Page 86 of 131 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 3921

Thread: Shitty Music. (The Nickelback Thread)

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    It's a nice vocal that fits with the flow of the song. Is it "Stairway"? No. But I like it.
    I mean, nominating a song that's not on the "holy 2" records from LP is quite brave. The biggest flaw of HT and Meteora is their popularity. In The End for example is pretty much a lving meme at this point, because it was such a disgusting hit back then, that people resent it now.

Numb and Breaking The Habit are much better imo than The Little Things Give You Away, and I would give credit to songs like One Step Closer and Faint for being heavy commercial hits. None of the latter two are rocket-science, but they are nu metal done not right, but the best.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    You Yanks dont understand how great Jackson Pollock was.....you are ungrateful....
    SEE ALSO JANET SOBEL.

See also DRIP PAINTING.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    what does that mean? i googled, got some stuff about stocks.
    Sorry, meant the lmq...gb...t??? I think that's it, though I have no idea what the m stands for. lesbian, gay, queer, bisexual, transsexual, I know these. Should've just said she is a liberal fighter

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It's a nice vocal that fits with the flow of the song. Is it "Stairway"? No. But I like it.
    I fucking HATE Stairway to Heaven.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I fucking HATE Stairway to Heaven.
    I hate AC/DC.
    I don't think Pink Floyd is THAT good.
    I never liked Prince('s music).
    Queen is alright.
    No Doubt > Gwen Stefani
    Pink used to make good music.
    Led Zeppelin, ZZ top and other old-school rock bands are fucking boring and I am not amused by 2-3-4-5 neck guitars.
    I fucking hate the cult around Bob Marley.
    Dre's new record was garbage.

cassh me ousside

edit: oh, and Nickelback is not THAT bad. how bout dat?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I hate Stairway to Heaven not because it isn't good; I hate it because I've been hearing it too much for 45 fucking years.

And I STILL don't know what the fuck it's about.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    THIS isn't even as annoying at this point as Stairway:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Blasphemy. "Stairway" is one song that can never be overplayed. "Smoke on the Water," "Paranoid," "Iron Man," yes, but "Stairway," no.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Blasphemy. "Stairway" is one song that can never be overplayed. "Smoke on the Water," "Paranoid," "Iron Man," yes, but "Stairway," no.
    You didn't grow up in the 70s when it was played on the radio all the fucking time. My best friend created a giant HS art project with that hooded figure (The Hermit) and all the lyrics carefully etched out in fucking calligraphy.

edit: like this except much longer in length containing ALL the lyrics:

Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2017 at 09:28 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    You didn't grow up in the 70s when it was played on the radio all the fucking time. My best friend created a giant HS art project with that hooded figure (The Hermit) and all the lyrics carefully etched out in fucking calligraphy.
    And I am jelly. Project sounds awesome.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Musical taste is subjective
    No shit? In my subjective opinion, Linkin Park is bullshit.

not sure what you are on about.
    No shit?

I also consider NIN to be my favorite "band"
    Whoopty fucking do...

so you have to reach big if you want to twist it around, trying to prove I have an objectively bad taste when I love the same shit as you do as well.
    Not really... Practically everyone likes The Beatles. That doesn't mean I think practically everyone has good taste. Also, objectively? Where did I say that?

And why would my birthday not matter?
    Because it doesn't?

Teenage years are pretty influential for every individual, so the place and circumstances you get to experience it shapes you greatly. I remember, I was around 17 when my doc (had a sore throat or something) randomly told me to enjoy myself because.... blaaaaaaaaah blah blah blah blah blah
    fascinating

blah blah blah blah... blah blah blah... blah... So yes, age does not matter.
    Yes! You are correct! It doesn't matter because your nostalgic fondness for something doesn't mean it's good... it means kids like dumb crap.

