Thread: 2017.07.30 - New York City, NY @ Panorama Music Festival

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    This was my favorite time at a NIN show I've ever had, and the list of reasons are long, but rather than write a full show review or mention things I've already brought up elsewhere, I'll just list a few of them:

Being on the rail for NIN is unlike anything I've ever experienced. It outdid seeing Dillinger on the rail, even. The lack of big screens only added to the experience, and I think the decision to remove the lights was a wonderful way of removing the distractions of the big glowing screens we all carry around in our hands all day in 2017 that constantly give us more reasons to feel anxiety. It took the band and the audience and put us in a very connected, present and physical world during a time period of digital paranoia and virtual isolation and I think it speaks to the themes of both EPs very well.

I'm sure they'll bring back the big fuck-your-eyeballs visuals next year, but I am beyond glad I saw a show without them, and I didn't miss them at all. As someone who used footage of Lights in the Sky as a way to get into the band's live shows, that surprised me heavily. Keeping the set so aggressive and intense helped maintain that sense of constant mental presence and allowed for almost no points where you'd feel distracted, want to look around of think of anything else. The crowd got it, the band was on fire and no songs felt boring, tired or dated. I've never seen this band playing at such an intensity before and it really feels like the dangerous energy of the 90's band and the calculated professionalism of the modern one have completely intertwined to create something vibrant, vital and original again.

A big part of what made this so special to me was that it was my first time leaving Florida, and it couldn't have happened too soon. Getting on a plane and going by myself to see a city I've dreamed of since I was a little kid and take it all in, to meet two members of my favorite band in an historic venue and to then see that band perform right in front of me the night after was magical, and it was a series of firsts that I think will never be outdone in my life. Thank you so, so much @Sarah K for making this experience so possible and wonderful for me, and I'm still so sad I couldn't snag you a Webster ticket before I had to go as a thank you. It was a whirlwind of experiences that I will never forget, and when life is full of so many days we will never remember, to have several in a row where every second is going to be permanent in my mind is just wonderful. It's a beautiful city full of beautiful people and you helped me see some of the best of it and feel immediately comfortable; so many people would never even think of taking somebody in and showing them around, let alone indulging in every whim, random desire to explore and impulse-based decision to eat like their body is made of pure trash as you did, but it seemed like it was nothing to you and that says so much about who you are.

On that note it brings up another big part of what made the show so special -- all of the amazing people I got to meet. Every concert always has us form those temporary concert buddies, but NIN shows always seem to lead to me meeting the best, most passionate and beautiful people, full of warmth, friendliness, love and support and this show was full of those connections and interactions. I'd never met anybody from this board before, and getting to meet Sarah, @somewhat_, @magnolia, @RJK, @halo33 (whose Year Zero remixes played a big part in my development as a fan for this band) and so many others was incredible. Every single person was unique, funny, interesting and lovely and I can never get over how amazing it is that a band so full of darkness, loneliness and detachment can lead to so much human connection, friendliness and energy.

I cannot wait to travel for this band again and to meet so many more of the fantastic people that gather together to watch Trent Reznor yell about being honey onstage for a while.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 08-03-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I'd never met anybody from this board before, and getting to meet Sarah, @somewhat_, @magnolia, @RJK, @halo33 (whose Year Zero remixes played a big part in my development as a fan for this band) and so many others was incredible. Every single person was unique, funny, interesting and lovely and I can never get over how amazing it is that a band so full of darkness, loneliness and detachment can lead to so much human connection, friendliness and energy.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I am beyond flattered that my remixes mean something to you. As I mentioned to you at the show, Trent allowing us that opportunity to play with his music in that way gave me the confidence to become a songwriter and composer. The fact that it resonated with anyone at all is something that will always mean the world to me. I'm glad you had a great time and popped your rail cherry.

After 77 shows over 22 years, I can easily say, that going to the shows isn't just about seeing NIN. It's about seeing and hanging out with all the friends we've made along the way. It's a cheesy Grateful Dead sorta thing we got going on, and I cherish it.

You are my family. #nin-laws

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @halo33 can't wait to see you at another show sometime. The Robin water baptism you gave me is always going to be one of my peak NIN live memories from now on, haha.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    My memory is a lil hazy, and maybe @RJK can confirm, but I think I caught another Robin bottle at Webster too.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo33 View Post
    My memory is a lil hazy, and maybe @RJK can confirm, but I think I caught another Robin bottle at Webster too.
    You most definitely did!