Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fragile - the ULTIMATE re-issue

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Alan Moulder's audio interview done a couple of years ago: my favorite

A lot of TF talking.

Trent about recording TF: 'that was some of the best moments I had in my life creatively...'
    Alan: 'that was my "dark side of the moon"'

The WITT snare drum story is awesome too.
    Last edited by witte; 04-03-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    Alan Moulder's audio interview done a couple of years ago: my favorite

A lot of TF talking.

Trent about recording TF: 'that was some of the best moments I had in my life creatively...'
    Alan: 'that was my "dark side of the moon"'

The WITT snare drum story is awesome too.
    Boner killer once they stop talking about The Fragile and start with The Killers

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    Boner killer once they stop talking about The Fragile and start with The Killers
    the killers are pretty great, dude... man, if Alan Moulder loves 'em both, you'd think we all could too
    Last edited by screwdriver; 04-05-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typing before caffeine = typos

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I was just thinking... remember that awesome TV ad with Trent singing TWIOT a cappella at the end? If Trent decides to release the multitracks for the entire Fragile album like he did with Year Zero, I'd totally make a version of TWIOT like the ad.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    the killers are pretty great, dude... Man, if alan moulder loves 'em both, you'd think we all could do
    edit: Disaggree
    Last edited by witte; 04-05-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    !!! Fail !!!
    shut up you cunt and let other people have opinions

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    nine_inch_nerd, butter_hole - consider this a pre-warning warning. You've both veered off into bad territory with those last two posts.

Cut it out.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    Around 120 songs were eventually recorded for The Fragile
    Just spend a moment thinking about how it would feel if there were 90 some unreleased tracks that came with the deluxe edition.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strohbie View Post
    Just spend a moment thinking about how it would feel if there were 90 some unreleased tracks that came with the deluxe edition.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The mark of true expertise is knowing what to edit out - paraphrasing Frank Gehry

I guess it'd be cool with a couple of completely unheard songs. If they were anything like some of the vinyl/B-sides tracks (The New Flesh/10 Miles High)<-- two of my fav TF-era tracks. I doubt the material would live up to expectations/the stuff that was released and I wasn't that taken by the Niggy Startdust-material either.
    Last edited by hobochic; 04-07-2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: The dog

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I'm gonna guess that Alan was maybe using the word 'songs' generously and that a good portion of those were probably more like short interstitial pieces or just skeletal ideas. I mean, if we think about TR's lower level of output during those days and the fact that he was experiencing some major writer's block, I think it would have been very hard to crank out that many fully developed songs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I'm gonna guess that Alan was maybe using the word 'songs' generously and that a good portion of those were probably more like short interstitial pieces or just skeletal ideas. I mean, if we think about TR's lower level of output during those days and the fact that he was experiencing some major writer's block, I think it would have been very hard to crank out that many fully developed songs.
    Aaron North has been quoted saying that some of The Fragile leftovers are among his favorite NIN pieces.

edit: So yes, while a lot of the remnants were probably parts (reportedly put towards Niggy Tardust) there was still gold to be found.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentypewriters View Post
    Aaron North has been quoted saying that some of The Fragile leftovers are among his favorite NIN pieces.
    I believe his very favourite thing was actually "fucking with NIN fans' heads".

Seriously though, Mike Garson once said that he wanted to revisit his unreleased contributions from those sessions; TR should really drop a dime and get him back in the studio.
    Last edited by botley; 04-08-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That was a really good interview I hadn't heard, thank you for posting nine_inch_nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I was just thinking... remember that awesome TV ad with Trent singing TWIOT a cappella at the end? If Trent decides to release the multitracks for the entire Fragile album like he did with Year Zero, I'd totally make a version of TWIOT like the ad.
    I had to go back and watch those commercials, it had been quite awhile and damn they're awesome. There was also a short video where TRez was in a sound booth or something, whispering lyrics for a track that ended up on Things Falling Apart I believe. Multi tracks would be killer, even if they weren't available for every track on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    ... It was only put on the cassette version to fill up the time remaining on one side of the tape. It's, technically, a remix anyway.
    This is the first I have heard that Appendage was remix. More info? I looked on NIN wiki and it mentions that Appendage MAY be Please part 2 which neither confirms that it was filler or indicates that it was a remix.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    ^ err, you seem to have missed the part of the article on "Appendage" that shows attribution to Charlie Clouser. as in, the majority of its construction is attributed in the liner notes to Clouser. as in, it's a remix.

also, the song TR was whispering in the video is "The Great Collapse" (though he was apparently manipulated into a woman?!).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Kinda random but I've always thought of "Deep" as a leftover track from The Fragile sessions. It sounds like a sister track to "No, You Don't", "Where is Everybody" and "Please" in sound and production.
    Last edited by hobochic; 04-10-2012 at 02:20 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    back then everybody made fun of deep. now i'd kill for that kind of production from the NIN camp again.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The only silly thing about "deep" is the video...

Boo Berry!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Sure, "Deep" is a good song. I love the leaked 2005 rehearsal version of it. Mind you, it doesn't really live up to anything on "The Fragile", but that doesn't make it bad by any means. I'm sure it gets most of its bad rep because of Enda McCallion's shitfest of a video.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    and the especially asinine lyrics.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Well, a lot of NIN songs have cringeworthy lyrics. "Deep" is hardly the worst offender there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting the Moulder interview, interesting stuff.

Yes, Deep, love that song, badass bass sound on that mutha!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I like Trent in green slime!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Well, a lot of NIN songs have cringeworthy lyrics. "Deep" is hardly the worst offender there.
    with the exception of some stuff from pretty hate machine and 'not so pretty now,' i'd definitely rank this one among the worst.

i present to you the following lines for consideration:

"there's a big black hole, gonna eat me up someday"
    "some place, lost in space"
    "one track, get you on your back"

it's a shame too, since the music is pretty great, all things considered. but i just can't look past literary atrocities like that. tell me that's not just plain silly.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    with the exception of some stuff from pretty hate machine and 'not so pretty now,' i'd definitely rank this one among the worst.

it's a shame too, since the music is pretty great, all things considered. but i just can't look past literary atrocities like that. tell me that's not just plain silly.
    That's why it's my least favorite song. The lyrics are just atrocious and I expected better from Trent.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    oh and i suppose any number of songs from the last 10 years are superior? capital g anyone?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    no, you don't's lyrics are pretty awful, too.

he never really betters the opening 2 songs on the album, so no complaints there. dog lords;

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    oh and i suppose any number of songs from the last 10 years are superior? capital g anyone?
    I always assumed Capital G's lameness was part of it's whole light parody/mocking kinda thing it had going on.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post

I guess most people agree that PHM features some pretty dire lines, but consider this mixed selection:

"Covered in hope and Vaseline / Still cannot fix this broken machine"
    "Watching fate as it flows down the path we have chose" (of course, the same grammar fuck-up re-appears in "The Great Below")
    "I got my arms that flip flop flip flop flip"

Make no mistake, I love Nine Inch Nails regardless. But I'm not going to pretend Trent is as much a genius with lyrics as he is with music. Cause a lot of his lyrics are clichéed and awful. The lyrics of "Deep" are exactly what you'd expect.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-13-2012 at 03:54 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah, isn't "cheesiness" one of nin success factors?