Page 107 of 215 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 117 157 207 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,210 of 6440

Thread: 2016 Presidential Election

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Ted Cruz is a coward. No, not for not endorsing Trump, but for delivering a passive aggressive speech instead of just saying how he really felt.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ugh, i can't wait for 2017. 2016 has been great so far on a personal level but this mindfuck of a nightmare wont end. just fucking, ugh.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDrug View Post
    ugh, i can't wait for 2017. 2016 has been great so far on a personal level but this mindfuck of a nightmare wont end. just fucking, ugh.
    I sometimes comfort myself knowing that politics are even more of a shitshow in Europe right now...

On the other hand, I applied for the citizenship this year, just so I can vote for the very first time in my life. It's still pending, but there's a good chance that I will get sworn in before October 6th, which would give me enough time to register to vote in Florida. I think this is a good election to participate in for the first time, can't wait!!!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    What a disaster the RNC convention was. From all the no-shows to the plagiarized speech of Melania Trump and even more disturbing original denial position from the Trump campaign. From a failed attempt to change the rules to Ted Cruz declining to support Trump by declaring "vote your conscience" and to Laura Ingraham nazi salute (it wasn't even subtle).
    It really was a big display of how fucked up that party is.

Sam Harris said it best, he'd rather vote for 4 years of Hillary which means status quo than for Trump who may end civilization as we know it. His dissection of Trump on the Joe Rogan Experience was pretty interesting.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    What a disaster the RNC convention was. From all the no-shows to the plagiarized speech of Melania Trump and even more disturbing original denial position from the Trump campaign. From a failed attempt to change the rules to Ted Cruz declining to support Trump by declaring "vote your conscience" and to Laura Ingraham nazi salute (it wasn't even subtle).

Sam Harris said it best, he'd rather vote for 4 years of Hillary which means status quo than for Trump who may end civilization as we know it. His dissection of Trump on the Joe Rogan Experience was pretty interesting.
    Harris has articulated this more in a fleshed-out and biting matter on one of his podcast episodes. I don't agree with everything he [Harris] says but it's the best critique I've heard yet of Trump.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    ... and Laura Ingraham nazi salute (it wasn't even subtle).
    History will look back at this. One of the main parties in America, in 2016. The fact that a Nazi salute made it ONTO the big stage is very telling.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    It's a funny picture. But it ain't that serious.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    yeah, I mean, it's a raised hand at an angle, if she'd slapped her left hand over it near the elbow, that'd be something different. We don't need to look for coded language, like whether Mike Pence dropped some kind of illuminati gesture as he walked on stage (though that was a bit weird). There's enough insanity on full display here.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    A picture might be deceiving but the a video doesn't lie. that's not even fucking subtle. The crisp and snap of the elbow. I mean looks and quacks like a duck, it's because it's a duck.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I mean, come on... I think the obsession over this is reaching. Let's not get wrapped up in this conspiracy theory junk. That's what has driven such a wedge in the left this cycle.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This is definitely a case of people being overly paranoid. It's an awkward wave people.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    As is usually the case with these conspiracy theories, you need to ask "WHY?!" Why in the hell would she make a nazi salute!? Is this like a Dr Strangelove thing, and she just can't help it? Not buying it.

Anyway, I got to sit in on the wednesday taping of Real Time with Bill Maher. Was really interesting, and Michael Moore seemed pretty genuine when he said he thought Trump was going to win. We need to stop laughing at the clown, we need to stop worrying about potential Nazi salutes... We need to be serious, because like Gingrich said, this isn't just the election of the next sitting president, this is about supreme court seats.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Are there a lot of people who think the Nazi salute is real? Everyone I know has just been laughing about it.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I wasn't getting THAT worked up over it, but I do think that she was consciously trolling with it... It doesn't really matter, but I think it's real.
    Again, not because she's a Nazi, but because she is a troll.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I wouldn't try to make a case of it if it wasn't because the subject at hand is Laura Ingraham. She said some crazy ass shit before. I do think she did it on purpose just to fuck with people.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I don't think he has a chance of winning, but I will not be comfortable until it's official that he loses. Nobody should. It's that he's this far in it at all that should have people worried.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

2016 Presidential Election

He's got a chance, at the beginning of this circus nobody thought he had a chance to get the nomination. It's terrifying

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Meanwhile, Michelle Obama's Carpool Karoake is awesome

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    low liberal turn out because a lot of liberals are so uninspired by Hilary.
    You say uninspired, I say despise. If Trump wins, it won't be because Democrats and Independents don't feel inspired by Hillary. It'll be because a majority of the voting public range from "I don't trust her" to "she should be in jail" to "I genuinely hate her."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I don't think he has a chance of winning, but I will not be comfortable until it's official that he loses.
    Seen from here, I think he has a reasonable chance to win, because as usual, the people who'll vote for him aren't only Trump supporters, aren't only Hillary "haters". They'll vote for him because, just like our dear friend @Sallos, they want the SJW fascists to shut the fuck up once and for all.

