Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Music Appreciation Thread

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    You are profoundly ignorant, hostile and immature.
    Seriously? This is all you have? You're not even on topic anymore. YOU'RE the one who slagged off on a band for who you probably haven't heard anything off their new album, only to proceed with pining for a return of "rock", to which your list includes some of the most trite, uninspired and generic "rock" music has offered in ages. Then when someone tells you how wrong you are, because there's obviously a lot of great music you haven't been exposed to, you get defensive because Van Halen fucking rules dude, and you like music about partying and getting wasted and yelling at your parents, and music just hasn't been the same since 1983 bro. There's been some bad lists on here, and there's been more good to outweigh that, but someone who refuses to go with the times and trashes new music when he hasn't even heard or entertained or even searched for some of the great music all around us is completely idiotic on your part. I'm sorry, but everything you've posted about new music sucking and "where are the real rock bands?" is seriously the most ignorant thing said in this entire thread.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    You can like Vampire Weekend if you want. You are the one that attacked me for expressing a point of view. Yes I heard the vampire weekend CD.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-23-2013 at 02:53 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    You can like Vampire Weekend if you want. You are the one that attacked me for expressing a point off view.
    Yeah, one that sucked and was backed up with a list of music that nobody cares about, and for good reason. Tell me, how excited are you for the new Motley Crue and Buckcherry albums?

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Can't we all just get along, and agree that both Van Halen and Vampire Weekend suck?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Chvurches--The Bones of What You Believe
    Nine Inch Nails--Hesitation Marks
    AFI--Burials
    How To Destroy Angels--Welcome Oblivion
    The Joy Formidable--Wolf's Law
    Gary Numan--Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)
    Queens of the Stone Age--...Like Clockwork
    Skinny Puppy--Weapon
    David Bowie--The Next Day
    Childish Gambino--Because the internet

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    How is it? New Town Velocity is my #3 song for 2013. I wanted the whole album to be like New Town Velocity, but after hearing clips of the rest of the album, nothing sounded like the song.
    Originally I blew it off but after a few more listens and seeing him live to have it really clicked with me. I like it and I came in without comparing his earlier material or even the Smiths.

Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    i don't think it's black metal at all. To me, black metal is as much about the image as it is the music, and the content has to match that image. Deafheaven simply took that sort of sound and went a completely different direction with it. Sunbather is a breath of fresh air in a style of music that's been floundering for over a decade. They stand out among a sea of face-painted imitators.
    Yeah.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    i don't think it's black metal at all. To me, black metal is as much about the image as it is the music, and the content has to match that image. Deafheaven simply took that sort of sound and went a completely different direction with it. Sunbather is a breath of fresh air in a style of music that's been floundering for over a decade. They stand out among a sea of face-painted imitators.
    I like the album, but it hasn't really broken much new ground. It's pretty much a combination of Wolves in the Throne Room (atmosphere, song structure) and Alcest (production, sound, pop sensibilities).

It has successfully integrated a bunch of disparate elements and obviously has massive crossover appeal so I'm fine with it topping every second list, even if I personally reckon the new Altar of Plagues is the year's best BM record.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    This was a spectacular year for new records. Almost my favourite bands dropped albums this year. Here is my top 10 albums of 2013:

1. David Bowie - The Next Day
    2. Ghost - Infestissumam
    3. Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks
    4. Covenant - Leaving Babylon
    5. Puscifer - Donkey Punch The Night
    6. Eminem - MMLP2
    7. Placebo - Loud Like Love
    8. Wumpscut - Madman Szpital
    9. Skinny Puppy - Weapon
    10. Arcade Fire - Reflektor**

And a bonus mention, something I listened alot to, but very little people would appreciate - The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures Video Game Soundtrack. (I love me some 8-bit video game chiptunes).

