Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Foo Fighters

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

fuck.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Fuck this bullshit, Taylor will be missed. Gutted about this.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Not a fan of the band but wow, that’s terrible timing. RIP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This sucks. What a great fucking guy he was. One of my favorite drummers.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Damn... just... damn. RIP, dude. I always remember in the Foos doc where they're getting together at Dave's and as Taylor and the fam walks up the driveway he just goes "LOOK AT THE HAWKINS!"

I don't know why it was so funny to me, but it really showed the brotherhood in the band.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Taylor was such a lovely human being.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/26/us/yo...rnd/index.html

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Not a fan of the band but wow, that’s terrible timing. RIP
    Same: I'm not a big FF fan, although they've certainly got some.good songs.

But jesus. 50?

And he seems like SUCH a good dude: my wife is big into Alanis Morrisette and we watched a documentary with him in it...he was her drummer for awhile, and just, goddamn.

That's rough.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Idk how accurate this is. Goddam this all just sucks.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/taylor-...officials-say/

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Man how many more fucking legends from the 90s alternative scene are we going to lose to fucking drug overdoses.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    From Grohl's book, released last year... Damn.

Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 03-28-2022 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I can't even imagine how Taylor's family, friends and the entire Foo Fighters team must be feeling at the moment. The band seems like a close-knit family that loves to be in each other's company on stage and everywhere else, and he had such an energetic and friendly demeanor that affected everyone in the best possible way.

Foo Fighters Live created a memorial wall for Taylor where you can post messages and pictures:

https://taylorhawkins.foofighterslive.com/
    Last edited by acrid avid jam shred; 03-27-2022 at 08:00 AM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    If anyone cares to check it out, there's a pretty decent stream of their last show 5 days before Taylor's passing. It's a pretty great show and a perfect example of just how fun the Foo are and how much they mean to people all around the world. And Taylor was a huge part of that. Halfway through the show there's a 10 minute segment of him getting the mic while Dave takes the drums and they do a Queen cover. I was lucky enough to see them live twice and they do this sort of thing at every show and it'll never be the same again.

If you need any indication of what Taylor meant to the band and the fans, just look at how the crowd in Argentina cheers for him before Dave even says his name as he's doing band introductions.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The band has just cancelled all of their upcoming tour dates, and I wonder if they will be able to continue or not. I'd understand if they decide to break up after this, it was a good run, and at least I got to see Taylor with the Foos almost 10 years ago, in Vancouver. It was the broken leg tour, such a blast. Still can't process what happened to Taylor.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    A surprise to no one...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All FF tour dates nixed (including several sold out shows, festivals, etc.), per tweet today.

Popular take: This was the right (only?) thing to do.

Unpopular takes: The Show Must Go On (Exh A - Dave's broken leg). They had a full month to adjust, adapt. The power of love through perseverance and tribute outweighs the solitude of grief. Fans are a community, a source of support, upon which the band can draw. It's what Taylor Hawkins would have wanted. Could donate tour proceeds to charity, Taylor's widow, etc. Dave just seems like the kind of person who's happiest performing and working, even though he has the privilege of wealth to last multiple lifetimes, and can pick and choose his hobbies and distractions with relative impunity. An amazing opportunity for young, up-and-coming drummer(s).

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I think later on they may do some acoustic/unplugged kind of tour or one-off tribute performance, where they won't need drums or where Dave himself can play some while singing.
    But death is of course on a whole different level than a broken leg, and it's totally understood they need some time off, even if they aren't breaking up.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I think the right thing for them to do is whatever the fuck the members of the band decide is right for them.

Bands are like families, every one is different and they will deal with this in their own way and in their own time. Whatever they decide when the time comes, I hope fans have the decency to support them in that decision. This isn't easy on anyone that's a fan, sure, but that is such a small deal compared to the effect on the family and the band.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I think later on they may do some acoustic/unplugged kind of tour or one-off tribute performance, where they won't need drums or where Dave himself can play some while singing.
    But death is of course on a whole different level than a broken leg, and it's totally understood they need some time off, even if they aren't breaking up.
    Yeah, I could see this type of thing happening. Dave Grohl is like Trent in that he'll never stop making & performing music. Foo Fighters as a group will probably come to an end though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volk View Post
    Foo Fighters as a group will probably come to an end though.
    I originally thought that, too, but that statement was signed “Foo Fighters,” and not “Dave, Nate, Chris, Pat, and Rami.”

