Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: The Weeknd

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Abel kicked so much ass with this performance. First time I've given a shit about the Super Bowl since Prince or Foo Fighters performed...whichever was last.

- He put $7 million of his own money into the show, and didn't actually get paid for doing the halftime show. Oh & special guests? He was like "I dropped 7 large on this shit, no one else is gonna be up there except me."

- if that was pre-recorded & lip synced (as the Super Bowl performances tend to be), he did a damn good job of staying on point with that, and adding in some crowd participation stuff & ad-libs to make it appear more live.

- I love how the whole theme of this album cycle with the bandages & plastic surgery is so confusing for normies/non-fans. Abel said that keeping with this theme for the performance was a big reason why there were no guests.

- Another dumb friend said the performance sucked bc he didn't dance and just walked around alot. The Weeknd doesn't dance!! He has the voice of an angel, that's all we need.

and now the internet:

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    He needs to take lip syncing lessons from Paul Stanley

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed his performance last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm really fucking with that arrangement of The Hills. Sounds almost goth metal on that chorus. And that version of the bassline... wow. Hope we get a full version of that on an (eventual) tour.

Great show.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It truly has been a lot of fun this morning seeing everyone who only casually know The Weeknd's music be so negatively taken aback by the performance last night.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    It truly has been a lot of fun this morning seeing everyone who only casually know The Weeknd's music be so negatively taken aback by the performance last night.
    Yeah, it pissed off my entire family lol. They were so confused.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Yeah, it pissed off my entire family lol. They were so confused.
    what did they say?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    what did they say?
    They were mostly just upset because they felt like it wasn’t fun and lighthearted like other Super Bowl performances. They didn’t know why his backup dancers had their faces covered. They felt like it was a bummer rather than fun and uplifting.

And I’m just like...yeah. Well. Have you ever listened to even a single song by The Weeknd? Half his discography is just about how much he hates himself and loves cocaine lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    My mom said the same thing. She said he has great melodies, but found the show to be slow. She found it more to be a musical than a Super Bowl performance.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    oh no i agree with these people! i must be old! i was personally looking forward to the performance but also felt like it was a bummer. i told my kids it was gonna be fun and tuned out all the lights and turned up the sound. it sounded good but yes the covered faces were jarring. i have a weird trigger about that coz of my facial injuries from a car accident. i wanted to get over it but the reappeared for the finale and instead of bandages this time, they looked like underwear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Dawn FM is out and it's so fucking great. Jim Carrey's narration over the whole album is surprisingly refreshing and works really well. My only complaint with the album is the Lil Wayne verse just because I think Lil Wayne sucks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm not a fan of the Tyler verse either. Rest of that song is not bad though, with Abel using his King of the Fall flow again.

Gasoline is a massive banger!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Album of the year so far!

This is a beauty front to back. When Gasoline's vocals hit, I knew I was in for a treat.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Gasoline really is a true banger. Sacrifice hits real good too.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I need a Depeche Mode cover of Gasoline.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I saw that all of the albums are on Apple Music in Atmos. Not really a big difference but I think you'd only hear it if you were more than a casual fan of the albums. I definitely only notice differences in those albums I've listened to hundreds of times.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    This has to be listened to with headphones... so much little stuff going on in the background of several songs. I didn't expect Phatom Regret to hit me as hard as it did... Brought tears to my eyes. When you listen to this album, you really feel like you're in for the ride and Jim translates that so well throughout the little breaks.

Also a nice little touch with the bird sounds at the beginning and end of the album; what a ride.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    ariana grande is nasal and boring, but that song he does with her is the tits.
    this did not age well. i love ariana and haven't cared for his shit at all. sounds like i should give this one a spin, though.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    So they're saying the girl he's singing about is Angelina Jolie?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    def love the entire album, but maaaaan those first 5songs back to back is just killer. Mega Jams.

I agree Lil Wayne sucks, but I did chuckle initially at that "no hub-cap" line. Took me a second, and then I conceded.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    two official remixes got released. One is excellent:

And one is solid:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    anyone watch last night's Coachella split set w/Swedish House Mafia? It was REALLY really good.

