Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nick Cave Thread

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Beautiful and emotional album, in a way it's like a modern-era "Boatman's call" (not that the album is dated), but also it's an entire different thing like "Push the Sky Away" with another twist.
    It's obviously very personal and i think all the album speaks about his son one way or another; "Girl in Amber", "I need you" and the title track are beautiful songs, fuckin' Cave almost made me cry...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Happy new Nick Cave album release day. I left a friend's after midnight last night and was able to listen to much of the album on the drive home. Wow. Very ambient and raw. It's weird that the vocals don't always sound organic. Like you can hear a hiss on them over the music, like they were sort of just slapped on top. I don't think I've heard an album from him this unpolished. Well, not counting his super early stuff anyway. I'm digging it, but much of it feels like it's lacking the "catchy" feeling that much of Push the Sky Away had.

I also saw One More Time with Feeling last night. Wow. That's a very emotionally heavy movie. Dense. At times it feels like it gets lost in the minutiae, but then you realize that's where you see Cave at his most raw and honest. It's strange to see a man that's been so firm about who he is and what he does for so long in a complete mental mess at times. This tragedy has taken a toll on him and you can tell in the film.

On a lighter note, here's a pic of when I met Nick Cave at SxSW a few years back. I kinda hate putting pictures of myself on the Internet, but I figure everyone will be so fixed on Cave that maybe it'll be ok:
    Last edited by The Doctor; 09-09-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Need to watch "One More Time with Feeling" ASAP!
    I agree that it's a very raw album, so much feeling...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A good film sticks with you the next day and beyond. I woke up with One More Time with Feeling very much in my head. It is a heavy experience, almost unbearable at times. Nick Cave songs have brought me to tears many times and the this film and songs within are no exception. A must see, a must listen.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Skeleton Tree is so great. May turn out to be my favourite Bad Seeds album.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    my son turns 1 in a week, and the idea of losing him really hit home after watching one more with feeling last night. i had listened to the album on the way in to work that morning, but didn't really hear it until sitting in the dark in the theater. the movie moved me to tears at points, and listening to the album today only prolonged the feeling. 'girl in amber' is my favorite.

i agree that the album is very raw and unpolished, but the movie speaks to that, at least from a lyrical point of view. the album feels like a hymnal mass, a funeral of sorts, very repetitive with each line a proclamation of loss. very psalm like, hosannahs, etc. on a related note, i absolutely LOVE the unexpected female vocal on the penultimate track.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    my son turns 1 in a week, and the idea of losing him really hit home after watching one more with feeling last night. i had listened to the album on the way in to work that morning, but didn't really hear it until sitting in the dark in the theater. the movie moved me to tears at points, and listening to the album today only prolonged the feeling. 'girl in amber' is my favorite.

i agree that the album is very raw and unpolished, but the movie speaks to that, at least from a lyrical point of view. the album feels like a hymnal mass, a funeral of sorts, very repetitive with each line a proclamation of loss. very psalm like, hosannahs, etc. on a related note, i absolutely LOVE the unexpected female vocal on the penultimate track.
    My feelings are almost identical for similar reasons. "Girl in Amber" is definitely a highlight for me, along with "Magneto", "Anthrocene" and "I Need You".

Hoping the film gets some kind of physical release in the future.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    This is an incredible LP.

Not wanting to say anything too absolute in how I feel about it yet -- a lot of people are saying "it's his best" and I try to avoid saying that stuff when something's new. But it's definitely up there. Some of his most powerful lyrics, finest vocals and the music is just as eerie, haunting and enthralling as anything they've ever crafted in the studio before. Jesus Alone, Girl in Amber, Skeleton Tree -- all the songs here are great. I'm really interested in if they're going to be doing any touring and taking this stuff out live.

Also really wanting to see the movie, frustrated I'll have to wait for a good while before I get to, but it's great knowing everyone seems to positive about it. I loved the last one, and people seemed less unanimous about it, so it should be right up my alley.

