Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How old are you currently 2.0

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

How old are you currently 2.0

I know we've done this before on the new ETS, but it's been a few years.
    I thought it would be fun to do it again, especially with all the new members. And I feel like we could use a light hearted topic with all the God awful shit going on in the world.

Oh, and an optional secondary question: at what age did you get in to NIN?

As for me, I am 37 going on dead. And I've been obsessed with NIN since broken came out when I was 12. That's a fucking quarter of a century and I don't know where all the time went.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    22 as of last week, found NIN in 2010 and gradually worked my way into the discography over the next year or so.

I will say though as I got older I started appreciating more and more about NIN, especially in the last few years.
    Last edited by Disassociative; 10-23-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    No new tale to tell, twenty years on my way to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

Oh, and an optional secondary question: at what age did you get in to NIN?
    Damn, it must be a year or something, I think it was around David Bowie's death, I didn't lsiten to much music back then, I was too focused on my other problems to even properly discover music.

I got into David Bowie before he died, into singles and stuff, but I wanted to explore further, but I sadly never got the option, but I loved his music from what I've heard.
    Then Blackstar was released, I said to myself, screw it, this is the best chance to listen to entire Bowie album, I was impressed.
    And then Bowie passed away few days later, I was honestly shocked, Lazarus video then came out, I was very saddened yet also very impressed with what Bowie has done.

I started researching more into Bowie, and I found him and Trent covering "Hurt", I thought to myself that this Trent guy must be pretty fucking awesome that Bowie would cover his song. So I went deeper into NIN discography.

My first album was The Downward Spiral, it was super hard to get into it, its lyrical content was really something different, it felt raw and different, dirty. It was also my first concept album, I was utterly amazed by the sounds I was hearing and Trent's roaring raw voice was just amazing. I knew that by the point I got to Eraser and Reptile I was in love. They were the things that really drawned me in, they were experimental, weird and different and so fucking raw. I felt connected to the music I never have before by the time the "KILL ME" chant in Eraser turned into static. And I remember being fascinated by "Came Back Haunted" video, due to how expressive, experimental and fucked up it was.

Next album was The Slip, as that one was for free, once again I was met with the same feelings, weird sounds all over the place, loved it, and then suddenly instrumentals, damn, this is weird, and experimental, I like it.

Next albums were With_Teeth, The Fragile and Year Zero, the rest was history.

I think it must have been a year by now, maybe two? It's hard to say. It feels like yesterday.

I definetelly heard NIN years and years before, I remember hearing "Every Day Is The Same" and other hits from With_Teeth, and I remember loving them before as well, but I somehow never dwelved further.
    Last edited by HWB; 10-23-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    36... NIN has been in my life for about 23 of those. Jesus, that's depressing actually seeing it typed out like that haha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Currently 27.

Discovered NIN circa age 10, technically during The Fragile era, but it still took another seven years or so for me to listen to that album, so I guess that means that I've been following NIN since With Teeth era. I guess that makes me feel a bit out of place here after seeing a couple of posts in the Marilyn Manson thread that indicate that most people here have been following NIN since TDS era or before.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Old enough to not have to answer that question, whippersnapper.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

I discovered Nine Inch Nails in 1994 and it became my favorite band instantly. Someone much more talented than me knew what I was feeling and going through and wrote amazing songs about it, which continues to this day.

23 years; much more than half of my life.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    38 and it kind of sucks, but it's better than 48. Didn't really become a mega NIN fan until I was 21, but owned TDS back in the day.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I'm 34. Got into NIN when I was 14, right between TDS and TF. Wow. 20 years. Crazy.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    28. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'd like to think of myself as ageless, though.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I turned thirty-one last week and I feel every minute of it. Learned about NIN around the time I was... uh, 11? Or 12 maybe? So... coming close to twenty years of fandom.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I’m 30, bub.

