Page 123 of 216 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 133 173 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,690 of 6456

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Would you consider TPD (the halo) a single or a remix EP? Considering the domestic version doesn't carry the studio version, and it's called "The Perfect Drug Versions", I'm kinda feeling like I should label it a remix EP, but as it's only for one song...
    Oh god don't remind me, that was aggravating...
    It's a remix EP to me, the absence of the original track makes it so.

HEAR THAT TRENT ? NOTHING BUT A #@$§&% REMIX EP !

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Oh god don't remind me, that was aggravating...
    It's a remix EP to me, the absence of the original track makes it so.

HEAR THAT TRENT ? NOTHING BUT A #@$§&% REMIX EP !
    So is the EU/International version a single? THESE THINGS BOTHER ME

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Maxi-single?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    There are a lot of releases without the original or album version of a track that are labeled singles, including HLAH. There are singles with radio or single mixes, and 12-inch singles. So, calling it a single would make sense.

Calling it an EP also makes sense, but only because it has several tracks (which also applies to the non-US versions).

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Would you consider TPD (the halo) a single or a remix EP? Considering the domestic version doesn't carry the studio version, and it's called "The Perfect Drug Versions", I'm kinda feeling like I should label it a remix EP, but as it's only for one song...
    I'd go with the verbiage from the press release and call it a Remix EP.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    What do the numbers represent on the album art for The Perfect Drug?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I put info about that on the NINwiki:

The cover art for the 2 track promo release contains a series of numbers that correspond to letters of the alphabet and when decoded, they make the lyric phrase "without you everything falls apart".
    Last edited by piggy; 08-23-2015 at 10:14 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I've done some Google Investigating, and this is what I keep seeing: 4LP Nine Inch Nails - Halo I-IV [LP+3-12'' Box Set] (180 Gram, original masters, Pretty Hate Machine LP plus Down In It 12'', Head Like A Hole 12'' EP, Sin 12'', indie-exclusive)
    How many Record Store Days are there in a year? I thought it only took place in April?

Anyhow, I assume Bicycle Music (or is it Ume?) is pushing for this vinyl release. Unless there's something amazing with the artwork or bonus material, this will probably be the first NIN release I won't bother picking up.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    How many Record Store Days are there in a year? I thought it only took place in April?
    These all say "Black Friday"... I dunno if that means the regular Black Friday, or something different.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    These all say "Black Friday"... I dunno if that means the regular Black Friday, or something different.
    Black Friday is the regular day - the day after US Thanksgiving. The actual record store day is in April, but that same group organizes a Black Friday sale thing.

This page explains it all in very confusing terms.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'm talking/arguing/being my normal self to someone who is convinced that that fake track on youtube, "Fading" is a legit Tapeworm track. Anyone know the actual source to put it to rest? Or if it is tapeworm and I'm deaf, call me out.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post

Anyhow, I assume Bicycle Music (or is it Ume?) is pushing for this vinyl release. Unless there's something amazing with the artwork or bonus material, this will probably be the first NIN release I won't bother picking up.
    Bicycle now owns the song-publishing and master rights that used to belong to TVT Music, which needs to be involved in order to approve new remasters etc. (with TR's blessing) — but I believe Universal can simply repackage and re-press existing masters like this as they please, as long as the content is substantively unchanged, for domestic releases.

Correct me if I'm wrong, industry wonks!
    Last edited by botley; 08-28-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    When you guys or gals say "pretty hate machine" in your mind or spoken loudly - which of those three words do you put a stress on?
    Is it more "pretty" than "hate" or vice-versa? Or it's mainly just "machine"?
    Do you also pronounce pair of words as one, and if so, is it "prettyhate machine" or "pretty hatemachine" for you?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I say Jolie Machine de Haine because I'm ridiculously french, pedant and omelette du fromage.