I think that was very intentional.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    It's morbid to be talking about less than a week out but I'd be shocked if the subject wasn't discussed prior...as a 'what if?' sort of thing. Dave is keenly aware of the subject, Pat too I'd imagine, so they probably have a starting point to the discussion once they take whatever time they need to grieve and process.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Obviously, I'm not the one to decide, but I'd bet this is the end of the Foo Fighters, and I'd bet that Dave takes at least a couple years off music, and never returns to the touring cycle with a band the way he has before.

When Taylor OD'd and was in a coma for a couple weeks, Dave said he thought seriously about quitting music. He's also talked recently about how he's had to read lips for years because he's lost his hearing after being on stage so much. He's not in the same position he was when Kurt Cobain died either, he's not so young that he can't retire....he's 53, and he's got the money to be able to do that if he wants to just spend his time with his family.

My bet is that Dave lives a semi-retired life from here on out, with only occasional forays back into the music world. If that's the case, you really can't fault the guy for it.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    Obviously, I'm not the one to decide, but I'd bet this is the end of the Foo Fighters, and I'd bet that Dave takes at least a couple years off music, and never returns to the touring cycle with a band the way he has before.

When Taylor OD'd and was in a coma for a couple weeks, Dave said he thought seriously about quitting music. He's also talked recently about how he's had to read lips for years because he's lost his hearing after being on stage so much. He's not in the same position he was when Kurt Cobain died either, he's not so young that he can't retire....he's 53, and he's got the money to be able to do that if he wants to just spend his time with his family.

My bet is that Dave lives a semi-retired life from here on out, with only occasional forays back into the music world. If that's the case, you really can't fault the guy for it.
    Absolutely. Especially if that means more guest appearances on NIN albums ala With Teeth.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Absolutely. Especially if that means more guest appearances on NIN albums ala With Teeth.
    I can't imagine going through that process twice with Kurt and now Taylor. Just unbelievable trauma.

Anyway, maybe he'll just do more side projects like Crooked Vultures etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/remem...-performances/

I'm having a full grieving session to this tonight. feel free to join me!

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    I think it's actually Awitha TEETH-a.

I'm with @burnmotherfucker! . Plenty of bands have showed us that it's possible to persevere, despite line-up changes: hell, there are bands who have literally NO original members.

And then there are bands like Zeppelin, who couldn't fathom continuing with anyone else, full stop.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Good GOD this performance is face melting-ly awesome. Especially the drum solo around the 7 minute mark. Sometimes I feel like the Foo get pigeonholed by non fans because they have so many well known hits with memorable choruses. But they blow the doors off everywhere they play live. It's also crazy to me how both back then and now, their crowds are always so big. They never fell off the way most bands do after all this time. And they are just so much FUN when they do this sort of shit.

I'm still gutted knowing this is just gone now. Couldn't have happened to a nicer group of guys.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    ^^^Nice.

I still like the first album, and the next couple of albums each have some songs that I really dig.
    Also, I have always loved the version of "Walking After You" from the X-Files: Fight The Future soundtrack. And their cover of "Requiem" by Killing Joke is great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Good GOD this performance is face melting-ly awesome. Especially the drum solo around the 7 minute mark. Sometimes I feel like the Foo get pigeonholed by non fans because they have so many well known hits with memorable choruses. But they blow the doors off everywhere they play live. It's also crazy to me how both back then and now, their crowds are always so big. They never fell off the way most bands do after all this time. And they are just so much FUN when they do this sort of shit.

I'm still gutted knowing this is just gone now. Couldn't have happened to a nicer group of guys.

I remember getting that Hyde Park gig DVD along with Wembley Stadium 2008 and the Everywhere but Home one for Christmas years ago. I've got fond memories of watching them back to back countless times. They are incredible live!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    From Grohl's book, released last year... Damn.

"...a man from whom I would take a bullet" ?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Still from a video I made during their latest Hungarian gig (Sziget Festival, 2019).
    Hard to believe that he's gone. I am totally heartbroken.