Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2018

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I'm Afraid of Americans used at the beginning title card/hospital action sequence of Black Lightning, of all shows. Show is VERY music-centric, but has focused almost exclusively on hip hop, r&b, funk, soul & jazz thus far (unsurprisingly).

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/black-ligh...6-e658c77b29e7
    In France, it's been used in a trailer for a documentary about Donald Trump. Didn't watch, can't be 10% as interesting as the one I saw recently about Cambridge Analytica.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    ^^
    I've never seen a rig rundown done so awkwardly. Is this girl an intern or something?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    ^^
    I've never seen a rig rundown done so awkwardly. Is this girl an intern or something?
    The interviewer has a little bio at the bottom of the page - she's not an intern, she's clearly a great big dork, and I say that in the best way possible. I was kind of astonished to see that this was 50 minutes long, and I honestly skipped a lot of the Robin stuff, but I think what we're seeing is someone geeking out, and it's very sweet. It's like if someone from ETS did this interview - brimming with excitement, but trying to play it cool and not lose their shit.

(Also, personal pet peeve: she's not 8 years old, so maybe refer to her as a woman and not a girl...)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I watched Robin's bit on 1.5x speed too, LOL. Great that they did this though! I wanna see guitars from TR and Ilan (as well as his bass and 'cello rigs), too.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I get the impression that Robin may just be a little difficult to interview, too- he seems to pick his words very carefully, and doesn't mind leaving silences while he lays 'em all out. Props to the interviewer for not trying to hop in to those silences, really. I'd noticed that on that video from awhile ago which was Robin talking about his guitar playing (I forget for what site/magazine/whatever). He's got his own pace. Quite enjoyable vid, regardless - I always like seeing their gear. Agreed that it'd be awesome to get peeks at everyone else's rigs too.

Edit: Ah yeah, this one: http://blog.ernieball.com/artists/to...string-theory/
    Last edited by xolotl; 11-07-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Yeah, Robin isn't really a big interview guy, and he's not very chatty. I don't know the first thing about music gear, so I clicked solely to listen to him talk because it is so rare, and also get some insight. Alessandro's was more informative, sure, but Robin's was more... Robin-like. Like pulling his tech in to talk too.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I'm not a guitar player so a lot of the technical stuff is foreign to me but I find it fascinating nonetheless. I'd love to hear them talk about the technicals and then demonstrate the sounds and notes...clearly pre-soundcheck isn't the time or place for that but I digress.

Great video.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I thought the part with Robin was awkward as well, but after watching the Alessandro part (which I was more interested in anyway), I think it was mainly due to Robin and that probably threw the interviewer off somewhat. The Alessandro part was cool, though I wish they would have looked at his synth stuff (I know, it's a guitar channel).

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Lol I love how Ale has a metal zone pedal. This pedal has been the shit talker for many years from guitar players ( if not dialed in right and used in front and not in effects loops, it can sound like total ass). I had to skip a lot of Robin since it was hard to just listen, but left it alone once they got to his axe fix rig.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Lol I love how Ale has a metal zone pedal. This pedal has been the shit talker for many years from guitar players ( if not dialed in right and used in front and not in effects loops, it can sound like total ass). I had to skip a lot of Robin since it was hard to just listen, but left it alone once they got to his axe fix rig.
    I'm familiar with the meme...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I enjoyed the Premiere Guitar vid! I put it on in the background mostly – kinda like a podcast. I'm no gearhead, but I still found it fascinating.

Like someone else said, it was nice simply because Robin doesn't do this kind of thing very often. For what it's worth, when I met him backstage at the NIN|JA tour, I was over-the-moon that I ended up at the same dinner table as him because my brother & I had business with JMJ, so I managed to ask what his favorite song to play was, and he almost very shy-ly said "I really like that 'Lights in the Sky' song." I can relate to that personality type. JMJ though? Chatty as fuck (and pretty much the nicest dude I've ever met).

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    How great is it to hear Alessandro geeking out over his bass rig, though? That rack-mounted tube pre-amp sounds like it'd be fantastic fun to play through. Always was nice to hear from JMJ in geeky bass forums talking about this stuff, too.

It's actually been awesome to hear how the arrangements for this last couple of years' touring worked out so well, after moving Ale and Ilan both to part-time bass duties after they first started trading off with it in 2014. And now, with Ross and Cortini also sharing electronics, it's very reminiscent of their work together on the HTDA tour, as well (it's no wonder that HTDA songs, both with and without Mariqueen's parts, have popped up on these last few NIN tours since 2013).
    Last edited by botley; 11-10-2018 at 02:07 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I liked how Robin part was 99% setlist spoiler-free (I think he only mentioned, like, 3 songs specifically? Hurt, TBCD and GBDTD?) And then Alessandro goes: yeah I only play this thing on one song which is Spoiler: The Perfect Drug
    Last edited by fillow; 11-09-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Hahah, though to be fair, I bet he's expecting that "if you made it this far down the rabbit hole into my world, you know exactly what songs I play guitar and bass on already"!

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Hahaha, I'm glad to see those last two reviews. Someone shared his reaction video to the RATM debut and it was just a delight to watch. I was a little suspicious when he was similarly into Pretty Hate Machine (in a different way). Does this guy like everything? Then I watched the TDS reaction video. I kind of want to tell him to come back with headphones when life's giving him a hard time.

Here's that RATM video:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I usually hate these reaction video things, but I really loved this. I love seeing people appreciate something that would normally be outside of their comfort zone, and comment on it so intelligently. We as humans have a bad habit of being narrow-minded and writing off anything we aren't used to as having little value. I'm also impressed that they understood the meaning immediately, which I've seen many people fail to grasp when it comes to this song.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i never watch videos like this but since it was posted here i watched and thought it was very interesting. As a christian and a nin fan i understand their points and appreciate their view of this song, but i hope they do dig a little deeper and find out the meaning behind the album so they dont think nin and trent are a spokesman for sexual depravity. Overall a very intelligent way to look at this song and i appreciate it as opposed to the typical reaction you get from your parents or whomever.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    We as humans have a bad habit of being narrow-minded and writing off anything we aren't used to as having little value.
    Like the guy in the previous few videos. No explanation as to why he didn't like it, just that it was "art trash".

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Strange to see NME touting NIN as one of the acts they'd like to see headlining festivals next year
    https://www.nme.com/festivals/19-art...s-2019-2374149

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Strange to see NME touting NIN as one of the acts they'd like to see headlining festivals next year
    When did Billy Corgan become Bruce Willis from Glass?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    There's a band called Lets Eat Grandma

Interesting they don't think NIN will do Glasto...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Aaron North is on IG! generic_prescriptions

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

NIN Spotting 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Aaron North is on IG! generic_prescriptions
    Is he doing ok these days?? That article from years ago was heartbreaking.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    There's a band called Lets Eat Grandma

Interesting they don't think NIN will do Glasto...
    I think they were just talking about outright headlining the whole thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post

I'm sorry but this guy sucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Is he doing ok these days?? That article from years ago was heartbreaking.
    He seems to be doing fine. According to his IG he's doing standup comedy (although is only material is Facebook stuff according to him). He also has a pet bird named 'Pigeon'. the latest photo of him, you could tell he's aged a little bit but still has that black long hair. He replies to a lot of comments on his page. He also has a picture with him in the Icarus Line and one photo of him in NIN talking about his Romanian army boots he wore during tour.