Henry really showed his ass on this one, & he comes off like a judgmental, ignorant prick. Stating that everyone who commits suicide "blew it" is a pretty sweeping indictment. He's basically reinforcing the idea that people who commit suicide are just a bunch of selfish assholes who don't have the mental fortitude to endure tough situations. And to add insult to injury, he implies that one's entire body of life accomplishments is negated solely by how they exited this world. Simplistic much? That's one hell of a black & white world he's living in, must be nice. He talks about how no one can understand another's personal torment & that he's no doctor, then turns around & tells suffering people to just "hang in there" & blathers some warm fuzzy "life is what you make it" mantra. Are you fucking kidding me? That is some weak-ass shit right there. Yeah Henry, we get that Joe Cole's death was tragic & senseless & deeply scarred you, but indirectly offering him up as a reason to stick around is asinine when the people you're directing that message to are in the grips of severe emotional pain & didn't know your friend. Maybe Henry needs to take his own advice & get the fuck over it already.

I understand where he's coming from in many regards, but his fundamental mistake is trying to see an irrational act such as suicide as a logical choice people are capable of making. That's just not the way it is. I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion on the ethics/rationale of suicide, but this is a great article that breaks down some of the myths surrounding suicide & depression.

The cherry on top is where Henry tells us he has "life by the neck" & is dragging it along. Seriously? The man is one big cliche. Massive loss of respect for Hank on this one. I respect his right to have an opinion about this topic, I just don't agree w/one word of it. Let's face it, suicide is a no-win situation for everyone involved. There is no bright side, period. But lambasting & shaming people who are mentally ill is loathsome & does nothing to address the issue itself.