Page 65 of 102 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 3060

Thread: Nine Inch Nails - 2014 Tour Discussion/Speculation

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I could give two fucks if TR toured in SA back in the day, I don't live there so I could care less. I'm just explaining that not touring there for over 15 years is probably why NIN doesn't have a big following there

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    When is Hole going to do a tour of the Amazon and play to all these ancient tribes who have never heard their music before? I mean, if we're going to talk about untapped markets here...

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Alaskan Wilderness 2015.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Sadly Lady Gaga is going to be the first to do Space with all those untapped alien markets

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    No band has ever played a concert in my basement before. Do you hear me, Trent? Think of that untapped potential.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Ryan's Bed: Tension 2.0 - 2015

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Ryan's Bed: Tension 2.0 - 2015
    They can bring a whole new set of instruments to be played there.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Who's on skin flute???...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Who's on skin flute???...
    Mariqueen of course.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Not that it necessarily has anything to do with current tour woes, but man, getting the chance to travel to Chile to see LITS Over South America in Santiago was one of the best experiences/shows of my life. One of the most passionate, friendly, beautiful crowds I've ever been in. My brother and I were probably the only english speakers in our general vicinity, but goddamn if everyone didn't know every single word to every single song (new or old, single or deep cut) and yell along to every one. It's still one of my favourite NIN memories.

Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I could give two fucks... I could care less...
    No comment necessary.
    Last edited by howdidislipinto; 04-14-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The version of Disappointed from Lollapalooza Brazil adds a totally new spin on the song. It's amazing. Ilan just rocks the shit out of the bass during this show.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    The version of Disappointed from Lollapalooza Brazil adds a totally new spin on the song. It's amazing. Ilan just rocks the shit out of the bass during this show.
    Proves that song doesn't need the visuals after all.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    none of the songs "need" visuals. They're just awesome - like the proverbial cherry on top.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    hm.....

NIN Made in America festival, expanded to Philly AND Los Angeles.

Los Angeles = 8/30, 8/31. Last NIN show of NA tour = 8/25.

Lineup not yet announced and early bird tix are $120/2 day pass. What you guys think? Will NIN return to MIA fest and bring SG with them? Should I (we) make the pemberton gamble?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    hm.....

NIN Made in America festival, expanded to Philly AND Los Angeles.

Los Angeles = 8/30, 8/31. Last NIN show of NA tour = 8/25.

Lineup not yet announced and early bird tix are $120/2 day pass. What you guys think? Will NIN return to MIA fest and bring SG with them? Should I (we) make the pemberton gamble?
    Wouldn't their show in la conflict with the contract?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    I was there, and I kinda missed some visuals on Disappointed. The song just goes on forever - especially for a festival setting. Most skippable song on that setlist.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I could give two fucks if TR toured in SA back in the day, I don't live there so I could care less. I'm just explaining that not touring there for over 15 years is probably why NIN doesn't have a big following there
    While billpulsipher is pretty much factually wrong about most things he says here, NIN do have a pretty terrible presence in South America - especially in Brazil.

People just don't know the band. They're not mentioned in the media, the fan community is relatively small and not that engaged in anything. When they played in 2005, headlining festivals, people didn't know the band either - as surprising as the gig was, they didn't maintain the momentum. The lack of a record label in 2008 did harm their publicity down here, and the piss-poor ticket sales led to the band cancelling half a tour. Again, people don't fucking know the band, so they're not buying tickets. Being "that band that cancels shows" also doesn't make anyone more popular. Their presence in South America could have been managed better over the past few years, and the 2008 incident has a lot to do with that. Some people just dropped out of possibly getting into a band that had potential to grow here, but didn't.