**Interestingly enough, I was struggling to complete my top 10, and I heard alot of great things about this album. Never really gave this band a chance outside of their core singles, which I thought were decent, but nothing groundbreaking. But this album was on sooo many "best of 2013" lists, so I JUST got around to hearing it maybe... a week ago and instantly fell in love with it. I've had it on constant rotation for the last week, so I found my number 10 spot with less than 2 weeks of 2013 left.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Year's top 12 records per FourthEye poll

10-12 (tie):
    Palms - s/t
    Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer
    Clutch - Earth Rocker

Sigur Ros - Kveikur

Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt

Volto! - Incitare

Karnivool - Asymmetry

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)

Black Sabbath - 13

Alice In Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

NIN - HM

QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Seriously? This is all you have? You're not even on topic anymore. YOU'RE the one who slagged off on a band for who you probably haven't heard anything off their new album, only to proceed with pining for a return of "rock", to which your list includes some of the most trite, uninspired and generic "rock" music has offered in ages. Then when someone tells you how wrong you are, because there's obviously a lot of great music you haven't been exposed to, you get defensive because Van Halen fucking rules dude, and you like music about partying and getting wasted and yelling at your parents, and music just hasn't been the same since 1983 bro. There's been some bad lists on here, and there's been more good to outweigh that, but someone who refuses to go with the times and trashes new music when he hasn't even heard or entertained or even searched for some of the great music all around us is completely idiotic on your part. I'm sorry, but everything you've posted about new music sucking and "where are the real rock bands?" is seriously the most ignorant thing said in this entire thread.
    Real mature, "bro." How many albums on my top 20 list have you actually listened to? Not one album that I listed on my 2013 list is about "partying and getting wasted and yelling at your parents." Iggy was never about, nor was Hendrix, The Smashing Pumpkins, AIC, NIN, Black Sabbath or Filter. Van Halen was never about that either. I think that you might be confusing Van Halen with the Beastie Boys or the Fresh Prince, circa 1987. And yes, I have listened to the Vampire Weekend CD front-to-back and don't really care for it. As for being "defensive"...take a look in the mirror. As for my list being filled with music that is "trite, uninspired and generic," which albums were you referring to?

I'm older than you by a decade and set in my ways about what I like. I have tried to be open-minded and the truth is, I don't care for too many bands that formed after the early 90s and I don't care for hipster Pitchfork kind of music. Call me close minded, but at least I'm up front with it.

BTW, Van Halen have generations of fans, have sold millions of albums and inspired countless musicians. There are maybe a dozen Van Halen songs that are classic rock staples. In 30 years, let's see how many people still care about Vampire Weekend...
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-23-2013 at 05:35 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    By rave reviews, I hope you know that means jackshit, especially considering how much of a shite band VH are in the first place. As for that Filter album, I have heard it, and I can honestly say "Surprise" may indeed be the worst goddamn song I've heard all year, and I've sorted through a lot of shit. I'll let you get back to reading Rolling Stone to find the latest trends. I'm sorry, but your list is fucking awful compared to most of the great recommendations found in this thread.
    Okay, we obviously aren't on the same page here. If you think that Van Halen are "shite" and think that Vampire Weekend are great then...whatever. I also love "Surprise." De gustibus non est disputandum. And I doubt that you even listened to most of the albums that I had on my list. You accuse me of being closed-minded, but have you even listened to the last Deep Purple, Iggy and the Stooges, etc?

I don't really understand what you mean about Rolling Stone and following trends. If I cared about that, I'd be the one raving about Vampire Weekend.

Yeah, one that sucked and was backed up with a list of music that nobody cares about, and for good reason. Tell me, how excited are you for the new Motley Crue and Buckcherry albums?
    I care about the music on my list and there are Filter, Hendrix, QOTSA, Queensryche, Sabbath, etc. fans who would like my list too. I said that Hesitation Marks was my favorite album of 2013 and since this is a NIN message board, I would think that other people on this board care about it too. To answer your question, I'm not a huge Buckcherry fan (they seem like GN'R-lite) and would welcome a new Crue album, although I didn't really like their last album.

