Page 214 of 241 FirstFirst ... 114 164 204 212 213 214 215 216 224 ... LastLast
Results 6,391 to 6,420 of 7217

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Live samples, then sequenced. They're not a real performance, put it that way.
    And I'm going to maintain that's likely the case for every song on the album. Josh may have contributed with some one-shot samples, but that's probably it. I hear programming that has been miked for a less artificial sound, though some of the drum patterns (Letting You) still reveal their origins.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    And I'm going to maintain that's likely the case for every song on the album. Josh may have contributed with some one-shot samples, but that's probably it. I hear programming that has been miked for a less artificial sound, though some of the drum patterns (Letting You) still reveal their origins.
    Josh is drumming only on Demon Seed. I think it was a live take on top of the programmed beat, slightly chopped, but mostly retaining the "live drumming" feel. The rest of the album is totally programmed sound libraries (of live drums and synthetic sounds)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    No one is drumming on Demon Seed since no one did on Ghosts 38.

This reminds me, does anyone have a clip of Ilan drumming Demon Seed in an interview video, which surfaced prior to Soundwave '09 shows? All the old links are seem to be dead.
    Last edited by fillow; 09-20-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    This reminds me, does anyone have a clip of Ilan drumming Demon Seed in an interview video, which surfaced prior to Soundwave '09 shows? All the old links are seem to be dead.
    Drumchannel seems to have put the video behind a pay wall on their site.
    Here's a small teaser for it, featuring few seconds of Demon Seed at the end.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9o...n-of-nin_music

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    No one is drumming on Demon Seed since no one did on Ghosts 38.
    You're completely right! I thought that Ghosts 38 only had the electronic beat and assumed that the "extra" live drum sound I heard on Demon Seed was Josh Freese. In comparsion, Demon Seed has only got a bit more reverb on the live drums.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm a bit curious as to what the source of the chanting is in Find My Way. Sounds Native American. The other repeating sound reminds me of a distant train whistle in the middle of the night.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure all of the "live" drums on The Slip were done using Addictive Drums. I say this because I went out and purchased it after finding out that it was used on "Discipline" and liked the sound. Having used the program for many years now, I know it's capable of far more than how it appears to be used on that album (for an example of this, go to Artistic Expression and click on my thread, then listen to the track I linked to; that's not meant to be a plug either, I really don't care much for that song anymore). If you download the demo of Addictive Drums, the default kit they allow you to use is all you need to make a perfect re-creation of "Discipline." I'm sure you could do the same with the other tracks with "live" drums, as well, because they don't sound very modified. I'm not saying this to knock the software, I just think Trent and Co. could have done far better at masking it.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 09-20-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    I'm a bit curious as to what the source of the chanting is in Find My Way. Sounds Native American. The other repeating sound reminds me of a distant train whistle in the middle of the night.
    I'd say most of it is Trent? The stuff at the beginning definitely is.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
    You're completely right! I thought that Ghosts 38 only had the electronic beat and assumed that the "extra" live drum sound I heard on Demon Seed was Josh Freese. In comparsion, Demon Seed has only got a bit more reverb on the live drums.
    And to add to that (and repeat myself), the roomier sound is probably a result of the loop being miked to give it a more organic sound. I think it's a shame Trent has only shared this nugget with us now. In a way, I think this makes The Slip pretty innovative; an electronic, mostly programmed (probably), album that sounds very "live". Apparently to the point where a lot of listeners have trouble determining whether a sound is acoustic or electronic.

In a way, it's a missing link between the more raw, honest rock of With Teeth and the all-out glitch-electronica on Year Zero. Combine that idea with the business side and you've possibly got the most innovative Nine Inch Nails release of all time. That's not to say the music itself is innovative, but the execution of it sure is.

I liked The Slip to begin with, but knowing this has made me appreciate it on a whole other level. I still find Hesitation Marks to be a better album, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Probably mentioned to death, but I'm pretty bummed with the amount of messed up and lacking lyrics in the deluxe booklet. Like they didn't even bother. Also the second disc could at least include the little self-conversation + demos, these remixes aren't doing anything for me. And there are only three. BOO-HOO NAWT DELUXX ENUFF.

Album's the sex though. It's just so good as a whole.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i still think we were cheated because conversation was actually part of deluxe edition when album was announced and later it was moved to itunes only. bonus cd had the potential of being so much more than 3 remixes - they all fit on first cd anyway. bummer, bummer...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangster_ View Post
    I'm pretty bummed with the amount of messed up and lacking lyrics in the deluxe booklet.
    All the lyrics are included in my deluxe copy

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I still don't get why they didn't put the lyrics with the regular CD. I obviously get not putting the same amount of tracks and discs though. It sort of felt like getting With Teeth, but with a booklet that had no lyrics.

And knowing myself, I would actually get around getting the deluxe version anyway, since I don't mind collecting different version's of NIN releases, so it's not like I'm really complaining here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    LOL the par about getting with teeth with booklet but without lyrics are my exact thoughts, I bought the deluxe is a lot better in every aspect.... but the ruin - slip cd I hate those things

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesus View Post
    All the lyrics are included in my deluxe copy
    I think he means the way some lyrics are different or changed which is par for the course for NIN. It's been on every album because he includes the lyrics he writes which sometimes change by the time he sings them. I like it because it can sometimes give you some more insight into the song.

There's no excuse though for the extra apostrophes in Came Back Haunted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I think he means the way some lyrics are different or changed which is par for the course for NIN. It's been on every album because he includes the lyrics he writes which sometimes change by the time he sings them. I like it because it can sometimes give you some more insight into the song.

There's no excuse though for the extra apostrophes in Came Back Haunted.
    But the different lyrics are really cool! Who the hell would complain about something that begun in Pretty Hate Machine and as you say give insight into the song, well some people ,

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    i still think we were cheated because conversation was actually part of deluxe edition when album was announced and later it was moved to itunes only. bonus cd had the potential of being so much more than 3 remixes - they all fit on first cd anyway. bummer, bummer...
    i don't think it was ever meant to be included on the deluxe CD. i think it was always exclusive to the iTunes deluxe edition. which sucks.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    No from the very first announcement, the in conversation with was iTunes exclusive. I know thy for certain because I remember thinking it was stupid but didn't really care because I thought it would only be an interview. Other people misread the original announcement but that's not Trent's fault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    New music is complete shite

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy of A View Post
    ...says someone whose username is a song off the new album that said user thinks is bad.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    this is clearly a troll with nothing better to do. just look at his posts history.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Just, all new music. Music cannot be enjoyed until it is aged, like Stilton cheese or Scotch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Copy of a is the worst song ever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It has better hooks than the latter part of the album I think

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Here, have some attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Satellite is a DMB rip off

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Satellite is a DMB rip off
    You know, that's what I thought too. Satellite DOES sound a lot like Dave Matthews Band, which is what I assume DMB stands for?

Alittlenow, BABAAYYYY!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    They should've saved the remixes for a proper remix album instead of wasting an entire CD on three of them; those four remixes are the most interesting NIN remixes in ages. I'd like to hear more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    posting a month post-leak to confirm that this album still owns