Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2013.09.28 - St. Paul, MN @ Xcel Energy Center

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Crowd is dancing and loves the everything is not ok line

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Weird smoky lights, almost like northern lights but pink, magenta, blue show on the cage. Never seen anything like it. He's throwing closer lyrics in in. Kinda weird. 'Let me violate you!' Into the nice dreamy synth arp at the end

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Disappointed.

Pretty crazy geometric patterns on the cage. Feels low tech which works with the filtered vocals which sounds like castaway. Melds into matrix like lines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINisamazing View Post
    Drunk echoing the sound posts^
    Yep I'm drunk. Should I stop recapping the show?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Complete Setlist:

1. Copy of A
    2. 1,000,000
    3. Terrible Lie
    4. March Of The Pigs
    5. Piggy
    6. All Time Low
    7. Disappointed
    8. Came Back Haunted
    9. Find My Way
    10. Satellite
    11. I Would For You
    12. Survivalism
    13. Running
    14. A Warm Place
    15. Somewhat Damaged
    16. Wish
    17. Only
    18. The Hand That Feeds
    19. Head Like A Hole

Encore

20. Even Deeper
    21. In This Twilight
    22. While I'm Still Here
    23. Black Noise
    24. Hurt
    Last edited by Collin; 09-28-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought we were going to get Into The Void. I wonder why they played it in soundcheck but not in the show. Maybe it's not quite ready for primetime yet?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Satisfuckingfied!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow.

AMAZING show. Yes, I think the visuals were better than LITS. It's hard to believe they only had three weeks to pull that together. Well done, everyone!

I took my almost 12 year old son to the show and he was blown away... but, he has a headache now

My highlights were the insane visuals during Disappointed and Running. WOW!
    I took a lot of videos, will post the best stuff tomorrow.
    Goodnight.

Dennis

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Maybe I'm just bitchy from having shoulder surgery 2 days ago, but my one word review would be Disappointed.

Pino Palladino might be great from a technical perspective, but he has all the stage presence of a potted plant. Trent's mic stand moves more than this guy.

Somebody needs to teach Ilan that there are other ways of hitting drums than As Hard As You Fucking Can. He really needs to go back to pads on the more electronic songs.

& after the killing the festival shows, Josh reminds me of Milton from Office Space, after they hired Pino somebody forgot to tell him his services were no longer needed & he just kept showing up so they let him stay. I can't imagine this was supposed to be his role in the Eric Avery/Adrian Belew version of the band.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    why, what does Josh do when pino is playing bass?
    2nd/3rd guitar on songs that really don't have much guitar?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Skullboy! I was behind you in line chatting! Glad I got to meet a lot of you. Sorry if I ignored you. I felt like a bit of a celebrity walking into that place and everyone swarming me. I am a bit of an introvert and was very stoned and drunk. I gave away a lot of free still cds and shirts. Hopefully some of you here got one.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    And the guy front and center on the rail next to me. For the love of god and nin wipe your ass and change your pants before the show starts. Seriously he had to have pooped himself. I hope to never see you again...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenly_bearded View Post
    Skullboy! I was behind you in line chatting! Glad I got to meet a lot of you. Sorry if I ignored you. I felt like a bit of a celebrity walking into that place and everyone swarming me. I am a bit of an introvert and was very stoned and drunk. I gave away a lot of free still cds and shirts. Hopefully some of you here got one.
    Were you the guy in the Echoing The Sound shirt? I almost said "Hey, I'm skullboy0 on ETS" but I lurk more than I post so I didn't think I'd be as "Internet famous"

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    Were you the guy in the Echoing The Sound shirt? I almost said "Hey, I'm skullboy0 on ETS" but I lurk more than I post so I didn't think I'd be as "Internet famous"
    I had the onlt ets shirt there that I saw so yes

My drunken friend kept trying to steal your spot.

Only a month and a half until Las Vegas!

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    I had the onlt ets shirt there that I saw so yes

My drunken friend kept trying to steal your spot.

Only a month and a half until Las Vegas!

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Lol echo... stupid fancy phone

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Holy hell! I'd like to strongly disagree with anyone who said that was a disappointing show - it was fucking awesome. I loved how heavy it was on Hesitation Marks tracks.

Other observations:
    * While Running hasn't been my favorite track on the new album, I thought it kicked ass live.
    * Josh on Saxophone on While I'm Still Here!
    * The out-of-sync sillhouettes during THTF are pretty awesome, they look better than they did at the festivals (IMO), though the out-of-sync over-the-head clapping on Trent still looks weird
    * The two female backup singers added a lot to the songs (though I agree they started out too low in the mix). Even Deeper is simply massive.
    * Some technical glitches caused a bit of a pause before Find My Way (and a shorter pause afterwards)
    * Trent said that we got to hear a "special remix" of Came Back Haunted, I guess things didn't go quite how they had planned during that song, though I honestly didn't notice.
    * The crowd on the floor seemed largely into it from where I was. Plenty of just-standing-around of course, but the ratio of standing:dancing-or-whatever seemed good.
    * Hello to the folks I was talking to back at the sound/mixing area!
    * I can tell I'm not going to be able to move tomorrow.
    * All Time Low!

If I had to choose just one acronym to describe the show, it would have to be "omfg."