And no, you can't ignore Linkin Park if you are discussing early 2000 music, because you can't ignore nu-metal.
    Yes, I can. I do it all the time.
    Maybe if we're talking about early 2000 music in the Shitty Music thread, then yeah, it's hard to ignore that elephant in the room... but if I was having a conversation about good music, I don't see the need to take time out of that discussion to say "oh, and by the way, Nu Metal sucked."

This is like saying that a conversation about cinema in the year 2014 needs to talk about Transformers: Age of Extinction.

Wow bud, which one do you hate more? Dry statistics or undeniable mainstream domination? You might've forgotten or chose to ignore the latter, so let's summon the numbers, shall we? Do you want to know the three most successful bands/performers from 2000-2004 excluding The Beatles? Of course you don't, because they were Eminem, Linkin Park and Avril Lavigne. Britney Spears.
    Success doesn't imply anything valuable about the product as an artistic work. See the point above about Transformers: Age of Extinction if you're still not getting this...

Linkin Park is the only metal band who sold at least 10 million copies of a record in the 2000s. Linkin Park is the only metal band for 17 years now, who managed to sell more copies in a given year than anyone else in the world. Linkin Park is the most commercially successful metal band of the 2000s, and they did the whole feat within 4 years.
    That song from the Frozen soundtrack outsold everything else in the year it was released. Does that mean it has to figure its way into every conversation about music from that year? This is a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it for you anyway. No, it does not mean that.

Damn dude, did you get consumed by alternative facts or what happened? You had a cryofreeze? Even the latter is not an excuse, because there are plenty of ways to educate yourself on what went down in early 2000 if you somehow missed it, let alone be so confident in claiming such bullshit.
    If every conversation about anything needs to be footnoted by commercial success, then we'll be too busy talking about stupid shit to even get to the point of the conversation. Other good music came out the same year as Linkin fucking Park's debut album, and I'd rather talk about that. I'm allowed to have a conversation about music in the year 2000 without talking about the stupid shit that was marketed to kids. But here we are in the Shitty Music thread, so I'm talking about Linkin fucking Park.

Well, if you are 40 then I guess listening to a cassette is about as interesting as traveling by a car, but compared to where the technology now, cassettes and VHSs seem like dinosaur stuff. And it's pretty funny imo to think about such a hip band as LP being on a cassette.
    I just turned 37, but I remember when the CD was an exciting new format.

Also, listening to Linkin Park is about as "hip" as giving your mom an erotic foot massage.

And not being a fan does not mean I can't be over the moon for some of their work. I consider myself a NIN fan, because I am still enjoying everything they put out
    Almost every artist I am a fan of (NIN included) has put out stuff that I think is pretty underwhelming. There's really only a handful of musicians where I can say that I like everything they've done... maybe Autechre. I'm a fan of Francis Ford Coppola, but that movie he made where Robin Williams ages at an alarming rate sucked.

I like the fact that you are so blatantly and factually wrong

Except I'm not.

given your arrogance in other areas of life, but I won't jump on the easy (and cheap) opportunity to try to make a connection, because your basic incomprehension about music does not say anything else about you, and I can only hope that when you are as adamant about spreading your views on other topics, you actually know what you are talking about, unlike here.
    Where... WHERE did I say "Linkin Park did not sell a shit ton of records?" A ton of people saw Gladiator. It won a bunch of awards, including best picture at the Oscars. It's still a bad movie, and I can talk about that year in cinema without mentioning it.

You are not entirely wrong about one thing though, which is the quality of the first two Linkin Park records. That is a subjective question, which can not really be debunked by facts so to that one I have to agree to disagree with. It's definitely an interesting topic, but I think discussing it with someone who thinks Linkin Park was not influential in the music industry in the early 2000s would be like discussing racism with a KKK member - the whole premise is doomed. So let's just agree you think that they are overhyped shit, while I think they are nearly perfect, in their genre especially.
    I've worked in the music industry. I truly do not think you have the slightest clue how long of a conversation I could have about the music industry in that year without even bringing up Nu Metal.

