Page 45 of 66 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1973

Thread: Add Violence

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinperiod1 View Post
    One of trents biggest fans and critics. IDK, I don't love it right now. It's ok.
    agreed, the lovers has that vintage frantic/creepy atmosphere that makes nin so unique, but other than that this is a pretty forgettable collection of sounds with some lyrics thrown over the top (or buried beneath).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    Shitty pop punk? Kinda Green Day? I don't get any of that. I hear The Cure all over that track.
    Yeah and in my personal view Everything seemed like a pretty bold step for a NIN song. It's a particularly brilliant description of managing manic depression or an addiction.

On topic though and I'd agree that the ADD VIOLENCE EP has an odd flow to it - I think back to Broken and how tight that feels as an EP, these don't have that same feeling. The songs are great, and some will become firm favourites don't get me wrong about that, however I don't know if they will hold up as well as Broken as a collection. From what it sounds like, there's a three part purpose to these EPs and a potential full companion album that combines them in some way, so I guess time will tell how this will evolve and that might be the ultimate point of this collection.
    Last edited by acidpits; 07-25-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidpits View Post
    Yeah and in my personal view Everything seemed like a pretty bold step for a NIN song. It's a particularly brilliant description of managing manic depression or an addiction.

On topic though and I'd agree that the ADD VIOLENCE has an odd flow to it - I think back to Broken and how tight that feels as an EP, these don't have that same feeling. The songs are great, and some will become firm favourites don't get me wrong about that, however I don't know if they will hold up as well as Broken as a collection. From what it sounds like, there's a three part purpose to these EPs and a potential full companion album that combines them in some way so I guess time will tell how this will evolve and that might be the ultimate point of this collection.
    Broken is a f'ing masterpiece, Add Violence cannot hold a candle to one note on any Broken track. Let's all stop being ridiculous, it's a mediocre EP that everyone will rave about for the foreseeable future and will be an afterthought in the NIN catalog as the yrs pass.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loopcloses View Post
    Has anybody else toyed at all with making a mix of both EPs and trying to get it to flow right?
    I will probably wait until the final EP is released to do that. It'll be interesting to see how it all flows together in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    Let's all stop being ridiculous...
    We'll stop being ridiculous when you stop making words shorter for no discernible reason. Deal?
    Last edited by BRoswell; 07-25-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Broken is a f'ing masterpiece, Add Violence cannot hold a candle to one note on any Broken track. Let's all stop being ridiculous, it's a mediocre EP that everyone will rave about for the foreseeable future and will be an afterthought in the NIN catalog as the yrs pass.
    I think this sentence that will follow belongs into "controversial NIN opinions" but...: Broken pales in comparison to the rest of the NIN discography just like Pretty Hate Machine and is overrated

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    That's a bold statement, you might like it or not, but it's far from mediocre. A mediocre EP or album would be a rehash of old material without daring to do anything different... taking the easy route, sort of giving depressive old goth nerds a Broken 2.0 or TDS-the revenge or some derivative shit like that. The flow in AV is odd, but to be fair, I haven't had the chance to listen to it from beginning to end without interruptions, so my perception might change once I give it a fre runs.

The material is impeccable. TITP is one of the most haunting and beautiful songs TR has ever made. Not anymore is just full of something that makes me feel a but angsty and uneasy. Less Than is pure punch and it's that part of NIN that has a more dance vibe to it that has been present from the very beginning. TBW is a great song too, it might be too much all about the long outro, but it's a great way to end the EP, and to me it doesn't feel long or unnecessary, the loop is fucking cool and hypnotizing. The Lovers... i don't know what to feel about it, it kicks me out of my NIN comfort zone, it feels unpredictable, but I like that.

I'm glad TR moved on and is not catering to the 37 angry fans that got stuck in specific parts of his career. I guess that is what separates the artist from those who just master their craft. To each their own, I guess, but I'm always thrilled by the challenge of new NIN/TR material... it could be something familiar or a complete surprise, it is that unpredictability that keeps me coming back for more... as much as i like it, i just can't have pizza for lunch every day.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidpits View Post

