Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1404

Thread: "Everything" debuts on BBC1/TR-Zane Lowe Interview (8.19.13)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I have nothing of real value to add, I just want to state that I love the song 'Everything'.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    It's weird listening to this knowing it's a NIN song. It's like Pearl Jam suddenly using drum machines and synthesizers while singing about old women in suburbs or something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, Im giving in... Can anyone send me a link via PM to Everything? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipfinator View Post
    I quite like Find My Way, but the lyrical melody is 100% like Somewhat Damaged. Listen to both side by side.

Yeah, still really not hearing it all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMorlock View Post
    Yeah, still really not hearing it all.
    Oh I've heard it... It's pretty close. You can sing the lyrics to somewhat damaged to find my way. Not bashing at all, I love it when trent does this kind of thing. The first time I heard "the tinyest little dot caught my eye and it turned out to be a scab" on With Teeth, I lost it. And I love it how it is very clear that he cannot be stopped.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    so/now
    impressed/my path
    with/has
    all/gone
    you do/astray

tried/I'm
    so/just
    hard/trying
    to/to
    be/find
    like/my
    you/way

They're identical. Christ, the first line even has the same number of syllables and the second line has the same number of words! How can you guys possibly not hear it?
    This is like when I see people tap their feet off rhythm; I just can't fathom how someone can not hear something so detrimental to a song.

EDIT: The second line is sung slightly different. He draws out trying and doesn't switch notes on way, but the melody of the line is still the same.
    Last edited by zecho; 08-25-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I think the real question here is why you're so adamant about it? Trent reuses shit like that all the time, all over his discography. And yet this single instance is the dealbreaker for you?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    No, I like the song a lot, and I enjoy how he reuses some things in his music. I just get frustrated when something so clearly a certain way is argued to be a different way. It'd be different if it was a subjective observation. I don't know what it is about it, but it really gets to me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    NIN-tourmate Bradford Cox of Deerhunter uses lyrical reiterations all the time in the best way.

Also, great to see Trent's comment on "Everything" getting the attention it deserved! I have faith that in the context of the album, its wryness and false sense of hope will be starkly apparent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmya View Post
    I have nothing of real value to add, I just want to state that I love the song 'Everything'.
    You has got it, brudda! This song is great. I like how Trent takes a break from "creepy, atmospheric 4-minute songs" to a New Order/Cure made-for-radio hit. It is great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is the single most greatest song of Trent's career

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The songs are pretty much completely different in tempo and sound.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    So after a couple dozen spins, I just want to put this down here for posterity....

This will be the song that all of you hate and swear you will hate forever, but after hearing it enough times, seeing it live, thinking about it more, giving it time to marinade, etc. you may find yourself eventually actually kind of, yes, really... liking it.

And I'm just putting this here to tell you... that's ok.

Call it the "Sunspots" effect.

Don't believe me? Come back here in a week, or a month... or a few years.

You'll see ;-)
    Checking in a week later to see how my prediction is going...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Checking in a week later to see how my prediction is going...
    Yeah. Years from now people will be posting about how they like this song in the "Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions" thread.
    Last edited by Tyson; 08-26-2013 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Spelling error.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    nin (i dunno who did that) succesfully removed that brutal new song video, anyone kept it somewhere ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    his guy sums up why a frickin love the song

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So given TR's comments on this track, I think the video treatment for the song (official or otherwise) should include a bunch of clips of people/animals cheating death and/or performing amazing feats. You know, those near misses that make you go, wow - that person is lucky to be alive!

The song is *so* poppy at times it definitely seems like the victor is rubbing it in. Showboating. So of course to give it that dark NIN slant, at the end they could ultimately run into a tricky situation where it is ambiguous if they'll be able to make it out this last time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    Call it the "Sunspots" effect.
    What-the-fuck-ever, man. I loved Sunspots from first listen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    trent's wife defends this music in studio
    i know it god damnit
    "yo trent, this song blows assholes"
    "don't listen to atticus honey, sing your heart's song"

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 420swaglord69 View Post
    i know it god damnit
    Hi.

Well.

No.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    i know it god damnit
    Considering the HTDA album (where Mariqueen has a much bigger influence) is far, far darker both in theme and musicality, does that really make sense even as a joke? I mean, if anything, make a joke about how MQ is clearly now the darker, angstier Reznor if you really hate Everything so much.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i know it god damnit
    nice username, bro. /sarcasm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Considering the HTDA album (where Mariqueen has a much bigger influence) is far, far darker both in theme and musicality, does that really make sense even as a joke? I mean, if anything, make a joke about how MQ is clearly now the darker, angstier Reznor if you really hate Everything so much.
    Considering the intro post and the whole "420swag" shit, I wouldn't put too much thought into this post.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    i know it god damnit
    I was going to make a snarky comment and then I saw your username and just felt bad for you. It would be like beating up the handicap kid. It's just cruel. So you just go on and get down with your bad self.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    What pop song does this sound like. Old radiohead, chili peppers, someone has a song like this and it's been killing me trying to name it!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It's not a moment of clarity. It's a moment of almost pure blindness to the consequences he may face. "I believe, I am home." He believes it because he wants to, not because it's the truth. He's a liar, and I think he knows it, but he's not ready to face that yet. He'd rather ride whatever positive experience he's experiencing for as long as possible. "Wave goodbye, wish me well." is him at least acknowledging the fact that maybe this can't last forever, but also represents his futile hope that it does.
    A very excellent point, as it also matches very well with Last in some ways when you take notice of that.

"Look through these blackened eyes! You'll see 10,000 lies! My lips may promise but my heart is a whore!" "Fresh blood through tired skin! New sweat to drown me in! Dress up this rotten carcass just to make it look alive!" "This isn't meant to last! This is for right now!"

However, and for the record, I'm still leave it up to speculation. Just to make things clear.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 08-26-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Clarification. =P

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I hope most of these interpretations are just people reading too much into things because I don't want them to be true. I want the man to be happy even if it means he makes nothing but shitty pop songs the rest of his life ( which is clearly not the case so far). I hope he's not looking over his shoulder waiting for the other shoe to drop because that's a terrible way to live when you have so much going for you (trust me. I've done so before). "For once in my life I feel complete and I still want to ruin it" is the old man. Let that one go, Trent (not that I expect him to be reading this, but if he is).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Everything before Everything is great and everything after Everything is really great. And Everything is all right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Rain, rain, go away. Let Trent rewrite 'Everything'"

(or at least just the first 5 seconds of singing hahahaha)

actually, listening to the album right now, in the context of the album it does make sense. but on its own, it limps quite a bit before taking off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had hoped I might like the song better in context but in truth I like it even less. While thematically it fits, the song itself just really throws off my listening experience. It divides the album in half in a way I don't like.