Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Foo Fighters

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Zero...repeat, zero...chance that Dave is done with music or that FF is done. Crazy talk. FF is a machine, and it will not be ended. The ONLY "good" news here, and I use that term very lightly, is:

A. I think we can all agree that FF have been WAY overexposed for over a decade now. Them going away for a while is a good thing. The relentless touring & projects honestly tired me out. And the setlists have been goofy as hell. I'd imagine we will get a more serious, locked in version of the band whenever shows start up again. No more fucking Bee Gees covers.

B. Would LOVE to see Nate be a part of the upcoming Sunny Day reunion shows if that fence can be mended.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Zero...repeat, zero...chance that Dave is done with music or that FF is done. Crazy talk. FF is a machine, and it will not be ended. The ONLY "good" news here, and I use that term very lightly, is:

A. I think we can all agree that FF have been WAY overexposed for over a decade now. Them going away for a while is a good thing. The relentless touring & projects honestly tired me out. And the setlists have been goofy as hell. I'd imagine we will get a more serious, locked in version of the band whenever shows start up again. No more fucking Bee Gees covers.

B. Would LOVE to see Nate be a part of the upcoming Sunny Day reunion shows if that fence can be mended.
    I get where you're coming from but honestly, I very much disagree. If anything this has proven how RIGHT they were to keep doing exactly what they wanted and putting out projects. You never know how much time you have and I bet Taylor would be glad he did as much as he could while he could. The setlists were awesome. I watched their entire last show, for example, and it was great.

And the Dee Gees was fucking awesome too. The Foo are about fun. They've always been about fun.

I definitely see Dave staying in music for life but whether he wants to keep doing it under the Foo moniker is entirely up to him I think.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    They've always been about fun but that "bite" has been missing from most of their material for a long time now. First four or 5 records all had it, a song like "White Limo" had it. And that was a long time ago.

oh, and Dream Widow is killer stuff to be clear. But I am a metalhead and it's clearly not supposed to be FF.

Maybe we move Them Crooked Vultures along a little faster now b/c of this? If your point about never knowing how much time you have is to be taken into consideration, may I present to you 76 year old John Paul Jones.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    They've always been about fun but that "bite" has been missing from most of their material for a long time now. First four or 5 records all had it, a song like "White Limo" had it. And that was a long time ago.

oh, and Dream Widow is killer stuff to be clear. But I am a metalhead and it's clearly not supposed to be FF.

Maybe we move Them Crooked Vultures along a little faster now b/c of this? If your point about never knowing how much time you have is to be taken into consideration, may I present to you 76 year old John Paul Jones.
    I mean music is subjective so I'm not going to say you're wrong but I've enjoyed pretty much all their records. Run or No Son of Mine, the entire Saint Cecilia EP have that "bite" you're talking about, at least to my ears.

Also, go smoke a joint and listen to the title track from Concrete and Gold and come back and tell me they're not still making music that's worth while.

Then go listen to Shadow Dancing and follow it up with Dream Widow and appreciate just how wide of a range they had.

Them Crooked Vultures is great too, I'd love to hear more of that but I also think Dave is just too addicted to making music to not also be the front man of a project again at some point. But all that shit is down the line. Taylor was family to him and I think fans just need to give him and the band time. As much of it as they need.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I don't think TCV2 is happening until JHo sorts his personal/family issues out. I mean this is what probably holding new Queens from completion for years now, and starting yet another record? I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I don't think TCV2 is happening until JHo sorts his personal/family issues out. I mean this is what probably holding new Queens from completion for years now, and starting yet another record? I don't see it happening anytime soon.
    That's what I'm thinking too.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Taylor Hawkins Expressed Discomfort About Foo Fighters’ Tour Schedule Before He Died, Friends Claim: “He told me that he ‘couldn’t fucking do it anymore’—those were his words,” Pearl Jam’s Matt Cameron told Rolling Stone for a feature about Hawkins’ final days. A representative for the band disputed Cameron and others’ claims.

Sounds like he was really, really struggling.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Taylor Hawkins Expressed Discomfort About Foo Fighters’ Tour Schedule Before He Died, Friends Claim: “He told me that he ‘couldn’t fucking do it anymore’—those were his words,” Pearl Jam’s Matt Cameron told Rolling Stone for a feature about Hawkins’ final days. A representative for the band disputed Cameron and others’ claims.

Sounds like he was really, really struggling.
    Yeah, and Cameron seems pretty pissed about it. They're probably trying not to have a lawsuit with saying that it's disputed.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    It's sad to hear that, but at the same time I don't think it's something Dave would dismiss? Obviously we don't know what was said.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Jesus. It's going to be really sad if this is the thing that turns people against Dave.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Fuck. This is awful.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Wow this is a turn I did not expect in this story. Honestly though, Foo Fighters were for real always on tour and seemingly were the go to replacement band for any dropped artist at any festival. Plus, they do like 3.5 hour sets every night too. That's undoubtedly gotta take a major toll.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Awful for everyone.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Not to be knocking anyone but Dave does have a bit of a tyrant streak in him. See William Goldsmith. & a guitar player whose name I'm spacing on.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Not to be knocking anyone but Dave does have a bit of a tyrant streak in him. See William Goldsmith. & a guitar player whose name I'm spacing on.
    Franz Stahl? Yeah, this is not a good look on Dave/band management. I was really sad while reading that RS article. The band rep can say all what they want about that meeting not happening, but I'm sure Matt Cameron and Chad Smith are not lying, why would they have to? This is just a reminder to everyone that burnout is a real thing. This situation reminded me of Mike Patton, good for him that he took time off, we don't want to lose more musicians due to mental health. That Matt Cameron bit about Taylor sending him Genesis videos (even if Cameron is not into Genesis), it painted Taylor as a real human being, it made me chuckle. He sounds goofy, and real. Such a shame for his family, and the FF.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Franz was the addition to the band that I was most excited about because of Wool and Scream and we got...one song? just one?

