10 ghosts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Our top 5 is extremely similar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    How I feel after binge-ing NIN all month in excitement around Bad Witch

The Fragile
    The Downward Spiral
    The Trilogy (which I would rank in the order of BW > NtAE > AV)

---------

Year Zero
    Hesitation Marks

---------

Pretty Hate Machine
    The Slip
    Broken
    Ghosts
    With Teeth

The albums may shuffle within their tiers, but I don't foresee anything switching tiers.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    When you guys do this are you thinking "of all time,' or are these your favorites to listen to?

Like TDS is incredible but I've heard it SO many times in the past 24 years that I'm probably not gonna be putting it on any time soon.

For me, as far as NIN that I actively listen to, it's currently

1. Bad Witch
    2. NTAE
    3. AV
    4. The Slip
    5. Broken
    6. Fixed

And that's it, lately.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    When you guys do this are you thinking "of all time,' or are these your favorites to listen to?

Like TDS is incredible but I've heard it SO many times in the past 24 years that I'm probably not gonna be putting it on any time soon.

For me, as far as NIN that I actively listen to, it's currently

1. Bad Witch
    2. NTAE
    3. AV
    4. The Slip
    5. Broken
    6. Fixed

And that's it, lately.

Honestly, this, I haven't heard The Downard Spiral in a while since I listened to it so much.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Based on my consistent listening of Bad Witch for about a week now, I'm pretty confident in my current ranking of my favorite Nine Inch Nails albums.

1. The Fragile
    2. The Downward Spiral
    3. With Teeth
    4. Pretty Hate Machine
    5. Bad Witch
    6. Broken
    7. Ghosts I-IV
    8. Hesitation Marks
    9. Not the Actual Events
    10. The Slip
    11. Add Violence
    12. Year Zero

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    In some ways, it's a little bit of both for me, but I still just lean a little bit more towards the former whenever it comes to album rankings.

For instance, Pretty Hate Machine to With Teeth are often on the higher parts of the rankings for me, since as I've mentioned several times before, they have a special place in my heart so to speak, even if just for sentimental and nostalgic reasons alone and just being overall favorites. I'm also positive that it's because those albums were my introduction to Nine Inch Nails anyway, and With Teeth being the first NIN album I actually had to wait for, since I was just a fan since 2002.

However, there have been times where I would also listen to the newer works more, but that also still depends on my overall mood and preference at the time being.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 07-04-2018 at 09:10 AM. Reason: I actually meant to say the former as in "Of all time.", which also means Pretty Hate Machine to With Teeth all the way.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    1. the fragile
    2. ghosts i-iv
    3. bad witch
    4. the downward spiral
    5. not the actual events / add violence
    6. still
    7. pretty hate machine
    8. broken
    9. with teeth
    10. the slip
    -
    - severe drop in enjoyment
    -
    11. year zero (i love several songs on here, but their live versions are more compelling, and i still maintain that capital G is the worst song trent has ever written)
    12. hesitation marks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    As of this precise moment...

1. The Fragile
    2. The Downward Spiral
    3. Year Zero
    4. Bad Witch
    5. Not The Actual Events
    6. Add Violence
    7. Pretty Hate Machine
    8. Hesitation Marks
    9. With Teeth
    10. Broken
    11. Ghosts I-IV
    12. The Slip

That said, I love every single one of these releases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darksiren82 View Post
    1. The Fragile
    2. Pretty Hate Machine
    3. Broken
    4. Year Zero
    5. With Teeth
    6. Hesitation Marks (can't help it - 30 something, married me loves this album)
    7. The Slip
    8. The Downward Spiral
    9. Ghosts I-IV/And All That Could Have Been (Still)

1. The Fragile
    2. Year Zero (listened to it heavily in the rise and age of MAGA)
    3. With Teeth
    4. Broken
    5. Pretty Hate Machine
    6. Hesitation Marks (30-something married me drove around belting "I Would For You" or "Various Methods of Escape" on any given day)
    7. The Slip
    8. Bad Witch (renewed, free-spirited me digs this vibe hard)
    9. Ghosts I-IV/And All That Could Have Been (Still)
    10. Not The Actual Events (still growing on me)
    11. The Downward Spiral
    12. Add Violence