Then the reunion comes around, and you think people will give more of a shit, but it hasn't changed that much. The Lollapalooza Brasil crowd was divided between superfans way close to the stage, and a bunch of curious people just standing back and probably being disappointed that there were no shiny screens involved. Then there's the abysmal ticket sales in Rio to cap it all off, and the fact that the band couldn't (didn't want to?) play to a half-empty crowd or be changed to a smaller venue. Hell, Arcade Fire were in a similar situation, playing to 3000 people at a 7000-capacity venue (the same as NIN's) and they still showed up. I don't see any promoters booking NIN in this country ever again. And I don't think Trent is itching to spend a lot of money on bringing his expensive solo gig down here either.

For comparison, I look at QOTSA's relationship with South American fans. They played a lame set to a crowd that couldn't give a fuck at Rock In Rio 2001. They came back in 2010 to play a bunch of festivals at less-than-optimal slot times, but they were still well-received, and clearly cared a lot about showing how pleased they were with the crowds. In 2013, they played their very first gig in like two years here in Brazil, debuting a new song, accompanied by a ton of simultaneous blowjobs with South American fan pages on Facebook and whatnot. They established their presence here pretty well, and now they're playing a bunch of headlining gigs in South America in September. I used to think "well QOTSA are just all-around more popular", but then I realize they're never properly invited to headline festivals the way NIN were several times last year. In fact, NIN played a higher slot than QOTSA at Lollapalooza Brasil, except not in the same year. Not that it means anything, but NIN even have like half a million more likes on Facebook than QOTSA.

So, TL;DR: I think NIN could've been bigger in Brazil. Now they're never, ever coming back to The Land That Cancels Concerts.
    Last edited by FernandoDante; 04-16-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Ye of little faith.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Wouldn't their show in la conflict with the contract?
    What contract?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    What contract?
    The contract to play at MIA. They don't play for free. And it usually has a no compete clause. That's why there was no Philly Tension stop (or Chicago I believe)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    The contract to play at MIA. They don't play for free. And it usually has a no compete clause. That's why there was no Philly Tension stop (or Chicago I believe)
    Guess we'll have to see? Anything in a contract can be negotiated.

Tix are relatively cheap now, might just buy presales and unload on eBay/CL if the lineup blows.
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 04-16-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    While billpulsipher is pretty much factually wrong about most things he says here, NIN do have a pretty terrible presence in South America - especially in Brazil.

People just don't know the band. They're not mentioned in the media, the fan community is relatively small and not that engaged in anything. When they played in 2005, headlining festivals, people didn't know the band either - as surprising as the gig was, they didn't maintain the momentum. The lack of a record label in 2008 did harm their publicity down here, and the piss-poor ticket sales led to the band cancelling half a tour. Again, people don't fucking know the band, so they're not buying tickets. Being "that band that cancels shows" also doesn't make anyone more popular. Their presence in South America could have been managed better over the past few years, and the 2008 incident has a lot to do with that. Some people just dropped out of possibly getting into a band that had potential to grow here, but didn't.

Then the reunion comes around, and you think people will give more of a shit, but it hasn't changed that much. The Lollapalooza Brasil crowd was divided between superfans way close to the stage, and a bunch of curious people just standing back and probably being disappointed that there were no shiny screens involved. Then there's the abysmal ticket sales in Rio to cap it all off, and the fact that the band couldn't (didn't want to?) play to a half-empty crowd or be changed to a smaller venue. Hell, Arcade Fire were in a similar situation, playing to 3000 people at a 7000-capacity venue (the same as NIN's) and they still showed up. I don't see any promoters booking NIN in this country ever again. And I don't think Trent is itching to spend a lot of money on bringing his expensive solo gig down here either.

For comparison, I look at QOTSA's relationship with South American fans. They played a lame set to a crowd that couldn't give a fuck at Rock In Rio 2001. They came back in 2010 to play a bunch of festivals at less-than-optimal slot times, but they were still well-received, and clearly cared a lot about showing how pleased they were with the crowds. In 2013, they played their very first gig in like two years here in Brazil, debuting a new song, accompanied by a ton of simultaneous blowjobs with South American fan pages on Facebook and whatnot. They established their presence here pretty well, and now they're playing a bunch of headlining gigs in South America in September. I used to think "well QOTSA are just all-around more popular", but then I realize they're never properly invited to headline festivals the way NIN were several times last year. In fact, NIN played a higher slot than QOTSA at Lollapalooza Brasil, except not in the same year. Not that it means anything, but NIN even have like half a million more likes on Facebook than QOTSA.