Last edited by GulDukat; 12-23-2013 at 06:13 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    since we're talking ballsy rock, I'd recommend the following:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Some good stuff. I especially liked the first one, has kind of a 90s feel.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Future of the Left is a great album.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    YES! I don't really like Vampire Weekend (not that I think they're awful, I've heard the first two albums...just not a style I'm interested in at the moment) but I agree that "a return of rock" by imitating bands of the past is ridiculous. There are artists out there now pushing the genre forward without being boring replicas. Jay Reatard, Tame Impala, Deerhunter, Ty Segall, Black Lips, Thee Oh Sees, White Fence, etc. are some of the more "trendy" bands keeping rock n roll alive. There's tons of stuff out there. You just have to dig.
    I'm not saying that I want modern bands to imitate bands of the past. What I meant was, there aren't really any bands from the 00s+ that I really like. I came of age in the 1990s and it was just a great time for music (AIC, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, The Smashing Pumpkins, etc.) There's nothing remotely that good now that I've heard. Jack White was the "great guitar hero" of the 00s and I thought that his music was very bland. I listened to some of the stuff that you wrote in your post and thought that some of it was pretty good, just not so good that I'd want to buy their albums.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-23-2013 at 05:54 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Real mature, "bro." How many albums on my top 20 list have you actually listened to? Not one album that I listed on my 2013 list is about "partying and getting wasted and yelling at your parents." Iggy was never about, nor was Hendrix, The Smashing Pumpkins, AIC, NIN, Black Sabbath or Filter. Van Halen was never about that either. I think that you might be confusing Van Halen with the Beastie Boys or the Fresh Prince, circa 1987. And yes, I have listened to the Vampire Weekend CD front-to-back and don't really care for it. As for being "defensive"...take a look in the mirror. As for my list being filled with music that is "trite, uninspired and generic," which albums were you referring to?

I'm older than you by a decade and set in my ways about what I like. I have tried to be open-minded and the truth is, I don't care for too many bands that formed after the early 90s and I don't care for hipster Pitchfork kind of music. Call me close minded, but at least I'm up front with it.
    BTW, Van Halen have generations of fans, have sold millions of albums and inspired countless musicians. There are maybe a dozen Van Halen songs that are classic rock staples. In 30 years, let's see how many people still care about Vampire Weekend...
    You're seriously talking about how Iggy Pop hasn't sung about"teenage themes"? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? The Stooges were all about angst when they first appeared, but that new album is hardly anything to be proud of, seriously, listen to "DD's" which is the most ridiculously bad song ever, and not even ironically, I'm ssurprised Iggy didn't mention he went to the David Lee Roth school of songwriting on that one. And Van Halen aren't about having a good time either? This is the same band that wrote "Hot for Teacher", at this point, I'm just starting to think you like to put yourself in a corner for whatever reason.

And being "close minded" isn't something to be proud of, especially if you're the one calling me ignorant. It's not about liking hipster Pitchfork music, it's about discovering things and not being tied to a certain era and not progressing, something which seems like is a real task for you. I have many friends that write for different websites and magazines that wouldn't be considered Pitchfork, that are probably as old as you that love classic rock but still make an attempt to indulge in finding new music. but most of all, I take my reccomendations from here or from people I know on here. Stay close minded all you want, but don't call me ignorant and come out as open minded and expect everything to be fine.

But don't even try the "let's see if Vampire Weekend" can stand the test of time" bit. You're trying to back up your claim with Van Halen after all, a band who's a perpetual joke and punchline to everyone with a functioning brain. Just because "Jump" is on classic rock radio every goddamn day, doesn't mean it's good. By this knowledge, I bet you think "Don't Stop Believing" is rad and Journey are awesome because they sold so many albums and hits for days. so does this mean Pavement suck because I've never heard them on the radio? Popularity means nothing, you should know better than this. This isn't even about Vampire Wekkend anymore, this is about how you're saying "there's no good music left", backing it up with a list of albums from washed up artists, calling yourself and admitting your closeminded, and trying to defend, making this one of thoe most ridiculous and borderline trolling moments I've witnessed on the board.
    Okay, we obviously aren't on the same page here. If you think that Van Halen are "shite" and think that Vampire Weekend are great then...whatever. I also love "Surprise." De gustibus non est disputandum. And I doubt that you even listened to most of the albums that I had on my list. You accuse me of being closed-minded, but have you even listened to the last Deep Purple, Iggy and the Stooges, etc?
    I don't really understand what you mean about Rolling Stone and following trends. If I cared about that, I'd be the one raving about Vampire Weekend.

