Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fragile - the ULTIMATE re-issue

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i know this disconnection with "the fragile" carpenoctem is telling us.
    it's when you try to explain to yourself why the album has such power that everyone points to, and you can't find one major reason.
    instead you have bits and pieces that don't grab your attention instantly, they accumulate day by day.
    there's no immediate guarantee that you'll accept the overall theme of separation and disjointness.
    however, it's perfectly OK to skip some songs - it leaves more room for later "revelations" (some of "filler" might turn to one's favourite tracks eventually)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah that's pretty much what happens with most albums, for me. I end up liking the "filler" tracks much later, after I've worn out the incredible tracks from incessant replaying. Then I can enjoy the album as a whole. The Fragile is my current revelation.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    What are these "filler" tracks on The Fragile that you people speak of? : /

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Filler tracks? Blasphemy.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    No, You Don't, Starfuckers, Complication, Where Is Everybody...

I mean maybe not filler, but they're certainly terrible.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    butter_hole:
    No, You Don't, Starfuckers, Complication, Where Is Everybody...

I soooo disagree with this whole example

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    No, You Don't = run of the mill nu-metal TR-angst right in the middle of the best 50-odd minutes of music he's ever written.

Starfuckers = do I even have to say?

Complication = maybe not TERRIBLE, but does it even need to exist?

Where Is Everybody? = CRYING and LYING and DYING and RHYMING and DICTIONARY and KNOCKED OFF LYRICS and SHITTY SONG and

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm sorry, but Complication is NOT a filler. One of my all-time favorite tracks. Excellent concept.
    And once you hear the mashup 'Complications of the flesh', you really get the jist of it.

Basically, if you don't dig Complication, you must think the entire Ghosts album is a 'filler'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    No, You Don't = run of the mill nu-metal TR-angst right in the middle of the best 50-odd minutes of music he's ever written.

Starfuckers = do I even have to say?

Complication = maybe not TERRIBLE, but does it even need to exist?

Where Is Everybody? = CRYING and LYING and DYING and RHYMING and DICTIONARY and KNOCKED OFF LYRICS and SHITTY SONG and

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i too disagree about Complication, but the other three are kinda bad. especially Starfuckers. What a shit song that SO sticks out like a sore thumb. Starfuckers without the lyrics kicks ass though.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Where Is Everybody...

WHAAAAAT!? Where is Everybody is top notch! This was one of my instant faviourtes on the Right Side. The Things Falling apart remix by Danny Lohner is badass as well, maybe a little more badass than the original.

I was always a little choked that during his "I'm going to bust out all the rarest of the rare songs live" binge during his final leg of touring in 2009 he never brought "Where is everybody" to the table, goddamn that would have been a badass song to hear live with the pumping Bass!

EDIT: I all of a sudden had an urge to listen to Things Falling Apart, I have to consider this the best of the NIN remix albums! Damn, This is gooood, haven't heard this in a while.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 02-20-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ishtmail View Post
    I'm sorry, but Complication is NOT a filler. One of my all-time favorite tracks. Excellent concept.
    And once you hear the mashup 'Complications of the flesh', you really get the jist of it.

Basically, if you don't dig Complication, you must think the entire Ghosts album is a 'filler'.
    When you have to hear a remix to truly appreciate it, then you've DEFINITELY got yourself a shitty song.

And your second part just makes no sense whatsoever but okay.

I'm not saying I'm right, just giving my opinions (and I ain't alone!)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Regarding No, you don't/Starfuckers...for me they always felt like a breath of fresh air, they provide contrast after darker songs.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I'm not saying I'm right, just giving my opinions (and I ain't alone!)
    There are better threads for trolling^Wthat - can we try to keep this one to discussion of what the reissue will entail?

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Ok, I think the re-issue will be without the fillers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah Where Is Everybody is fucking awesome. It was one of those rare times where I heard the original song after the remix, which I was already in love with at the time so maybe that had something to do with it. That entire instrumental section from 3:33 onwards is one of the many high points of The Fragile for me...

Come on Deluxe Edition, I have faith in your existence...I think

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The reissue is going to be a 4 hour video of Trent laughing at us for getting so worked up.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The remix of Where Is Everybody? on Things Falling Apart made me appreciation the original song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I definitely feel like Complication and Underneath It All don't need to exist. They are only there to bridge the gaps between more awesome songs. Starfuckers, of course, is generally ignored by the devoted or hated by the haters. The Way Out Is Through is fairly underwhelming too, especially as the opening track of the second disc (though to be fair, it's hard to match Somewhat Damaged). Basically I feel like every track on the second disc that is not Into the Void, Please, The Big Come Down or Ripe (With Decay) is simply there to prepare us for those four. I used to feel more negatively about this but now I enjoy the second disc, though I still think the same thing about it.

