Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC Extended Universe Thread

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I don't think this looks good at all.

The one strong element seems to be Jared Leto performance, despite the shit costuming choices. I will never be on board with those design choices. I'm not a purest, I don't think every character has to channel some former version of itself, but I hate this aesthetic for him. Leto SOUNDS ok though.

Harley Quinn, maybe because her animated incarnations have always been the same thing, with the similar voice, and this channels what I'm saying with the joker, but this actually doesn't feel like Harley Quin except that she's costumed like Harley Quinn. After years where the girls at costume parties I attend almost exclusively attend as Harley Quinn, I can say the costume isn't all it takes. Harley Quinn has a specific kind of crazy, and here she seems more like a sex object than ever. Not the first time and not the last, but that's the direction and humor they are showcasing g here, and aside from being a sexist waste of her live action debut it's also fucking boring.
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 04-11-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is a relief. Trust in David Ayer!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I think the biggest question this trailer brings up is are they just going to continue to use songs from Wayne's World?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    If this song isn't in the next trailer, I can no longer support this movie

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    I think the biggest question this trailer brings up is are they just going to continue to use songs from Wayne's World?
    If they do, are you really going to mind?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    If this song isn't in the next trailer, I can no longer support this movie

I see what you did there.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    If they do, are you really going to mind?
    Not even a little.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Yeah, I could have done without that shot. *eye roll*
    And if I may be so bold, we already have two threads dedicated to the objectification of the genders. A post showing a looped gif of Harley Quinn in her underwear, for the express purpose of showing Harley Quinn in her underwear, doesn't belong in this thread.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    And if I may be so bold, we already have two threads dedicated to the objectification of the genders. A post showing a looped gif of Harley Quinn in her underwear, for the express purpose of showing Harley Quinn in her underwear, doesn't belong in this thread.

Oh boy.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    ...it's definitely pertinent to this particular conversation.

I was watching some Adam West Batman yesterday and I think we need to go back to THAT level of fun, which doesn't even exist in comedies any more. I want to fire up the next Aroham game and it's like "Penguin dropped a giant unbrella on this city block, it doesn't really do anything, wtf are you gonna do about it"

We've reached the farthest other end of the spectrum, isn't it about time we loop back around?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    ........no.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Won't bother linking as it's everywhere, but the Affleck directed solo Batman movie was just confirmed. He apparently has a solid script idea, and is signed on for two JL movies and this, so at least three more times in the cowl.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    ...it's definitely pertinent to this particular conversation.

I was watching some Adam West Batman yesterday and I think we need to go back to THAT level of fun, which doesn't even exist in comedies any more. I want to fire up the next Aroham game and it's like "Penguin dropped a giant unbrella on this city block, it doesn't really do anything, wtf are you gonna do about it"

We've reached the farthest other end of the spectrum, isn't it about time we loop back around?
    LEGO Batman may just be for you (and me and pretty much everyone):

Personally I'm a huge believer in Grant Morrison's outline of Batman in his amazing book Supergods: Batman is every version we've ever seen. Batman is a modern myth, a cultural idea and symbol and it transcends any one single interpretation of it. Batman is 1966 Adam West and Batman is 1943 serial Batman and Batman is silver and bronze and gold and modern age. He's Arkham Asylum and he's the obscure 70's Detective Comics issue no one remembers. There isn't one "perfect" version, it's what all of these versions have combined and blended to be in our minds that makes the character so enduring and compelling. There's room for all of these interpretations and one isn't necessarily any more valid than the other, it's all of those interpretations co-existing and working in-tandem in our heads that creates the character that we all know.

So in that way I'm all for Batlfeck and I'm all for LEGO Batman being around at the same time. I'm all for all of these takes and know that if one doesn't do it for me there's always going to be another that will. It's not a one or the other situation, necessarily, and the fact that it doesn't have to be makes it better.

