Thread: Random Tech Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Can you offer up the best value LED? Something around $700.00. It seems everything I bring up in that range is LED-LCD and/or a Samsung with their new "flashlight" and panel problems. Annoying shopping.

Edit: I decided on one. We'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by Amaro; 11-28-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    Can you offer up the best value LED? Something around $700.00. It seems everything I bring up in that range is LED-LCD and/or a Samsung with their new "flashlight" and panel problems. Annoying shopping.

Even though you said you decided on one, I want to say that last I checked, there were three different styles of LED. One is edge-lit, which is essentially the same type of backlighting as a normal LCD TV in that the screen is either backlit, or it isn't. The next level has like 9 sections of LEDs behind the LCD screen and each section can turn on and off independently of each other. This allows for better contrast than a universal backlight. The last is broken down into even smaller sections of LEDs. I forget the exact rows and columns, but this one is the most expensive.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post

Which one did you end up going with? I'm going to be buying a new TV right after xmas. I was looking at the new Samsung LED models, but also read about the flashlight issues, which is the only thing that's really holding me back from picking that model.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by callahan View Post
    which one did you end up going with? I'm going to be buying a new tv right after xmas. I was looking at the new samsung led models, but also read about the flashlight issues, which is the only thing that's really holding me back from picking that model.
    Sorry I'm late. / Thanks Goldfoot and MAD for more intel.

LG 42lw5300

Pretty great value *slim* LED/LCD, with 3D and a 3D Blu-ray player, and though there seems to be some debate on whether gaming is a good match with this model, I don't think I've seen anything off about it. Then again I need to play more. There are some measures with the input selection and Tru Motion setting that apparently resolve the supposed issue.

Other than that, it'll be great once I get a sound system for it. That's a definite need with this model, in my opinion.

Last edited by Amaro; 01-02-2012 at 11:52 AM.