Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Music Appreciation Thread

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    You are right about Van Halen being the godfather of cock-rock (along with KISS and maybe Def Leppard) and they did provide the blueprint for a lot of crappy bands. That doesn't lessen their legacy though. They made six classic albums with at least 20 songs that are classic rock staples, instantly recognizable to millions of fans. There is a world of difference between "Jamie's Cryin" and "The Final countdown." If you want to blame Van Halen for Trixter then you will also have to blame Pearl Jam for Creed and Nirvana for a lot of crappy bands that came out in the 90s/00s. A lot of punk/alt. rockers of the 80s/90s also grew up on Van Halen and Van Halen were the band that got them to pick up a guitar. The Minuteman have covered Van Halen, Pearl Jam have played "Ain't Talken 'Bout Love" a few times. Henry rollins is huge fan. What bands other than cock rockers of the 80s were impacted by Van Halen?

As for the Pumpkins, I'm a huge fan of Zeitgeist, although I know a lot of people didn't care for it. I also have no problem with BC using the Pumpkins name, as he was their lead singer/guitar player, wrote almost all of their songs, played most of the parts on the albums, etc.
    Dude, Van Halen are just as much responsible for Creed as Pearl Jam are, Van Halen are responsible for bands like Nickelback or Three Days Grace as they are for 80's cock rock. And thorugh that 80's cock rock, influenced by Van Halen, made it okay for the butt rock bands we have now. It's a cycle, a vicious, never ending cycle. I don't even like Nirvana at all, in fact I hate them, but I'm willing to admit because of Pearl Jam, we got crap like Collective Soul and Live and Creed, but at least Pearl Jam had substance, and evolved into a great rock band and completely dominated a decade and still maintain a level of relevancy that their peers and ripoffs never maintained. Hell, Nine Inch Nails made it okay for Gravity Kills, Stabbing Westward, and later on Linkin Park to cash in, but the difference between NIN with Pearl Jam against Van Halen, is that those two bands wrote meaningful, thought-provoking music, Van Halen is anything but.

Pumpkins wise, while Billy may be the sole songwriter and play parts, you'd be silly to deny that Jimmy or James or D'Arcy didn't have any say into the input, they were equally vital to the success of the band and I'm sure influenced Billy's songwriting more than the hired guns he takes on tour.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I remember Pitchfork placed Van Halen on their 1970s list. http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-...f-the-1970s/3/ It's not way up there, but it is ranked higher than Ziggy Stardust, Raw Power, Physical Graffiti, After the Gold Rush, All Things Must Pass...

Does this mean Rhett and Charlamagne can find away to get along??!!?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I don't hear a lot of Van Halen in Nickelback, but I do hear Pearl Jam. But so what? A lot of groundbreaking bands spawned a lot of knock-offs. My point is that you cannot blame A for spawning B if you don't like B. As for those pictures, the point was to show the positive impact Van Halen had. You asked what their impact was other than creating cock-rock, and my answer is that a lot of non-cock rockers grew up on them. You're a big PJ fan? Good, me too. Maybe Jeff and Mike wouldn't be the people that they are today if it wasn't for VH.

...the difference between NIN with Pearl Jam against Van Halen, is that those two bands wrote meaningful, thought-provoking music, Van Halen is anything but.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but I do not agree. David Lee Roth is not Bob Dylan, but a lot of his lyrics are quite clever, even if they are not "thought provoking." And to the generation of kids who listened to Van Halen in high school and wrote the =VH= logo on their notebooks, and went to shows and was the soundtrack of their youth, Van Halen's music held meaning. In 30 years I doubt that the people who bought Nicelback albums will still care.

I would also argue that Van Halen are about as "relevant" today as Pearl Jam. Both bands are well past their prime in terms of popularity, but they can both still sell albums in the 500k range and pack in the arenas.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post

Pumpkins wise, while Billy may be the sole songwriter and play parts, you'd be silly to deny that Jimmy or James or D'Arcy didn't have any say into the input, they were equally vital to the success of the band and I'm sure influenced Billy's songwriting more than the hired guns he takes on tour.
    They probably had some impact, much like Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell had an impact on the Jimi Hendrix Experience, but it was still the Jimi show, much like the Pumpkins has always been Billy's baby. Billy Corgan deserves the lion's share of credit for the band's rise to stardom.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-23-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    if you guys seriously need two pages to argue what is, in essence, a matter of opinion and taste, would you guys take it to the shit on music or controversial music opinions thread instead? thx.

EDIT: i'll make it easier for you to find them:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...kelback-Thread)
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...Music-Opinions
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 12-23-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    if you guys seriously need two pages to argue what is, in essence, a matter of opinion and taste, would you guys take it to the shit on music or controversial music opinions thread instead? thx.

