Thread: Happy Birthday to Broken - 20 years old today

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    So I was digging through a box of my old crap and found something that made me happy-sad-happy the other day.

At first I was happy 'cause I thought the whole poster had been stolen or destroyed or just generally disappeared over a decade ago.

Then I was ECSTATIC when I realized my mini-CD was still in the sleeve!

And then I pulled it out and realized it had gotten chipped in the box and become unplayable even though it was in perfect condition the last time I'd seen it. Bah!

And then I thought it was kinda cool that it matched its sleeve better missing that same little fingertip-notch, plus, I mean...it's BROKEN. So there's THAT, at least.

Ha.

Anyway, I put it on the fragility poster with my two Chicago tickets back in the day because that was the first time I'd ever had the chance to see NIN in the same YEAR, let alone the same WEEK, and since both shows were practically next door to my apartment I figured I'd never have an easier time of waiting as long as necessary to try for an autograph. To that end, I took one of my most portable and cherished NIN collectibles, the Broken mini-CD. Survived the pit and everything! Apparently the tender mercies of my constant moving and poor storage were just too much for it though, lol.

Finding it made me remember how lucky I was to have already been a fan long before its release and how many dozens of times I must've scoured the racks at MusicLand and Camelot and wherever before ZOMFG NIN ACTUALLY PUT SOMETHING OUT AGAIN and I happily scored Broken the day it came out.

Living in the middle of nowhere I literally knew NO ONE ELSE who liked NIN or owned Broken so it was YEARS before I finally found out there was also a single-CD version and how lucky I was to get the mini-CD instead.

So finding it broken was a bit heart-wrenching, naturally.

Made me wonder, though...is there any hard data about how many were ever made?

Likewise, I've never ONCE seen one for sale since then. Anyone have any idea what they go for these days?

Not selling MINE, obviously, just curious. And in the market if anyone's holding!

Thanks.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    i got my min-disc several years ago on eBay, i think i paid like, 6 bucks for it? was a really good catch i think. i played it once, then packed it up with the rest of my collection. still in great condition of i remember right.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Made me wonder, though...is there any hard data about how many were ever made?
    TR quote of 250k here, the 12/3/92 post: http://www.theninhotline.net/archive...cle.php?id=327