What a difference 4 years makes.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    the fragile
    still
    ghosts I-IV
    the downward spiral
    bad witch
    pretty hate machine
    broken
    year zero
    not the actual events
    with teeth
    hesitation marks
    add violence
    the slip

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm usually thinking in terms of all-time favorites. Obviously newer releases will shift around as the years go on, but most of my list stays pretty consistent. If I was going by what I listen to, it would probably look like this right now:

1. Bad Witch
    2. Add Violence/Not The Actual Events
    3. The Downward Spiral
    4. The Fragile
    5. Hesitation Marks
    6. Year Zero
    7. Ghosts I-IV
    8. With Teeth
    9. The Slip
    10. Pretty Hate Machine

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I've listened to Not The Actual Events so many times I need to take a pill so I forget all of it and it can be fresh again.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    1 - The Fragile
    2 - The Downward Spiral
    3 - NTAE/AV/BW
    4 - Broken
    5 - Year Zero
    6 - With Teeth
    7 - Pretty Hate Machine
    8 - Hesitation Marks
    9 - The Slip
    10 - Ghosts I-IV

Be more interested in how Trent would rank his own shit, would be interesting!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    1. The Fragile
    2. With Teeth
    3. The Downward Spiral
    4. Year Zero
    5. Add Violence
    6. Not The Actual Events
    7. The Slip
    8. Hesitation Marks
    9. Ghosts 1-4
    10. Broken
    11. Bad Witch
    12. Pretty Hate Machine

If I would count the "Trilogy" together, they would sit in 4th place, or maybe 3rd place, or even 2nd place.... I don't know. I can't really listen to anything else at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1 - The Fragile
    2 - The Downward Spiral
    3 - With Teeth
    4 - Year Zero
    5 - Hesitation Marks
    6 - Pretty Hate Machine
    7 - The Slip
    8 - Broken
    9 - Ghosts I-IV
    10 - NTAE/AV/BW

It would be great to be able to recall how I felt about these albums when I first heard them. This is pretty much I feel about them right now. I am guessing TDS had the greatest impact on me at the time, but The Fragile is just so beautiful. It really is a close tie at spot 1.

I am a bit surprised that With Teeth is ranked so low by so many people. I love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1. The Fragile

2. The Downward Spiral

3. Year Zero

4. The slip

5. Add Violence

6. Broken

7. Pretty hate machine

8. With teeth

9. Not The Actual Events

10. Bad witch

11. Hesitation Marks

12. Ghosts 1-4

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    1. TF
    2. TDS
    3. YZ
    4. BW
    5. TS
    6. B
    7. HM
    8. AV
    9. PHM
    10. NTAE
    11. G1-4
    12. WT

Notes: BW is still so new I'm uncertain of its position...but I think it might actually sit higher on my list if it were longer. HM also would be higher if I didn't find "Everything" to be such a flow-breaking track. Slots 5 thru 10 are also clustered closely together, and I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow I ordered them slightly differently, and differently again the day after that, etc. With Teeth remains the only NIN album that I've never been able to warm to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Side question: Are there any fans who really love WT who were fans before WT was released? Everybody I've seen who loves WT usually also mentions that it was their first NIN experience. I'm interested to know if there's fans who started listening to NIN in the 80s or 90s who were super happy with WT and still love it today?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    @slopesandsam Yes. Right here.
    Last edited by Swykk; 06-29-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slopesandsam View Post
    Side question: Are there any fans who really love WT who were fans before WT was released? Everybody I've seen who loves WT usually also mentions that it was their first NIN experience. I'm interested to know if there's fans who started listening to NIN in the 80s or 90s who were super happy with WT and still love it today?
    I've been a fan since the beginning but I was way young then; I was 7 when I saw the "Down In It" and "Head Like A Hole" videos on JBTV in Chicago. My first NIN live shows were WT era so that plays into my nostalgia when I hear those songs. Grohl-heavy, straight-forward rock bookended by electro-gospel "All the Love in the World" and timeless BYIT/RWIB...hasn't left my top 5 since its release.
    Last edited by darksiren82; 07-01-2018 at 03:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Listening to NIN since 1991. I was really amazed when WT was realesead after all these years. But it couldn't hold the level of TDS and TF. So it was kind of disappointing. I don't listen to it anymore. YZ had it's own tension which I still like.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I got into the band around 2001 and became obsessed with them when And All That Could Have Been was coming out so I remember going crazy for any updates on a new album. Following NIN news from like 2003 -2004 was kind of limited to interviews with Trent Reznor about Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" and then all of the strange nin.com updates that were happening that lead into all of the BleedThrough discussion. I was a junior in high school when With Teeth was about to be released and the summer of 2005 was a HUGE pivotal moment for me so With Teeth not only stands as being the soundtrack for a monumental year for me ... but it was also the first new major Nine Inch Nails release that I was able to be a part of the build up for. I get people's criticism of it, but Trent's voice sounded great and it still felt NIN to me.

