Thread: Random Celebrity Headlines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Let me say first that Scarlet Johansson has done some other things that have rubbed me the wrong way. She still wears clothes designed by Harvey Weinstein 's wife. She publicly defends Woody Allen. And her response to this controversy wasn't very fucking endearing. So I think she knows EXACTLY what she's doing and doesn't care. At first I thought the backlash was a bit much, but upon looking into it, it is deserved.

Ok here is my question: would it be better if a cis man played the role? I know it wouldn't be as good as an actual transgender person, but would it be a little more acceptable?

Please understand that this isn't a rhetorical question and I'm not trying to make some clever point.

I'm trying to educate myself.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Let me say first that Scarlet Johansson has done some other things that have rubbed me the wrong way. She still wears clothes designed by Harvey Weinstein 's wife. She publicly defends Woody Allen. And her response to this controversy wasn't very fucking endearing. So I think she knows EXACTLY what she's doing and doesn't care. At first I thought the backlash was a bit much, but upon looking into it, it is deserved.

Ok here is my question: would it be better if a cis man played the role? I know it wouldn't be as good as an actual transgender person, but would it be a little more acceptable?

Please understand that this isn't a rhetorical question and I'm not trying to make some clever point.

There is a growing pool of Trans actors and actresses who would be perfect for this role. ScarJo being snippy that people are coming after her for taking this role is classic Becky behavior. No cis people at all - hire Trans performers.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    I feel we shouldn't apologize for asking questions. It's not some educate yourself, fool, everyone knows this topic.

Btw, Meryl Streep gave a standing ovation to Roman Polanski and some people are still starstruck with her. At the very least Scarlett can just simply dig those clothes, which is far less worse, than clapping a rapist.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I feel we shouldn't apologize for asking questions. It's not some educate yourself, fool, everyone knows this topic.
    Yeah, but I just wanted to make clear that it WAS an actual question. And I didn't apologize.

Dude there's nothing wrong with asking people who feel personally affected by an issue about their thoughts on said issue. I think it's a good thing.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-09-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Yeah, but I just wanted to make clear that it WAS an actual question. And I didn't apologize.

Dude there's nothing wrong with asking people who feel personally affected by an issue about their thoughts on said issue. I think it's a good thing.
    Yeah. I don't agree with their reasoning, but I got my answers, so at least I am aware now.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post

Btw, Meryl Streep gave a standing ovation to Roman Polanski and some people are still starstruck with her. At the very least Scarlett can just simply dig those clothes, which is far less worse, than clapping a rapist.
    Oh, so we should give her a pass on causing harm to a marginalized community becase it's not as bad as rape? Wat.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Oh, so we should give her a pass on causing harm to a marginalized community becase it's not as bad as rape? Wat.
    Never said that. Merely grabbed the opportunity to shed some light on a hypocrisy. It's not either or.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes, if they insisted on casting a cis actor for the role, it should be a cis man as the character is a man. I'm not saying "they need to cast a trans actor for every trans role ever forever the end" because I know that's just not going to happen right now. If they are going to cast a cis actor, at least cast a fucking man to play the role of a man.