Thread: Welcome Oblivion: In the aftermath of Year Zero?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Perhaps the live shows will shed some light on any connections. Today in their AMA they mentioned a few odd things, including the fact that they don't currently and might never have more dates booked beyond the 10 or so that they've got now. They also mentioned that they'd been working on the love show for over a year, and that they're once again working in conjunction with the team that they realized the LITS stage show with. And then there's this, from Rob:

Also, regarding the comparison to NIN's Lights in the Sky: The HTDA show will be a very visual experience, and all of the creative team from Lights in the Sky is working on this. BUT, please do not go in expecting Lights in the Sky, because this is a very very different presentation from NIN. This is going to be more of a statement, more of an audio/visual installation than a rock concert. Probably a lot of people aren't going to "get" it, but hopefully they'll walk away saying "I'm not sure what the hell I just watched, but it was pretty cool."

That last line, coupled with the lack of any future shows makes me think this is going to be much more than just music plus visuals, and perhaps something much more theatrical in nature. That in turn makes me think about the one-off ARG show that NIN did where they threw everybody in a bus and surprised them with a show at a secret location, only to stage a fake police/military raid.

Trent has been a very iteritive artist throughout his career. Just look at how Fragility evolved into LITS. Perhaps the YZ ideas have simply been in gestation until the time is right. And maybe this all has something to do with why HTDA signed to a major. Maybe they needed the financial backing and resources of a major to pull off whatever this (maybe) is going towards.

or maybe not

NOTE: I've also tried to dig up that band reference in YZ that I mentioned, but this far I haven't had any luck. I'm positive that it's out there though.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LexTron6K View Post
    Perhaps the live shows will shed some light on any connections. Today in their AMA they mentioned a few odd things, including the fact that they don't currently and might never have more dates booked beyond the 10 or so that they've got now. They also mentioned that they'd been working on the love show for over a year, and that they're once again working in conjunction with the team that they realized the LITS stage show with. And then there's this, from Rob:

Also, regarding the comparison to NIN's Lights in the Sky: The HTDA show will be a very visual experience, and all of the creative team from Lights in the Sky is working on this. BUT, please do not go in expecting Lights in the Sky, because this is a very very different presentation from NIN. This is going to be more of a statement, more of an audio/visual installation than a rock concert. Probably a lot of people aren't going to "get" it, but hopefully they'll walk away saying "I'm not sure what the hell I just watched, but it was pretty cool."

That last line, coupled with the lack of any future shows makes me think this is going to be much more than just music plus visuals, and perhaps something much more theatrical in nature. That in turn makes me think about the one-off ARG show that NIN did where they threw everybody in a bus and surprised them with a show at a secret location, only to stage a fake police/military raid.

Trent has been a very iteritive artist throughout his career. Just look at how Fragility evolved into LITS. Perhaps the YZ ideas have simply been in gestation until the time is right. And maybe this all has something to do with why HTDA signed to a major. Maybe they needed the financial backing and resources of a major to pull off whatever this (maybe) is going towards.

or maybe not

NOTE: I've also tried to dig up that band reference in YZ that I mentioned, but this far I haven't had any luck. I'm positive that it's out there though.
    $50 it's just flickering, static-y images of a TV screen. Like the artwork.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rob Sheridan just gave me a pretty great response re: the Terminator arm.

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/sta...10775996358656

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/sta...11202120871939

"It's more symbolic, really. The album's loose concept is about anxiety of information overload as humanity and technology converge"

"…and presenting technological singularity and post-humanism as both a terrifying and transformative moment for mankind and nature."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thepresence0 View Post
    "…and presenting technological singularity and post-humanism as both a terrifying and transformative moment for mankind and nature."
    he expounded on that on today's Reddit AMA:

[Rob] "The visual direction of this album came about first from the concept of the record. Trying to express the anxiety of information overload, the end of mankind as both terrifying and transformative, apocalypse and evolution, etc."

Of course, that last bit harkens to the end of yz, yeah?
    Last edited by uroboros; 03-05-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uroboros View Post
    he expounded on that on today's Reddit AMA:

[Rob] "The visual direction of this album came about first from the concept of the record. Trying to express the anxiety of information overload, the end of mankind as both terrifying and transformative, apocalypse and evolution, etc."

Of course, that last bit harkens to the end of yz, yeah?
    I think it does harken back to YZ, conceptually. I'm quite jealous of anyone who is going to have a chance to go to the live show. Really hoping they come to Seattle, and if not... Hoping they release footage of one of the concerts. I have a feeling it's going to be something pretty special.