Thread: Sigur Ros - Jonsi and Alex - Jonsi

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Not exactly what I was hoping for...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I actually really liked that. Strong Sigur Ros vibes, for me at least.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I'm watching Heima again and this film is just beautiful. Sigur Ros are a world treasure & I hope to see them one day in a co-headlining show with Bjork where they each do two hour sets.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New 11 track album Shiver drops October 2, features Robyn and Liz Fraser (!!). Swill is definitely a new vibe for him, and you best believe I preordered the shit out of this.

Preorder link.

1. Exhale
    2. Shiver
    3. Cannibal (with Liz Fraser)
    4. Wildeye
    5. Sumariđ Sem Aldrei Kom
    6. Kórall
    7. Salt Licorice (with Robyn)
    8. Hold
    9. Swill
    10. Grenade
    11. Beautiful Boy

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Those variants are a thing of beauty. Really excited for this one, especially since it's produced by A.G. Cook.

I still adore "Go", but it's hard to listen to that album now. His 2010 show at the Vic Theatre in Chicago was the first show my Mom and I saw together of something that I was really into and it just brings back a lot of memories of that trip. She passed this year nearly almost around the same time as the show a decade ago and it's hard for me to be in that head space and not get sad missing her.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

This is beautiful.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New track is uhh.... it's something.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    First listen though of Shiver and I really dig it...there are a few tracks that sort of go for the vibe he was going for a bit too much (see Salt Licorice above) but Cannibal is still of course amazing, Wildeye starts off a bit hectic but really fleshes out nicely. A few very SR-esque mellower tracks in the middle and it finishes off strong.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    First listen though of Shiver and I really dig it...there are a few tracks that sort of go for the vibe he was going for a bit too much (see Salt Licorice above) but Cannibal is still of course amazing, Wildeye starts off a bit hectic but really fleshes out nicely. A few very SR-esque mellower tracks in the middle and it finishes off strong.

How would you compare this to Go? I really enjoyed Go, went to see it in concert and was floored, but all the tracks that I've heard of Shiver have left me cold...nothing sticks out.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    There are scenes from this in Heima, right?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    How would you compare this to Go? I really enjoyed Go, went to see it in concert and was floored, but all the tracks that I've heard of Shiver have left me cold...nothing sticks out.
    To be honest, I feel there are only a few parts here and there that resemble Go, or SR at all...the middle of the album is where that mostly happens. Also, for me anyways, that's actually the stuff on the album (up to and including Salt Licorice) that is the least memorable too. Nothing bad about it, but a few of the more orchestral, mellower SR-esque tracks like Sumario and Korall...they just sort of meander a bit and I can't recall much about them off the top of my head. The beginning and end of the album is where it really shines for me.

It's definitely different though, for what it's worth lol. Oh and yes, there are scenes from ORM in Heima indeed.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Really digging this.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Jonsi surprise releasing new album tomorrow!

Obsidian

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Jonsi surprise releasing new album tomorrow!

Obsidian
    I'm still a few tracks from the end on my first playthrough, but it's a really gorgeous album. Definitely a return to the Sigur Rós-ish ambient style that he'd tried to get away from w/ Shiver. A good way to head into November, for sure.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Whoa. It appears there's something in the works with Kjartan. Perhaps a ( ) anniversary tour or something?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Confirmed apparently that Kjartan has decided to officially return to Sigur Ros.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ahh noice, hopefully it's not just the ( ) anniversary, but to promote new material!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Ahh noice, hopefully it's not just the ( ) anniversary, but to promote new material!
    Their newest social media post shows the three of them recording at a studio in Reykjavik, with an engineer. I think they will have a new album out for this tour.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Their newest social media post shows the three of them recording at a studio in Reykjavik, with an engineer. I think they will have a new album out for this tour.
    Oh, I saw that. I just assumed it could as easily be for bonus content or new mixes, etc. for a ( ) reissue or something, so they'd have that to sell on the tour.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Oh, I saw that. I just assumed it could as easily be for bonus content or new mixes, etc. for a ( ) reissue or something, so they'd have that to sell on the tour.
    I really doubt they would have an orchestra at Abbey Road just for bonus content for ( ), I'm pretty confident a new album is on the way.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Double post, tour announcement. Imma go broke with all these concerts!