I do admit I haven't heard Appendage or 10 Miles High or any other B-side, and it would be nice to have them on the deluxe edition. There were a lot of interesting ideas on The Fragile even if not all of them panned out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I hope the deluxe edition will feature the full album! I mean with Appendage, 10 Miles High and The New Flesh in the continuity. Also, I always felt like the end of Where is Everybody? sounded like the beginning of another song and then it cuts into The Mark Has Been Made. Is it just me?

Will And All That Could Have Been, Leaving Hope, Gone,Still, The Persistence of Loss and Adrift and at Peace be included in any way?

I always thought And All That Could Have Been was an amazing song and it would really fit well somewhere on The Fragile (right)...imo

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    I definitely feel like Complication and Underneath It All don't need to exist. They are only there to bridge the gaps between more awesome songs. ... The Way Out Is Through is fairly underwhelming too ... Basically I feel like every track on the second disc that is not Into the Void, Please, The Big Come Down or Ripe (With Decay) is simply there to prepare us for those four.
    I've been wincing throughout this page, but these sentiments inflicted physical pain (well, it made me jiggle my leg irritably, that counts as pain in my cushy little world). Underneath It All's my favourite track on the disc.
    Ultimately though, NIN fans are incredibly individual and varied in their opinions, and as far as I've seen, nowhere is this more evident than in The Fragile. So many opinion splitters on that album, and I'd be stunned to find any two fans with the exact same view. As much as some of this page's statements might baffle me, I know there are plenty of people out there who'd facepalm at my low opinion of Please.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    if Trent every decided to sing Underneath It All live, i would lose my shit. i know i'd be one of the few at the show to care, but i'd be so excited. I know it doesn't exactly lend itself to a live performance, but i just love how evil the electronic backbeat is in that track.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love Underneath It All! Usually when it comes on in my shuffle I'll restart it a few times, I love how the vocals fade in out of the instruments. The drums at the beginning are oddly unsettling, I had a girlfriend who wouldn't listen to it because she said the beat just didn't sit right with her. Pain in the ass. But UIA is one of the highlights of the Right side.
    Last edited by MrSlfDstruct; 02-20-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I mentioned above that I would have loved to hear "Where is Everybody?" Live, and I was going at that time include "Underneath it all" in that post, but I decided not too, but now that someone else has brought it up - Yes! I would love to hear that song live as well, one of the better tracks on the album. Actually I'd really like to hear those 2 and "I'm Looking Forward To Joining You Finally" and "Ripe (With Decay)", those 4 tracks there are the best of the right side, including The Big comedown, Into the void and the mark has been made...

Damn, I think I just realzied the right side is better than the left. Wait... No... Left has Somewhat Damaged, TDTWWA, WITT, The Frail/The Wretched, The Great Below, The Fragile and Just Like you imagined! WOW!

Remind me why people didn't (or still don't) like this album again?

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Remind me why people didn't (or still don't) like this album again?
    About half the album I love, and half of it I don't care for much at all. But the good stuff was really good.

And I'll echo everyone's love for "Underneath It All." That is an awesome song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    About half the album I love, and half of it I don't care for much at all. But the good stuff was really good.
    Apparently New!ETS won't let you repost just a quote (it doesn't count as the first 10 characters?) so I just have to say: This.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Apparently New!ETS won't let you repost just a quote (it doesn't count as the first 10 characters?) so I just have to say: This.
    Or you could click the "Like this post" link.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I do admit I haven't heard Appendage or 10 Miles High or any other B-side, and it would be nice to have them on the deluxe edition. There were a lot of interesting ideas on The Fragile even if not all of them panned out.
    What are you waiting for? 10 Miles High is my favorite NIN track (#1 on my list).

Here's appendage -

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    http://twitter.com/#!/rob_sheridan/s...50139649228800

Same old. Good to know its still on the cards, though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It kinda confuses me what you folks are expecting from a album re-issue, it's not like we were starved of material from the original release.

I mean we already got the original double album and..

Alternate album tracks for vinyl & casette.
    Cd singles featuring unreleased tracks, alternate edits & remixes.
    The 'Still' album featuring brand new tracks.
    A remix album featuring some of the best remixes out there and a cover of 'Metal'.
    About a dozen tracks from remix.nin featuring unreleased remixes, old website music etc..
    A live album which includes bonus material etc..
    Promo video's for the album, fragility bootlegs and probably loads more i can't think of..

I've never saw such a rediculous amount of material from one album, so what besides all that can be left for a 'Ultimate' re-issue?