Sorry for my participation in derailing this thread.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post

Oh fuck off, nobody is forcing you to read it.
    As for Pitchfork liking Van Halen, who cares? They love Fiona Apple and she's boring as shit. Just because you associate me with a publication, doesn't mean I agree with it 100% of the time, or sles I'd be creaming my pants over how fantastic the new MIA album is. But fuck it, let's just all jerk off and talk about how excited we are about a new Manson album or Tool LP, real fucking rock music!!!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    ^Dude I don't understand why you're so intense about this stuff. I personally think Rhett's taste in music is kinda lame, but whatever, he likes what he likes. He's a product of his time. Why are you "calling people out" on shit, like your the music cop around here? My Grandpa is 70 years old and he still only listens to old-school rock'n'roll dudes from the late 50s and early 60s, like Little Richard and Bo Diddley. He thinks nothing after that era has any soul. Maybe I should be like "Hey Grandpa!! I am gonna fucking CALL. YOU. OUT on how CLOSE MINDED you are!!!!" What's the point of getting weirdly confrontational and obnoxious with people?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Let's not argue! We clearly suck at it. For a year with so much good music, let's just recommend stuff, eh?

I'm still going through lists and I'm finding some amazing shit. Not gonna lie, I get frustrated when people can't "get" my own top choices, but this year is broadening my horizons quite a bit so far. The only thing that pisses me off is when I miss an album that came out in January.

(It's why I can't make a list to save my life right now.)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Finally listened to the Mavis Staples album all the way through, and it is really good. An awesomely modern sounding take on classic gospel blues with Jeff Tweedy apparently heading the production. The song "Jesus Wept" really stands out for me. Not sure if it'd make my top ten list, but I'm surprised by how much I liked it.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Ok, here's my updated list:

1. Steven Wilson - "The Raven that refused to sing"
    2. Queens of the Stone Age – "…Like Clockwork"
    3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – "Push the Sky Away"
    4. Jim James - "Regions of light and sound of God"
    5. How to destroy Angels - "Welcome to Oblivion"
    6. Arcade Fire - "Reflektor"
    7. David Bowie – "The Next Day"
    8. My Bloody Valentine - "MBV"
    9. The Knife - "Shakin' the Habitual"
    10. Mogwai - "Les Revenants OST"

11. Daft Punk – "Random Access Memories"
    12. NIN - "Hesitation Marks"
    13. Arctic Monkeys – "AM"
    14. Boards of Canada - "Tomorrow’s Harvest"
    15. Wire - "Change becomes us"
    16. Deafheaven - "Sunbather"
    17. Pearl Jam - "Lightning Bolt"
    18. White Lies - "Big TV"
    19. V.A. - "Sound City: Real to Reel"
    20. Sigur Ros- "Kveikur"
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 12-27-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Rise of the third Army

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    ^Dude I don't understand why you're so intense about this stuff. I personally think Rhett's taste in music is kinda lame, but whatever, he likes what he likes. He's a product of his time. Why are you "calling people out" on shit, like your the music cop around here? My Grandpa is 70 years old and he still only listens to old-school rock'n'roll dudes from the late 50s and early 60s, like Little Richard and Bo Diddley. He thinks nothing after that era has any soul. Maybe I should be like "Hey Grandpa!! I am gonna fucking CALL. YOU. OUT on how CLOSE MINDED you are!!!!" What's the point of getting weirdly confrontational and obnoxious with people?
    You're comparing Bo Didley to Van Halen?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Finally listened to the Mavis Staples album all the way through, and it is really good. An awesomely modern sounding take on classic gospel blues with Jeff Tweedy apparently heading the production. The song "Jesus Wept" really stands out for me. Not sure if it'd make my top ten list, but I'm surprised by how much I liked it.
    I'd recommend her album with Tweedy she did back in 2010, more on the rock side of it, but her voice still sounds amazing with the material helmed by Jeff.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Just listened to the Steve Gunn album "Time Off," and I like it (sometimes I like it a lot), but that first song is awesome.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kid charlemagne View Post
    you're comparing bo didley to van halen?
    lol!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I thought this was the 2013 Music Appreciation Thread, not the Shitty Music or Controversial Opinions thread. The last two pages indicate otherwise.

