw the name "Isobel Waller-Bridge" and thought...hyphenated names are rare enough, that has to be a relation.
    Waller-Bridge has two younger siblings: Jasper Waller-Bridge and Phoebe Waller-Bridge.
    ah. Also:
    Waller-Bridge is the daughter of Theresa Mary Waller-Bridge (née Clerke) and Michael Cyprian Waller-Bridge.[17] Her father founded the electronic trading platform Tradepoint and her mother works for the Worshipful Company of Ironmongers.[18][19]

The Waller-Bridge family were landed gentry of Cuckfield, Sussex.[20][21] On her father's side, she is a descendant of the Revd Sir Egerton Leigh, 2nd Baronet, and a distant relative of politician and author Egerton Leigh. Her maternal grandfather was Sir John Edward Longueville Clerke, 12th baronet, of Hitcham, Buckinghamshire.[22]
    Of course they are. It's like nepobaby x 1000.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Watched The Favourite and it was thoroughly OK. The trailer makes it seem like a darkly funny piece like The Lobster was but it was all the more confusing when it wasn't that but instead a pseudo period piece that didn't play out several storylines that were fostered in the beginning.

I am all the more confused then by reading the Wiki article and seeing the accolades it has garnered. I might need to watch it again? The camera work is one thing that certainly stood out to me, mostly for the ways it went from broad and sweeping to a weird close fisheye lens mounted on a swivel so when it turned the edges of the screen were warped as it went.

the night before we watched Emma. and it was similarly OK, though I had no idea what to expect from it as I hadn't seen a trailer but my wife wanted to see it based on a YouTube video she watched about how the dresses were period authentic. No I don't know why she was watching that, she usually watches videos about how to build things, so it was a weird choice. Anyway, the only good out of that one was Bill Nighy (a treasure as always), Miranda Hart (who I know from something but cannot tell from looking at her Wiki), and Rupert Graves. An example of why the movie didn't work for me is that the main character is shown as perfectly polite for most of the movie. Sure she's an ass but she's polite about it. Then suddenly she politely attacks a character's...character...and it's very jarring because there's no reason for it. In another movie it would be the "oh this is the person being drunk and 'speaking a truth' moment" but instead it's just vicious.

Also, watching the credits I saw the name "Isobel Waller-Bridge" and thought...hyphenated names are rare enough, that has to be a relation. ah. Also:Of course they are. It's like nepobaby x 1000.
    Yeah I didn't like this as much as I wanted to. I guess I just didn't get it.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    finally got around to Everything Everywhere All At Once, and holy shit that was a headfuck of a movie. I have no idea what was going on, except that it was probably about forgiveness, and I could say a lot more but I probably need to think about it first.

But yes, I liked it. I think.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    that scene with the rocks was incredible for how it kept the theme of the movie and was probably the most French thing I've seen in American cinema in awhile.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    that scene with the rocks was incredible for how it kept the theme of the movie and was probably the most French thing I've seen in American cinema in awhile.
    I could see calling it French, but then again I could see it pulling up practically any influence throughout the movie. It's so intentionally distracting and baffling it's like, well, like the scene where she attacks Jamie Lee Curtis "out of nowhere." Watching the movie feels like you're Jamie Lee Curtis and you just got attacked by some insane person.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished watching "Midnight Asia: Eat - Dance - Dream" on Netflix.

I like this type of show and it didn't disappoint me. Food+Culture are always pretty much decent watching in my book...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Just finished watching this...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Finally watched "High-Rise" ... a heavy movie.

Well... that escalated quickly.

And while I was aware of the YouTube rip of that Portishead cover, it did not give much away the context which it was used.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 10-13-2023 at 04:00 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    This isn't a "documentary" I guess, and it's currently being uploaded in installments, so it's fluid and interesting like that... but this Youtuber named Reckless Ben and his goofy friends troll this guy who runs an "extreme haunt attraction" called McKamey Manor. It starts off more juvenile and ridiculous, and then as it goes along it gets more and more serious as they realize what's in the footage they uncover, and how seriously damaged, dangerous, and psychotic Russ McKamey is. I've never seen anything like this. The most recent episode (which has been flagged by Russ McKamey's cultish followers) is amazing and disturbing.

