Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Flaming Lips

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I liked the band more when they were just being underground and exciting and not hanging around with Smiley Virus.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed their last album, The Terror so will give the new one a listen.
    I think I've totally missed what happened with the whole racism thing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Did someone say The Terror??

"I was depressed for days in a good way."

The first three songs alone, guys. I died.

I <3 The Terror.

\\\

I haven't heard the new single yet, but I'm happy to learn of a new album right around the curve.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    Did someone say The Terror??

"I was depressed for days in a good way."

The first three songs alone, guys. I died.

I <3 The Terror.

\\\

I haven't heard the new single yet, but I'm happy to learn of a new album right around the curve.
    <3 that album so much.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Heads up if anyone is interested, I recently put my copy of Waking Up With A Placebo Headwound up for sale on eBay. Hand numbered, and autographed. Haven't been a fan of these dudes in a while but this book was one of my prized possessions for years. Figure there'll be some Flaming Lips fan out there that would want this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282358897911...84.m1558.l2649

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The Flaming Lips with the Oregon Symphony

On sale now!

The Flaming Lips will perform their iconic 1999 masterpiece The Soft Bulletin in its entirety, joined by the Oregon Symphony. The ever-evolving psychedelic pop-rock group led by legendary front man Wayne Coyne will create an unmissable, moving, and magical experience. The band’s career breakthrough album featured hit singles "Race for the Prize" and "Waitin’ for a Superman." Upon its release, Pitchfork called it "one of those albums people are going to obsess over for many years to come" – which they absolutely did.
    I'm like 90% there.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    New Flaming Lips album this fall!

"American Head" out September 11th. The single released a few weeks ago and today's new song have been great and might be a return to form for those who might have fallen out of love with the group the last few years. I liked Ozcy Mlody fine, but it didn't have a lot of repetition offering. The Terror is immensely underrated.

Lots of good preorder goodies on the store.

Last edited by thefragile_jake; 06-26-2020 at 07:24 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I know I'm going blind but this is a bit much. I see in the promo art a tie dye record but then I don't see it on any of the options under it. Is it already sold out or something?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Holy fuck, that was fast. Yeah, that tye dye record already sold out.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    As I figured, new album should please Lips fans whose favorite eras were the Soft Bulletin up to At War With the Mystics. Album sits right at home in that timeframe, but is more reflective and sad it's in tone.

Lots of personal stories from Wayne's childhood give the album it's "Americana" feel with a lot of "Harvest Moon" era Neil Young vibes and Beatles-esque song writing ... all while still in this weird pysch-indie rock bubble (pun intended) the group is known for. Really, really solid record. I adored The Terror, didn't care much for Ozcy Mlody and thought King's Mouth was fun ... but this is really, really great.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Just bought tickets for the Lips in Seattle. May 4, 2022. Not a bubble show. In a big club & reasonably priced. Hopefully the show & myself will be happening.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Can't wait to see them next April!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    The 20th anniversary box of "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" is fantastic! 6 cds, a poster & a good sized book with Wayne & Steven interviews. I had a lot of the stuff in the box but definitely not everything. It's nice to have it all in one place. I wish they would do something similar with "The Soft Bulletin". "At War With the Mystics" would be good too. The earlier years have been pretty well documented already. I've been a fan for a real long time & have seen them several times. One of the bands I don't miss if they come to town. Steven Drodz is 1 of my favorite musicians. Would love to see what he & Trent/Atticus could cook up. I think Steven could do soundtracks if he put his mind to it. He does keep plenty busy with the Lips though. Anyway, if you're a fan I highly recommend this release. Evidently there's a 5 LP vinyl version coming in 2023 also.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    The 20th anniversary box of "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" is fantastic!
    Thanks for the recommend. Love the Lips - been on the fence about ordering this, will do so now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    made this playlist of tracks off the new box plus a couple i found on youtube. I only ever had the fight test cd along with my original yoshimi with the DVD, so i had heard a couple of these tracks, but putting them all together with these two extras not on the box from a BBC radio session is like a whole companion odyssey. Can't stop listening to this.