I care about the music on my list and there are Filter, Hendrix, QOTSA, Queensryche, Sabbath, etc. fans who would like my list too. I said that Hesitation Marks was my favorite album of 2013 and since this is a NIN message board, I would think that other people on this board care about it too. To answer your question, I'm not a huge Buckcherry fan (they seem like GN'R-lite) and would welcome a new Crue album, although I didn't really like their last album.
    Rolling Stone was a bad example, I should've said Guitar World, since they have their heads in the sand about new music as much as you do apparently. But my las question about Buckcherry and Crue was rhetorical, but I've yet to meet or see one person on this board who even gives a rat's ass about Queensryche, do they even have a fucking thread? Nevermind, don't answer that question either.
    Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 12-23-2013 at 06:26 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just a few points:

-I'll admit that I am closed-minded, as I like mostly guitar-rock from the late 60s to the mid 90s. It's not something that I'm proud of or ashamed of, it just is. You are very closed minded and dismissive about the music that I like. i.e., "who gives a fuck about Queensyche." There aren't too many rock bands of the 00s+ that I'm really that into. I don't see any band out there being the next Doors, Aerosmith, etc. That was my original point that you took such offense to.

"... Van Halen after all, a band who's a perpetual joke and punchline to everyone with a functioning brain..." That comment is just ignorant, full of snobbery and not worthy of a reply. Those first six album are essential to any great rock collection. In the decades to come their songs will still get a lot of radio play, they have a legacy. In 30 years kids will discover their albums and sport their shirts.

-I understood you were asking about those bands rhetorically and answered you anyway.

-I don't know why you are bringing Journey into all of this either. I don't like them.

-At no point did I say that good music=popular music/sales. I pointed out that VH sold a lot of albums when I was making a larger point about them having a real legacy.

-Calling the bands that I put on my list "washed up" is a nice way to dismiss their music without actually offering any real criticism.

-A lot of Van Halen's songs are about "having a good time." So what? Many of DLR's lyrics are quite clever.

Now, if I offended you because I said that I didn't like Vampire Weekend, and you took that as a personal attack, then I truly am sorry. I didn't mean to attack anyone specifically or imply that their fans are stupid (as you have done with Van Halen). I was merely venting because I feel as though there aren't any great rock bands out today, I didn't mean to upset anyone. I'm hoping that we can end this now.

Last edited by GulDukat; 12-23-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Aerosmith is seriously one of the most overrated bands of all time. Also, THE WORST. Much worse than VH. In fairness, though, Kid Charlemagne's list looks like it was copied and pasted from Tries Too Hard magazine.
    Last edited by Swykk; 12-23-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Their first several albums are great, but they kind of lost me after Pump.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    though, Kid Charlemagne's list looks like it was copied and pasted from Tries Too Hard magazine.
    I'd rather try too hard than to put no thought into it, which appears you've done.

Rhett, you didn't offend me when you attacked Vampire Weekend, if that were the case, I would've been dragging your name in the mud along with Jinsai and a few other people here. I called you out because I think you have one dimensional thinking when it comes to what "rock" music is supposed to be. It's evolved and changed, but there's still plenty of bands out there carrying on some kind of rock and roll spirit. Instead you've chosen to kind of be in this time warp where rock bands have to fill arenas and put on a whole dog and pony show where the over the top theatrics are on par with the over the top music. Soundgarden and Pearl Jam are two of my favorite bands ever, and I'm even a card carrying member of Pearl Jam's 10 Club, but even I can admit that they haven't put a good album out since 2006, and a great album since Binaural...maybe even Yield if you want to be picky about it.