On topic though and I'd agree that the ADD VIOLENCE EP has an odd flow to it - I think back to Broken and how tight that feels as an EP, these don't have that same feeling. The songs are great, and some will become firm favourites don't get me wrong about that, however I don't know if they will hold up as well as Broken as a collection. From what it sounds like, there's a three part purpose to these EPs and a potential full companion album that combines them in some way, so I guess time will tell how this will evolve and that might be the ultimate point of this collection.
    Life is the ultimate point of the collection.
    your born into an environment you didn't create. you are shaped by and are therefore a by-product of this environment. you have self realization and then start to analyze and define who you are by the choices you have made. when you become aware of this reality (dogma definition of you; you are defined by the choices you make in life. you are the sum of all of those choices made.)
    review the life you have lived and decide if you like who you are, if who you are is who you really wanted to be, if who you are is who you still want to be, and then do you want to redefine yourself. then realize the potential-energy is inside of you to change that definition of 'you'
    and it goes on and on and on until you are no longer.

of course lost in there somewhere is the context of 'you' defined by others and do you want to live in that shadow
    just my guess/interpretation(?)
    the van and broken and the strong hint of harshness returning to the music leads one (or just me) to believe that self exploration of the traveler is returning to the past to look for something that was lost and we are all taking this journey with the traveler as they search for this missing element to fix this broken machine before the copy degrades to a point where it is no longer decipherable--death of the machine and all it had to offer

-ok now i've even confused/lost myself in all of this jabbering
    Last edited by muse-lyre candy; 07-25-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I think this sentence that will follow belongs into "controversial NIN opinions" but...: Broken pales in comparison to the rest of the NIN discography just like Pretty Hate Machine and is overrated
    To elaborate on this.

In my opinion, Broken doesn't even come close to featuring Trent's abbilities, it feels like a preparation for the big bang and that being The Downward Spiral which did everything Broken did much better and then added tons of other elements into it.

Just NTAE alone in my book surpassed Broken for being much more interesting listen, you can argue that Broken is more agressive, which I'd agree with. But apart from the raw anger, compared to the rest of the NIN albums it does not have the soundcapes and varied moods other NIN work provides.

Add Violence alone to me is much more interesting and daring, has more variety and toys with your expectations. The calm anxious moments makes the explosion of "Not Anymore" that much more suddenly effective. It feels like a journey of emotions. Something Broken does not offer.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    It's funny. It's almost as if people have different opinions about things.

Can we stop talking about albums and songs like they're objectively better or worse than other ones and stick to discussing our own feelings and connections to them? If you say, "I'm not a big fan of [ALBUM/SONG]," those of us who disagree can hear, respect, and respond to your opinion and move on. If you say, "[ALBUM/SONG] is a piece of shit," those of us who disagree are liable to have our feelings hurt, become defensive, and altogether have less of a good time hanging out in a place where we came to talk about (and yes, criticize) an artist we all love.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

an exploration of 'true' self and into all things you are taught to deny, ignore, abstain, look away from....

Offering Real Authentic Unprocessed, Unrefined/ Raw Emotion
    anger
    frustration
    madness
    hurt
    anxiety
    confusion
    excitement
    curiostity
    desire

the allure of all things taught, not to trust/like/entertain /believe/faith in
    a big fuck you to the environment that shaped your beginning identity into an absolute copy of themselves
    fuck you; this is who i am, i am here to stay, I'm out and I'm proud and get the fuck used to it-feel

part of the journey of -the becoming- the meaning and 'being' of true self...
    ooops! i can't seem to remember which album i was listening to when i wrote this.
    Last edited by muse-lyre candy; 07-25-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Macbeth View Post
    Also, does anyone feel like both EP's are way more connected to With Teeth, The Slip, and Hesitation Marks than Year Zero?

I don't feel like there's that much of a connection to With Teeth, other than some elements sounding like "Right Where It Belongs." However, I do think a lot of musical elements on Add Violence are very reminiscent of Ghosts. I get Year Zero vibes, musically and vocally. I am also reminded of The Slip, especially with the vocals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eichalvindore View Post
    Life is the ultimate point of the collection.
    your born into an environment you didn't create. you are shaped by and are therefore a by-product of this environment. you have self realization and then start to analyze and define who you are by the choices you have made. when you become aware of this reality (dogma definition of you; you are defined by the choices you make in life. you are the sum of all of those choices made.)
    review the life you have lived and decide if you like who you are, if who you are is who you really wanted to be, if who you are is who you still want to be, and then do you want to redefine yourself. then realize the potential-energy is inside of you to change that definition of 'you'
    and it goes on and on and on until you are no longer.