1 The Strange Design of Conscience Fight Test US ep
    2 Assassination of the Sun Ego Tripping ep
    3 I'm a Fly in a Sunbeam Ego Tripping ep
    4 Sunship Balloons Ego Tripping ep
    5 If I Go Mad/Funeral in My Head Do You Realize CD1
    6 Syrtis Major Do You Realize CD1
    7 Up Above the Daily Hum Do You Realize CD2
    8 Xanthe Terra Do You Realize CD2
    9 The Deterioration of the Fight or Flight Response Fight Test UK cd1
    10 Yoshimi Becomes a Pink Robot BBC radio youtube rip
    11 Go-Alternate Version Yoshimi box
    12 The Colossal Gray Sunshine BBC radio youtube rip or Faultline album version

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    made this playlist of tracks off the new box plus a couple i found on youtube. I only ever had the fight test cd along with my original yoshimi with the DVD, so i had heard a couple of these tracks, but putting them all together with these two extras not on the box from a BBC radio session is like a whole companion odyssey. Can't stop listening to this.

Up Above the Daily Hum is an amazing song.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Up Above the Daily Hum is an amazing song.
    So much good stuff here. If I Go Mad? oh man. I have a habit of re-organizing and curating big box sets like this into smaller more bite size things i'll actually spin regularly in my digital collection. Think I'll steal the title of that unreleased BBC track and call this companion album "Yoshimi Becomes a Pink Robot." Just feels right.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post

Interesting, I had the majority of the discography but not Xanthe Terra or Syrtis Major. There's some beautiful stuff out there, Sunship Balloons is a favourite of mine.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I just scored tickets for the Lips doing all of "Yoshimi" at the zoo in August. Good venue. The ADA section is awesome but small. It appears the Lips are drawing a line in the sand at $50 for tickets. Very fair considering the elaborate show. They had some reserved seats that were more but I think that's more of a venue thing. I'm right by the stage, quite excited!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Got floor seats for the Yoshimi show in St. Louis! Super excited as well!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Got floor seats for the Yoshimi show in St. Louis! Super excited as well!
    Glad I found the presale code. When the general onsale happened the show sold out in literally 1 minute. I just saw them in November & this will be a very different show. I've seen them a lot & they never disappoint live.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Haven't really enjoyed a Lips album since Embryonic, but I got a ticket to see them performe Yoshimi in full here in KC in June. That album was too important to my teenage years not to go. How was the show, those of you who've been already? Do they just do Yoshimi or do they play other older hits afterwards?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Haven't really enjoyed a Lips album since Embryonic, but I got a ticket to see them performe Yoshimi in full here in KC in June. That album was too important to my teenage years not to go. How was the show, those of you who've been already? Do they just do Yoshimi or do they play other older hits afterwards?
    The show I saw last summer was fantastic. They did Yoshimi then another full set of other material. They played over 2.5 hours with no opener. You will enjoy the show!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Try American Head again! I actually went back today and listened to it and it really holds up.

Last summer's show was awesome and highly recommended!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Try American Head again! I actually went back today and listened to it and it really holds up.
    I revisited the 4 post Embryonic studio albums over the weekend and for the most part I still found them to be fairly boring and unremarkable. American Head has the most interesting ideas on it though, and I really enjoyed Kacey Musgrave's presence on the album. Ultimately though, I just really miss when Flaming Lips made hopeful sounding fun music rather than the more depressing melancholy stuff of the past 10-15 years.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I revisited the 4 post Embryonic studio albums over the weekend and for the most part I still found them to be fairly boring and unremarkable. American Head has the most interesting ideas on it though, and I really enjoyed Kacey Musgrave's presence on the album. Ultimately though, I just really miss when Flaming Lips made hopeful sounding fun music rather than the more depressing melancholy stuff of the past 10-15 years.
    I enjoy pretty much everything they put out & they've never disappointed live. Steven Drodz is 1 of my favorite musicians. BTW: Wayne was born 2 weeks before me, Henry Rollins 2 weeks after. Rockin' old guys now haha!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah, I will say of the four post Embryonic albums ... the only one that doesn't do it for me is just Oczy Mlody. It didn't really have great focus and that album art was pretty bad, haha. I adore The Terror how desolate and depressing it is and King's Mouth feels like almost a sadder Yoshimi record. American Head is like their reflective americana-nostalgia album.

For me too, the only 1999-2009 era album that didn't do anything for me was At War With the Mystics ... outside of a few tracks anyway.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I'd love to drop Steven in with Trent/Atticus & see what came out!