Also good god I am really pleased to hear the confirmation on Affleck doing his own movie. I would love, love love a Dredd-style single location Arkham Asylum-type movie about Batman in one spot in one night flexing all his literal and metaphorical muscles and getting things done against all odds. In general I feel like there's so many cool places they can go with it and I want to see more of that Batman that the GCPD begrudgingly tolerates and ignores. If we get an Under the Red Hood movie with Death in the Family flashbacks, I might have a vein burst from excitement in my face in the theatre.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 04-13-2016 at 06:58 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Also this.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Yes it does. It's just as relevant of a looped gif of any cool part of the trailer, like the shots of the Joker. If there was a sexy scene of a dude in his underwear in the trailer, it would be relevant here as well.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Ewwwwwwwww.

(Also, lol, at Hollywood actors who think being an asshole on set is being method. Take an improv class and learn to respect the people around you.)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I may have posted this in the Marvel thread, but now that I'm here...not only did the director of The Flash movie drop out...sites across the net say Snyder is at odds with execs over the JL movie, and apparently the director of Aquaman is 'worried' about the state of that film as well. Not the best news...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The guy directing Flash had zero experience directing and was a concern to me so I'm actually if anything glad he's not attached. I just don't see how a first-time director could be right for a big budget sci-fi/action movie.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I may have posted this in the Marvel thread, but now that I'm here...not only did the director of The Flash movie drop out...sites across the net say Snyder is at odds with execs over the JL movie, and apparently the director of Aquaman is 'worried' about the state of that film as well. Not the best news...
    The DC cinematic universe just looks like it was never meant to be.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Really have to take some of these DCCU rumors with a grain of salt after the whole "re-shoots for humor" thing...

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Apparently, the official acronym is actually DCEU, which is short for Detective Comics Expanded Universe.

Kinda makes me wonder if they're planning on tying-in all their movies AND their TV shows with an Infinite Earths/Elseworlds plotline at some point.
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 05-02-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Apparently, the official acronym is actually DCEU, which is short forDetective Comics Expanded Universe.

Kinda makes me wonder if they're planning on tying-in all their movies AND their TV shows with an Infinite Earths/Elseworlds plotline at some point.
    Interesting! Did not know that.

That would make sense given the comments that they're going for a "multi-verse" approach RE: separation of movies vs. TV (i.e. Grant Gustin as TV Flash and Ezra Miller as movie Flash).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    how? unless they change out Snyder (not happening) what will change about the movie, I don't have faith that Affleck's potential choices as a producer will make it to us and past Snyder's poor vision.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Considering that he's a co-executive producer whose Oscar WINS easily outshine Snyder's begrudging NOMINATIONS, I'd say there's a fair chance he'll have a prominent voice in the proceedings.

After all, BvS is widely criticized for its poor storytelling and characterization, both of which are VERY MUCH Affleck's strengths as a filmmaker and his turn as Batman is the ONE thing audiences AREN'T complaining about. Yet Snyder obviously has him outclassed as a BIGTIME movie-maker who knows how to run a set and deliver spectacle. So I think they'll balance each other out PERFECTLY.

If they play this right, Snyder & Affleck could be the Russo bros. of the DCEU.

AND I WOULD FUCKING LOVE TO SEE THAT.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Big and exciting news: Geoff Johns is going to be getting a ton of influence and a leader-type role in the production of the DCCU now:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-warner-895174

They should've had a guy like him in charge in some capacity in the first place and it makes me pretty excited. Knowing he had input in SS also has me looking forward to that even more now.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Apparently , according to a reddit user so take it wth a grain of salt, the ultimate cut has more clark/ superman stuff. And some scenes changed and rearranged to make the movie flow better.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I know people already complain about how long and overstuffed BvS:DoJ was as it is, but I'm actually really excited to see the longer cut.

I like Snyder's Watchmen just fine but the longer version really is much better.

Very cool news about the Geoff Johs promotion, too. When I started watching The Flash I was pleasantly surprised to see his name in the credits and then it finally made sense how the show managed to be so good despite the handicap of its CW actors and all that.

Speaking of which, it never ceases to crack me up when people lament the DCEU not simply folding the CW shows into the movieverse. Say what you will about the acting in the movies but it stands head and shoulders above the acting in the tv shows, lol. Most of those actors simply ARE NOT ready for the big leagues and likely never will be.