You may like Van Halen, and that's fine, because plenty of people do, but that doesn't mean they're in any way great. They are not a Zeppelin or a Who, rather a band who were great for their time but when it all comes down to it, are just another big dumb rock band lacking any substance. My point about Journey is that selling a lot of records doesn't mean there's a huge legacy or anything to be proud about. Hootie and the Blowfish should a shitload of records in the mid 90's, but does that mean they're legends? Of course not. Meanwhile, a band like Television hardly moved any units, and they're essential to 75% of the artists mentioned on this board on any given day.

I called those bands on your list washed up because that's all there is to it. AiC aren't AiC anymore, same goes for Queensryche, Deep Purple, and Smashing Pumpkins, the latter two having big legacies already but keep releasing music under their respective monikers for a cash grab despite the material not living up to the standards they set when they began.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Kid Charlemagne- I actually don't think that rock bands have to put on a huge show with a lot of lights, pyro, etc. Some of the best shows that I've seen have been club shows--Mudhoney, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Scott Weiland, etc. I also like a lot of 80s/90s alternative rock that wasn't huge--The Replacements, Lone Justice, etc. I've tried to get into new bands, regardless of what rock sub-genre it is and some of it I liked, but there isn't any new band that I'm really crazy about. I understand that rock evolves and changes over time, there just aren't any bands or movements of the 00s+ that I'm all that into.

I completely disagree with your analysis on Van Halen, but whatever. I think that Vampire Weekend blow, so to each his own. Van Halen are one of the greats, IMO. And you are right about album sales, a band doesn't need to sell a lot of albums to have a lasting legacy. Some bands can sell very few albums and make a major impact (VU, Love) and other bands can sell a lot of albums and be forgotten (yes, Hootie). Van Halen is a band that sold a shitload of albums and still made a major impact.

I also have to disagree on the Smashing Pumpkins, Oceania was a great album. And what should it matter if a band is considered "washed-up" by the general, fickle public? That has no bearing on the quality of their music.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Sick burn! I was just busting your balls but here you go--I put more thought into my list in so much that it's mine rather than basically switching around the order of albums hipsters liked most. Sometimes Pitchfork gets it right, like with Chvurches or m83 but most of the time, not so much. I can't take anyone who likes Tyler the Creator, Vampire Weekend, Animal Collective , etc. seriously. I know, I know--you're unique. I've probably never heard of the bands you like. I just don't get it. Carry on.
    Last edited by Swykk; 12-23-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Kid Charlemagne- I actually don't think that rock bands have to put on a huge show with a lot of lights, pyro, etc. Some of the best shows that I've seen have been club shows--Mudhoney, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Scott Weiland, etc. I also like a lot of 80s/90s alternative rock that wasn't huge--The Replacements, Lone Justice, etc. I've tried to get into new bands, regardless of what rock sub-genre it is and some of it I liked, but there isn't any new band that I'm really crazy about. I understand that rock evolves and changes over time, there just aren't any bands or movements of the 00s+ that I'm all that into.
    I completely disagree with your analysis on Van Halen, but whatever. I think that Vampire Weekend blow, so to each his own. Van Halen are one of the greats, IMO. And you are right about album sales, a band doesn't need to sell a lot of albums to have a lasting legacy. Some bands can sell very few albums and make a major impact (VU, Love) and other bands can sell a lot of albums and be forgotten (yes, Hootie). Van Halen is a band that sold a shitload of albums and still made a major impact.
    I also have to disagree on the Smashing Pumpkins, Oceania was a great album. And what should it matter if a band is considered "washed-up" by the general, fickle public? That has no bearing on the quality of their music.
    I brought up the over the top spectacle bands because I was inclined to agree that those types are what you fear is missing. Aerosmith, Van Halen, KISS, etc., I say it because I'm under the impression that these are the types of bands you want to come back, all came with a over the top swagger that turned a lot of people off despite whether or not the music was good. It was made to look macho and manly to the naked eye, when it's all just dumb, bloated rock, plenty of it part of a production to compensate for the music being very poor.

