Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013.08.02 - Chicago, Illinois @ Lollapalooza

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    We DO get tornadoes here. Even something close to a tornado brings high enough winds to be dangerous to tents and temporary stage structures. After all those people died from a collapsed stage from high winds in Indiana, nobody wants to take that chance again, the concert promoters and city are paranoid.

I honestly can't recall a tornado being within the city of Milwaukee or Chicago- too close to the lake and we'd be more likely to see an awesome water spout. Surrounding areas inland most definitely have that issue during tornado season (spring time in the Midwest). Indiana isn't around a massive lake like us, although you never know when a storm with huge wind gusts comes up.

Anyways back to not thinking about horrendous weather. :P

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Anyone care to pick up some t-shirts for me? PM if you can help. I'm still in Japan and have spotty internet until the next hotel. Thanks!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

2013.08.2 - Chicago, Illinois @ Lollapalooza

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I honestly can't recall a tornado being within the city of Milwaukee or Chicago
    See this:
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/05/...-chicago-area/

I was working in the Loop a few years ago when a storm hit that was SO bad, windows were blown out of skyscrapers including the Willis (Sears) Tower. Bolted-down tables in Daley Plaza were torn loose and flew into buildings. Chunks of concrete from buildings were in the streets. Then the high rises (including my office bldg on LaSalle) implemented storm procedures.

We're called the "Windy City" due to politics, not weather, but the weather here gets pretty fucked up. Last year I was stuck in traffic in my car on the Kennedy and the radio was warning of "rain wrapped" tornados above the Kennedy. wtf. Weather is why you should never fly in or out of O'Hare in the afternoon or evening during the summer. Cross your fingers. (I'd better not miss Steely Dan.)
    Last edited by allegro; 07-30-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No joke. When there is weather around the city, the buildings create these weird wind tunnels on the cross streets down in the loop. I saw a newspaper machine sliding down the street one evening near the CSO off Michigan Ave.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I dont even live there, but I have had some jacked up weather when I have gone to visit. I was just there last week covering Pitchfork Festival actually. The crazy lightning and storm cell that prolonged Pearl Jam, cancelled Phish and ultimately cut short Bjorks set was no joke. In 2008, the monday following Lollapalooza, I was returning the car I rented for the weekend. within 5 mins of entering their office and sorting things out, I went to the bus stop and rain came out of nowhere.

It ended up going away within 10 minutes or so, and settled down just enough for me to be able to get to the airport and catch my flight. I am on layover in Vegas and my phone blows up, my friends who were leaving later in the day, were stuck in the airport and were evacuated to the basement due to a crazy storm cell that came in off the lake. There were funnel clouds, but nothing touched down apparently. One of my friends who works in the loop called me from the stairwell of their office building telling me how insane it was.

So yeah, Chicago gets out of nowhere weather, accept this. Hope the forecast doesnt worsen within the next few days. At least the re entry policy is in place so they have a fail safe on letting everyone back into the park if they had to evacuate due to weather.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    I In 2008, the monday following Lollapalooza, I was returning the car I rented for the weekend. within 5 mins of entering their office and sorting things out, I went to the bus stop and rain came out of nowhere.

It ended up going away within 10 minutes or so, and settled down just enough for me to be able to get to the airport and catch my flight. I am on layover in Vegas and my phone blows up, my friends who were leaving later in the day, were stuck in the airport and were evacuated to the basement due to a crazy storm cell that came in off the lake.
    I remember that - we were supposed to fly out that year on Monday about about 10am, and didn't get out until 6:30pm. We were on the Blue line going to O'Hare at like 8am and it was really dark. We didn't get sent to the basement though, but I think power may have gone out for a while.

We are driving this year. Its 800+ miles - doing 200 tomorrow night, then the rest Thursday.

If Robert Smiths' makeup runs we won't be able to tell - it kind of always looks like that. But I am super excited to see The Cure again - they do great shows.