Sigur Rós 2022 Tour Dates:
    04/30 – Jojutla, MX @ Festival Vaivén
    05/03 – Monterrey, MX @ Citibanamex Auditorium
    05/05 – Guadalajara, MX @ Auditorio Telmex
    05/09 – Vancouver, BC @ Orpheum Theatre
    05/11 – Portland, OR @ Theater of the Clouds
    05/13 – Seattle, WA @ Paramount Theatre
    05/17 – Stanford, CA @ Frost Amphitheater
    05/19 – Los Angeles, CA @ Shrine Auditorium
    05/23 – Austin, TX @ ACL Live at the Moody Theater
    05/24 – Austin, TX @ ACL Live at the Moody Theater
    05/25 – Dallas, TX @ Winspear Opera House
    05/27 – Atlanta, GA @ Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre
    05/28 – Nashville, TN @ Ryman Auditorium
    05/31 – Minneapolis, MN @ State Theatre
    06/10 – Milwaukee, WI @ Riverside Theater
    06/03 – Detroit, MI @ Masonic Temple Theatre
    06/04 – Chicago, IL @ Auditorium Theatre
    06/06 – Washington, D.C. @ The Anthem
    06/07 – Philadelphia, PA @ The Met Philadelphia
    06/08 – Boston, MA @ Wang Theatre
    06/10 – Montreal, QC @ Place des Arts
    06/11 – Toronto, ON @ Meridian Hall
    06/14 – Brooklyn, NY @ Kings Theatre
    06/17 – New York, NY @ Beacon Theatre
    06/18 – New York, NY @ Beacon Theatre

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Also confirmed that a new album is in the works!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I got two tickets for the Stanford show, row F Pre-sale was a breeze, I wonder who will be drumming? I was reading the Sigur Ros reddit and I didn't know that Orri was not the original drummer, someone else, Agust (forgot his last name) drummed in Von and AB. And someone else in that Reddit mentioned the drummer for the first Jonsi solo tour, yeah, he was quite good as well.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Incredibly disappointing to see them doubling down on trying to make NFTs happen.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endlessly View Post
    Incredibly disappointing to see them doubling down on trying to make NFTs happen.
    Oh fucking hell, that is quite disappointing indeed. Bah.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I went to see them about three weeks ago, in Stanford. The weirdest thing happened to me during the show: we got to our seats kinda late, but before the show started. We walked through our whole row without finding our seats, and then realized that someone else had taken our seats, so we asked them to move and the people did not have any trouble moving to their seats. During all this we realized this was a big group of people, which included the people in our seats, and it seemed like they were Icelandic. Anyways, the show starts and the sound is PERFECT. Just PERFECT. And we had amazing seats, we were like 7th row, almost dead center. They start with a lot of () and Takk... songs. Halfway through the show Jónsi says: "by the way the President is here...(pause)...the President of Iceland, that is". And the guy to my left me shyly lifts his hand. I ask my wife to google "President of Iceland" because it'd be too obvious if I was googling the guy right next to me. She says "it very much looks like him". The show finishes, the band gets a huge standing ovation, and someone in the band makes eye contact with the guy next to me. So, once the band leaves the stage and I turn to this guy and ask him if he is the President of Iceland, and he said "yeah, I am" (Guđni Th. Jóhannesson). We tell him that we've both been to Iceland and we like their country very much. He said they are really happy with Sigur Rós, they are perfect ambassadors to the country. We asked him to take a picture with us and he sure did! Nicest guy. He was rocking out to Popplagio by the way. I started following him on Twitter and he was in the Bay Area to talk to some of the IT companies here (Apple, Google, etc.) to see how they could contribute to save the Icelandic language (apparently less people speak it nowadays, than before). This is a story for the grandchildren, if I ever have them. Granted, in Iceland the head of state is the Prime Minister, the President is more of a PR type person, but still, I can say that I've rocked out next to a word leader.

Show was amazing. The only complaint I have is that I think they played 4 or 5 less songs in Stanford than the other stops in the tour, it must have been a University curfew. They only played one new song, as opposed to the 3-4 new songs they were playing. The one I heard sounded fantastic, very atmospheric, and evoked Valtari a bit. Definitely excited for the future of this band. Again, a Takk...and () heavy set, but all their other albums were represented (except for Von). The venue was great, it was an outdoor theater, no roof, in the middle of the University, lots of trees around the venue. At the show I bought the Agaetis Byrjun 20th Anniversary CD set, it is lovely and has some cool liner notes.

Last edited by cahernandez; 05-29-2022 at 07:04 PM.