Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 2035

Thread: Qotsa

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Excellent news. Looking forward to hearing this. In Times New Roman or ATUM will probably be my favorite album of 2023.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    $50 w/tax & shipping for a 2xLP? i fucking hate inflation

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Kind of "meh" about the new track. It's not bad by any means, and I like the lyrics, but it's not exactly knocking my socks off either.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    $50 w/tax & shipping for a 2xLP? i fucking hate inflation
    Another reason I prefer CDs over records. Only $16.00 on Amazon.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Not bad at all! Glad to hear some new QOTSA.

Although the title shares a name with one of my favourite Silverchair songs which which means I have to specify which one I mean when using Siri in the car. Ah good old first world problems.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The promos are dope!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    New song just kind of meanders around; it's ok.

Just glad they're back. I have to revisit everything, since it's been a very long time that I've sat down, and listened to them.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    This is a weird song to listen to. The Atmos mix on Apple Music sounds like it was mixed by someone with an inner ear infection. When I listen to it on YouTube Music it sounds much fuller, like an actual band. It's so fucking weird. There's better instrumentation, better panning, better everything. I can see why some people are saying it sounds terrible: it actually does sound terrible!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    This is a weird song to listen to. The Atmos mix on Apple Music sounds like it was mixed by someone with an inner ear infection. When I listen to it on YouTube Music it sounds much fuller, like an actual band. It's so fucking weird. There's better instrumentation, better panning, better everything. I can see why some people are saying it sounds terrible: it actually does sound terrible!
    Just turn off Atmos, then. The same stereo mix is on Apple too, but it defaults to a downmixed stereo version of the Atmos track (stupidly).

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I think it's fair to say there's an evolution of some musical ideas that we were first introduced to with Eagles of Death Metal in this track. It's a more unconventional listen than usual - I'm not quite counting out loud, but it's herky jerky in a way that takes a little getting used to, at least until you get to the chorus. While I miss some of the chonkier sound (desert stoner rock?) of earlier QOTSA, I appreciate the continued exploration of more complex texture and orchestration. All that said, I want to hear the rest of the album before I pony up for vinyl.

It's weird typing this up and thinking about how ...Like Clockwork is a decade old. That's my peak QOTSA album.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I often wonder if the (random people, not you) making these Atmos comments are listening on a "proper" setup or just using some new-fangled codec their headphones offer.

I am not allowed to get water in my ears, should I be offended by your inner ear infection comment?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Just turn off Atmos, then. The same stereo mix is on Apple too, but it defaults to a downmixed stereo version of the Atmos track (stupidly).
    I did turn it off, just saying that if that's how someone hears the song and doesn't then they could complain - as I'm seeing on reddit - that it sounds like a tin can.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I think it's fair to say there's an evolution of some musical ideas that we were first introduced to with Eagles of Death Metal in this track. It's a more unconventional listen than usual - I'm not quite counting out loud, but it's herky jerky in a way that takes a little getting used to, at least until you get to the chorus. While I miss some of the chonkier sound (desert stoner rock?) of earlier QOTSA, I appreciate the continued exploration of more complex texture and orchestration. All that said, I want to hear the rest of the album before I pony up for vinyl.

It's weird typing this up and thinking about how ...Like Clockwork is a decade old. That's my peak QOTSA album.
    It reminds me of 3's & 7's with the start/stops, maybe a little bit Sick, Sick, Sick as well. And yeah, LC is the album of theirs that I go back to the most, I blame it on life at the time needing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I often wonder if the (random people, not you) making these Atmos comments are listening on a "proper" setup or just using some new-fangled codec their headphones offer.

I am not allowed to get water in my ears, should I be offended by your inner ear infection comment?
    guilty of listening to Airpods Pro Atmos. But this is the first mix where I've had this happen so I don't know. Also I'm at work, so yeah I'm stuck with headphones for the minute. I have thought about installing a better speaker system here but I need permission to drill into the walls.

Also lol, I'm the same hence why the direct comparison to water in my ears.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Right? I would NOT have predicted they would still be going with more-or-less the same lineup (and art director!) this long, for the third straight album, either.

I also see in the credits on Tidal that Matt Helders plays on the new track, in addition to Jon Theodore. Though I don't hear a second drum kit... so maybe just extra backing vocals?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ...Like Clockwork is, in my opinion, the greatest rock album of the last 50 years

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I'm in the same boat, waiting to hear the full album before I splurge on vinyl, single did not grab me. And yes, agree, Like Clockwork is their best work.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I agree "Like Clockwork" is the best QOTSA album!

