Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil vs Nine Inch Nails: Uncoiled/Recoiled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was blown away just by "Uncoiled"!!! ....Now there's extra's? Can someone please send a PM my way (FLAC)?!?! And, yes, thankyou donors!!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biolumin3sc3nt View Post
    I was blown away just by "Uncoiled"!!! ....Now there's extra's? Can someone please send a PM my way (FLAC)?!?! And, yes, thankyou donors!!!
    Trying out the new MEGA service, let's see how this works.

Nine Inch Nails - Uncoiled Extended MP3 320
    Nine Inch Nails - Uncoiled Extended FLAC

Let me know how that works for everyone.
    Last edited by Callahan; 04-04-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thankyou!! Worked quite nicely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thank you

i want to express my sincere gratitude to all of you who made this possible. this was a big surprise for me last year, and it goes without saying how incredible this music is. now i can hear the bonus content? thanks so much. kim dotcom 4ever.

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    this makes me wonder if anyone has access to whatever Peter was working on for Trent which was mentioned in an interview on the Quietus back in 2010
    yes. i, too, would love to hear this. for lack of a better word, he does have people who are excavating his files, so if he never finished and sent them, it's still a possibility we could hear them some day.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Huh, I just got an email from Cold Spring about a commercial edition related to this, that they're calling "Recoiled" - http://coldspring.co.uk/discography/csr193cd/

“Recoiled” is a rambunctious alchemy, of magikal Coil sensibilities and hi-tech home circa 90’s mixing technique, all fused in the cave-like early studios of Danny Hyde / Peter Christopherson. These were the unrestrained PRE- BIG studio- mix downs, of four songs which long time Coil admirer / collaborator Trent Reznor requested Coil to remix. Reznor sent over the original multi-tracks and DATs to Hyde / Christopherson, who independently mixed versions and then met to synch both creations, molding them into these master versions. ”Recoiled” includes a fuller, more opulent version of the track ‘Closer’, which eventually made it onto the opening credits to the movie “SE7EN”. These 5 lengthy compositions are pre-Ableton / laptop generation type priest song creations, with the use of baby alarms and numerous wires to create bespoke effects. These legendary tracks were always rumoured to exist and, only the due diligence of a dedicated NIN forum who hunted them down, are released/unleashed for your listening pleasure. 4 of the tracks were released on the download-only “Uncoiled”. A bonus, previously unheard track from the same sessions closes the album. Jhonn Balance is also manifest on this gilded constellation. Beautifully remastered for CD / vinyl. CD in digipak.
    Did anyone on here get to be a part of this? Nice to get a mention as "a dedicated NIN forum" on there...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Something smells bad about that whole thing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    the description is awful. this has dollar-signs-in-the-eyes bootleg written all over it, and it seems kind of insulting for those of us involved in contributing to the original release of this.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Something smells bad about that whole thing.
    I had been talking to Danny about doing a short run of digipaks earlier this year, using a copy of the album that he'd had a friend do proper mastering on. Unfortunately I had just way too much stuff going on, and honestly, didn't want to really have to deal with that myself. Product fulfillment sucks. Last month he let me know that he was approached by a company who wanted to release the tracks, and that they liked the artwork on the fan release. Last week, Cold Spring contacted me, I looped MAD in on the email as he had taken the original photography, and today, Recoiled was announced - as a digipak and vinyl release.

Cold Spring is working directly with Danny, and if you look at their catalog, I think it's as good a home as any. As far as rights go, I'm not 100% sure how they've cleared what are effectively samples with Universal, and I hope this just flies under the UMG radar, because it'd be sweet to get this on vinyl.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    well, i'm glad to be proven wrong. it's still a horribly written description though, heh.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    it's still a horribly written description though, heh.
    At least it's not as bad as the terrible, terrible copy for Skinny Puppy's latest: http://metropolisrecords.bandcamp.com/album/weapon

"The more it is analyzed, the more it could be pondered on varying levels."

You don't say.

(Though seriously, the album itself is amazing.)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Hell, yeah!!! It's on its way to vinyl!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Interesting development. I'm guessing TR/record labels turned a blind eye to this when it surfaced as a free download for fans, but will be interesting to see if their view changes now it's being monetized...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Fairly certain if that monetizing the Closer Demo is not cool. If not Trent, Interscope will have a problem with this.

