Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    http://kotaku.com/5967442/is-there-r...in-screenshots

now these people are just getting silly. Yes, there's Big Boss, yes, it looks like the Fox Engine, two phantoms, volgin, psycho mantis, etc. Yes, it's Metal Gear. How much deeper do these people think the trailer gets?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    It's mainly all the hype. Every gaming news outlet is gonna milk the hell out of it until the first bit of official news rolls along to destroy any speculation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited, but I've seen at least five Phantom Pain articles in the last 24 hours alone, and two of them were from the same place, just renamed articles.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Pre-order shit

Don't know why they just can't be in game unlocks? Only one worth having is the Gray Fox skin (which is from Gamestop).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Demo came out today. Too overly difficult for my tastes or maybe I just suck. The combat system seems too over thought in my opinion.

I don't mind a challenge in a game but the boss fight was too hard for me to even get to 85% health. Don't really get the parrying system and how to time it, didn't really explain in the provided tutorial.

I'll probably pass on this game for awhile, even if I bother getting it really.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    ummmm.... well, I've only made it past the tutorial, but I have a hard time believing this is going to be my kind of thing.

So, now that I officially feel this way, it's time to say that Revengeance is the stupidest thing they could have possibly named this game.

PS: To parry, you point your left control stick towards the attacking enemy and hit the square button at the point of impact
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-22-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    ummmm.... well, I've only made it past the tutorial, but I have a hard time believing this is going to be my kind of thing.

So, now that I officially feel this way, it's time to say that Revengeance is the stupidest thing they could have possibly named this game.

PS: To parry, you point your left control stick towards the attacking enemy and hit the square button at the point of impact
    Thanks, they just said left stick and X (I'm on Xbox). Didn't say much about it.

I'm not a huge fan of it after playing it. The mode to intiate slow-motion slicing is kinda awkward and the overall combat was a bit....meh.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 01-23-2013 at 06:14 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    It mentions (really fast during the first fight) how to perform the parry move. It's incredibly easy to miss.

I'm not sure about this one, but in general I'm a pretty big fan of Platinum Games, so I'll at least be renting this one. At the very least, it'll be the "biggest" thing they've put out. I've warmed up to it a bit by playing the demo. Maybe I'll try it again and see if I get a better grasp on the controls.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah when I got the demo with ZOE that parry was almost a deal breaker until I finally figure it out.... still .... its kind of dumb...

Love the cut shit up mechanic though. I hope they take that kind of thing somewhere in the next generation.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Metal Gear Solid

Played a few minutes of the demo this morning. Very rough around the edges. Going to hope it grows on me some. I was automatically put off by on how much they couldn't get parrying right. If all fails, I'll just cancel my reserve and put it towards Bioshock or Injustice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Once I figured out the parrying (you have to hold X/Square somewhat in preparation of the attack, like you're remaining stiff in anticipation of impact) I felt like I total badass. I also spent a lot of time listening to the codec conversations, which thankfully have a lot of references to 2 and 4, so they're not totally abandoning the story here. I wouldn't be surprised if some events from the Plant come back to haunt Raiden in this one. and christ, the ways you can slice dudes up gets pretty nasty, especially when you make one good diagonal slice across the torso and watch it fall off.

I'm super pumped for this game! and I'm actually surprised that more people aren't.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    Once I figured out the parrying (you have to hold X/Square somewhat in preparation of the attack, like you're remaining stiff in anticipation of impact) I felt like I total badass. I also spent a lot of time listening to the codec conversations, which thankfully have a lot of references to 2 and 4, so they're not totally abandoning the story here. I wouldn't be surprised if some events from the Plant come back to haunt Raiden in this one. and christ, the ways you can slice dudes up gets pretty nasty, especially when you make one good diagonal slice across the torso and watch it fall off.

I'm super pumped for this game! and I'm actually surprised that more people aren't.
    I was initially and felt a bit more reserved after more information and those god awful live action trailers came out. My faith was restored by gameplay videos and more information. This demo dashed it.

The game has a cool style and I really enjoy the blade mode aspect but to me, it seems like they over thought the combat and mechanics and made them overly difficult when they shouldn't have been. Parrying, as in every game is about timing, was abysmal to me in this demo. I am decently paced in Devil May Cry and Tekken to parry moves and pull off counter attacks but in MGR I didn't have a single prayer at doing it properly once.

I'll still give it another shot and try the demo again after some tips you all gave me but sadly I don't think this will warrant a day one, full price purchase from me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Demo came out today. Too overly difficult for my tastes or maybe I just suck. The combat system seems too over thought in my opinion.

I don't mind a challenge in a game but the boss fight was too hard for me to even get to 85% health. Don't really get the parrying system and how to time it, didn't really explain in the provided tutorial.

