Page 88 of 123 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,640 of 3664

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    It's like people never do their groceries. See where 12$ gets you.
    Four containers of free-range chicken broth! Awesome!

(I assume it's the chickens that were free-range, not the broth itself.)

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    so okay.
    now that i've listened to this record over and over, i would like to posit that it is about the like Jungian shadow.
    It's about confronting the shadow self and merging with it and coming out the other side stronger.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So I pretty much listen to the EP at least once a day, and I've noticed that it feels like it goes by so much faster than the first time I listened to it. I remember the first time it felt long and uncomfortable, and now it's a treat to listen to it, after every listen I want to start again and go through it. Probably my favorite flow of songs in a NIN album/EP.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    This has nothing to He already got on here and apologized. He said he was fucking pissed off about it.
    Is this true that Trent came on here and discussed it?...

Im not all that upset about getting nothing at this point, but didn't see TR address the issue either.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    I'm going to be happy either way, I'm just saying a LOT of people are anxious to receive the PC.. But it seems like most of this time this board is hard to please.
    I hear you. It's a tough crowd, but that seems to come with the territory no matter what board you're on. (At least in most cases.)

As for me, Not The Actual Events has certainly been holding up quite well. I still need to give Dear World, and The Idea Of You more listens though, but overall I'm still digging the overall vibe, which is still definitely money well spent in my opinion. And for just 3 complete years after Hesitation Marks, I'm just very thankful, physical component or not.

I missed the entire trip from Pretty Hate Machine to The Fragile, but experiencing even just a few years of waiting for With Teeth already conditioned me to be very patient with NIN and live as if every latest record is the last one for a while, since even then I was aware as to how Trent has been known to easily scrap things and up and go without a trace.

Oh, and check this out.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...=8736#post8736
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-15-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post

Im not all that upset about getting nothing at this point, but didn't see TR address the issue either.
    As far as I know he's only addressed the issue of the digital goods being mishandled and not the physical component. It's possible I missed anything else he might have said though. Search Teitan in the member list to see all his posts.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...874#post331874

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...492#post336492

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Before you guys listened to the EP and saw the tracklist, how did you think the songs we're going to be like?
    I thought Branches and Bones was actually going to be an aggressive loud song because being a instrumental-intro song would just be too predictable.
    Dear World was going to be a catchy, fast-paced accessible angry song.
    She's Gone Away would be a quiet and atmospheric track kinda like Something I Can Never Have.
    The Idea of You was going to be fast-paced but maybe something like Zero Sum lyrics/mood wise.
    Burning Bright was either going to be an extremely heavy and angry closer or an epic, quiet song like Right Where It Belongs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You all need to chill out. It'll get there when it gets there.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I really don't care when it arrives.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I don't care when it arrives I just don't appreciate being lied to

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Always try and look on the bright side.

At least you are waiting for a physical component of an EP that you can alreadly listen to.

At least you aren't waiting for an entire album which on its release date just didn't release without any feedback, any information. No single, no leak, no teaser, no artwork, nothing.

Fucking Marilyn Manson I swear to god.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post

At least you are waiting for a physical component of an EP that you can alreadly listen to.

At least you aren't waiting for an entire album which on its release date just didn't release without any feedback, any information. No single, no leak, no teaser, no artwork, nothing.

Yikes, sorry bud

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Macbeth View Post
    Yikes, sorry bud
    Nawh, I am much bigger fan of NIN than Marilyn Manson, I am much more casual fan of his. So it didn't hit that hard for me personally, but I can't imagine how bumbed out fans of Marilyn Manson must be. Must suck real bad

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Nawh, I am much bigger fan of NIN than Marilyn Manson, I am much more casual fan of his. So it didn't hit that hard for me personally, but I can't imagine how bumbed out fans of Marilyn Manson must be. Must suck real bad
    Not gonna lie I'm a bit pissed off about it. I shouldn't be surprised but still

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Macbeth View Post
    Before you guys listened to the EP and saw the tracklist, how did you think the songs we're going to be like?
    I thought Branches and Bones was actually going to be an aggressive loud song because being a instrumental-intro song would just be too predictable.
    Dear World was going to be a catchy, fast-paced accessible angry song.
    She's Gone Away would be a quiet and atmospheric track kinda like Something I Can Never Have.
    The Idea of You was going to be fast-paced but maybe something like Zero Sum lyrics/mood wise.
    Burning Bright was either going to be an extremely heavy and angry closer or an epic, quiet song like Right Where It Belongs.
    I thought Branches/Bones was going to be a short, Pinion or Eater of Dreams-esque track that would quickly establish the mood of the record. It was great when I listened to the song for the first time, cause I wasn't really expecting it to be so fast-paced and rocking straight outta the gate. Everything about the song is fantastic, it's definitely one of my favourite NIN album openers.