Trigger warning - there's real depictions of sadistic abuse and legitimate torture.

It is a really intense watch, and it's fascinating. It's hard to recommend where to start, there's all sorts of videos and recaps. Just youtube search "Reckless Ben" and "McKamey."
    The most recent video is , unless it gets taken down... but I'd suggest going through some of the earlier videos to get an introduction to the whole thing. It's hard to believe it's actually real, some of it is so far fetched.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    The new season of Fargo is fantastic.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    This isn't a "documentary" I guess, and it's currently being uploaded in installments, so it's fluid and interesting like that... but this Youtuber named Reckless Ben and his goofy friends troll this guy who runs an "extreme haunt attraction" called McKamey Manor. It starts off more juvenile and ridiculous, and then as it goes along it gets more and more serious as they realize what's in the footage they uncover, and how seriously damaged, dangerous, and psychotic Russ McKamey is. I've never seen anything like this. The most recent episode (which has been flagged by Russ McKamey's cultish followers) is amazing and disturbing.

Trigger warning - there's real depictions of sadistic abuse and legitimate torture.

It is a really intense watch, and it's fascinating. It's hard to recommend where to start, there's all sorts of videos and recaps. Just youtube search "Reckless Ben" and "McKamey."
    The most recent video is , unless it gets taken down... but I'd suggest going through some of the earlier videos to get an introduction to the whole thing. It's hard to believe it's actually real, some of it is so far fetched.
    Obviously this is different than what Hulu has?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Obviously this is different than what Hulu has?
    It's the same subject matter, McKamey manor, but in my opinion it goes a lot deeper, and is currently happening. They've hunted down his personal hard drive full of videos at the moment and are leaking some of them online.

Another difference is that the guys making this are trying to get the authorities involved to get the McKamey shut down and the guy possibly arrested.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-07-2023 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It's the same subject matter, McKamey manor, but in my opinion it goes a lot deeper, and is currently happening. They've hunted down his personal hard drive full of videos at the moment and are leaking some of them online.

Another difference is that the guys making this are trying to get the authorities involved to get the McKamey shut down and the guy possibly arrested.
    Wow, that is crazy! Good for them

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Wow, that is crazy! Good for them
    Actually the most recent development is that the police have newly opened an investigation into Russ McKamey based on the footage these Youtubers uncovered. Once this has fully wrapped up someone needs to go through all this footage and piece together a two hour long documentary or something. The whole part where they hunt down the elusive hard drive is crazy.

Digging through all this stuff, I've seen some legitimately disturbing things though, so it's fair to put up a warning. It gets a lot more twisted than the stuff shown in the Hulu doc. Like one video I saw where Russ forces his girlfriend to undergo waterboarding while she begs him to stop. It's fucked up and really hard to watch.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Talk To Me is really solid, despite having to squint through a few plot mechanics. Looking forward to Talk 2 Me.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This was odd and interesting.

Great to see Richard E. Grant in something!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Watched Poor Things twice in cinemas. It's that good.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The Holdovers was pretty solid.
    Nice touch to make it look like a movie from an era or decades past.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    The finale of The Curse. I think WTF?!?!? pretty much covers it.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    The Holdovers was pretty solid.
    Just watched it too, it was GREAT.

Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Nice touch to make it look like a movie from an era or decades past.
    Anyone else got reminded of Queens of the Stone Age when the vintage "Rated R" logo showed up?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Holdovers was great, my favorite movie of 2023.

Just saw The Beekeeper and loved it. It was a smart, well-made old-school action flick.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Mostly a lot of Dropout TV stuff. I somehow got the bird episode on my feed and that was hilarious so I went looking for some other stuff. It's pretty much all gold.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just saw American Fiction, excellent film.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I heard somewhere that the Jason Statham action movie The Beekeeper was good. I watched it and it wasn't, it was a cheap version of John Wick. Jeremy Irons is fun to watch though.