Like many have said, it was the WT era that I was finally able to experience the band live for the first time so everything about it has this tremendous amount of nostalgia for me. On top of it, I still think With Teeth has incredibly crafted songs on it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    1. The Fragile
    2. The Downward Spiral
    3. Pretty Hate Machine
    4. NTAE/AV/BW
    5. Year Zero
    6. Ghosts I-IV
    7. Hesitation Marks
    8. With Teeth
    9. Broken
    10. The Slip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have been a fan since Pretty Hate Machine... yes I am old.

I love With Teeth... I actually like it more now than I did when it first came out.

Getting Smaller is a great song to "walk hard" to. Got me out of a couple really nasty neighborhoods. It is quintessential "throw a m**** f**** on the ground" music. A lot like Big Man with a Gun.
    Last edited by Oceanic Voyager; 07-01-2018 at 11:57 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    01 The Downward Spiral
    02 With Teeth
    03 Broken
    04 The Fragile
    05 Not The Actual Events
    06 Bad Witch
    07 Pretty Hate Machine
    08 Add Violence
    09 Ghosts
    10 The Slip
    11 Year Zero
    12 Hesitation Marks

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I discovered NIN with Broken. I did know of Pretty Hate Machine, mostly its singles on MTV, but I was only 5 at the time. Knowing those tracks made me seek out Broken on its release and was my first real full on NIN experience from front to back. Then I went back and heard Pretty Hate Machine. I was hooked. Of course, The Downward Spiral was a huge deal for me. It took what Trent started on Broken to the next level and showed how electronically made music can still sound organic, emotional, and brutal.

I ain't really a single person. I want an album that I can listen to from front to back. I love albums. If an artist only has a decent song or two on their album, most likely I won't listen to that artist anywhere near as much as the one who can deliver a proper album. The 90s will always be what I consider THE decade for music, but I am still always searching for something new. Sure, I have my favorites like anyone else, but I also love to search and discover new music. As a musician/producer myself, I feel like I'm doing something wrong if I'm not keeping my ears to the ground for what's out there now.

On that note, I absolutely love With Teeth, as you will see by my top NIN list right above. I was a fan from the first moment I put it on. The Fragile was an album that I grew to love over time, but With Teeth was pretty instant for me like it was with Broken and The Downward Spiral. I finally got that same instant love feeling again with Not The Actual Events. I remember the moment I first put on With Teeth and hearing All The Love In The World and I couldn't help but smile. That's when I know an album has me. I just can't help but feel the joy of "I love this!" I can throw With Teeth on and enjoy it from start to finish. The With Teeth tour was also the first time I've seen NIN live. Saw them a few times in NY around that album era, including Madison Square Garden with Queens Of The Stone Age and Death From Above 1979.
    Last edited by neorev; 07-02-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Sweet story @neorev, thanks for that.

So, as someone who discovered NIN thanks to David Lynch, relatively recently then, here's my list on a purely emotional level, without any other consideration (because making a list makes no sense anyway) :

1. The Fragile + Still
    2. The Trilogy
    3. Year Zero
    4. The Downward Spiral
    5. The Slip
    6. Broken
    7. Hesitation Marks
    8. With Teeth
    9. Pretty Hate Machine
    10. Ghosts I-IV