Dear World, to me, sounded like it could've been a slow, sludgy song or something. I love how it turned out! Trent's spoken word vocals are really fucking cool, and the textured, rhythmic electronic elements are awesome.

She's Gone Away and The Idea of You I thought, were going to be quieter, more reflective songs, akin to Lights in the Sky. Seemed like they might've been stripped back and more piano focused.

I didn't really know what to make of Burning Bright. Thought it might've closed out the record in an experimental and noisy manner, which it totally does! Definitely wasn't expecting Trent's vocals and the super sludginess of it all!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

...and Beck...!

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Not The Actual Events

Shit, for two days I got the feeling I'm in the wrong topic. Help...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I can't imagine how bumbed out fans of Marilyn Manson must be. Must suck real bad
    Any true and seasoned fan of Marilyn Manson would know better than to take him on his word when it comes to literally anything

(ACSS cartoon/Holy Wood book/Jodorowsky collab. film/Triptych shows when)

More OT: Part of me is beginning to seriously hope that the physical component is just the lamest most basic piece of black cardstock or something simply because of how hilarious it would be for so many delays to exist around it, like Trent would just get a test copy in and every time freak out and tear it to shreds and yell about how "it's not black enough!" or something.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 02-16-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    Shit, for two days I got the feeling I'm in the wrong topic. Help...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    The amount of drift in this thread is ridic. I keep meaning to do something about it but I haven't been near my computer at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    More OT: Part of me is beginning to seriously hope that the physical component is just the lamest most basic piece of black cardstock or something simply because of how hilarious it would be for so many delays to exist around it, like Trent would just get a test copy in and every time freak out and tear it to shreds and yell about how "it's not black enough!" or something.
    "My hands aren't dirty enough after touching it" (this is assuming the final product has that crap all over it like the one that images leaked did)
    Last edited by Disassociative; 02-16-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Hey! That's what I​ was saying! Finally! Concordance!
    lololol

you just figured it out quicker. Can you point me to your analyses? I read the first, i think, two, and then kind of lost the plot in this thread.

although i will add this caveat: someone i know who i consider to be quite wise and intelligent and who has also actually met TR told me "if trent reznor studied Jung, i'll eat my cat."

So there's that.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    lololol

you just figured it out quicker. Can you point me to your analyses? I read the first, i think, two, and then kind of lost the plot in this thread.

although i will add this caveat: someone i know who i consider to be quite wise and intelligent and who has also actually met TR told me "if trent reznor studied Jung, i'll eat my cat."

So there's that.
    you
    can still understand the concept of a shadow self without knowing any of jungian theory, though.

i really like the view the two of you have of the concept.
    Last edited by Lew; 02-16-2017 at 12:03 PM. Reason: bigly words

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    i will add this caveat: someone i know who i consider to be quite wise and intelligent and who has also actually met TR told me "if trent reznor studied Jung, i'll eat my cat."

So there's that.
    I'll swallow mine whole, Stephen King's style.
    Which is why I cringe a little every time I see some smart and intricate analysis of NIN lyrics and albums. That's like finding the golden ratio in the structure of a porta-potty.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    @Khrz is there an undercurrent here regarding the fact that i consider Stephen King to be an amazing writer of americana and you think i'm insane?

The thing is that you probably COULD find the golden ratio in the structure of a porta-potty if you looked hard enough.
    It's all in the mind of the person doing the analysis.

I will also add that my mother told me "son, not everything has some deep meaning. i don't think this record MEANS anything."

And she is wiser than me.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-16-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    @Khrz is there an undercurrent here regarding the fact that i consider Stephen King to be an amazing writer of americana and you think i'm insane?
    I don't understand that question, so I'll just say that the eating of cats mentioned by you (indeed a connaisseur of King) called this short story to mind, brainfart which I promptly shared with y'all folks.

