Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1973

Thread: Add Violence

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    For some reason I thought the EP was out today.... ahhhh listening

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyJ View Post
    The more and more i listen to the whole EP and am able to incorporate Less Than rather than hearing it in a standalone context, wow. What an incredible 5 songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    Dear lord, I have heard strange things in my life...
    But this song The Background World and this locked loop is mind blowing...
    I don't think I ever ran into anything like this, 7 fucking minutes of a constant symphony...
    The strangest thing is when it gets out of the TEMPO, but then at a certain point, it returns almost to its position to the TEMPO, as the distortion gets worse.
    Fucking brilliant!
    Could be my words. Love it all.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosingFocus View Post
    Ok cheers thanks. I'll try to fire up an old laptop and see if Spotify plays fine on there.

So on your version is the a along gap at the end of Lovers? Like a silence?
    Nope. No gap there.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    The tambourine at the end of "LESS THAN" gives me shivers every time. What a great fucking single.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    'The Background World' has been on my playlist an awful lot. If I'm not listening then it's stuck in my head.

Very interesting track and I have a million ideas as to whats going on.

I wish I could have an open convo with TR. I hate traditional fucking interviews that ask nothing about his complex writings and ideas and what the fuck is he talking (singing) about.

I think this is what has kept me so close to NIN over the years.

Maybe I'll DM my list of questions... I bet that will reach him.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I've always felt like this teaser is a good visual of what TR is always dealing with...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not Anymore sounds really messy and sometimes I listen to it and think that's a good thing but other times I listen and think it's a bad thing. I can't get a grip on that song and decide whether I like it or not. lol

I'm still loving Less Than and The Background World (the first part) the most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just noticed the background world bleeds into burning bright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The more I listen to this EP, the more I love it. I enjoyed NTAE, but I'm obsessed with Add Violence. Less Then fills that catchy NIN space for me (I'm that guy that loves Discipline and Came Back Haunted), The Lovers and This Isn't The Place slow the momentum but not in a bad way, very chilling and solid tracks. I didn't really like Not Anymore the first time I heard it but it grew on me with each listen - it definitely conveys an emotional state inline with its inferred context. The Background World is amazing. I can't stop listening to it or Less Then. I even listen to the majority of the looped half on every listen, really only stopping it to start the song over again. Can't wait to see what EP the third has to offer. I have an hour long commute to work everyday, and then an hour back, so I've been listening to NTAE into Add Violence. I'm curious if adding the third EP will make it seem like one cohesive album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Has anybody else toyed at all with making a mix of both EPs and trying to get it to flow right? It's pretty tricky, this is probably my favorite order of the ones I've experimented with:

1. Less Than
    2. Dear World,
    3. She's Gone Away
    4. This Isn't the Place
    5. Not Anymore
    6. Branches/Bones
    7. Burning Bright (Field on Fire)
    8. The Lovers
    9. The Idea of You
    10. The Background World

The biggest takeaway from all of this has been that "Less Than" into "Dear World," is a seriously kick-ass transition.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Someone from either here or reddit, I forget, made this mix and it's AWESOME, but there are definitely plenty of other ways to mix them and make them sonds good. I might switch up BB and TBW just because the idea of ending it with BB is perfect to me
    Branches/Bones
    Less Than
    Dear World
    The Lovers
    She's Gone Away
    This Isn't The Place
    The Idea Of You
    Not Anymore
    Burning Bright
    The Background World

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Also, does anyone feel like both EP's are way more connected to With Teeth, The Slip, and Hesitation Marks than Year Zero?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    One of trents biggest fans and critics. IDK, I don't love it right now. It's ok.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinperiod1 View Post
    One of trents biggest fans and critics. IDK, I don't love it right now. It's ok.
    I agree. Kinda underwhelmed by both the album and live show right now.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm not gonna lie to you guys. If EP 3 drops and it turns out the new NIN album is a compilation of these EPs to create a full record, there's a chance that it could be my favorite Nine Inch Nails album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ill have to make that playlist. I borderline feel like i just didnt like some of it but maybe it's just the context in which i heard the songs.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Just listened on Spotify. First thoughts:

Less Than: Feels like a true progressor to PHM, and with a very familiar droning guitar tone.
    The Lovers: This is what Trent was trying to accomplish with HM. Turns out the solution was one Atticus away.
    This Isn't the Place: Played in a jazz club in the Year Zero world. I'd like to hear Mariqueen sing this one.
    Not Anymore: They've never gone THIS crazy since TDS (and, to a similar extent, the Tetsuo theme). I've been waiting for something like this in a long, long time, and I never thought they'd deliver another jarring, distorted, all-over-the-place tune. Happy. Very happy.
    The Background World: Again, begins in HTDA-ish territory before making The Great Destroyer sound like child's play. Perhaps Alessandro gave TR&AR Merzbow's phone number?