Played the demo last night. Its goddamn hard, tutorial doesn't teach much other than blade time. I also have a hard time parrying, and as far as the boss fight, I must've restarted it about 10 times before I quit, got it down to about 30% each time.

I really want to like this game because I love metal gear. Will try again tonight.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    after messing with the demo a bit, the only thing that still concerns me is the implementation of "blade mode." It seems like it will be constantly frustrating unless they tweak it a bit.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    after messing with the demo a bit, the only thing that still concerns me is the implementation of "blade mode." It seems like it will be constantly frustrating unless they tweak it a bit.
    They did probably.

Denied, suckah!

I actually found how to be decently good at parrying and I've really fine tuned how to play with my style after a dozen (yikes) playthroughs of the demo to where I dominate all enemies in it. The boss is the only thing where I falter, so I guess it's not as bad as I made it to be.

Either way, I became a hypocrite and pre-ordered it. Thanks eBay money!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Fun fact: If you wait for the first three enemies to charge at you, then parry their attack, you can go into blade mode and decapitate all three in one slice =D

Also, aside from the first Gecko fight, you can beat the demo without setting off an alert. I definitely did not expect much stealth from this game, so now I'm even more excited.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I would hardly say its 'as usual', both companies pull the 'exclusive DLC/content' card nearly all the time. Frustrating though it maybe...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Metal Gear Solid

Eh, probably nothing worth bragging about. I'm sure

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    I would hardly say its 'as usual', both companies pull the 'exclusive DLC/content' card nearly all the time. Frustrating though it maybe...
    Xbox tends to get timed exclusives, PS gets full on permanent exclusives that are never released.

The issue really isn't a big deal to me as I have both systems but I only buy exclusive titles on the PS3. PS's track record with exclusives over Xbox's is a huge overhaul for games I enjoy:

Assassin's Creed games have bonus missions for PS3 only
    Far Cry 3 will have exclusive DLC co-op chapters Xbox won't ever get
    LA Noire had Consul's Traffic Case
    etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Eh, probably nothing worth bragging about. I'm sure
    I'm inclined to agree actually.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    As a PS3 owner in 2007, it was rare to even get a decent version of a cross platform game or the game at all!... not justifying locked DLC in any way, but MS made a lot of big deals to keep content from ps3 gamers early on this gen, it really worked to their favor too and its taken til the dawn of a new gen to see Sony catch up (which is what they did this whole cycle it seems)
    It's still shitty and I hope it stops because that 'grass is greener' feeling should not impact on a game you play for fun. I'm sure ps3 gamers will not have 10% more fun with Rising than 360 gamers so they should just cut it out.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots skin available on Launch for $1.99 aka 160 MSP. Bit overpriced and should be free like in Japan but I'll still buy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Can't I just like... play the fucking game and unlock it like I used to? I'd rather show how much I love the game by collecting all the dog tags (or left hands) than by shilling out more money for a game that's already overpriced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Both Gamespot and IGN gave it an 8.5.

I just picked up my copy and am stoked to play it after work tonight!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Game rules but it's hard as hell.

Loved the Mistral boss fight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I downloaded the demo for the Revengeance a while ago and I still haven't played it. Must fix the situation as soon as I can! I'll definitely buy it when I just get some money.

About the MGS games, these are easily my favourite games of all! All of them have been really great, even Peace Walker which was different in good ways. The second one might be my favourite, maybe because it was the first MGS that I ever played.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Look what I found in my PS shelf stash. I will probably play it too since Rising came out and I'm in the mood.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Game rules but it's hard as hell.

Loved the Mistral boss fight.
    It was a pain in the ASS until I figured out parrying. I kinda skipped a few instructions, so I was randomly pushing buttons for a while until I gave up and checked it out in the tutorial again. The game's really fun, controls are smooth, the story is a total Metal Gear story. I approve so far. I'm far from the ending, but if they decide to do a sequel down the road, I think I'd be on board.

I'm just past the Mistral fight, which was indeed pretty awesome. :P I've got a snow day tomorrow and the rest of the weekend to play this bad boy. If finances allow, I might end up dropping cash on the Limited Edition. That lamp is SO awesome, I just wish it wasn't so pricy. But after seeing its size and seeing it in action, I'm a little more tempted. We'll see!
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 02-22-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ahhh....Monsoon is kicking my ass right now. Taking a small break before I throw my controller through the TV.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Look what I found in my PS shelf stash. I will probably play it too since Rising came out and I'm in the mood.

My favorite game of all time. I even still have my MGS1 figures from when I was a kid. My Gray Fox figure sits right in front of my NIN collection. I'll pop in MGS1 every few months just to relive it. It really is my favorite game ever. Can't get enough of it. I love MGS3, but to me, the original MGS1 is the best.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Goood, I'm so glad Metal Gear Rising turned out so awesome. It's impossible not to feel like a badass, even when you ragequit while fighting Sundowner.

FUCK YOU, OLD MAN!