Beautiful stuff, glad to have it. There's been a lot of heartbreaking music this year and this is as good as any that's come out. It's basically Push the Sky Away with electronic aspects woven in, and I can't think of anything I could really complain about when it comes to that considering my sensibilities. Pretty close to flawless to me so far.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I've only heard it once. I was kind of a rough listen. Very depressing. Not saying it's a bad album though. With so many albums out at the same time, it's hard to really get into it, atm.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Now that the new album has been out a while, can we do the time-honored tradition of personal album ranking? Here's mine:

Henry’s Dream
    Boatman’s Call
    Murder Ballads
    Let Love In
    Push The Sky Away
    Your Funeral…My Trial
    Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus
    The Good Son
    Skeleton Tree
    Tender Prey
    Dig!! Lazarus Dig!
    No More Shall We Part
    From Her to Eternity
    Kicking Against the Pricks
    The Firstborn is Dead
    Nocturama

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    1. Dig!!!
    2. Push The Sky Away
    3. Abattoir Blues / Lyre
    4. Skeleton Tree
    5. Let Love In
    6. Murder Ballads
    7. Boatman's Call
    8. Nocturama
    9. No More Shall We Part

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    1. Skeleton Tree
    2. Your Funeral... My Trial
    3. No More Shall We Part
    4. From Her to Eternity
    5. Dig!!!
    6. Push the Sky Away
    7. Tender Prey
    8. Abbattoir Blues / Lyre
    9. The Firstborn is Dead
    10. Boatman's Call

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    1. no more shall we part
    2. your funeral, my trial
    3. let love in
    4. skeleton tree
    5. boatman's call
    6. tender prey
    7. from her to eternity
    8. push the sky away
    9. henry's dream
    10. the first born is dead
    11. abbattoir blues/lyre of orpheus
    12. murder ballads
    13. the good son
    14. kicking against the pricks
    15. dig lazarus dig
    16. nocturama

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Oh man, this is going to be hard...

1. Henry's Dream
    2. Dig Lazarus Dig!!!
    3. Kicking Against the Pricks
    4. The Boatman's Call
    5. Let Love In
    6. Tender Prey
    7. Push the Sky Away
    8. Skeleton Tree
    9. No more shall we Part
    10. The Good Son
    11. Abbattoir blues/Lyre of orpheus
    12. Murder Ballads
    13. Your funeral, My trial
    14. From her to eternity
    15. The first born is dead
    16. Nocturama

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Question for those who've seen Once More With Feeling. Midway through the film he recites a poem with lines like "she's got legs like elevators" -- is there any info about that anywhere? I don't recall ever hearing it before, but I really enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Haven't really digested Skeleton Tree yet. So, I'm not ranking it.

Tender Prey
    Let Love In
    Murder Ballads
    Henry's Dream
    No More Shall We Part
    Abbattoir blues/lyre
    Dig Lazarus Dig
    The Boatman's Call
    Push the Sky Away
    Nocturama
    From Her to Eternity
    Kicking Against the Pricks
    The Good Son
    Your funeral, my trial
    The Firstborn is Dead

If we're including Grinderman, the first album would be above No More Shall We Part. Second album below Dig.
    Last edited by Piko; 09-30-2016 at 10:58 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No More Shall We Part
    Let Love In
    Abattoir blues/lyre
    The Boatman's call
    Henry's Dream
    Dig!!!
    From Her To Eternity
    Push the Sky Away
    The Good Son
    I'm not sure where Skeleton Tree fits in yet but most likely it will be amongst the top few.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Woohoo!!!!