Also I say Pweityaïht Mosheen. Well that's how it sounds when I try to say it out loud.
    Last edited by Khrz; 08-28-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    When you guys or gals say "pretty hate machine" in your mind or spoken loudly - which of those three words do you put a stress on?
    Is it more "pretty" than "hate" or vice-versa? Or it's mainly just "machine"?
    Do you also pronounce pair of words as one, and if so, is it "prettyhate machine" or "pretty hatemachine" for you?
    Pretty Hate-Machine for lyfe. At least that's the way I've always interpreted it. A pretty machine that produces hate. As opposed to a machine that produces pretty-hate.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Sometimes, when I’m feeling sassy, I’ll roll the r.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I put info about that on the NINwiki:

The cover art for the 2 track promo release contains a series of numbers that correspond to letters of the alphabet and when decoded, they make the lyric phrase "without you everything falls apart".
    Holy shit, how have I never noticed that? had that promo for years before selling off my collection and never once took to figuring out what the numbers meant.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Holy shit, how have I never noticed that? had that promo for years before selling off my collection and never once took to figuring out what the numbers meant.
    I know! I never owned the promo, but I think that's pretty fucking cool.
    Last edited by piggy; 08-29-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Is it just me or did Trent delete all of his tweets? Looks like there's only 1 tweet on his page:

https://twitter.com/trent_reznor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by placepinion View Post
    Is it just me or did Trent delete all of his tweets? Looks like there's only 1 tweet on his page:

I was hoping someone else saw this as well....weird.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by placepinion View Post

That is weird. I'll be the first to call ARG on that.

Also, Weird Al and Ellen follow Trent, something about that makes me really happy.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    This question has probably been asked before so apologies if it annoys anyone.

Why weren't the purest feelings demos remastered and released with Pretty Hate Machine?

Are those songs not supposed to exist?

Anywhere I can get more information about Purest Feeling?

Edited for spelling.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    This question has probably been asked before so apologies if it annoys anyone.

Why weren't the purest feelings demos remastered and released with Pretty Hate Machine?

Are those songs not supposed to exist?

Anywhere I can get more information about Purest Feeling?

Edited for spelling.
    Because it's a demo album, and don't match the idea and tone he was going for with PHM. It would be nice to get an official release (perhaps if there's ever a PHM Deluxe), but it wouldn't really belong on the album. Trent has never played the title track live, and hasn't played Twist or Maybe Just Once in a couple decades, so it's also fairly apparent he probably doesn't like them either, or at least doesn't feel they're worth returning to.
    There's also another issue: the sampling. Purest Feeling is full of film samples, and those things cost money. To do a commercial release with those in place would require paying out royalties, and this most likely is why PHM-Remaster has Sanctified's elongated sample removed, licensing fees. It's also notable in that the non-commercial version of All The Love In The World from The Definitive NIN: Deep Cuts contains a long sample from the Twilight Zone, missing from the commercial, With Teeth version. Trent's very aware of these issues, so that could have held him back from putting any of them onto PHM-R.

There's a little info on it here ( http://www.nin.wiki/Purest_Feeling_(album) ), but in reality we don't know a huge amount about PF - hell, we don't even know who released it, could've been a studio tech, or a bandmate who was pissed off/wanted quick cash. But Trent hasn't ever commented on it, and has never attempted to return to the material, so it's not worth holding your breath over. Putting the time and money into a remaster, and then having to pay various licensing fees (hell, there might even be unpaid fees left for the studio he recorded it in) for something so easily available is unlikely to be tempting.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @piggy - I think you might like this question, and after discussing the fan-base with you, I'd also be interested to see what you might have to say about it.

@billpulsipher - I have a feeling that you'd love this type of question, especially with your opinions about Nine Inch Nails before and after The Fragile.

@kleiner352 - As always, you know I love what you have to say on just about anything and everything Nine Inch Nails. It seems like this question would be another essay or two worth writing. You also seem to articulate my very opinions, but in a uniquely, yet far more elaborate way. (As we often see eye to eye anyway.) And with the way that you simply put things, you've also indirectly gave me ideas and opinions about NIN that I haven't ever considered before.