As for the single, i liked it, actually it reminded me more to "Era Vulgaris" than the Like Clockwork/Villains era, definitely it has an Eagles of Death Metal Vibe, i need to listen to the whole album!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Same here. I still remember the leadup to it. The fact that we got a track with both Trent AND Elton John on it still blows my mind.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I'm dedicating tomorrow as a QOTSA listening extravaganza. I just did this over the past two weeks with all of Sevendust's gigantic, 14 LP discography and found a lot of gems I never heard.

It will be like listening to them for the first time again. I rememeber really liking Lullabies, but I haven't listened to that album since the year it came out!
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 05-11-2023 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The new song isn't grabbing me, it definitely feels like an odd choice of a first single. Like others have said, it's not bad, just not as catchy as I would have expected. The production sounds better than Villains, the drums sound much better. I agree, Like Clockwork is definitely their high water mark, I don't see anything topping that album. Looks like most of the vinyl has sold out already from their webstore, though an indie store variant is certainly coming.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Unless they drop a deluxe vinyl later (which would be a dick move IMO) it seems like these are flavors for all retailers: label, band, bandcamp, indies. Several indies have the same colors as pre-orders.

I REALLY like the single. It's the perfectly oddball musical progression from Villains and I love it. Glad they produced the album (and not Ronson) and I'm happy it seems to have some added kind of decadent darkness to it, with the Roman visual theme. And the choice for a single makes sense given the subject matter...which could be viewed as petty but whatever.
    Last edited by cdm; 05-12-2023 at 08:54 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Much better lead single than The Way You Used To Do and My God is the Sun IMO. Those are probably my least favorite tracks on their respective albums.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "Post Pop Depression" is still my favorite "queens" record of the past 10 years...ish. Like the new track, feels very introspective.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Music Video:

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    FYI as of now Amoeba appears to be the least expensive at $35ish https://www.amoeba.com/queens-of-the...292/stock-hide

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Cool

So, due to work, I had to start my listening party a tad late.

Songs for the Deaf, Lullabies, and Era Vulgaris are the 3 that I have fully listened to multiple times, so for some reason I wound up listening to Era, Lullabies, and currently on their Self-titled (Reissue). "You Would Know" is on now, and DAHMM, this album is a beast so far. One aspect about the band I can commend them for is completely fleshing out their sound, and sticking to that since their introduction into the rock universe. It really amazes me that they are able to continue pushing out quality music, at such an impressive clip.

Very cool that the creation of the reissue inspired them to continue working, and start recording Like Clockwork.

Era Vulgaris:5/10
    I rememeber enjoying this album much more when it first came out, but after another listen, it is definitely at the bottom of their discography for me so far. While there are some meaty tracks, it sounds hollow, and blends together. The vibe they went with does seem thought out, but even with some interesting guitar work (As always), it sounds like something is missing and they ran out of ideas.

Faves:
    Make it Wit Chu
    River in the Road
    Run, Pig, Run

Lullabies To Paralyze:10/10
    The minute the album started, I was instantly sent back into my friend Andy's Volkswagen Golf, blasting this thing to kingdom come. Was surprised how much I remembered, with each song bringing back the nostalgia of yesteryear, only putting a huge smile on my face.

Not only does this album set the tone early, it maintains that dreery, dark, vibe that reflects the album cover. They are masters at changing up the tone of the song from slow, right into a fast paced berage of strings and heavy drums, and progressive sections that show of their chops.

The album does lose some steam towards the end, but I feel if the track list was tweaked, it would work better. There is so much interesting stuff going on in this album, it is a crime to not listen with headphones. Easily one of their best so far, with Someone's in the Wolf being one of their best songs in general. Album is an absolute masterpiece.

Faves:
    Medication
    Everybody Knows That You're Insane
    Burn The Witch
    Little Sister
    Someone's in the Wolf
    Skin On Skin
    You Got A Killer Scene There, Man...

That's all I have for now, will continue this later, and during work tomorrow!
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 05-14-2023 at 10:35 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Lullabies To Paralyze:
    The minute the album started, I was instantly sent back into my friend Andy's Volkswagen Golf, blasting this thing to kingdom come. Was surprised how much I remembered, with each song bringing back the nostalgia of yesteryear, only putting a huge smile on my face.

Not only does this album set the tone early, it maintains that dreery, dark, vibe that reflects the album cover. They are masters at changing up the tone of the song from slow, right into a fast paced berage of strings and heavy drums.

The album does lose some steam towards the end, but I feel if the track list was tweaked, it would work better. There is so much interesting stuff going on in this album, it is a crime to not listen with headphones. Easily one of their best so far, with Someone's in the Wolf being one of their best songs in general.

Faves:
    Medication
    Everybody Knows That You're Insane
    Burn The Witch
    Little Sister
    Someone's in the Wolf
    You Got A Killer Scene There, Man...

That's all I have for now, will continue this later, and during work tomorrow!
    Lullabies... is an underrated jewel, i always considered them among their best and most solid albums, "Like Clockwork..." is better of course, but "Lullabies..." gets no love IMO.
    "I never Came", man, that's a killer track!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Lullabies... is an underrated jewel, i always considered them among their best and most solid albums, "Like Clockwork..." is better of course, but "Lullabies..." gets no love IMO.
    Gahhh, for some reason I forgot to add "I Never Came." What a beautiful song, and a nice change of pace!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I'm dedicating tomorrow as a QOTSA listening extravaganza. I just did this over the past two weeks with all of Sevendust's gigantic, 14 LP discography and found a lot of gems I never heard.

It will be like listening to them for the first time again. I rememeber really liking Lullabies, but I haven't listened to that album since the year it came out!
    You're in for a treat. Imo they're the best rock band of the century so far and it's not really close. Every album is different yet so queens. I love them so much. Don't forget to listen to all the b sides esp from the lullibies/era vulgaris albums. Fun machine is one of their best songs and it's not even on an album lol. That's how good they are.

So as far as the new track. I adore it. This is now you break up with someone. You make art. It's so smarmy yet vulnerable. Totally Josh. The album title is fantadtic. All the promos have been dope. I'm super excited for the record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I disagree. I think lullabies is their masterpiece. I think not only is it their best album it's one of the very best albums of the century so far. I like clockwork a lot. a lot a lot. Still for me lullabies is just so menacing and sexy and supernatural.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Ok, listened to three more albums last night, and man... What a ride!

Self-titled: 7/10
    This one was a pleasant surprise. The album really showcases the start of what the band is made of, and begins that good old, hard, grungy twang the band always puts forth. Funny, because it sounds like it could have been released between 1993 - 1996. You can really hear that quintessential QOTSA sound trying to tear itself out in some tracks.

While the first 8 tracks are really solid, the album starts to feel bogged down by repetitive riffs, and way too many instrumentals, or tracks with barely any vocals. I'm sure the original release may sound a bit more raw, and a tad easier to get through with less tracks on it, but it loses focus after Mexicola. There are definitely some tracks where I tell myself "I feel like I've heard this song before." Homme's vocals really drives this one forward, whenever they are used.

Faves:
    Regular John
    If Only
    Walkin' On The Sidewalks
    The Bronze
    Mexicola

Rated R:6/10
    Ok... I actually gave this one 1 1/2 listens, due to the huge departure from the first albums sound. It really didn't open up for me, until track 5. The first 4 tracks, and then the last 3 or so, sound like they just threw a bunch of ideas at the wall, and see what stuck. Seems like there were too many hands in the cookie jar on this one.

Must I say, Nick Oliveri's harsh vocals are fucking awesome. Like, what a crazy, but nice change of pace, along with Mark Lanegan's calm and collective, voice which adds such a great dynamic on the next album up.

I will commend the band for changing up their sound so much that I'm sure alienated fans back in the day, but the musicianship here cannot be overlooked. The album for me, suffers from a lack of focus, cohesively, and some tracks that just do not work for me. At times, it almost sounds like a compilation album.

Faves:
    Better Living Through Chemistry
    Monsters In The Parasol
    Quick And To The Pointless
    In The Fade
    Tension Head

Songs For The Deaf:9/10
    Queens Of The Stone Age, finally refine their sound from the first two releases, and make one of the best modern rock/alt albums made in the last 30 years.

WOW, where do I begin? Let me remind everyone that this album, and Lullabies were the two I was most familiar with, and I enjoyed this even more than I did when I bought the album when it was released. The concept works throughout the entire album, with a dude driving through the California desert, all the way to Vegas, giving this Fear and Loathing feeling.

The album sounds like an amalgamation of S/T, and Rated R, with adding tracks that are straight up Alt-metal at times. It is incredibly balanced (As all things should ) with only 2 tracks that sound like borderline b-sides: "Gonna Leave You" and "Do It Again" could have been ripped from the track listing and the album wouldn't miss a beat. The harsher vocals are utilized much better, and it gives more breathing room for all 3 vocalsits.

This album, in my opinion is top tier QOTSA, and could be released today with no hiccups. I forgot how huge of a song "First It Giveth" was. And I have to give a shout out to Dave Grohl for his drumming on this masterpiece. I find him such a better drummer, than a vocalist/guitarist, but that just me.

Faves:
    First it Giveth
    The Sky Is Fallin'
    Six Shooter
    God Is In The Radio
    Song For The Deaf
    Mosquito Song

I will save all of the b-sides and unreleased stuff when I finish all of the albums! Two more to go!
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 05-14-2023 at 06:48 PM.