Being influential doesn't denote value. Scientology is influential.

Now, you can pick one of the following:
    - Say that you were just trolling and I got Jebaited, and I just typed out stuff you knew already, so jokes on me. You got me, bud!
    - Say that sale records are manipulated by the Illuminati, you never even heard a nu-metal song (let alone a Linkin Park one) in the early 2000s and that your beloved garage band who made a breakthrough performance in front of 136 attendants in your local bar was more influential and prominent in the early 2000s than this Linkin Park I keep mentioning.
    - Given the length of my post and me being prone to phrase certain sentences, not ideally since my brain tends to fuck me over when it comes to English, just grab one or two sentences or words out of context and twist them around so you can sound smart or even right.
    - Resort to the classic "wow, you are so wrong and I am so right that I won't even try to argue your points, because I am right". If someone could win the freakin' presidential election with this same tactic, then I am sure a mere argument on an online board is easy-peasy for this method.
    - Surprise me!
    How about I just ask what the fuck "Jebaited" means instead, since I've already dealt with all of your other options.

In any case, my somewhat qualified advice to you
    Oooooooooh, qualifications?

is to leave your presumptions and judgements at the door. You made an ass out of yourself just because you don't like me for not seeing eye to in an entirely different topic
    No, I laughed at the idea that you think the first two Linkin fucking Park albums are "perfection." I also said it wasn't surprising that you feel that way.
    By all means, go fucking nuts and write another essay where the point is constantly sailing over your head.
    For someone campaigning against a short-minded, hateful individual who holds grudges worse than a little child, you sure show your peers how a normal, adult human being should behave!

Yes, I think most normal adults don't listen to music that is aimed at kids who are furious that mom made them do their homework before playtime.

Maybe when you reach the depths of trying to make assumptions based on me (or anyone else, for that matter) liking two of the most famous records in the early 2000s, you should sprinkle some water onto your face. We have such liberal and accepting threads on this board where gay and transgender people can gather and discuss stuff, and I am being bashed out of spite for liking a certain kind of music?! ayyyyyyy
    Are you saying that transgender rights need to be protected and respected on a similar level to the feelings of Linkin fucking Park fans in a thread called "Shitty Music?" GTFO

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Haha, that's pretty funny. Funny how you wrote about not being ten years old--to me, that's kind of the appeal. Now and then I can take a trip down memory lane and forget about my adult problems and enjoy the cheesy shit of my youth.
    When I said "I stopped being ten years old" I meant it in a literal sense. I was ten when I was given that record.

I get nostalgia. I get nostalgic when I hear the theme song for The Neverending Story.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    How about I just ask what the fuck "Jebaited" means
    I think it's Jinsai + Debated

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    And I am jelly. Project sounds awesome.
    Thanks. But when I listen to Led Zeppelin IV, I skip Stairway. And we named our fucking boat "ZoSo," so it isn't like I'm not a crazed Zeppelin fan for most of my life. But, just not that song.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    When I said "I stopped being ten years old" I meant it in a literal sense. I was ten when I was given that record.

I get nostalgia. I get nostalgic when I hear the theme song for The Neverending Story.
    It is a good song/movie.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's not great music, but it represents a period in time. I loved watching "Brent Michaels' Rock of Love" (we were ADDICTED to that show, like a bad train wreck) not because I loved Poison but, hey, it's fucking BRENT MICHAELS. Like, have you ever read Motley Crue's "The Dirt?" I swear, that's one of the BEST FUCKING BOOKS I EVER READ. "Fucking" being literal. Like, the story of Tommy and Nikki in a limo and Tommy is banging a girl from the back end while she's blowing Nikki. Now, really, who DOES that, anymore? Who SHARES a girlfriend with bandmates in a hot tub? It's harkening to a day gone by, like Def Leppard on Behind the Music. It was shitty music by a classical or definitive sense but it sure as hell was FUN(NY). Especially if you didn't PARTICIPATE in the debauchery but watched it like a crazy deviant rock circus.

