Page 35 of 55 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1648

Thread: Gone Girl (2014)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Sealed? The whole point of them is to be opened to judge for awards
    I own SEALED copies of the previous two…some judges don't open them.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    That is a depressing image of the awards industry I guess

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    That is a depressing image of the awards industry I guess

Yes, it is all political. Some may listen to them but I assume most toss them aside. I have seen numerous SEALED ones in the past for sale.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    Somebody mentioned this is Fincher's most humorous film and I agree. More of a black comedy to be sure, but laughs and chuckles were abundant.
    The first time I saw it, there were definitely some big laugh moments. Tanner Bolt's line at the end had me rolling - I think due in large part because it comes as such a fucking release at that point, not unlike Martin putting on Enya in Fincher's Dragon Tattoo. For me personally, I probably get the most laughs out of Social Network, and Fight Club registers the easiest in my brain as a comedy - which it is to Pitt and Fincher, and I agree with them.

I saw this a second time earlier this week and I think it fucked me up more than it did the first time. Outside of maybe The Shining, I can't think of a horror movie that has left me as shaken as Gone Girl - and even that's hard to gauge since I was very young when I first saw The Shining. Thematically, GG is just pitch black, isn't it? And that's the stuff - the ideas behind it, the implications, the dread, the ambiguity - that seeps into my bones and makes me ill.

Granted, the one major moment of physical violence is shocking, and watching it a 2nd time, I was almost dry-heaving, which never happens to me.

On repeat viewing I was certainly more aware of the abundance of delicious/terrifying inversions towards the end - whether it was just a look a character gave, a tiny action or a small line of dialogue. I think I might squeeze in a 3rd viewing this weekend, and a 4th w/ my brother who hasn't seen it yet next week.

I was trying to explain to my friends that even though the book and the movie are almost exactly the same in terms of the story and ending, the movie makes me feel sick by the time the credits roll, whereas the book left me with this darkly comic vibe when I read the last sentence. To simplify it, I guess it's the power of audio & visuals? TR & AR's credits theme really nails the mood, and I find it hard to get back up out of my seat because I need to recover from everything. If only every movie had that power!

Speaking of which, I still haven't listened to the score/album separate from the movie. Planning on doing that this weekend and very excited for my first, uninterrupted listen!
    Last edited by Deadpool; 10-10-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Completely agreed on how I felt that the movie was more satisfying than the book, and I think you're right on the power of audio & visuals having a major impact on our perception of this story. Best use of a TR/AR score so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey everyone, I'm a bit of a lurker here but never had any good reason to post before.

There is a film critic in Ireland that I have been following for a few years that does really good 15-20 minute critiques of movies (usually ones that have been out a few years).

This week he did one about Gone Girl and talks about the score about 10 minutes in or so.

That is only partially why I think it is a good listen the other is his conclusion on Gone Girl which completely changed the movie for me.

I warn you though. Do Not Listen to the podcast until after you have see the film.

I hope you guys like it as much as I have. http://www.stevenbenedict.ie/2014/10/gone-girl/

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I was so thoroughly impressed and pleased with this score when it first released, and like everyone else now, having seen the film, it enhanced so many tracks. The use of Sugar Storm, Consummation, and What Have Done/Are We Going To Do were so stunningly perfect and just melded with the scenes they were a part of so well. Maybe it's not popular to say, but I honestly felt that with Dragon Tattoo, the score was mixed too loud in some scenes to where it over-powered the scene itself and took me out of the scene, but here there wasn't a single moment where the music didn't feel totally intertwined. The way it's mixed in and used alone makes me really, really hopeful that Trent and Atticus could get another Oscar.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i am totally addicted to the album now that i've seen the film. the only piece i found inappropriate/jarring was "The Way He Looks at Me" — awesome, noisy music, almost a brother or cousin of the Tetsuo: The Bullet Man piece, but completely mismatched with the procedural (or whatever it was) montage in the film. it stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

really digging the Cliff Martinez/Solaris vibe all over. pretty sure it was a massive inspiration, as one or two of the pieces directly rip off "First Sleep" (and its recurrences) from that soundtrack.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Any stems for this one yet? Love me some trent stems

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Dot-Yung View Post
    Any stems for this one yet? Love me some trent stems
    *and Atticus

And no, I doubt there will be. Labels REALLY hate releasing remix files, the lack of any for HM tells me Columbia's not letting any out for a while.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    ...really digging the Cliff Martinez/Solaris vibe all over. pretty sure it was a massive inspiration, as one or two of the pieces directly rip off "First Sleep" (and its recurrences) from that soundtrack.
    Pretty sure this might have something to do with it, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aywok View Post
    Pretty sure this might have something to do with it, too.
    Yep, pretty sure all those beautiful string pads are coming from an A6, but that might be the MKS-80 pictured on Tumblr as well...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hello. Anyone else still waiting for their physical CD? I'm loving the digital download but am still old school and like the CD. Cheers

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericy210 View Post
    Hello. Anyone else still waiting for their physical CD? I'm loving the digital download but am still old school and like the CD. Cheers
    It doesn't ship until November, so yes.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    New promo site with what appears to be alt (aka probably FYC) of Appearances http://www.riverofsecrets.com/

And, as always, http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.co...added-for-gone

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Listening to the soundtrack for the third time now, I obviously need to watch the movie soon...
    I like the vibe of it, it's reminding me of Eno's dark ambient albums, Apollo and On Land. Plus, the NIN-isms here and there are very welcome. I wonder if Trend or Atticus have heard of Jan Bang.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post
    Listening to the soundtrack for the third time now,
    Damn…I'm like on listen 24 or 25.

Been listening to it on repeat ever since it came out. Maybe I'm too obsessive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post

I can't stop listening. It's their best work for sure.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    finished the book today. still can't stop listening to the soundtrack. i think i'm up to around 24 times through, as well.

does anyone notice that a couple of the songs have really, really abrupt transitions into others? or is there something wrong with my files? i'll be interested (if no one else has noticed) to see what they sound like on CD/vinyl.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Same here ^ almost as if the downloads cut off early

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Same here ^ almost as if the downloads cut off early
    my only thought is that they did that intentionally to make it a little unsettling...but it might just be very slightly corrupted files. guess we'll find out!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post

Well, it's really good! Just Like You, such a surprisingly ...mature... piece of music.

Appearances... shades of early 90s techno...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    At some point during watching it today, I thought someone behind me was fidgeting with their seat. About a few beats in I realized it was the score, and remembered there were no seats directly behind me at all.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i loved the soundtrack while i was watching the movie.
    but i just can't get into listening to the movie scores by themselves like you guys do

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Most movie scores I can't listen to in isolation, particularly not the orchestral ones. Aside from Trentticus' instrumentation being more my cup of tea, they also make an unusual effort to arrange the music into a format that's easily listenable.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I have seen the movie and loved the score and how it fit in. But I haven't listened to the score by itself yet. I want to save that for when the cd comes out and I can just put on my headphones and let the music soak into my brain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gone Girl

Spoiler: That throat slit was pretty intense on its own.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Trentticus'
    Atticent**

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Atticent**
    Rosnor****

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMorlock View Post
    Spoiler: That throat slit was pretty intense on its own.
    dude, seriously, use a spoiler tag. that's a pretty important and unexpected part of the movie.

edit: thank you!
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 10-16-2014 at 10:27 AM.