of course lost in there somewhere is the context of 'you' defined by others and do you want to live in that shadow
    just my guess/interpretation(?)
    the van and broken and the strong hint of harshness returning to the music leads one (or just me) to believe that self exploration of the traveler is returning to the past to look for something that was lost and we are all taking this journey with the traveler as they search for this missing element to fix this broken machine before the copy degrades to a point where it is no longer decipherable--death of the machine and all it had to offer

-ok now i've even confused/lost myself in all of this jabbering
    Precisely! You said it better than I have done.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    There are two out of five songs on AV that don't follow verse-chorus structure and that is really cool.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i know one secret of AV for sure: it shall be played on repeat 'cause TBW flows so well into LT

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Amazon claims the CD release date has been pushed from September 1 to September 15

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Amazon claims the CD release date has been pushed from September 1 to September 15
    yeah I got an email stating the same.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Nice to see the EP download in the top 10 of both the UK and US Amazon stores. No idea how it's doing on streaming sites or iTunes though

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Nice to see the EP download in the top 10 of both the UK and US Amazon stores. No idea how it's doing on streaming sites or iTunes though
    Amazing to see Trent being this relevant and popular nearly 30 years into his career.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Amazing to see Trent being this relevant and popular nearly 30 years into his career.
    It's really something. Nostalgia with none of the downsides as this is genuinely great new material (seriously — still kind of amazed at how good Add Violence is, after being interested in NIN more out of loyalty than genuine passion for awhile, though there were always some great songs throughout the years even though I felt the albums were very uneven after Still, and lost a lot of the texture that I loved from earlier NIN. NTAE has grown on me as well. Additional bonus: NTAE is great driving music.)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Finally, finally, everyone seems to be asleep ... but me.
    This is like a 10/10 moment for me. Having established that line in the EP before made this such a huge mindfuck for me. Can't really describe it, but it's almost like the whole story is unfolding right in front of you and drawing you in. Great story-telling.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My general sense is that there is nothing specifically related to the YZ ARG on these three EPs, but rather that NIN is just using established imagery and motifs to play with ideas of personal illusion and social tension. To me, the EPs would kind of be cheapened if they were part of the YZ ARG.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Whenever I see or think of the title for this EP a short clip from Less Than plays in my head where Trent sings, "add violence." That has never happened before.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Whenever I see or think of the title for this EP a short clip from Less Than plays in my head where Trent sings, "add violence." That has never happened before.
    Not even with UHWITHUH TEETHUH?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    awitha teetha is what i think/hear

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    addduhalilvahlence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Lovers is so damn good. Trent's vocals in the chorus are perfect. Really digging how sonically dense the whole EP is, it proves that T&A are in a league of their own when it comes to creating detailed songs.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    OK I've really listened to nothing but random bowie and add violence till now since it's release. For me this is top 3. As much as we do, it's hard to rank nin because each release is tied up with memories of life and the build up and everything else. Like, with teeth is not my favorite but the build up was incredible. The fragile is my favorite but the Internet wasn't a tool like like it is now. Year zero arg....the slip here ya go release.....on and on my point being, I feel like those fun things bleed into my memories when I look back at how I felt about music right at release. I can remember texting my friend that HM was their best album the day I heard it. It's just the excitement of new nin. This is why I waited till now to review. I could tell and hear and feel it was special and I wanted to let that sink in.

I loved NTAE'S sound as a whole. Love branches/bones, dear world, and burning bright (the megaphone live is unnecessary IMO). She's gone and the idea are the two that I still don't fully appreciate. I like the sounds but they are just kind of boring to me, same two notes over and over and over. I don't dislike them. But dw and bb(fof) were SO good, they made up for the two 'meh' tracks. I didn't like my violent heart till HM era, one day it just clicked so maybe that will happen.

AV is amazing. Every single note is flawless and interesting. I don't dislike or even think 'meh' to any moment. Truly a masterpiece. I hope he's proud of this one. It sits with TF and TDS for me. The crowning achievement being the background world which might be my favorite song of all time at this point.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 07-29-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Not Anymore is the shit. My reaction to it upon my first listen was, "Oh, fuck yes!"

That certainly makes for yet another awesome/excellent closer.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Reposting here in case anyone missed it and wants to hear me, @OSLIN, and @botley be equally confused and aroused by Add Violence for two hours. Editing by the great @eversonpoe. Enjoy!

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...853#post368853

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Noticed something cool when I was updating my bpm database....