With that said.. CLOSER DEMO! WOOT! WOOT! Thanks for this!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azad_ninja View Post
    Fairly certain if that monetizing the Closer Demo is not cool. If not Trent, Interscope will have a problem with this.

With that said.. CLOSER DEMO! WOOT! WOOT! Thanks for this!
    It's not really a demo. It's just a very raw (poor) alt mix of the album version with elements panned hard left/right. It's stripped back a little so some parts aren't there. It's not meant for public consumption; it was only made for the initial ideas of what they could use for the remix. Really, that 'demo' and the 10,000 snippet mixes of the Gave Up remix are only for the super-fans.

The full length tracks are great, though.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Really, that 'demo' and the 10,000 snippet mixes of the Gave Up remix are only for the super-fans.

The full length tracks are great, though.
    Heh, yeah. With The Downward Spiral, my frustration at the lack of further releases made me unplug my headphones juuuuust a bit while listening to TDS on my walkman... Just to ear stuff I wouldn't hear normally. That's that amount of remixing here.

And yeah, from a commercial standpoint, that is a shitty product, especially the thousand of Gave Up iterations. That's interesting when you're a fan of both bands though, to listen to all those rough sketches.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I can confirm everything @Leviathant said above. I got all the old photos from Uncoiled and even provided brand new photos (taken last night - that new!).

I can't wait to see the end result and especially the vinyl version.

I'm really excited about this and I can barely contain myself as I write this post from my office at work.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    This might be interesting:RECOILED
    http://www.factmag.com/2013/12/06/co...s-recoiled-ep/
    Also on vinyl

Edit:
    even limited edition colored ep vinyl pfff. will be stressy.
    http://regenmag.com/news/cold-spring...ne-inch-nails/
    Last edited by witte; 12-23-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I find myself really hoping that this comes to light, and actually is realized as a physical release. But I worry that the more attention it garners, the more unlikely an actual release will be. Because this isn't a Coil / Danny Hyde release. This is a Nine Inch Nails release with remixes by Danny/Coil. Were this a fan based endeavor, I would guess that Trent and Co would likely be very hands off, but with there being a commercial label releasing this, I can't see this one flying too far. Unless the rights to these releases were granted years ago to Coil/Hyde, and this is just now seeing the light.

I think that Danny doing it himself would never have attracted any attention, at all, other than from folks here and a few other corners of the internet.

*fingers crossed that all of my fears are unfounded*

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    a remix cd with 8 dif remixes of Gave up seems as pointless as Things Falling Apart where half the cd was remixes of Starfukers

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Nine Inch Nails: Uncoiled - Lost remixes by Coil [UPDATE for donors]

Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    a remix cd with 8 dif remixes of Gave up seems as pointless as Things Falling Apart where half the cd was remixes of Starfukers
    Is there anything nine inch nails related that you don't hate?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Some fans were cool enough to get these remixes to us (relatively) free of charge, and you STILL want to complain? You, sir, are an ignoramus. All of the Gave Up remixes are there for the sake of completion.

Also, 3 out of 10 is not half.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 12-23-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    referring to Uncoiled. 8 of 11 Gave Ups

Gave Up (Open My Eyes) 5:28
    Closer (Unrecalled) 7:41
    The Downward Spiral (A Gilded Sickness) 7:59
    Eraser (Reduction) 8:45
    Gave Up (Flim Mix) 3:45
    Gave Up (Coldcutter) 1:29
    Gave Up (In Your Face) 1:38
    Gave Up (Full Mix) 1:50
    Gave Up (Full Mix+) 2:07
    Gave Up (More Perc) 1:43
    Gave Up (More Perc No Bass)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    referring to Uncoiled.
    And I was referring to Things Falling Apart.

And again, all the Gave Up remixes are included for the sake of completion. They're all essentially the same mix, but with slight differences. Not exactly essential, but it was nice that they were included for those that may want them.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 12-23-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Hey Bill, it's been a while since I've directly responded to one of your sourpuss "everything is stupid" posts.