Like THIS!!

Bret. Bret Michaels.

I came away from The Dirt with a begrudging respect for how honest they were about everything. At points throughout the book I either hated them or sympathized with them (with the exception of Mick Mars, who I just feel sorry for). Tommy Lee's thing on "Silence=Death" has surprisingly stuck with me, Nikki Sixx's family story was heartbreaking, as was Vince Neil losing his daughter. The stinger about that last one is that he's likely never realized that loss could have been karma for getting away scot-free with his drunk-driving incident, because he's still a raging alkie.

I'm quite sure this stuff still happens (to rock bands, regular people have those kinds of threesomes too I know for a fact), but on a much smaller and perhaps desperate scale. In the 2nd Winwood/Brannigan Metallica book they wrote about the backstage scene at the tour they did with Guns 'n Roses, and apparently it reeked of desperate groupies.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I've read some of The Dirt... I've been planning on picking it back up and going through it. Fascinating stuff.

It's even weirder given that I've met both Nikki Sixx and Tommy Lee. Those details really... color it. Really nice people. You'd never expect that they spit roasted groupies together and shot jack daniels into their veins when they ran out of heroin.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Motley Crue were one of the better cock-rock bands. They weren't Sabbath, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, GN'R or Van Halen, but they had some solid songs.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Bret. Bret Michaels.
    hahhaahahaa I KNEW THAT but I was eating dinner LOL

I think the memory of his wig on that show threw me.

Anyway, I totally agree re The Dirt.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I've read some of The Dirt... I've been planning on picking it back up and going through it. Fascinating stuff.

It's even weirder given that I've met both Nikki Sixx and Tommy Lee. Those details really... color it. Really nice people. You'd never expect that they spit roasted groupies together and shot jack daniels into their veins when they ran out of heroin.
    Tommy: "Why are we doing this? WE COULD JUST DRINK IT!"

I really love Nikki's stories in the book the best.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2017 at 10:00 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Motley Crue were one of the better cock-rock bands. They weren't Sabbath, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, GN'R or Van Halen, but they had some solid songs.
    Great band musically, just an awful singer. This has nothing to do with what I said in the previous post (drunk driving is a seriously sore subject with me), but Vince Neil has perhaps one of the most grating voices in a rock band I've ever heard.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    RE: Brett Michaels. He gets a lot of shit, but he seems like he is a nice guy, is a good frontman/entertainer and has sang on some good tunes. Listen to "Ride the Wind" without your foot tapping.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    wasn't that song "Dude Looks Like a Lady" by Aerosmith actually about a time that Steven Tyler tried to hit on Brett Michaels in a bar before realizing that he was actually a guy?

Somehow, that would make that song even worse...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Great band musically, just an awful singer. This has nothing to do with what I said in the previous post (drunk driving is a seriously sore subject with me), but Vince Neil has perhaps one of the most grating voices in a rock band I've ever heard.
    They released one album without him, with John Corabi on vocals. It flopped, but has always had a following.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    RE: Brett Michaels. He gets a lot of shit, but he see
    This is like their Stairway or November Rain, LOL

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    plus, he is a total DICK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Haha there was a good 5 years or so when I really liked Poison. I since realized it was a confusing 5 years.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient View Post
    Haha there was a good 5 years or so when I really liked Poison. I since realized it was a confusing 5 years.
    Well, poison can induce confusion...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Fuck. I'd take Poison over Wilko. At least they can write a hook.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Sorry, meant the lmq...gb...t??? I think that's it, though I have no idea what the m stands for. lesbian, gay, queer, bisexual, transsexual, I know these. Should've just said she is a liberal fighter
    lgbt to lgbtqia2, it's evolving. and it's not a "liberal fight". it's common decency, but this is the wrong thread and i digress.

i will say i admire the diversity in your playlist(s). and in all fairness, i've tapped my middle-aged toes to "bleed it out" a time or two.