Did anybody else notice that any discussion about Nine Inch Nails seems to hardly go beyond The Fragile or With Teeth in forums outside of Echoing the Sound and NIN.com?

I'm definitely serious, because even if it goes to the point of discussing Nine Inch Nails way beyond the hits right down to the albums, videos and concerts, most of the discussion doesn't seem to go beyond The Fragile and With Teeth.

For obvious reasons, I know it's because the "greatest hits material" for the lack of a better term, or should I say, the songs and albums that made NIN big are pretty much sealed in the 1990s, but I would certainly like to see what other NIN fans would take it and make of it on ETS. (And I'm very well aware that it's because those aren't NIN forums anyway being the most obvious point and all, but it still interests me to see how NIN gets discussed in music sections of forums outside of ETS and NIN.com.)

This also seemed to keep occurring to me just about every single time I made or have seen a Nine Inch Nails thread in the music sections of other forums. It's either that, or "What's a NIN?" That also seems to be the case whenever it comes to discussing NIN in depth in real life as well.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-04-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: I didn't always make the NIN threads other forums, as I've also just witnessed them too. I somehow forgot to mention that.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I don't recall in detail which albums were discussed when I've read NIN-related threads on other message boards, but I'd be willing to venture that TDS was mentioned a lot in addition to those.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I want to know why did Trent not include Maybe Just Once on Pretty Hate Machine?
    im just baffled its an amazing song.
    Its a truly brilliant sweet piece of 80s pop music... there is nothing remotely Industrial about it. Its basic Synth Pop.
    Sounds no different to type of pop bands like Bronski Beat, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, early Depeche Mode, A-HA, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, With Sympathy era Ministry..etc.
    Im not joking but i think its now scraping in my top NIN songs list. Something about its innocence. And Trents voice is stunning on this track.
    Has he ever discussed Maybe Just Once?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Scroll back 3 posts in this same thread

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Because it's a demo album, and don't match the idea and tone he was going for with PHM. It would be nice to get an official release (perhaps if there's ever a PHM Deluxe), but it wouldn't really belong on the album. Trent has never played the title track live, and hasn't played Twist or Maybe Just Once in a couple decades, so it's also fairly apparent he probably doesn't like them either, or at least doesn't feel they're worth returning to.
    There's also another issue: the sampling. Purest Feeling is full of film samples, and those things cost money. To do a commercial release with those in place would require paying out royalties, and this most likely is why PHM-Remaster has Sanctified's elongated sample removed, licensing fees. It's also notable in that the non-commercial version of All The Love In The World from The Definitive NIN: Deep Cuts contains a long sample from the Twilight Zone, missing from the commercial, With Teeth version. Trent's very aware of these issues, so that could have held him back from putting any of them onto PHM-R.

There's a little info on it here ( http://www.nin.wiki/Purest_Feeling_(album) ), but in reality we don't know a huge amount about PF - hell, we don't even know who released it, could've been a studio tech, or a bandmate who was pissed off/wanted quick cash. But Trent hasn't ever commented on it, and has never attempted to return to the material, so it's not worth holding your breath over. Putting the time and money into a remaster, and then having to pay various licensing fees (hell, there might even be unpaid fees left for the studio he recorded it in) for something so easily available is unlikely to be tempting.
    Didn't the guy who did Pretty Eight Machine (inverse phase is it?) get refused permission to add Purest Feeling and Maybe Just Once to his project?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Didn't the guy who did Pretty Eight Machine (inverse phase is it?) get refused permission to add Purest Feeling and Maybe Just Once to his project?
    There was publishing issues yeah, he didn't spell out exactly what it was but it is licensed to something and I bet that something is a real fucking pain.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    In the Ministry Doc "Fix" they talk to Duane Buford who played keyboards with them at the time. He goes on to explain how all the samples are triggered live and that nothing is backing tapes. He goes on to discredit bands that use backing tracks as he think that they are lame. He specifically says that he knows one band from Cleveland that is notorious for that. Is he talking about NIN?