NTAE is The Hound. AV is Tyrion.
    Last edited by wizfan; 07-25-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    After I've had some time with it, Im not sure I see myself listening to this very much. I mean the songs are good, but I just get so much anxiety from it (which Im guessing is the point). Most of my listening is done through headphones at the gym, probably on a stereo it'd be fine, but it just makes me so uncomfortable that I'm not sure I wanna listen to it that often.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    The Background World: Again, begins in HTDA-ish territory before making The Great Destroyer sound like child's play.
    I don't get where this is coming from. Don't get me wrong, I love The Background World (after a couple of listens even more so than at first), but the ending is really not that crazy ... especially compared to The Great Destroyer. TBW deconstructs a short sequence of music over a loooong period of time and buries it in a wall of noise -- TGD on the other hand is so much more in-your-face fuck everything up bleep blop OMG than that. TBW is dark, it's unpleasant, it's honestly frightening, but saying it's this totally crazy thing that blows you ears off feels just wrong to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGobi View Post
    After I've had some time with it, Im not sure I see myself listening to this very much. I mean the songs are good, but I just get so much anxiety from it (which Im guessing is the point). Most of my listening is done through headphones at the gym, probably on a stereo it'd be fine, but it just makes me so uncomfortable that I'm not sure I wanna listen to it that often.
    Mix it with NTAE (NTAE track 1, then AD track 1 etc) make more much better listening.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Copy of a - "Look what you've gone and done"

Less Than - "Look what you gone done"

ADD VIOLENCE/Lose Grammar!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    I don't get where this is coming from. Don't get me wrong, I love The Background World (after a couple of listens even more so than at first), but the ending is really not that crazy ... especially compared to The Great Destroyer. TBW deconstructs a short sequence of music over a loooong period of time and buries it in a wall of noise -- TGD on the other hand is so much more in-your-face fuck everything up bleep blop OMG than that. TBW is dark, it's unpleasant, it's honestly frightening, but saying it's this totally crazy thing that blows you ears off feels just wrong to me.
    I agree that TBW doesn't sound as wicked and sprawling as TGD. It's just that the fact that TBW's ending loop is (deliberately) looped wrong, and that fucks with my psyche a lot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosingFocus View Post
    Mix it with NTAE (NTAE track 1, then AD track 1 etc) make more much better listening.
    Honestly, Im not sure its even the track order but more the songs themselves. I just get creeped right out by them

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i've found that the tail end of "the background world" flows perfectly into the beginning of "branches/bones" so i've been listening to the EPs in reverse chronological order. while the end of "burning bright" works going into "less than" it feels less purposeful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i've found that the tail end of "the background world" flows perfectly into the beginning of "branches/bones" so i've been listening to the EPs in reverse chronological order. while the end of "burning bright" works going into "less than" it feels less purposeful.
    Going to give that a try today, thanks.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Absolutely love the EP. Not sure about the loop on "THE BACKGROUND WORLD." Otherwise I am very happy with the EP. I think I might even like it better than NTAE, in fact.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by themcrookedreptiles View Post
    I noticed this as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by themcrookedreptiles View Post
    That gave me an idea.

How about playing NTAE after AV -- but inverted?

01) Less Than
    02) The Lovers
    03) This Isn't The Place
    04) Not Anymore
    05) The Background World

06) Burning Bright
    07) The Idea Of You
    08) She's Gone Away
    09) Dear World,
    10) Branches/Bones

Ha, and that would totally fit with the way the new live shows start. "Yes, everyone seems to be asleep" plays at the ending of Dear World, and after that B/B launches at you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullton View Post
    lol wut. Everything was the "safest" song hes probably ever done. it's like shitty pop punk.. I get what he was going for from interviews but man did that just not work out.
    Shitty pop punk? Kinda Green Day? I don't get any of that. I hear The Cure all over that track.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I was tempted to make a mixed playlist, but in the end I just wanted to listen to Add Violence, so...