If I had to pick just one phrase, it would be "Woo, Nine Inch Nails! They're good!"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I got home at about 12:30 AM this morning. This concert is still swimming in my head. There were a few technical glitches (but that's to be expected on the first date of the tour). The visuals were very, very intriguing, in my opinion. As for the two backup singers, they were an interesting addition, but where I was blown away was their vocals on "Even Deeper." Holy. Fucking. Shit.

This was my first NIN show in the stands rather than the floor. (The husband wanted seats so that's what we got.) I was able to take in the visual experience more than I could the last times I saw NIN live. The only downside of the seats was some woman a row in front of me who was just plain obnoxious during the quieter songs. Lady, I thought that your "FUCK YEAHs" and "WOOOOOOs" totally killed any emotion that the songs had.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    How was A Warm Place?
    It was pretty massive - definitely less "delicate" than the album version. In the end I think I probably prefer it on the album, but I would gladly see it live hundreds more times. I'm pretty sure the band was completely hidden during the track, btw - perhaps there was some Alessandro outlines behind the graphics that I missed, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    So were the backing singers a worthwhile addition?
    I think they totally were. They were low in the mix originally, but they added some really nice texture to the songs. For the most part they were doing backing vox during the choruses and stuff. Much as I do seriously enjoy Robin's screeching, etc, I'm glad they were there to take on, for instance, the end-song All Time Low vocals.

@leo3375 already mentioned Even Deeper (as did I), but I'll reiterate that it was absolutely massive, in part thanks to the backup singers.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    Were the backup singers on stage for every song?
    The first song they came out for was All Time Low, and they stayed onstage for quite awhile after that... I think all the way through Running. Then they were back on for Even Deeper - I actually don't recall how long they stayed out after that - certainly they weren't there anymore by Hurt.

Oh, and for anyone curious about timing: EITS was on at 8:00 and played for about 40 minutes or so. NIN went on around 9:20 and played for 2 hours. Fun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    What I would like to know is - who sang the 'shut the goddam door' bit in All Time Low?
    Trent and the girls

www.instagram.com/p/eteB35TPXy

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    I assume everyone who wanted one got a poster? I have a hard time calling those things very limited. If the band is done and you see them on the merch stand as you walk out of the building, how limited are they?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I thought the tour journals were reserved for posts from folks who attended the shows.

Anyhow, I'm still soaking in the experience but I totally had a blast from the get-go. I got into the queue around 10:30a and enjoyed the indoor setup outside of the rain. The snippets of songs rehearsed during the day certainly was entertaining as I had no idea what was in store for the show proper.

Around 4:00 the full band did a soundcheck and shortly thereafter the outside merch booth was setup (thankfully, I exited where the larger merch booth was setup and could compare inventories). While folks were queueing up for the merch, Robin, Ally, Illan, Josh, and a few tech guys came out with a huge cart stacked with pizzas. That was completely nuts and unexpected!

So, the tone was set for the evening's performance and I was quite pleased by the initial framework for the gig. I absolutely loved the reworked version of Copy of A and think it's a great evolution from the Festival version. The visuals were a very much akin to LITS in terms of the layered screens adding a sense of depth to the flat stage.

The addition of Lisa & Sharlotte is a genius move and they added a lot of "soul" (for lack of a better word) to the performance. The singing on "Even Deeper" is a definite standout (I hope there's video somewhere), but "In This Twilight", "All Time Low" & "Running" were pretty fucking great as well.

As far as technical screw-ups, nothing got broken as far as I could tell. TR was having some mic issues and his piano wasn't working for a time (especially during CBH), but there was nary a tantrum. It did seem like they omitted a song while waiting for things to kick back into gear. Has a printed setlist surfaced yet?

My only "complaint" would be the placement of "Black Noise" before "Hurt." I think it would be better served to either use that before the encore or have it before a different song. It just felt strange to me, but that could be a harsh first impression. We'll see how it goes in the next show.

Fuck yeah! This was a fun start and I'm excited to see more!
    Last edited by FULLMETAL; 09-29-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: added parenthesis

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    fucking amazing show.
    highlights for me were MOTP, All Time Low, I Would For You, Find My Way, A Warm Place, and Terrible Lie. The entire show was insane though.
    sorry we couldn't get together H-B, my phone died during EITS..

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    fucking amazing show.
    highlights for me were MOTP, All Time Low, I Would For You, Find My Way, A Warm Place, and Terrible Lie. The entire show was insane though.
    sorry we couldn't get together H-B, my phone died during EITS..
    You still in town?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^
    The pizzas are such a nice touch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    So were the backing singers a worthwhile addition?
    I think they added to the songs they were used for, & Trent left them out of the songs where they might come off as silly (my earlier comment of synchronized fist fuck/pump motions during "Wish", or reworking "Closer" into a duet). I started heading out during Only & left the building during THTF so I could get back to the hotel & ice my shoulder. So I missed Even Deeper & While I'm Still Here, but I'm sure they were great on them.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I honestly thought the show was ending after THTF/HLAH..they even displayed the 'NIN' logo for a few seconds after HLAH before taking it down. So glad it didn't end there.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    That could be it- looks about right, where they seemed to have to pause for awhile.

This is is just my guess- but possibly 'Only' had a tech issue. They always have insane visuals for that song, and it got just a standard lighting for it. Kinect down maybe?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Pretty decent clip of disappointed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free