-

The Next Day - David Bowie
    Hesitation Marks - Nine Inch Nails
    One of Us is the Killer - The Dillinger Escape Plan
    ...Like Clockwork - Queens of the Stone Age
    The Dixie Dead - Wednesday 13
    Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor - Rob Zombie
    Weapon - Skinny Puppy
    Echogenetic - Front Line Assembly
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
    Mosquito - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    When Evil Speaks - Suicide Commando
    Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) - Gary Numan

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I thought this was the 2013 Music Appreciation Thread, not the Shitty Music or Controversial Opinions thread.
    It's not, that's why people have already instructed those people to go elsewhere.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    just when i thought i had finished for the year, i found out that his name is alive released two records this year, with as little fanfare as possible (even for them). one is a classically informed reading of their classic home is in your head done almost entirely on strings and the other is an excellent kraut/kosmiche inspired ambient disc entitled dragons look out your window. even though i would prefer a proper full length with vocals (2010's the eclipse is just as good as anything they released on 4ad in the 90s), i'm enjoying both into the late hours...

also grabbed the haxan cloak record and it seems up my alley so far...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I completely forgot that One of Us is the Killer was this year..
    It truly has been a pretty magical one for new music, hasn't it!?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I thought this was the 2013 Music Appreciation Thread, not the Shitty Music or Controversial Opinions thread. The last two pages indicate otherwise.

-

The Next Day - David Bowie
    Hesitation Marks - Nine Inch Nails
    One of Us is the Killer - The Dillinger Escape Plan
    ...Like Clockwork - Queens of the Stone Age
    The Dixie Dead - Wednesday 13
    Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor - Rob Zombie
    Weapon - Skinny Puppy
    Echogenetic - Front Line Assembly
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
    Mosquito - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    When Evil Speaks - Suicide Commando
    Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) - Gary Numan
    Not many people seem to mention Rob Zombie's album but I thought it was excellent myself.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    "Defcon 5... 4... 3... 2... 1" by Man or Astroman is the best sci-fi themed nerd-surf rock album of the year.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Merry Christmas to everyone!

Here is my new updated best of 2013 list:

1. Disclosure - Settle (the Random Access Memories destroyer)
    2. Queens Of The Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
    3. Eminem - MMLP2
    4. Future Of The Left - How To Stop Your Brain In An Accident
    5. Nils Frahm - Spaces
    6. R. Kelly - Black Panties
    7. Alice In Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
    8. Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus
    9. Boards Of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    "Defcon 5... 4... 3... 2... 1" by Man or Astroman is the best sci-fi themed nerd-surf rock album of the year.
    sci-fi themed nerd-surf rock... that sounds awesome!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My Favorite Albums of the Year:

Honorable Mentions:

FIFA 14 and GTA 5 soundtracks
    The Flaming Lips- The Terror
    David Bowie- The Next Day
    Queens of The Stone Age- ....Like Clockwork

Top 5:
    5. NIN- Hesitation Marks: Best Thing by Trent, for me at least, since With Teeth.

4. Deltron 3030- Event II

3. Marnie- Crystal World: Sure Helen doesn't stray too far from the "Ladytron" sound with her debut album (not surprisingly with Daniel Hunt doing production) but I think what shines on this album are her song writing and Vocals. Fave tracks: The Hunter, We are the Sea, Laura and Submariner.

2. Moderat- II: This could have easily been my number one. IMO together and separately (Modeselektor [more so] & Apparat) are the one of the best things going on in electronic music. I believe unlike the first album Sascha handles all vocals (99% sure) which are in something like 4 songs. A lot more spacious and ambient than the first album. Favorite tracks: Gita, Therapy, Bad Kingdom

Daft Punk- Random Access Memories: "Hold on, if love is the answer you're home" Enough said. I just love this album from start to finish.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    I kind of share the same sentiment. Pitchfork's list was really vanilla this year. Vampire Weekend is okay, but I do feel they are pretty vanilla also. But I have to disagree with you that rock music is lame today. There is so much good stuff out there.
    Perhaps because Pitchfork is really vanilla.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Best reissue of 2013 goes to Nirvana's In Utero. I can't believe it's been 20 years. I remember seeing it at Tower Records the week it came out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    No Joy - Wait to Pleasure was my favorite guitar album of the year. Dreamy.

On the electronic front, although he did not release any albums, Citizen, is probably my favorite new artist. If J Dilla made house music it would sound like his material, his mixes were mindblowing, best new DJ in Europe hands down, Something very special about the music and mixes he did put out this year, dark, melancholic, sexy, immersive deep house. Be nice if he was became as big as Disclosure next year with his debut album.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Best reissue of 2013 goes to Nirvana's In Utero. I can't believe it's been 20 years. I remember seeing it at Tower Records the week it came out.
    I hated the "remastering" in my opinion the record already had a perfect sound, yet the reissue was really necessary and i'm glad they included the B-sides

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The 2013 mixes are pretty cool too.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Last minute discovery: Recur by Emptyset. Noisy, abstract, rhythmic minimal electronic mindfuckery.