As one of the primary people involved in chasing down the music that would come to be released as Uncoiled, I'd be happy to explain not only why I included so many of the Gave Up takes, but also why that's nothing at all like Starfuckers and Things Falling Apart.

One of the remixes of Gave Up was completely unreleased, and unlike any of the other Gave Up remixes that had been put out. Putting that in the compilation is self-explanatory.

The remix of Gave Up used in Young Americans had previously only been available as recorded from the movie itself, with foley and dialogue heard on top of audio that was clearly different from what was on Fixed. Danny had found several iterations of that particular remix, which documented the process of its creation.

Uncoiled is like the deluxe edition, behind the scenes audio extras for FDTS & Closer to God. If you're interested enough to seek out Uncoiled, you shouldn't be surprised by what's on there - it's clearly stated in the description released with the album that it's early versions of the remixes you already have. If you haven't already heard the remixes on Further Down the Spiral and Closer to God (or Fixed) then you've been misled to seek out a release like that.

Things Falling Apart did have a lot of Starfuckers remixes... each by different people, each being completely different from the other. The Gave Up remixes that appear on Uncoiled are iterative and evolutionary, and offer insight into the remix process itself.

Recoiled, as released by Cold Spring, will feature a subset of what was put out on Uncoiled, plus an Eraser remix you haven't heard yet. It's brief for the very reasons pointed out here - several iterative versions of a single remix does not make for a release with (relatively) wide appeal, particularly on an already niche release. Had you paid money for Recoiled and found out half the album is the same remix, changing a little bit each time, by all means, call it pointless. But you didn't. 47 other ETSers and myself did, some much more than others.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Regarding Things Falling Apart. I am pretty sure I have the majority opinion that the track listing was....LACKING....3 remixes of one song, out of 10 tracks...Remixes like 'complications of the flesh' or day the world went away 'quiet' were nowhere to be found on there, relegated to B side status from singles. Things Falling Apart seemed like one of the most half baked releases TR has ever put out. He could have done so much more with that album, like he did with Fixed and Further Down The Spiral....

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Regarding Things Falling Apart. I am pretty sure I have the majority opinion that the track listing was....LACKING....3 remixes of one song, out of 10 tracks...Remixes like 'complications of the flesh' or day the world went away 'quiet' were nowhere to be found on there, relegated to B side status from singles. Things Falling Apart seemed like one of the most half baked releases TR has ever put out. He could have done so much more with that album, like he did with Fixed and Further Down The Spiral....
    Sure, opinions on Things Falling Apart are mixed. I can tell you that while it's not my favorite release (I was spoiled by the excellent Downward Spiral remixes), I have seen no shortage of people who actually consider that their favorite remix album of all time. And actually, I've heard a lot of people say Fixed is terrible, or at least on par with Things Falling Apart. For each of those releases, by the way, they were priced as singles. $7.99, if I recall correctly. And for each of them, when Trent spoke to the press about them, he suggested they represented a peek at the kind of fucking around they do in the studio, and they were not in themselves grand statements... which is why he never priced them as full-priced albums - compared to, say, Year Zero Remixed.

But that doesn't matter because this is the Uncoiled thread.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    ...3 remixes of one song...
    Further Down The Spiral also had three mixes of one song. Not sure why people single out TFA for doing that.

To keep things on topic, does anyone know if Trent and Co. contacted anyone else to do remixes besides the people who were featured on Further Down The Spiral?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Further Down The Spiral also had three mixes of one song. Not sure why people single out TFA for doing that.
    Which are way more iterative/derivative than the starfuckers.inc remixes are. I love the fact that FDTS has that recurring fall back to Self Destruction, but indeed, calling TFA lazy is very near-sighted.

And Uncoiled complicates even more my delusional fantasy of creating the perfect FDTS compilation.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    http://www.nme.com/reviews/nine-inch-nails/3649

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...falling-apart/

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...apart-20001207

point is about the 3 mixes of starfuckers...you had almost 30 songs to choose from to remix with The Fragile, and yet you devote 1/3 of the remix album to one song....It was just lazy. That album could have had a 2 disc edition of remixes to 15 plus songs and been epic, instead of what the remix album ultimately became
    Last edited by billpulsipher; 12-24-2013 at 03:09 AM.