So, TL;DR: I think NIN could've been bigger in Brazil. Now they're never, ever coming back to The Land That Cancels Concerts.
    I don't get why they can't just come and play small venues - they did in Tokyo and other places

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    you know, i've noticed that you are kind of an asshole...no offense. are you like this in real life too?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I don't get why they can't just come and play small venues - they did in Tokyo and other places
    Yeah, that puzzles me too.

The asshole in me says it's an ego thing, where NIN assume it's their first gig here in years so they can sell out a fairly large venue. When they find out sales were pitiful, it's too humiliating to be downgraded to a smaller place, so they just cancel it.

Then there's the technical side, where apparently a smaller venue wouldn't fit their light show. Total bullshit. They played the Scala and the Troubadour with barely any setup, and didn't have any problems doing it. The venue in Japan was similarly small, right? Trent's excuse of not wanting to show just 4 people onstage without any visual spectacle is also kinda bullshit. South America got NIN's most basic visuals in years - and these were festivals broadcast to the world, not just standalone concerts. Australia didn't get much either. Trent seems to be ok with having below-average visuals (for NIN's standards anyway). I'd be ok with that too, if it meant a standalone gig.

I'd also be ok with Trent not coming back to North America saying: "welp, we were in Mexico and South America for the past few weeks, and LET'S JUST SAY, it's good to be back". But that's just me speculating on whether or not he actually enjoys/avoids playing SA.

EDIT: Yes, I'm grateful that I got to see NIN live. I just don't see it happening again in this country soon (or at all), so it's kind of a bummer at the same time.
    Last edited by FernandoDante; 04-16-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Yeah, that puzzles me too.

The asshole in me says it's an ego thing, where NIN assume it's their first gig here in years so they can sell out a fairly large venue. When they find out sales were pitiful, it's too humiliating to be downgraded to a smaller place, so they just cancel it.
    They did downgrade in Prague though. Maybe there weren't any suitable venues available at the time. It's just a shame they never booked a smaller venue in the first place, perhaps promoters in Brazil are shit at organising appropriate venues?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Nobody knows who the fuck Nine Inch Nails are here either and somehow the routinely play dozens of shows here per tour.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Guess we'll have to see? Anything in a contract can be negotiated.

Tix are relatively cheap now, might just buy presales and unload on eBay/CL if the lineup blows.

Last year for MIA, I just bought a one-day ticket (for NIN's day) on stubhub for like $40. So you can either get the 2-day and sell it off, or wait and buy a 1-day if they are playing.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I think that largely worked in our favor, though, because of all the Beyonce fans who had no interest in Day Two and wanted to make at least some of their money back.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I enjoyed my Made in America experience last year, on both days. But that's probably because it was my first major festival.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Then there's the technical side, where apparently a smaller venue wouldn't fit their light show. Total bullshit. They played the Scala and the Troubadour with barely any setup, and didn't have any problems doing it. The venue in Japan was similarly small, right? Trent's excuse of not wanting to show just 4 people onstage without any visual spectacle is also kinda bullshit. South America got NIN's most basic visuals in years - and these were festivals broadcast to the world, not just standalone concerts. Australia didn't get much either. Trent seems to be ok with having below-average visuals (for NIN's standards anyway). I'd be ok with that too, if it meant a standalone gig.
    But is there any evidence to either of these theories (that playing in a smaller venue would be a humiliation or that the lighting prevents them from playing smaller venues)? It sounds pretty contradictory to what we do know, i.e., that they are willing to play smaller venues. There are probably some logistical issues with changing venues.