And Goldsmith was a shitty decision by Dave all-round, yeah.

well then.
    Last edited by allegate; 05-17-2022 at 03:28 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Matt Cameron’s statement doesn’t dispute what he said does it or say they’re lying, he just said he’s sorry to have taken part?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Are people really going to try to blame Dave Grohl and not the, what was it, TEN substances found in his system at the time of death?

I'm not saying it isn't tragic, and it heartbreaking to hear Taylor had this conversation with Dave, but Dave didn't make him do anything leading to his death.

He didn't put drugs in his body, and he also didn't force him to be the drummer for the Foo Fighters on this schedule. Taylor could've quit the drugs, the FF, or both.

Im sure Dave and the other members of Foo are as, if not more, torn up about this then anyone short of Taylor's family. We don't need to pile on.
    Last edited by AndItKeepsRepeating; 05-17-2022 at 08:22 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CdrTtTavKbK/

Chad smith also recanting too and expressing regret too

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    My 2 cents on this is that basically whoever wrote that article should be ashamed of themselves.

Those statements basically just say Taylor indicated that he couldn't keep up with all the heavy touring. Those guys are also in bands and Taylor complaining to them is probably akin to every occupation on earth where people say they can't keep it up. Work kills us all. And I'm sure he did bring this up to Dave and they probably had a plan in place going forward but like others have said trying to pin this thing on Dave or anyone else is a stretch. No one saw this coming. And while the Foo have always been heavy touring, it's also true that they had the same year long covid break as every other band.

And Chad Smith obviously doesn't lay this thing at Dave's feet either. From what I heard, Dave along with Taylor's family were seen out at a RHCP show. So yeah, unless there are some other details, fuck this bullshit cherry-picking article.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I read the whole Rolling Stone piece, and it's far from a take-down in my opinion. It's not unusual for journalists to get quotes about the lives of famous people who died under mysterious circumstances and then put together a narrative to explain what might have happened, so I'm not going to play the "evil media" card here and drag them for doing it. We're all curious about this dramatic and sad death of a celebrated public figure. If your take-away is that they suggested Grohl worked Hawkins to the brink, well.. maybe there's a kernel of that, but I don't entirely agree that this is all that RS was suggesting.

My read on the backtracking statements in response is that the Foos' corporate/legal machinery (and I'm not singling them out for this; any band selling tickets at their level is part of one, to some extent... they employ hundreds of people, even in unfortunate circumstances like this one where they hire crisis management teams to protect how their brand is affected) is clamping down hard on any speculative suggestion that Taylor may have been struggling prior to the tour. They essentially denied everything that Smith and Cameron and another background source said happened, and Rolling Stone duly printed their responses, right there in the story — and after it came out, to strengthen their position, the FF team probably had someone from Hawkins' family immediately get on the phone to ream those guys out, and also demanded public social media apologies from them right away.

But if Cameron was just telling the journalists what Hawkins said, and now he says it has been printed out of context — well, what was the original context for it? Smith divulged what happened with Hawkins having to be resuscitated from unconsciousness last year — but later he just said the article was misleading. Not factually incorrect. We don't know what the whole story is, and we're not ever going to get a satisfying answer, I suspect.

Really sad that this is playing out the way it is. I feel bad for everyone involved.
    Last edited by botley; 05-18-2022 at 09:06 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I would assume there are a bunch of behind the scenes stuff going on with money right now...part of the business of being in a huge band. You've got cancelled shows and those contracts, what happens when a member dies and who gets what after, etc.

I'm sure the representation from any of them are trying not to stir any kind of pot legally right now.
    Last edited by Kodiak33; 05-18-2022 at 09:06 AM. Reason: More detail

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I guess Dave can drum and sing cuz they already have too many guitar players in this band for what they are

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    sorry, I was just thinking of the four guitar players in Pearl Jam at the moment. lol
    (Josh Klinghoffer is touring with them and maybe even recording with them)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    sorry, I was just thinking of the four guitar players in Pearl Jam at the moment. lol
    (Josh Klinghoffer is touring with them and maybe even recording with them)
    Just got a good LOL out of this too, thanks. Totally forgot about him now being with PJ.

I'm sure in reality FF will just have some rotation of guest drummers for each show.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    They just couldn't help themselves could they? This seems so quick, but I am bias, as you can see my opinion above of what Dave needs to do with the Foos for a while.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    First band photo without Taylor, from this NME article: https://www.nme.com/news/music/final...tadium-3301455

The sadness is palpable. And while reading Twitter I found out that Dave's mom passed away a month ago. Someone give this guy a break (and a big hug).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    First band photo without Taylor, from this NME article: https://www.nme.com/news/music/final...tadium-3301455

The sadness is palpable. And while reading Twitter I found out that Dave's mom passed away a month ago. Someone give this guy a break (and a big hug).
    Holy cow, she was his rock. I can't imagine going through those two losses at the same time.