I first actively listened to some NIN via LimeWire in 2002. Soon after proper exposure I purchased The Fragile at the then-Sam Goody in the Eden Prairie, MN mall. I’ve attended more NIN shows than my age number because I grew to be obsessed with everything NIN. Now it’s all chill. I listen to dad rock. And somehow I still have ETS bookmarked on all my devices (joined in 2003 or 2004). A friend straight up lol’d the fuck out when she discovered that recently. I smiled.
    Last edited by Amaro; 10-23-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Got into NIN around 2008, when I was 24, hearing a snippet of Ghosts played in a short documentary on TV about artists using Creative Commons. Downloaded Ghosts I, it sounded like music to travel to Mars to. I loved it.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    36... NIN has been in my life for about 23 of those. Jesus, that's depressing actually seeing it typed out like that haha
    yeah haha.
    i feel you on that.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm 46.
    I remember seeing NIN videos on the 120mins show on MTV when PHM was released. I bought that album, but it wasn't till I attended a Downward Spiral show in Glasgow in '94 that I really got properly interested. They lost me a bit during the Year Zero era but I was back on board for Ghosts onwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm 26, and became a fan around the 2003 mark, got broadband, got corrupted. im cool with it.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i'll be 37 in a couple weeks. i don't know if i'm a millennial or gen x. something that bothers me, but really shouldn't.

got into nin in '94. i was listening to nothing but janet jackson and paula abdul (still love them both) before a friend in 8th grade traded me tds for the vitology cd i got for christmas. it really freaked me out. like, literally scared me to listen to. i *loved* it.

never really gave a shit about pearl jam.
    Last edited by kel; 10-23-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    34 today, 35 tomorrow. Was fascinated by NIN at around age 12 when I saw the video for Closer. Not scared, just intrigued and weirdly attracted to it. Parents bought me the PHM cd as a gift (13th birthday, maybe?) but I didn't fully dig the vibe. Fell hard for NIN when the Fragile dropped, and never bought a copy of TDS until around 2004. Been a big fan since.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    14/f/cali

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I turned 21 on the 15th of this month, but if you heard my voice/saw me, you wouldn't imagine it was the same person

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'll be 37 in December.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    i'll be 37 in a couple weeks. i don't know if i'm a millennial or gen x. something that bothers me, but really shouldn't.

got into nin in '94. i was listening to nothing but janet jackson and paula abdul (still love them both) before a friend in 8th grade traded me tds for the vitology cd i got for christmas. it really freaked me out. like, literally scared me to listen to. i *loved* it.

never really gave a shit about pearl jam.
    man I know exactly what you mean about not knowing whether we're gen x or millennials and I've actually wasted a lot of time looking into it. It turns out that they've called us Generation Catalano, The Lucky Ones (I think because we grew up both with and without the internet,) Xennials, and The Oregon Trail Generation. Check this out.

Also, I absolutely know what you mean about both being scared by and loving that era of nin. For me it started with the Wish video: it utterly terrified me but I couldn't look away, and then I got broken and couldn't stop listening to it (and of course, the same goes for fixed and the MOTP single and TDS.)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Still younger than @teitan

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm 32....and looking preeeeetty darned good too

I got into Nine Inch Nails around 2000-ish, maybe a tad earlier. Fragile had been out a little while I think

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I don't want to see another few years or so, is how I feel most of the time.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    35. But I'm still young at heart. Observe:

FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME ow my brittle old man hip

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I'll be 37 in a few days.

Got into NIN around 1996 (my brother had PHM and TDS, and some of my high school friends were into NIN on varying levels.)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I turned 21 on the 15th of this month, but if you heard my voice/saw me, you wouldn't imagine it was the same person
    To give an idea how i look., i look like a combo of billy corgan, Trent if he had brown hair circa broken ep.....but with a voice as deep as someone like Peter Steele or Jonny Cash

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    31 and 13

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    39, will be 40 by the end of the year...

got into NIN at 16 when TDS came out and a friend told me I had listen to what was in her headphones...
    Last edited by MrLobster; 10-24-2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: re-did the math and checked the dates...