And I didn't want it to be demeaning in any way for anyone. I personally find it odd to use so much brain power to unweave Reznor's lyrics, but that's just me, I'm not judging.

And you probably WILL find all sorts of awesome and amazing proportions in a porta-potty. Should you, though ? That's where I draw the line, but as I said, that's just me !
    Last edited by Khrz; 02-16-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I don't understand that question, so I'll just say that the eating of cats mentioned by you (indeed a connaisseur of King) called this short story to mind, brainfart which I promptly shared with y'all folks.

And I didn't want it to be demeaning in any way for anyone. I personally find it odd to use so much brain power to unweave Reznor's lyrics, but that's just me, I'm not judging.

And you probably WILL find all sorts of awesome and amazing proportions in a porta-potty. Should you, though ? That's where I draw the line, but as I said, that's just me !
    i just meant that you once told me that you thought i was nuts for comparing King to Mark Twain (if i'm not mistaken.) :P
    So i wondered if that was part of why you referenced him here. It all seemed to tie together, the idea of seeing high concepts when they might not be there.

And I know you aren't trying to be demeaning.

Oh wow. Look. I am finding meaning in your post that isn't there, lolz. :P

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    i just meant that you once told me that you thought i was nuts for comparing King to Mark Twain (if i'm not mistaken.) :P
    So i wondered if that was part of why you referenced him here. It all seemed to tie together, the idea of seeing high concepts when they might not be there.

And I know you aren't trying to be demeaning.
    Oh, no, not at all. I disagree but I still respect your opinion, same as I respect the enjoyment everyone's having in deconstructing NIN lyrics. Poking fun at your love of King would be kinda condescending, that's how I feel anyway.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Oh @Sesquipedalism , i didn't say that i AGREED with her.

I stated what i think the album means and i stand by that statement.

I was just musing on counter arguments.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I don't find that to be a particularly wise statement at all. It's a work of art. It has meaning. What that meaning is is up for debate and "deep" is a subjective word. I think if you suggested to any artist that his or her work didn't mean anything, he or she would probably be rather displeased. And I think a thing can be about much more than the author realizes. In fact, for the best perspective, I'd suggest that talking to the artist might be one of the last things you want to do.

If you went on a manic tear trying to deduce and explain the meaning of a prop in the background of a movie, and then discovered later that it was only there because it was literally the first thing the prop guy found near him when he needed to cover a rip in a tablecloth, even that tells you something, if you look at it in a Marxist way. Art has meaning; its meaning is usually partially inherent and partially applied. And intentions are only sometimes relevant.
    It may only "mean something" to the author on a personal level, or it can be intentionally meaningless. See the Dada movement, which was pretty much giving the finger to any meaning. Sure, that in itself has meaning, but so does this box of Cheerios on my table. If you interpreted Dada by assigning its relation to felines in heat, you'd be wrong. Sure, it sounds interesting to you but without the basis of artist intent, it becomes YOUR art, YOUR intent. Further, by assigning meaning to everything, you are diluting everything to nothing. If by "meaning" you mean secret message or profound statements, that's not always true, either. Henry James' "Portrait of a Lady" was ABOUT a specific topic, and it demonstrated James' attitude about American upper-class in Europe, and it certainly represents some of the most beautifully-written literature in the English language, but it does not contain any intentional meaning or secret messages or associations beyond that; it's not a secret message telling you how to live your life, it has no relation to Jung (who wasn't born, yet). It isn't about the Jewish Diaspora. See Reader Response Theory, which is clear that the reader's interpretation should not go beyond the text. So if I swear that "March of the Pigs" is about a bunch of chickens in a swimming pool praying to Jesus, that could be my response but it would not be based on any meaning from the actual text. However, see Stanley Fish's "Surprised by Sin," wherein Fish theorizes that the Reader's response to Milton's "Paradise Lost" indicates the Reader's own sins, guilt about said sins, or attitudes about same in reaction to the text. See also, say, Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box" which isn't likely to contain intentional meaning to anyone except the author of said lyrics. See also the Beatles' "I am the Walrus." They may "mean" something to you, but "meaning" is not synonymous with "interpretation." The TITLE of this EP is "Not the Actual Events." Which alludes to deception. So why would it be a surprise that the lyrics on this EP would perhaps be deliberately deceptive? Intended to lead people off the track? Not the actual meaning of the not-actual events?
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2017 at 02:42 PM.