Here is a link apparently, to a Lolla live stream

http://www.thespacelab.tv/SpacelabMe....html#schedule
    Last edited by redshoewearer; 07-30-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Adding things

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The live stream is on YouTube, but it seems to be a few acts...not most of the show this time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    The live stream is on YouTube, but it seems to be a few acts...not most of the show this time.
    Not to mention NIN and other headliners are being broadcast at 10pm.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redshoewearer View Post
    I've never done streaming but are we sure Lolla will be streaming for people? Sometimes it seems like they stream everything but what you actually wanted to see (the year Eminem played that was not streamed much to my disappointment).
    Yep, they've released their streaming schedule, NIN is being streamed but it's going to be on a delay, starting at 10 PM CDT:

Friday, August 2nd:
    02:30 pm – Smith Westerns
    03:30 – Icona Pop
    04:15 – Crystal Castles
    05:15 – Imagine Dragons
    06:15 – Queens of the Stone Age
    07:30 – Band of Horses
    08:30 – The Killers
    10:00 – Nine Inch Nails

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    For those who care, I'm bringing 3 copies of TOIOU's Another Version of the Truth DVD (Gift only). I'll be hiding them downtown during the weekend. Keep an eye on the twitter feed : @thisoneisonus

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Queens of the Stone Age to follow the Killers? I'm insulted. They should go on after the Killers and then follow NIN. Maybe we get a chance to see Trent sing "Kalopsia" and "Fairweather Friends" with the band.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Queens of the Stone Age to follow the Killers? I'm insulted. They should go on after the Killers and then follow NIN. Maybe we get a chance to see Trent sing "Kalopsia" and "Fairweather Friends" with the band.
    And don't forget ERA VULGARIS...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redshoewearer View Post
    I remember that - we were supposed to fly out that year on Monday about about 10am, and didn't get out until 6:30pm. We were on the Blue line going to O'Hare at like 8am and it was really dark. We didn't get sent to the basement though, but I think power may have gone out for a while.

We are driving this year. Its 800+ miles - doing 200 tomorrow night, then the rest Thursday.

If Robert Smiths' makeup runs we won't be able to tell - it kind of always looks like that. But I am super excited to see The Cure again - they do great shows.

Here is a link apparently, to a Lolla live stream

http://www.thespacelab.tv/SpacelabMe....html#schedule
    I remember that year as well. My flight was at 7 or 8 in the morning and I remember seeing that storm brewing. I managed to get out before it hit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Wasn't Trent Reznor and company stuck at the airport that time, too? I seem to remember him tweeting about it or something.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninperu View Post
    And don't forget ERA VULGARIS...
    Oh yeah, that song too. Maybe have Josh play on a NIN song later that night.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

2013.08.2 - Chicago, Illinois @ Lollapalooza

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Wasn't Trent Reznor and company stuck at the airport that time, too? I seem to remember him tweeting about it or something.
    Yes I think they were.

We are now in Rochester on our way!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Hey ya'll. Are there official Lollapalooza posters with the event lineup and all that? I need a fuggin poster seeing as I doubt NIN's got its own for the festival...

Edit: NVM There's this at least...

http://store.lollapalooza.com/collections/posters
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-01-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Leaving MN in 5, 4, shit I forgot how to count. Whatever, we are on our way!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Looks like a tweet of the QOTSA set list if anyone wants to take a peak:

http://twitter.com/SchroederSpeak/st...788545/photo/1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Butterflies already.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i got that 2008 poster. one of my faves.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Alright, in Chicago at the Congress Plaza hotel right across the street from the entrance of the festival. Pretty stoked, less than 24 hours to go!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Into The Void was played at soundcheck, FYI.

GET STOKED.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Pmed ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post

GET STOKED.
    whhaaaaaat ????? seriously ? one of my favorite ever making its comeback ?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post

GET STOKED.
    Oops, guess I should stop looking at this thread now... I do not want anything spoiled this close to the show, I have managed to avoid looking at both setlists this far.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Not sure if that was an actual sound check of band/instruments- sounded more like a recorded version off The Fragile?...

Meh, barring a catostrophe we'll be there shortly.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Not sure if that was an actual sound check of band/instruments- sounded more like a recorded version off The Fragile?...

Meh, barring a catostrophe we'll be there shortly.
    It's possible, but my friend who lives in Chicago FaceTime'd me while she was walking near Grant Park as NIN were sound checking and testing out the video equipment.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    ^^^ Fair enough, thanks!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Could NIN have a different stage set up for the US festival shows? Here's a snap shot of the vid from above- it clearly has rounded LED banners at the top of the stage that I don't see from the Japan show: