Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Great interview with Bill Rieflin in Rolling Stone. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...-cover-w482835

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The record set straight on Adrian Belew's exit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    The record set straight on Adrian Belew's exit

that makes me feel SO MUCH BETTER about the situation. i knew robert could be...difficult, but i couldn't imagine him being that much of a dick to adrian after that long, you know?

still mad about trent not actually utilizing him properly in NIN, though

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I can see how Belew might not have fit into what Fripp's vision was for the new lineup, especially considering that there would be a specific focus on the material that pre-dated the 80's band. Jakko is the perfect guy in that sense because he has much more a feel for the oldest KC music.

That said I see Tony Levin and possibly Mastelotto as rather vital to KC, even now because they are such a strong rhythm unit.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Attention!

THIS IS NOT A DRILL: The Radical Action to Unseat... live album is now streaming on Spotify (and Tidal, yippee!) along with the new Heroes EP.

Can the rest of the catalogue be far behind, I wonder?
    Last edited by botley; 06-05-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm just hoping amends are made with last.fm

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    so, i saw them last night at the chicago theater. it was my second time seeing them there, fourth or fifth overall. hands down, this was the best.
    i'm so glad that the chicago theater (and K.C. in particular) prioritizes the clarity of the sound rather than the volume of the sound. it was incredible how good everything sounded.

some highlights
    • jakko looks like a hobbit and it makes me giggle every time
    • jeremy fits right in as a drumming replacement for bill, and i was surprised to see him playing some keys along with bill
    • they played neurotica, indiscipline, fallen angel, and fucking CIRKUS, none of which i was expecting to hear
    • they played something new (or at least that i haven't heard) and it was really cool, very much in the vein of meltdown & radical action
    • their cover of heroes was just really nice to hear during the encore
    • gavin's really long drum solo during schizoid man was fucking insane, and so captivating
    • overall, they played for almost three hours, not counting the 20 minute intermission

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Couple of cool interviews including a rundown of Jakko's Line 6 Helix programmable effects unit. Having this guy in the lineup is the reason they'll be able to continue performing stuff from all eras of the catalogue for years to come!

I'm really excited for the whole experience tonight — not just the show but getting a Q&A with Singleton and one of the band members. Hoping for Rieflin so I can ask him about "La Mer"!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I really do hope they make a proper album at some point, if just to put a cap on things and just continue touring.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    "Radical III (Clarify)" sounded really spiffy last night. I also really love "Radical II", but it definitely works best immediately going into a BLISTERING "Level Five", which last night put even the previously-best Live in Toronto version to shame. Was not expecting to hear the beautiful "Islands" immediately after a stomping "Larks' Tongues, Part Two", either!

"Heroes" was tear-jerking and so was "Fallen Angel". I also really appreciate that they did "Cirkus"/"The Battle of Glass Tears" back-to-back for us closet Lizard junkies. Really dug Jeremy's jazzy into to "Neurotica" and his piano rocking, and of course Bill R's delicate textures in "The Letters". Overall, a superb show. I was right in the front row by Gavin! BEAST.

We got to chat with Jakko during the Q&A, which was great. He has great comic timing and a nice loud voice even unamplified! David let a few details slip about a potential 50th anniversary In the Court box set... apparently they will try to include ALL the multi-tracks for the album sessions! That's going on my list. The Christmastime '70-'72 box this year will be called Sailor's Tales.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    19 Oct Bass Performance Hall, Austin
    21 Oct Music Hall, Dallas
    23 Oct Center Stage, Atlanta
    24 Oct Center Stage, Atlanta
    26 Oct Duke Energy Centre for the Performing Arts, Raleigh
    28 Oct Lisner Auditorium, Washington D.C.
    29 Oct Lisner Auditorium, Washington D.C.
    31 Oct New Jersey Performing Arts Centre, Newark
    02 Nov Merriam Theatre, Philadelphia
    03 Nov Merriam Theatre, Philadelphia
    06 Nov Orpheum Theatre, Boston
    08 Nov The Egg, Albany
    09 Nov The Egg, Albany
    11 Nov Miller Symphony Hall, Allentown
    17 Nov Beacon Theatre, New York
    18 Nov Beacon Theatre, New York
    22 Nov Michigan Theatre, Ann Arbor
    24 Nov Hard Rock Cafe, Cleveland
    26 Nov Riverside Theatre, Milwaukee

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    HOLY FUCK!!!!! NO FUCKING WAY!!!!!! Now there's show I definitely want to go to. 2 fucking shows at the ATL.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Managed to watch them last night, unreal!

Oh, and today i scored an autograph by Bill Rieflin in a plastic bag! (full story later, lol)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I love my King Crimson 2017 swag. The 2CD tour box is terrific, the VIP t-shirt I got is awesome, the laminate, the signed photo program, even the friggin plastic bag it all came in (if it's the one I'm thinking of that @henryeatscereal got signed, heheh, I don't blame you for having Rieflin sign that) and a goddamn Schzoid bumper sticker, ferchrissakes!

How unreal is it that they are playing "Cirkus"! That song is so fucking great, you guys.
    Last edited by botley; 07-28-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    You and botley now share the distinction at being two shows that were released officially by them (that I know of anyway).
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 04-09-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    FUUUUUUCK YESSSSSSSSS i am so excited. i told y'all the chicago show was amazing.
    Heck yeah! That's super exciting news, it's basically the same setlist as the one I got to see this year. Definitely ordering that when it goes live in the store, a 2CD set would hit the spot perfectly.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Uh-oh. It would appear as if Belew isn't happy about the new KC performing his material. I can understand his argument a little, especially if there was indeed a "gentleman's agreement" as he put it. Then again a lot of the music they're doing now was written by people not also in their current line-up either obviously.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Uh-oh. It would appear as if Belew isn't happy about the new KC performing his material. I can understand his argument a little, especially if there was indeed a "gentleman's agreement" as he put it. Then again a lot of the music they're doing now was written by people not also in their current line-up either obviously.
    that's incredibly frustrating, and i believe ade is over-reacting. especially with what david said, about his band playing KC material. you can't have it both ways, bub. hope he chills out and realizes that no one is trying to swindle him. :/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    From Roger Waters suing the other members of Pink Floyd to keep from continuing on to this I'll never understand the mindset some musicians have once they leave bands and feel they can dictate stuff like this to begin with. I can at least understand as much something to the effect of what Dickey Betts said after he left The Allman Brothers Band about them still playing his material, countering that when you see him live you'll never hear him play Gregg Allman songs.

Yes Belew was a major creative force on those songs, but at least two of the guys who backed him up and made those numbers as good as they can be are still in King Crimson. I think his comments regarding the other members being treated as sidemen comes across as a little arrogant to me as well. OTOH maybe it's a financial consideration too, but it definitely reads that way even if not completely disrespecting them.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Things are patched up now, and "the door is open" to Adrian re-joining King Crimson in some fashion. I hope they record together again soon!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Sailor's Tales up for pre-order.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Whoa, didn't expect to see a King Crimson 40th Anniversary series edition of Earthbound to go along with it. But that really HAS to be it for the 40th Anniversary series now, surely? Unless... now that Adrian is back in the fold, they could choose to revisit/remix the Double Duo albums... come to think of it, that might make for a cool box set along with the Eyes Wide Open concerts on Blu-ray and some more ProjekCts live stuff compiled on CD! Maybe just in time for the 50th Anniversary...
    Last edited by botley; 09-07-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Whoa, didn't expect to see a King Crimson 40th Anniversary series edition of Earthbound to go along with it. But that really HAS to be it for the 40th Anniversary series now, surely? Unless... now that Adrian is back in the fold, they could choose to revisit/remix the Double Duo albums... come to think of it, that might make for a cool box set along with the Eyes Wide Open concerts on Blu-ray and some more ProjekCts live stuff compiled on CD! Maybe just in time for the 50th Anniversary...
    FWIW, some rando on the Hoffman forums says Pat Mastelotto is working on re-recording the TCOL drums.

I'd be very sad if it and TPTB were left out of the 40th series. At least give us surround and hi-res!

Perhaps put the two albums together with selections of live material, Eyes Wide Open as you say, etc. and that way it'd grab everyone who likes one, the other, or both. Bit less of a gamble than doing a box for each.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Come to think of it, I do remember there being some talk about that at the Toronto Q&A. I think they were going to call it "ReConstrukCtion of Light", or something? Adding live drums could make a big difference to that album. May not be right for the 40th Anniversary Series, perhaps it would work as more of a companion piece to the original.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    THRAK got a radical remix. I realize that's different from re-recording, but to my mind there's little difference if only one instrument was re-recorded, especially if Pat is thorough and simply offers a better sound rather than a different performance altogether. If so, it'd just sound like they retriggered the original MIDI in a realistic sampler pack (and programmed some velocity...). Y'know?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I do get where you're coming from, @seasonsinthesky — I dug Jakko's remix of THRAK (and the Kensington '95 show that he also mixed, from Bruford's birthday!) on its big box set/40th Anniversary CD+DVD reissue. I would just hope that, like with all the 40th Anniversary sets issued so far, if they re-do ConstrukCtion that we'd also get to have a better cut of the original mix thrown in along with it, for authenticity's sake. Hell, we're apparently even getting a digital transfer of Earthbound from its vinyl pressing on this new box and CD+DVD combo, because I guess people — including me! — loved The Road to Red's mega-in-depth treatment of the USA recordings so much (and Nick Cave, apparently, really loves it on vinyl a lot, heheh)! The Denver Summit Studios '72 live radio session is also getting a multichannel remix! This is truly a great time to be a fan.

But note also I said that the ConstrukCtion album would change even with the ADDITION of live drums, not the subtraction of original sounds. Where Jakko's remix really shined (and also Steven Wilson's mixes did, for similar reason on the older back catalogue) was where he shed more light on what was already there; he did not have to do any replacing to it. Remixing can be great, or it can go badly; adding new parts is a whole different ballgame, and replacement of sounds can be even more extreme if done incorrectly. I guess, because they're Pat's parts in the first place, he totally should get final say as to whether they ought to be replaced and how best to do that. But again, purely for authenticity, why don't we just reproduce the original mix along with it?

Was there a 30th Anniversary remaster for ConstrukCtion already? I know it was reissued on a Japanese HDCD release and even on iTunes since the band disentangled itself from Virgin Records (cf. just a bit of Fripp's haggling with them, posted on his diary), but I'm not sure what sources they used for these reissues. Glenn Meadows mastered the original CD, and surely they just touched up his existing master a bit, rather than re-assembling all the mix sessions from scratch as they did for the 30th Anniversary series of CDs.
    Last edited by botley; 09-07-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I wonder if Elton John's audition will be on the new box set.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I wonder if Elton John's audition will be on the new box set.
    HOLY SHIT, that's a good fucking question. I thought Fripp changed his mind before they actually had him in the studio? That's what he wrote in the Young Person's Guide booklet anyway, that they cancelled the studio session for Elton to sing on the Poseidon tracks because Fripp didn't like his debut album. Maybe there's actually been a tape of Elton singing "Pictures of a City", or some shit like that, hidden away in a dusty cupboard for all these years. How wild would that be?? Bryan Ferry was apparently also on the list of lead singers they auditioned...
    Last edited by botley; 09-07-2017 at 07:28 PM.