They're tired to be backed in a corner at every step, isolated when they talk about immigration, when they talk about gender equality, when they talk about foreign policy, when they talk about traditional values and the sanctity of marriage... Trump represents the chance to have the upper hand and make everyone shut their mouth, or so they think.

And as much as I really don't agree (understatement) with their views, I get it. The social justice discourse has become more and more aggressive these last years, and more and more relentless. You can't safely contradict it, or even argue it anywhere. These people are tired to feel like they're social outcasts all the time. The ALM movement is very symptomatic of this, people who have never been threatened who suddenly feel like they're treated like pariahs just because for once, they aren't included in something.

They want the left to just shut up for once, they're tired to be denounced at every step. And I do think the left has grown complacent, feeling so morally superior that it hasn't even deign to actually debate its views, brushing off contradicting opinions as racist, fascist, sexist, homophobic... Opinion with which, again, I tend to agree even though I don't like the attitude. But those who were left gagged and insulted with no one to defend them are really tired of the left's shit, I think. And now they want to be able to play that game too. That's what a Trump presidency will offer.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @Khrz , I don't think that's Trump's biggest audience, though. That's the REPUBLICAN'S biggest audience, has been for a long time, but Trump's biggest pull is related to the economy. His "Make America Great Again" slogan is primarily related to jobs and the economy. He appeals to Republican Obama-haters who think our economy is in the shitter (it isn't), hated the stimulus bill and believe it's the sole source of our national debt (it isn't), hate the TPP and NAFTA and believe that Trump will get rid of them and bring millions of jobs, etc. etc. Trump promises them jobs they didn't get back after the collapse of '08, economic security, etc. To them, Trump's billions represent success that they can have, too, if he is President, like an infomercial for those DVDs on how to flip houses.

Edit: And, really, his 2nd huge issue is national security, playing into the country's fears, of terrorism, etc. "I'm the law and order candidate" is his latest mantra, threatening to bar Muslims, vet Muslims, etc. He's saying he doesn't want the U.S. to be the world police, and will only enter conflicts if those country's have been loyal to the U.S., and it's funny but he bitches about Hillary voting for the Iraq war but his own V.P. choice did, too; now Trump says, yeah, well, everybody makes mistakes.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-22-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Brawl erupts at the RNC convention between The Young Turks and Alex Jones.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Of course he has a chance at winning: just like GWB "won", and then won again for real in 2004.

We're going to be sitting here, on election night, watching this shit unfold, incredulous, utterly miserable and inconsolable and afraid when he wins. I can see it happening, and liberals need to work their asses off to make sure it doesn't: first step: stop with the "he doesn't have a chance" narrative. What can it possibly achieve? Underestimating him helps him win. It's been like that since day one, and liberals are still underestimating him. Stop with that already.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 07-22-2016 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Of course he has a chance at winning: just like GWB "won", and then won again for real in 2004.
    Bush won in '04 because no sitting President has ever not won during "war time" and John Kerry allowed himself to be Swiftboated, not because liberals were complacent.

But, yes, sitting around not voting because one assumes that Clinton will win, anyway, or nobody cares, is a dumb fucking move (and is probably how Gore won, due to lack of the minority vote for him in southern states).

A key element in this election is the ACA and how it has benefitted African Americans who want to see it continue, which Clinton wants to do (with some positive revisions). Trump, of course, wants to dismantle it with the help of Congress; this, alone, is a huge incentive to get blacks to the pols to vote for Clinton. Clinton has continuously shown to have huge minority support, especially that of African Americans.

McCain lost due to lack of the minority vote. Romney lost due to lack of the minority vote. The Republicans simply cannot rely on angry white Americans to win the Presidency, anymore. A lot has changed since '00.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-22-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Brawl erupts at the RNC convention between The Young Turks and Alex Jones.

Alex Jones is a nutjob, but the way TYT handled that situation was terrible. Cenk flying into a blind rage, Ana calling Jones a "fat fuck" (which reveals she's a hypocrite when it comes to fat shaming. Plus Alex Jones is as big as Cenk is...) and Jimmy Dore spitting in his face. Icing on the cake? They edited these things out of their video of the incident.

I mean, Alex Jones is a dick for taking over their show, but would they have acted the same way if it were, say, Eric Andre did it (who was going around stealing other people's stages with no consequence for "comedic" purposes.)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^ Come on, I don't even have any desire to watch that, it's obviously a planned publicity stunt for ad hits. I refuse to contribute to those news whores. That ain't even real news, it's just ignorant greed.