Van Halen may have had a huge impact, but to whom? They quickly ushered in and broke new ground on the cock rock of the 80's which is probably my least favorite genre. I'm not going to act like the bands that I listen to may or may not loved Van Halen growing up, but if I look at their legacy, and other bands in their like, they paved the way for mindless lyrics sung at the top of their lungs to overdubbed guitars, schreeching solos and over the top bombast, and people became okay with that. I look at Van Halen and I don't say "well, they inspired Deerhunter or Tame Impala or Arctic Monkeys", instead I see their influence in Nickelback, or Creed, or any run of the mill rock band that your local radio station is trying to jam down your throat. Did Van Halen have a major impact? Absolutely, I'd be stupid to say they didn't. Was it a positive impact? For the time being, not at all.

As for Oceania, it's okay, but come on, Billy set the bar so low on Zeitgeist that anything would've been acceptable at this point. Much like a good majority on this board, Smashing Pumpkins were influential to me growing up because they were awesome and introduced to me to a ton of bands I would not have listened to otherwise (I call this the Deftones theory), but Billy releasing half assed albums under the SP name is ridiculous. I don't care whether or not the public considers what you listen to as "washed up", and for all I know, they could, but from my standpoint, you namechecked a large group of bands who have released their best material years, sometimes even decades ago, way past their prime as if it's some sort of consilation prize (much like what Rolling Stone does, and if you don't believe me, they placed the new John Fogherty record in their top 10, and I can say for a fact that it isn't at all deserving. Furthermore, already being touted as washed up and still releasing new albums isn't helping at all. What makes someone who liked the first Filter LP and fell off since Title of Record going to want to come back to the new album, especially since in that time they've released a string of forgettable records. Same for Queensryche, same for Deep Purple. If someone has checked out because of poor quality of material, whay would anyone want to go back?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Sick burn! I was just busting your balls but here you go--I put more thought into my list in so much that it's mine rather than basically switching around the order of albums hipsters liked most. I know, I know--you're unique. I've probably never heard of the bands you like. Carry on.
    And now for the worst kind of troll. Because now your arguement consits of "you just a hipster, blah". Who fucking cares? Seriously a large number of albums listed by others in this thread are featured in Sterogum, Pitchfork, Brooklyn Vegan, Paste, Flavorwire, etc. Go ahead and get out your makeup kit and put on the new AFI record or listen to that turd by Childish Gambino, cuz he's real hip hop man!

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I actually do agree with what you just wrote about "classic rock" and Smashing Pumpkins.
    Last edited by Swykk; 12-23-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    You just did what you're accusing me of--that whole stereotyping thing...but you did it ironically, right? And also kind of proving my point by rattling off some "prestigious" sites Best Ofs.
    Last edited by Swykk; 12-23-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    You just did what you're accusing me of--that whole stereotyping thing...but you did it ironically, right? And kind of proving my point by you rattling off some "prestigious" sites Best Ofs.
    No, like Rhett, I put together a compelling argument, something that our sentence long responses prove you're not capable of doing. I'm not trying to throw any weight around about how one list is better than the other, or that I'm cool because the other sites agree with me. If I'm stereotyping you, it's because you've added nothing to the discussion other than "Aerosmith sucks".

