Thread: Random General Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Now that I think about it, "you're welcome" is a strange way to respond to "thank you."

You're welcome. Welcome to what?
    Whatever it was they're thanking you for. So if you hold the door open and someone says "Thank you", when you say "you're welcome" you're saying "you're welcome to have me always hold the door open for you! You're awesome!"

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    Whatever it was they're thanking you for. So if you hold the door open and someone says "Thank you", when you say "you're welcome" you're saying "you're welcome to have me always hold the door open for you! You're awesome!"
    I suppose that makes sense, but it still seems odd to me. "You are welcome to my assistance." It's just weird. It would be like answering with "Oh, help yourself."

"Hey, thanks for holding the door!"

"Help yourself!"

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I suppose that makes sense, but it still seems odd to me. "You are welcome to my assistance." It's just weird. It would be like answering with "Oh, help yourself."

"Help yourself!"
    But if they help themselves they wouldn't be using your welcoming assistance.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

"Help yourself!"
    Dude, you're a fellow English major; every time *I* wonder about something, I do some research :P

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2...committee.html

https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...come-come-from