1. Video Introduction (contains elements of "Sacrifice")
      (with Swedish House Mafia)
    2. Sacrifice
      (with Swedish House Mafia) (live debut, SHM Remix version)
    3. How Do I Make You Love Me?
      (with Swedish House Mafia) (live debut)
    4. Can't Feel My Face
    5. Blinding Lights
    6. verse/chorus from Kanye West- Hurricane
    7. The Hills
    8. Party Monster
    9. Heartless
    10. verse/chorus from Future- Low Life (partial)
    11. verses/chorus from Ty Dolla $ign- Or Nah
    12. Often
    13. verse/chorus from Drake- Crew Love
    14. Starboy
    15. Out of Time (live debut)
    16. I Feel It Coming
    17. Save Your Tears (Slowed version)
    18. Interlude: Blinding Lights (Chromatics Remix)
    19. Moth to a Flame (live debut)
      (with Swedish House Mafia)
    SHM did their thing for like 45 minutes or so I'd say. Played all their hits, talked awkwardly on the mic as always...filled with cliches. Ended with "Don't You Worry Child", then it went straight into The Weeknd's portion. They stayed on stage for their first two songs with him, and then came back for the last song, which is their other song they collaborated on last year.. I actually figured we would get way more of the new album. Instead he focused on the stuff he's done with SHM recently, and the vast majority of the rest of the set was spent just dropping massive hit after massive hit. He even went to the real raunchy stuff, like "Or Nah". That was a surprise. He had GREAT energy. Was all over the place, and spent most of the set on the catwalk in the middle of the crowd. Great light show, voice was in top form. I imagine we'll get even more material from Dawn FM, but last night got me excited for the stadium tour. I SHOULD be at the Metlife Stadium show in July. Hopefully they do their song together "You Right" this summer.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 04-19-2022 at 03:31 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    anyone catch the HBO special this past weekend where they filmed the LA date of last year's crazy good stadium tour? It was fantastic. Best like BIG big show I've been to in many years.

And he's got a new show coming out later this year on HBO from the creator of Euphoria. Looks exactly how one might expect a show from the creator of Euphoria would look haha. From the trailer it appears Johnny Depp's daughter will be practically naked the entire show as well.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    pretty sure this guy is the only reason to ever pay attention to Coachella anymore (well, other than Knocked Loose, Gorillaz & Soul Glo playing this year I guess)

hip hop producer Metro Boomin' had a star studded set just now, with The Weeknd closing it out. Future & 21 Savage are untalented clowns in recorded form, never mind phoning in a "I'll rap when I feel like it" live performance over their own vocal tracks, but then Abel came out & made the set killer. Love this man.

1. On Time
      (with John Legend)
    2. Superhero (Heroes & Villains)
      (with Future)
    3. Thought It Was a Drought
      (with Future)
    4. I Serve the Base
      (with Future)
    5. Wicked
      (with Future)
    6. Digital Dash
      (with Future)
    7. Mask Off
      (with Future)
    8. Metro Spider
    9. I Can’t Save You (interlude)
      (with Don Toliver)
    10. Too Many Nights
      (with Don Toliver)
    11. Around Me
      (with Don Toliver)
    12. Interlude
      (21 Savage & Metro Boomin)
    13. Runnin
      (with 21 Savage)
    14. Bank Account
      (with 21 Savage)
    15. No Heart
      (with 21 Savage)
    16. 10 Freaky Girls
      (with 21 Savage)
    17. Umbrella
      (with 21 Savage)
    18. Knife Talk
      (with 21 Savage)
    19. Faith
      (with The Weeknd)
    20. Escape From LA
      (with The Weeknd)[I don't recall this actually being performed, but maybe I missed it or it was played as an interlude or something)
    21. Heartless
      (with The Weeknd)
    22. Low Life
      (with The Weeknd & Future)
    23. Double Fantasy
      (with The Weeknd)[new song]
    24. Creepin’ [Remix]
      (with The Weeknd, 21 Savage & Diddy)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)