Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 2035

Thread: Qotsa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    I don't know who sang the first song with the band.
    That would be Jake Shears of

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    mmmm Big Business did the same thing for their latest album but way cooler.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    No Tension Head though? It's Nick's best song!
    Sorry, I just saw this. He did it in his own (opening) set. It's probably on setlists as 13th Floor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Was cool seeing Josh and the rise of Kyuss on Sonic Highways last night....

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Can I remind everybody that ...Like Clockwork was the best album of 2013? Give it a nice Christmas listen again, folks.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad infinitum View Post
    They are playing later this year at Rock in Rio, http://rockinrio.com/rio/line-up/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    That sucks considering all the talk of an immediate follow-up to LC, but on the bright side it looks like Josh is busy on another project...
    https://instagram.com/p/0bN3qEsd8q/?...y=fatherbadass

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Anybody listening to the first episode of Homme's radio broadcast on Apple Music? You can tell he's still feeling things out but he's got some expectedly great music picks and funny commentary. Really dig it so far!

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I really need to check out this album. One of the songs came up today, and I really dug it.

My first exposure to them was at Lolla in 2013, and I just found them pretty boring, so I've never really searched their music out. But I really enjoyed whatever song that was today!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I really need to check out this album. One of the songs came up today, and I really dug it.

My first exposure to them was at Lolla in 2013, and I just found them pretty boring, so I've never really searched their music out. But I really enjoyed whatever song that was today!
    It really is a spectacular album, totally worth the full listen and sit-down with it. There's a bit of backstory on it that might make it more enjoyable but I don't think it's essential at all, it's just a fantastic listen every way around. You're in for a treat, seriously.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Anybody listening to the first episode of Homme's radio broadcast on Apple Music? You can tell he's still feeling things out but he's got some expectedly great music picks and funny commentary. Really dig it so far!
    Listened to it start to finish... Best thing on beats1 I've heard so far. Every song he played was great!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    It really is a spectacular album, totally worth the full listen and sit-down with it. There's a bit of backstory on it that might make it more enjoyable but I don't think it's essential at all, it's just a fantastic listen every way around. You're in for a treat, seriously.
    What do you mean with backstory? I've heard the album (and love it) but haven't heard about this. Care to explain?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    What do you mean with backstory? I've heard the album (and love it) but haven't heard about this. Care to explain?
    In 2010, Homme said he "died" for a short time following unexpected complications during knee surgery due to asphyxiation. He said that he contracted an MRSA infection, which his immune system could not fight due to stress. Doctors eventually used a defibrillator to revive him following the asphyxiation. The experience left him weakened and unable to produce music for almost two years. Following this, he was confined to bed rest for three months and plunged into a deep depression, considering giving up his music career. He has said that this experience greatly contributed to the making of the Queens of the Stone Age album ...Like Clockwork.[ He creditsTranscendental Meditation with helping him recover.
    It's far from being necessary to know that when listening to ...Like Clockwork, but it gives some perspective, and makes the album feel all the more genuine...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Josh Homme was clinically dead on an operating table while getting surgery before being revived, and afterward had a lengthy hospital stay and suffered a deep fog of depression. He's quoted as having said that the music that's always been in his head and drew inspiration from was gone when he woke back up. He had a period of time where he was too weak to even pick up and play with his kids. While making Like Clockwork he basically told the band that they were going to dive fully into that mood and head space. I Appear Missing is by far the most obvious song inspired by this, "Calling all comas . . . shock me awake, tear me apart, pinned like a note in a hospital gown, a prison of sleep, further down the rabbit hole never to be found, it's only falling in love because you hit the ground." Keep Your Eyes Peeled is very depression-tinged, "View from Hell is blew skies, so ominously blue," "Big smile, really a show of teeth," "I know you wouldn't believe that I play as though I'm alright, If life is but a dream, wake me."

I know he detailed a lot of it in his interview with Marc Maron on WTF Podcast, it was a fantastic listen. In general if you listen to the album with that in mind and the whole mindset of depression, death and reawakening, loss of emotional connection to something, and general loss of something intangible it really brings certain things out a lot more. "Buy flash cars, Diamonds rings, Expensive holes to bury things, I'm machine, I'm obsolete in the land of the free lobotomy." "One thing that is clear, it's all downhill from here."

I mean there's definitely some amazing rocking tracks and it's not all exclusively about that, but it's very much inspired by it. I Appear Missing especially became way more impacting for me knowing about it.

Edit: Right after posting this the page updated and it showed that Khrz basically covered it, beat me to it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork

Not QOTSA but I bumped in to this guy after Eagles of Death Metal a week and a half ago...
    Last edited by Scarlet Siren; 07-04-2015 at 07:34 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So I found the first episode of Homme's radio show on YouTube:

However, all my usual tricks for ripping it aren't working on this. If anyone can rip an mp3 of it and PM me a link, I would be very grateful. Thanks!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quick question, are there any acoustic b-sides or cool extras for ...Like Clockwork like the acoustic sessions prior to Era Vulgaris or the b-sides that orbited around it?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    No, nothing extra for Clockwork.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    No, nothing extra for Clockwork.
    Which is/was a shame. lots of good songs for acoustic renditions or remixes.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I'll gladly take that over the blatantly ridiculous number of variations that happened to Era Vulgaris!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Well that's not entirely accurate. There was a 3 track EP called ...Like Cologne featuring live acoustic versions of Vampyre and I Sat by the Ocean, alongside the Long Slow Goodbye.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Here's some QoTSA iPhone 6 wallpapers I made and wanted to share:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6n...ew?usp=sharing

Also, if anyone was looking for old episodes of Josh Homme's radio program, the QoTSA subreddit has done a good job of archiving it if you wanted to catch up.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I searched and could not find an Eagles of Death Metal thread. I don't know how popular EoDM are on ets so I'll just leave this here since its loosely related.

New music video for the Single Complexity:
    http://www.vevo.com/watch/USUMV1500325

Edit: I knew the song sounded similar.
    Seems like Jesse is doing the same thing Josh did for some queens songs. (Rework some dessert sessions songs)
    Its the same song from Boots Electric album Honkey Kong.
    Last edited by ziltoid; 08-27-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Hmm...

10char

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Probably something to do with Rock in Rio

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Hmm...

10char
    Josh records his Alligator Hour for Beats One at Pink Duck. That sentence makes absolutely no sense, but I feel it explains what's going on behind that sign.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Josh records his Alligator Hour for Beats One at Pink Duck. That sentence makes absolutely no sense, but I feel it explains what's going on behind that sign.
    That photo was first posted by Jon a day earlier. So it's probably Rock in Rio rehearsals.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    That photo was first posted by Jon a day earlier. So it's probably Rock in Rio rehearsals.
    Last thing they tweeted also points towards a possible warm-up show in L.A.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Last thing they tweeted also points towards a possible warm-up show in L.A.
    Oh yeah!! Just like two years ago.