Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: St. Vincent

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Nice, she's playing somewhat close to me in KC. I don't know if I'm ready to go to a gig though, however, I'd love to see her live.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Is Daddy's Home worth buying? I have dug about half of every album so far, and enjoyed the first Young Americans era Bowie single. But I didn't see many good reviews once it actually came out. I take it the whole album goes with that flavor?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orson thrust View Post
    Is Daddy's Home worth buying? I have dug about half of every album so far, and enjoyed the first Young Americans era Bowie single. But I didn't see many good reviews once it actually came out. I take it the whole album goes with that flavor?
    I didn't like it at first because I'm not into a lot of 70's music and thought this was a bit of a pastiche, but it grew on me and now I love more than 3/4 of it. If you dig her, you'll dig this.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I would honestly say no. It's got her most easily forgettable songs she's ever written. I've come back to it 3 times since it's release and each time it sounds more boring and lifeless than the last time I tried to listen to it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I would honestly say no. It's got her most easily forgettable songs she's ever written. I've come back to it 3 times since it's release and each time it sounds more boring and lifeless than the last time I tried to listen to it.
    That is disappointing. Seemed like an strange next step from the last album. Overall, her good songs are insanely good and grab me right away (half of each album), but the songs I dislike are really off putting at times. Your lips are red pulled me in and surgeon sealed the deal that this was an artist to pay attention to. She should really push for a TR/AR produced album.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    That is disappointing. Seemed like an strange next step from the last album. Overall, her good songs are insanely good and grab me right away (half of each album), but the songs I dislike are really off putting at times. Your lips are red pulled me in and surgeon sealed the deal that this was an artist to pay attention to. She should really push for a TR/AR produced album.
    After the "Piggy" cover and her little "Heresy" tease but before the announcement of Daddy's Home, I was hoping for the same thing. Upon my first few listens, I only dug "Pay Your Way In Pain", and "Down". But now, it's everything but "Live In The Dream", "My Baby Wants A Baby", and "The Laughing Man". I still like her other albums better, but with a nice set of headphones, you can really get lost in this one.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    shes playing close to me in Paso Robles, but I gotta fly to NYC the morning after at 7 am. so I gotta pass. bummed out tho for sure.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Her show in Vermont tonight was so great. Highly recommend catching this tour if you have a chance. JMJ is the bassist for the band too!

Last edited by otnavuskire; 09-04-2021 at 11:45 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    in all honesty, no. it's a hard break from the direction i would have hoped she'd take. as others have said, it's mostly forgettable.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    That looks really good. Thanks for the heads up. I always find it interesting when artists release something like this, looks like it is from the masseduction time period, but they have moved on to the next thing which looks and sounds completely different. Sort of like the Ziggy movie coming out a decade after he'd ditched the glam act.
    I am digging daddys home, so this feels like a step back in time.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    That looks really good. Thanks for the heads up. I always find it interesting when artists release something like this, looks like it is from the masseduction time period, but they have moved on to the next thing which looks and sounds completely different. Sort of like the Ziggy movie coming out a decade after he'd ditched the glam act.
    I am digging daddys home, so this feels like a step back in time.
    Yeah, this was originally just going to be a tour journal/concert film for the second Masseduction tour, but then Carrie and Annie decided to do something...different. It's a BLAST.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    New Album out in April, new single out today, and holy shit y'all, she finally did it. She finally made a hard rock album, and this shit S L A P S

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Nice!

I saw a screenshot of a playlist that she shared recently, and it was mostly oldschool industrial music.

Anyway, point being, next time I see one of those "What should I listen to if I like Nine Inch Nails" posts on Reddit, this song's going on the list.

It doesn't hurt that the end of this track reminded a bit of the version of Ten Miles High on Fragile Deviations

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    ...and this shit S L A P S
    My god, does it ever!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Nice!

I saw a screenshot of a playlist that she shared recently, and it was mostly oldschool industrial music.

Anyway, point being, next time I see one of those "What should I listen to if I like Nine Inch Nails" posts on Reddit, this song's going on the list.

It doesn't hurt that the end of this track reminded a bit of the version of Ten Miles High on Fragile Deviations
    It sounds so much like NIN that I actually had to look up to see if TR&AR didn't produce the new album in secret.

Now's a great time for Trent to, you know, get the gang back together and go on a co-headlining spring/summer amphitheater tour with Annie

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Goddamn, this song's a fucking banger. I've probably listened to it a dozen times already.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I haven't been a fan of anything of hers since Actor back in 2009, but this slaps. Good track. Hopefully the rest of the album is as good.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    New Album out in April, new single out today, and holy shit y'all, she finally did it. She finally made a hard rock album, and this shit S L A P S

This is pretty damn cool. Definitely not hard rock thankfully.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Heard her interviewed on bbc 6 music. She referenced nin and skinny puppy

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

w/ Dave Grohl on drums (apparently)

And dates: https://ilovestvincent.com/pages/tour-2024

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post

w/ Dave Grohl on drums (apparently)

And dates: https://ilovestvincent.com/pages/tour-2024
    Here for all this. (also JMJ on bass)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    New album gonna be the best thing she's ever made

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    "Big Time Nothing" lyric video

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Listening right now.

“Violent Times” sounds like the theme to a nonexistent James Bond film.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    So the album is pretty hot, for sure. Not quite the industrial stomper that I think some of us were hoping for after the Broken Man video was released, but there's plenty of crunchiness in here. It'll take me a few listens to really get the album's groove, I think, but I'm absolutely looking forward to having this on repeat for awhile.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caca View Post
    “Violent Times” sounds like the theme to a nonexistent James Bond film.
    The vocal line during the verses on that one reminds me so much of Firewater for some reason; specifically eg: Paradise, from The Golden Hour. Was just constantly distracted throughout that song! Entirely coincidental, I'm sure; it doesn't even match exactly from that song. I just kept on getting dragged mentally out of the song. A weird sort of cognitive dissonance!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    Not quite the industrial stomper that I think some of us were hoping for after the Broken Man video was released, but there's plenty of crunchiness in here.
    My thoughts exactly but it still rips. Gonna listen to this a lot.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    So the album is pretty hot, for sure. Not quite the industrial stomper that I think some of us were hoping for after the Broken Man video was released, but there's plenty of crunchiness in here. It'll take me a few listens to really get the album's groove, I think, but I'm absolutely looking forward to having this on repeat for awhile.
    This is pretty much my take as well. I was hoping for something a bit more aggressive, but I'm not disappointed. It's a solid album.