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I like to be concise and not act like a blowhard (try it, sometime). I've never cared whether RS, Spin, AP, Pitchfork, Stereogum, NME or whoever agrees I've made proper music choices and I just enjoy what sounds good to me. You're not arguing as much as you're trying to force feed and shame Rhett.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I like to be concise and not act like a blowhard (try it, sometime). I've never cared whether RS, Spin, AP, Pitchfork, Stereogum, NME or whoever agrees I've made proper music choices and I just enjoy what sounds good to me. You're not arguing as much as you're trying to force feed and shame Rhett.
    I only read two, maybe three music sites regularly, if I was being a blowhard, there sure as hell wouldn't be mentions of Arctic Monkeys or Okkervil River, or a handful of albums on my list that got no love otherwise. I'm not forcing anything upon him, I'm giving my opion and replying to a stance he took regarding "rock" music. You're the one being a blowhard and continuing adding nothing to the conversation outside of "hipster" bashing, a single point that you continue to beat into the ground.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I brought up the over the top spectacle bands because I was inclined to agree that those types are what you fear is missing. Aerosmith, Van Halen, KISS, etc., I say it because I'm under the impression that these are the types of bands you want to come back, all came with a over the top swagger that turned a lot of people off despite whether or not the music was good. It was made to look macho and manly to the naked eye, when it's all just dumb, bloated rock, plenty of it part of a production to compensate for the music being very poor.

Van Halen may have had a huge impact, but to whom? They quickly ushered in and broke new ground on the cock rock of the 80's which is probably my least favorite genre. I'm not going to act like the bands that I listen to may or may not loved Van Halen growing up, but if I look at their legacy, and other bands in their like, they paved the way for mindless lyrics sung at the top of their lungs to overdubbed guitars, schreeching solos and over the top bombast, and people became okay with that. I look at Van Halen and I don't say "well, they inspired Deerhunter or Tame Impala or Arctic Monkeys", instead I see their influence in Nickelback, or Creed, or any run of the mill rock band that your local radio station is trying to jam down your throat. Did Van Halen have a major impact? Absolutely, I'd be stupid to say they didn't. Was it a positive impact? For the time being, not at all.

As for Oceania, it's okay, but come on, Billy set the bar so low on Zeitgeist that anything would've been acceptable at this point. Much like a good majority on this board, Smashing Pumpkins were influential to me growing up because they were awesome and introduced to me to a ton of bands I would not have listened to otherwise (I call this the Deftones theory), but Billy releasing half assed albums under the SP name is ridiculous. I don't care whether or not the public considers what you listen to as "washed up", and for all I know, they could, but from my standpoint, you namechecked a large group of bands who have released their best material years, sometimes even decades ago, way past their prime as if it's some sort of consilation prize (much like what Rolling Stone does, and if you don't believe me, they placed the new John Fogherty record in their top 10, and I can say for a fact that it isn't at all deserving. Furthermore, already being touted as washed up and still releasing new albums isn't helping at all. What makes someone who liked the first Filter LP and fell off since Title of Record going to want to come back to the new album, especially since in that time they've released a string of forgettable records. Same for Queensryche, same for Deep Purple. If someone has checked out because of poor quality of material, whay would anyone want to go back?
    You are right about Van Halen being the godfather of cock-rock (along with KISS and maybe Def Leppard) and they did provide the blueprint for a lot of crappy bands. That doesn't lessen their legacy though. They made six classic albums with at least 20 songs that are classic rock staples, instantly recognizable to millions of fans. There is a world of difference between "Jamie's Cryin" and "The Final countdown." If you want to blame Van Halen for Trixter then you will also have to blame Pearl Jam for Creed and Nirvana for a lot of crappy bands that came out in the 90s/00s. A lot of punk/alt. rockers of the 80s/90s also grew up on Van Halen and Van Halen were the band that got them to pick up a guitar. The Minuteman have covered Van Halen, Pearl Jam have played "Ain't Talken 'Bout Love" a few times. Henry rollins is huge fan. What bands other than cock rockers of the 80s were impacted by Van Halen?

As for the Pumpkins, I'm a huge fan of Zeitgeist, although I know a lot of people didn't care for it. I also have no problem with BC using the Pumpkins name, as he was their lead singer/guitar player, wrote almost all of their songs, played most of the parts on the albums, etc.