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 2017 Tour Dates:
    01/13 – Hobart, AU @ Derwent Entertainment Centre
    01/15 – Ballarat, AU @ North Gardens
    01/17 – Wellington, NZ @ TSB Bank Arena
    01/18 – Auckland, NZ @ Vector Arena
    01/20 – Sydney, AU @ ICC Sydney Theatre
    01/21 – Sydney, AU @ ICC Sydney Theatre
    01/22 – Newcastle, AU @ Newcastle Entertainment Centre
    01/25 – Brisbane, AU @ Riverstage
    01/27 – Melbourne, AU @ Sydney Myer Music Bowl
    01/28 – Melbourne, AU @ Sydney Myer Music Bowl
    01/29 – Adelaide, AU @ Adelaide Entertainment Centre
    01/31 – Perth, AU @ Perth Arena
    05/26 – Brooklyn, NY @ Kings Theatre
    05/29 – Montreal, Quebec @ Metropolis
    05/31 – Toronto, ON @ Massey Hall
    06/01 – Toronto, ON @ Massey Hall
    06/03 – Detroit, MI @ Masonic Temple Theatre
    06/05 – Philadelphia, PA @ Electric Factory
    06/07 – Asheville, NC @ Thomas Wolfe Auditorium
    06/08 – Pittsburgh, PA @ The Warhol at Carnegie Music Hall
    06/10 – Boston, MA @ Boch Center Wang Theatre
    06/13 – New York, NY @ Beacon Theatre
    06/14 – New York, NY @ Beacon Theatre
    06/16 – Chicago, IL @ Auditorium Theatre
    06/18 – Denver, CO @ Paramount Theatre
    06/19 – Salt Lake City, UT @ Kingsbury Hall
    06/21 – Portland, OR @ Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall
    06/22 – Vancouver, BC @ Queen Elizabeth Theatre
    06/24 – Berkeley, CA @ Greek Theatre
    06/26 – San Diego, CA @ Civic Theatre
    06/29 – Los Angeles, CA @ Greek Theatre

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Well this is quite exciting. I've never seen Nick live, and I was half expecting him to quit touring to be honest. Fingers very much crossed then for European dates. I'd hope for Brixton, but Hammersmith would be acceptable. *drums fingers on desk / refreshes Twitter*

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Christ I hope I can get tix tomorrow morning. The guy typically sells out Montreal within moments, experience has taught me.

Edit: Yoink! After 2 missed occasions, this time I'm finally getting to see him.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 10-28-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Any chance I should hold out for a string of dates closer to the South being announced, or just say fuck it and start planning a trip next summer? I remember the Sky tour had a stretch of shows closer to FL but still not in it, and I'm wondering if I should expect a NOLA or ATL date later on or not.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...15-gtrxtf.html

Good to see Nick back on stage. Still waiting on European dates. There must be someone here from down-under seeing him this month? I'd be interested to hear more about how the shows are going down.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just announced: 'Lovely Creatures - The Best of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds'
    Looks pretty nice. The deluxe edition is quite a set, although I might be inclined to stick with the 3 x CD and DVD collection, just because that looks decent enough on its own and is a bit more affordable.
    Looks like there's nothing new music wise, but the regular CD edition makes a good collection in its own right, and no doubt will make a good 'Introduction to'.

Now that I know I'll be seeing them live later in the year I'm wondering how this release will effect the upcoming tours. I'm not sure how much of the 'down under' tour focused on Skeleton Tree (avoiding potential spoilers), but I wonder if it was decided to shift the focus away from that and One More Time With Feeling (which is available to buy soon on, I believe) and we'll see more of a Greatest Hits tour from here on. Either way, I won't complain.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    oh, actually if this tour becomes a greatest hits tour by the time it hits the states next month, i'm going to be sorely disappointed. i've seen nick four times now- the last thing i need is a setlist heavily picked from the same stuff he usually plays. i'd love to see skeleton tree material as a huge centerpiece.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i still can't get into skeleton tree. i've tried three times, listened all the way through, and it just doesn't do anything for me. i feel the same way about "push the sky away" so i guess i just kind of lost interest in the direction the band has taken...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm still not sure if I want to watch One More Time With Feeling again, as good as it was, but it's available to buy today, and there's a new clip up for the occasion:

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    still can't get into skeleton tree. idunno. i feel like Me & That Man are doing what i wish nick cave was still doing, so i'm gonna keep spinning that album and older bad seeds stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting. I saw the film last September and got chills listening to the Steve McQueen segment. Got them again revisiting via this clip. Yeah someone's gotta sing the stars and rain and who better than Nick Cave?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    First up - there's a brief interview in The Guardian this week:
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-write-tragedy

I like that he's just got into The Smiths. Interesting to confirm that Steve McQueen comes from writing after Arthur's sad death, in case there was any doubt.

Then of course we have the release of Lovely Creatures today. I was planning on picking up the 3 x CD / DVD version, but I feel very slightly annoyed that the 2 x CD set is a more interesting set - it largely includes single versions of the songs, including an edit of Jubilee Street, which I don't think has been on CD before (and that of course is 'not available separately' https://www.7digital.com/artist/nick...plicit-6401596).