Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Mike Patton

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Remember when Patton's lyrics were sort of about stuff?

Not really. Half of Disco Volante is literally him singing nonsensical words and making up a fake language. The Tomahawk 'Anonymous' album is more of the same. Fantomas albums consist of him screaming with no actual lyrics at all. Mike's never been a poet in regards to lyrics and he's the first one to admit that.
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 02-26-2021 at 06:12 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    The Tomahawk 'Anonymous' album is more of the same.
    i thought he was actually using the lyrics from the traditional indigenous songs that they adapted, is that not true?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well disco Volante have lyrics, just 3 songs and others like backstrokin with some words, he make lyrics according to the project, in anonymous he adapt the lyrics to the music, i see it like spoken word, is fantastic, his work in Corpse Flower have some of my favorite lyrics.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Maybe I should listen to Corpse Flower again.

I get that he has a lot of material in his catalogue that relied less on lyrics and more of performance. But it felt like he used to put a lot more thought and effort into lyrics when there were lyrics. Then around the time time when PeepingTom came out it seemed like he stopped caring as much.

I know he isn't some poet, I just haven't felt very engaged with much of his work post 2005.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    That is amazing. Love it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I gave Corpse Flower another spin and I love this thing. I listen to it all the time now. On Top of The World, Pink and Blue and the song about the schoolgirl are highlights. Maybe my previous posts were being hard on him because Tomahawk had a solid legacy with the first three albums and subsequent material dilutes that legacy.

I have be listening to General Patton vs. X-Ecutioners again. Awesome record. The more straightforward pop elements are head and shoulders above most of the Peeping Tom album.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I gave the new Tomahawk album a listen this morning. It's much better than I was expecting. It reminds me a lot of their self-titled album. Good stuff! I'm glad I sprung for the Newbury Comics exclusive vinyl.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    This new Tomahawk fuckin rips. Best thing they have done since Mit Gas....

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    The new Tomahawk is really growing on me! While I adore some of the tracks and it's heavyness, some fall pretty flat for me though. Patton shows a wide range on this, but some tracks sound a little too much like Dead Cross with some of Tomahawk's DNA in there. Just like I thought Anonymus was Fantomas' version of Tomahawk. Interesting, but not everything sat right with me.

But I won't complain, eventhough I liked "Oddfellows" a bit better, guess the first two records were just too strong. Hope to see them live some day though.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    New Tomahawk is great, best thing they did since "Mit Gas"!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This record is pretty cool so far.
    I like it better than Oddfellows.
    Sidewinder is a jam.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Finally got my vinyl of the new Tomahawk. I’ve given it one vinyl listen and several digital listens. Initial thoughts:
    * The sleeve for the record is one of the cheapest, flimsiest I’ve ever encountered as a collector and the web store exclusive silver vinyl is pretty noisy.
    * it hasn’t grabbed me the way Oddfellows did. The instrumentation is fantastic, but I feel like Patton does way too much spoken word stuff and not near enough actual singing on this record. Like others have said, his style between bands isn’t very distinct anymore. I’ll keep listening and it’ll probably grow on my eventually, but I wish he would belt things out or croon or hell even do a weird gas mask voice like he used to. Too many vocals feel like slightly mellower versions of what he does on the Easter Bunny record.
    * Despite all this, I still love Patton and most of what he does and will continue to support him.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 03-29-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The more that I listen to this album the more I like it.
    The music and production are very on point. My initial opinion about Patton doing the same thing he has been doing has subsided somewhat now that I can pick out different layers and subtleties of his performance. Recoil is probably the most pop-satisfactory rock song he has sung since 90s era FNM.

The most interesting bit of the records are when things get a little weirder and a little slow but I am happy to have the more straight forward bangers to balance things out. It is the spiritual successor to the first 2 records. I love Anonymous too much to say that this record is better or worse IMO.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Mike doing a rare interview. Talks a lot about the new album and the process making it. Probably the only interview he will be doing to promote it since he despises doing press these days

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    finally listened to the new Tomahawk yesterday.

music? A
    vocals? B-
    lyrics? D

wtf, mike? he's easily the least interesting part of this record, and that's the first time i've ever said that about something that includes him. and seriously so many of the lyrics are SO BAD. if i wanna hear him sing about jerking off i'm gonna go listen to "squeeze me macaroni"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    On the latest Office Hours podcast Trey Spruance mentioned that Mr. Bungle is getting 4 releases out of Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny

1. The original demo
    2. The remake
    3. The live album/movie
    4. Something else he can’t talk about yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    interesting

still bummed FNM doesn't seem to be working on new material. at least they'll be playing live soon.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    My "The Night They Came Home" blu-ray/CD showed up a few days ago, so I'm giving it my first watch since the original stream. Goddamn. It's every bit as delicious as it was on Halloween.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    FNM announcing a concert on the exact same date as the Nine Inch Nails show I forked over $200+ for a ticket to makes me incredibly angry. I get into that place in Pittsburgh for free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Mr. Bungle Instagram page has posted a very Disco Volante-esqe video and Ipecac’s email newsletter is urging people to check their web store on Monday to preorder 2 special releases “You'd travel the ocean with grinning mouths for these, trust us.”

Very interesting… could be Bungle reissues. The self-titled album’s right should have reverted to the band by now.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure Trevor or Patton has recently mentioned the first two albums being reissued on vinyl. I'm not sure there will be any bonus tracks or anything.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    Ipecac’s email newsletter is urging people to check their web store on Monday to preorder 2 special releases “You'd travel the ocean with grinning mouths for these, trust us.”

Very interesting… could be Bungle reissues. The self-titled album’s right should have reverted to the band by now.
    The newsletter quote is about Isis reissues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    The newsletter quote is about Isis reissues.
    Thought that was a possibility too.

The 30th anniversary of the S/T album is a couple weeks off so the band should have the rights to that one at the least

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    Thought that was a possibility too.

The 30th anniversary of the S/T album is a couple weeks off so the band should have the rights to that one at the least

They posted this on Facebook. Definitely Panopticon and Oceanic represses.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    interesting

still bummed FNM doesn't seem to be working on new material. at least they'll be playing live soon.
    I’d love new material, but Sol Invictus has recently been keeping me company after I had kindof forgotten how good it was when since I came out

i can’t think of a better “comeback” album by a band of their era or maybe any era?

if they’re ever going to do another one, I hope it comes about as organically as this one seemed to after reading about it’s genesis

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    I’d love new material, but Sol Invictus has recently been keeping me company after I had kindof forgotten how good it was when since I came out

i can’t think of a better “comeback” album by a band of their era or maybe any era?

if they’re ever going to do another one, I hope it comes about as organically as this one seemed to after reading about it’s genesis
    Sol Invictus has many great moments but I don't come back to it as much as some of the other albums. My biggest issue with it is that it sometimes sounds like demo quality. Especially with a song like Matador where it sounds like they recorded it first and then never bothered to punch it up. I love the live version of that song but on the record I find it barely listenable. I am not saying that they should've spent a tonne of money on a big studio but the material on Introduce Yourself sounds way better sonically and I can't imagine that record cost a lot to make. I do like SI in general though.

I remember reading some interview with Patton or Billy around its release where they mentioned that they might have recorded more songs than what made it on to the record. They went on to say that they might have been planning to release it. That would be cool. Then again they have always released BSides from their past albums so if there were more songs why haven't we heard them?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    They wrote somewhere around 25 songs for Sol Invictus. We got 10 of them and six years later, we still only have 10 of them. Bleh..

I don't think the band was in the same room for much of Sol Invictus; I'm almost positive Mike recorded the vocals somewhere else once the music was put together. It's nice to have new music from FNM because nobody thought we ever would again, but it's also their least accomplished album and it's fucking short..

It has enough to keep coming back to it though. Matador, Superhero and Separation Anxiety are absolute bangers..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Sol Invictus has many great moments but I don't come back to it as much as some of the other albums. My biggest issue with it is that it sometimes sounds like demo quality. Especially with a song like Matador where it sounds like they recorded it first and then never bothered to punch it up. I love the live version of that song but on the record I find it barely listenable. I am not saying that they should've spent a tonne of money on a big studio but the material on Introduce Yourself sounds way better sonically and I can't imagine that record cost a lot to make. I do like SI in general though.
    I read it somewhere recently that they actually recorded the album in their practice space at Billy Gould's house, so it is a little DiY sounding. Patton typically does his vocals from his home studio for most projects.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I also read they recorded it in their practice space - that checks out - and they kinda made do with what they had and made a great record under those circumstances, with Mike recording his vocals from his own place. And that they did write more songs than we've heard but I don't think they all got recorded.

It would be really really cool to get more new material from them, there's been talk in the past few years and news that a few of them get together periodically to jam and write new ideas, it just needs something to properly kick them into album mode.