Thread: David Lynch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    David Lynch is not a director but a true artist. I love his films and I wish there were more directors like him.
    A lot of directors are artists. Lynch has a sort of postmodernist or avant-garde style, which i'm sure you love, but his apparent disdain for convention doesn't make him any more of an artist.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    A lot of directors are artists. Lynch has a sort of postmodernist or avant-garde style, which i'm sure you love, but his apparent disdain for convention doesn't make him any more of an artist.
    I would disagree with that, some people love the Tranformer movies but I consider Michael Bay to be everything that is wrong with the Hollywood machine. I'm just using Michael Bay as an example but I could easily name ten other directors that make big budget garbage that is more about pleasing the shareholders than it is about art.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    I would disagree with that, some people love the Tranformer movies but I consider Michael Bay to be everything that is wrong with the Hollywood machine. I'm just using Michael Bay as an example but I could easily name ten other directors that make big budget garbage that is more about pleasing the shareholders than it is about art.
    I have a pretty low bar for what I consider art. Any genuine form of expression or entertainment that employs a technique, than it's art to me. A middle school rendition of Annie, I think that's art. The guy that decorates the grocery store window, i think that qualifies. So being an artist, that's easy. Being good, that's harder.

So despite the fact that these Michael Bay movies are souless Hollywood carnival rides, i do think there is a craft to making them. Armageddon is cheesy as hell, but it's well made. I'd say the same thing about the new Batman movies too.

I can't say the same thing about the Came Back Haunted video, in fact I thought it was a lazy showing, and beneath the dignity of Lynch's reputation. But at the same time, I wouldn't call it "not art", because I think he was trying to express something, even though he didn't appear to try very hard.

Art that is profound enough to affect us so that it changes us; that's rare. I felt this way about Elephant Man. But if I start holding people to that standard, the population of "artists" on this planet is going to shrink by (1/1000). I'll just call call it a masterpiece, by a master craftsman.

At the same time, I share your frustration with what comes out of Hollywood. But the problem isn't the producers, it's the audience. If only people would stop shelling out coin to go see SuperGuy in SuperGuy Film #X movies, we might start seeing more original and profound content. But it doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon. Thankfully, there are alternatives to hollywood, and great films are being made as we speak. We just need to look a little harder to find them.
    Last edited by HurtinMinorKey; 01-18-2014 at 07:06 PM.